3: Bye House

Network Error

 

(Haeri's about 6 here.)

The loud yells from the kitchen nearly shook the house causing Haeri to stumble from her bed and open the door. She couldn’t see anything from her view of the hall but listened intently to the conversation going on. “This was the last time!” her brother pleaded. “You’ve said that hundreds of times Kwon Jiyong! You’re skipping your classes, avoiding coming home and you practically live at the police station! What will you do with your life, living this way?” her father replied sternly, voice raised. Haeri stealthy moved to the end of the hall to look into the kitchen. Her mother was leaning against the sink beside her father who had his arms crossed. She seemed transfixed by the kitchen tile, flinching at her husbands harsh words and wishing she could stop him and send her baby to bed. Her older brother seemed tired and looked over as he noticed her, panic in his eyes. He didn’t want her to see this; he didn’t want her think differently of him. “Yah, pay attention!” her father called, making Jiyong turn back.  “Let’s call it a night, yeah?” he pleaded again, clasping his hands together. Her father shook his head, leaning away from the counter. “No. We’ve had enough of your antics. You’re setting a bad example for your sister and your mother and I intend to have at leastone child we’re proud of.” A pain hit Haeri's chest at the words and, though he stared intently at the floor, she knew her brother must have felt it too. “Leave, Jiyong. Go with your gang and don’t bother coming back. All you do is cause your family trouble over and over. You don’t show any shame in your actions and you’ll never change. Pack up and be gone by morning. You won’t tarnish our family name anymore.” her father added darkly. Jiyong’s head shot up, “You can’t be serious!” He turned to his mother in disbelief but found no comfort as she looked away and buried her face in her husband’s sleeve. “Yeobo..i-isn’t this too harsh?” she whispered. He shook her off and glared. “Absolutely not. You want this troublemaker around our daughter?! Do you want Haeri to grow up a gangster too? You know how much she loves him!” “That’s what I’m saying, you can’t do this to Jiyong because what will happen to Haeri?” Her father looked back to the teenager and shrugged. “She’ll have to understand that her big brother was a bad man and wasn’t someone she should’ve cared so much about.” “That’s not true!” Jiyong defended, crossing his arms. “I’m nothing but careful around Haeri. You really think she’ll grow up to be like me? You think I would let her? I know this isn’t right of me to be this way but it’s not something I’ll willingly change. Kicking me out won’t stop me.” Her father sighed and shook his head, leaning off the counter. “I don’t know how we raised such a boy. I really thought you would be better than this Kwon Jiyong.” He fished his wallet from his pocket and sifted through it, holding out $100. “Go pack.” Jiyong looked at the money incredulously. “Are you really going to kick me out for this? For following in your footsteps? You’re supposed to be proud of me! Of all people you’re supposed to be proud!” Her father tensed and took the money back. “Don’t ever come back.” He reminded, pushing past his son and heading to his room. Her mother let out her tears and rushed forward to hug her son, rubbing his back. “I’m so sorry honey.” Jiyong felt numb but nodded and hugged her back, “It’s not your fault Umma. You would’ve stopped him if you could.” “Don’t listen to him, yeah? Stay here, I’ll talk to him! You don’t have to go-“ Jiyong shook his head and smiled, patting his mother’s back. “I do have to go. We both know you’ll never persuade him from this. I’ll be ok and I’ll keep in touch somehow, but you have to promise me you’ll take care of Haeri, ok?” His mother nodded and moved away, looking him over. “Aigoo, my boy is so strong now. If your father still believed these ways were right he’d be proud of you.” She pulled twenty dollars from her pocket and shoved it into his hands. “This is all I have right now, but use it wisely and be careful, yeah?” “I can’t take this.” He replied softly but she shook her head, giving him a look of understanding. “I know how it is to live on your own this young, Jiyong. You’ll need it.” She gave him another long hug before heading back to her room.

Jiyong sunk to his knees, his hands moving over his eyes as he breathed in and out. Once the click of the door came, signaling her parents were now out of earshot Haeri broke from the wall and ran to put her arms around her big brother. “Don’t listen to them Oppa, don’t go! You’re a good person!”  He shook his head and moved to hug her tightly. “I have to go baby. I’m not a good person, you shouldn’t think so kindly of me.” “You can’t! I won’t let you! You wouldn’t leave me, would you? You wouldn’t leave me here..” “I have to. I’m sorry, it’s my fault.” He started to get up but Haeri tugged on his hand. “Take me with you Oppa, yeah?” He smiled and shook his head again, tears finally spilling out. “I can’t do that. It’s just me that can go. You have to stay here and be good for Umma and Appa, ok? You have to grow up better than me.” Haeri pouted and hugged him again. “You have to take me! If you don’t…I’ll…run away!” He ruffled her hair and removed her hand, beginning to walk back to his room as she followed closely behind. “I will! You’ll never see me again Oppa, won’t that make you sad?” He took a bag from his closet and sighed before taking clothes from his dresser. “I’ll keep in touch somehow, Haeri-ah.” She crawled onto the bed and watched him pack. “Please take me with you Oppa. I’ll be good; I’ll leave you alone I promise! Don’t leave me here by myself!” “No Haeri! Stop asking, you’re making Oppa sad!” he snapped, throwing his shoes into the bag in frustration. “Just take me with you!” “I can’t! I would if I could, Haeri, I would but I can’t! You know I love you, but I really can’t take you this time! Don’t you know how sad Umma and Appa would be if you left them?” She looked away as he continued packing. “I don’t love them. I don’t want to stay with them, I want to go with you!” “Haeri stop!” “TAKE ME WITH YOU!” she cried, kicking her feet and letting her own tears begin falling out of desperation. He sighed heavily and gave in, knowing she wouldn’t ease up anytime soon. “Yah. Write them a letter and tell them you’re going with me and why. We could get in a lot of trouble because of this, they might think I kidnapped you. You have to tell them you want to go.” She looked up at him through the tears with a wide smile and nodded, quickly getting off the bed to write her goodbye letter. “It’s going to be really hard, you know that?” he asked as he zipped up his bag. “I know Oppa, I’ll be good I promise!” He moved to stand behind her, looking over her shoulder as she wrote. “I’m serious Haeri-ah. We might not always have food to eat or a bed to sleep in. If things are too hard I’ll have to leave you with Seunghyun’s grandma for a little bit. Are you sure this is what you want? Are you sure you want this hard life when you can stay here and have plenty of food and toys and things?” “Stop asking Oppa! I want to go with you, I’ll always be on your side! Haeri’s strong, don’t you know?” She scribbled her name on the letter and handed it over for him to read. “Alright, you have to be quiet in the hall ok?” he whispered, taking her hand and moving towards the door. She nodded and moved her hands to show her zipping her lips as they tip toed to her room so she could pack a small backpack.

Once outside he turned to her, kneeling down. “This is it, Haeri-ah. Are you really sure you won’t stay here?” She nodded, “I’m super sure!” He stood up and turned to grab his helmet, putting it over her head. “Alright. Let’s go then.” Picking her up, he set her on the black motorcycle and sat behind her, starting it up. “Say ‘Bye house!’” he smiled, turning to wave. She did as she was told and copied him, giggling as they sped off.

 

 

I'm sorry I haven't updated, and I'm even more sorry that this is just a filler. OTL I have a lot written down it's just that I don't have as much motivation to write as I did before. I've got things distracting me now, but I'll do my best. Please wait for me!