Who I am now?

Cross and Sword
Please log in to read the full chapter

                                                                                        

 

         Jimin's consciousness gradually returned, reminding him of where he was and what had happened. Disconnected memories hit him, vague scenes of people helping him sit up in bed and feeding him, the sound of footsteps in the room, needles piercing his wrist and injecting something into his body, and multiple sensations of dampness on his forehead, back and neck. At the same time as everything seemed to have happened millennia ago, he could feel every detail of the memories. He remembered the pains, dizziness, and nausea that, although they didn't affect him so much at the time, bothered him like the buzzing of a stilt.

Before he opened his eyes, he heard the songs of birds flying from branch to branch in the trees that embellished the landscape outside his room. The wind rattled the leaves and produced a unique symphony that only Mother Nature could conduct. When he visited the room for the first time, he was stunned by the view from the window next to the bed. From there, he could see an extensive plain, covered in vivid green grass and filled with trees of different colors and sizes, each occupying a different space and displaying a unique beauty. He remembered the giant mangrove that reigned in the center and the other species that surrounded it, almost like subjects of that great ruler. At the eastern end, he was dazzled by the array of yellow, pink, and white Ipes that colored the place and covered the ground with their falling leaves, forming a multicolored carpet all around.

In the background, a few kilometers ahead, the Forest of Constellations began, filled with so many trees that it was only possible to see the tops filled with the same shade of green. Ever since he was a child, he had heard stories about some of the wild animals that lived in the forest, the last survivors of their respective species, and he harbored a desire to enter the forest and explore every space.

Jimin stretched slowly and, with his arm raised, scratched his eyes. His eyelids lifted easily and he remained in the same position for a few minutes, staring at the light blue ceiling and fulfilling his morning ritual: staying still until his body properly. When he felt ready, he sat up in bed, resting his arms on the mattress, and noticed that he was alone. The furniture was in the same position, but it looked a little different. In fact, everything around him seemed sharper, as if the colors were more intense, and some details on the wall — the small crack next to the closet —, the floor — the simple yellow signs of aging on the tiles below the window — and even the wooden desk — one of the two drawers that made up the side of the piece of furniture was a little crooked — were more noticeable and easier to identify.

He stared at his hands and noticed that he could see every detail of the expression lines that marked his fingers, the irregular curves of his nails, and the fine, almost invisible hairs that resided there. Still curious, Jimin got up and walked around the room, noticing particularities in the environment that weren't so easy to pick up by eye. He stopped in the middle of the room and realized, astonished, that he didn't feel the usual pain in his joints when he got out of bed. As he analyzed his own body, he heard footsteps approaching from the corridor and, moments later, two knocks on the door preceded the turn of the handle. Lanna entered the room, followed by Tania who, step by step, approached and placed her right hand on his shoulder.

— You're finally awake. I couldn't bear to see you lying in that bed, immersed in your vomit — she commented with a friendly smile on her face. The woman was wearing traditional PeaceArmy clothing, a dark green uniform, and black high boots, her hair was tied up in a perfect bun and her dark skin shone like the stars that adorned the deepest night.

— What do you mean? — Jimin asked, as he realized that, although he couldn't remember the vomit and the smell that rose as soon as he poured the contents onto the floor or his own body, there were no traces of bad smell or stains on the white coat he was wearing — And why don't I stink?

— I visited you every day, usually in the mornings and evenings. The training for the fighters has started and I could only come during the free hours. And you're not filthy and rotten because the nurses gave you baths — Jimin's cheeks flushed with shame that strangers had seen him , even more so in that condition.

Lanna took a few steps forward and caught the young man's eye.

— How are you feeling, cadet? — Lanna asked with authority in her voice. The woman was wearing the same clothes as Tania, except the gold brooch that read "Lieutenant Colonel", and her hair was braided and falling freely down her body.

— Strangely well. I don't feel any pain, just a little dizziness and nausea, but nothing that bothers me or prevents me from doing anything. The things around me seemed more alive, somehow — Jimin pulled out the wooden chair that faced the desk, noticed the loud sound it made as it was dragged across the floor, and sat down. Lanna and Tania accompanied him, each sitting on the bed.

— It's the effects of the new ability. Your cells not only affect someone else's body, but your own too. The powers of healing and regeneration apply to you. Despite progressing with age, our senses are constantly deteriorating. What you are experiencing now are the effects of the rejuvenation of all the cells in your body, which are now acting at full capacity. Your hearing, sight, smell, and taste are superior to those of any other human being, perhaps second only to Jungkook.

The pieces of the puzzle fell into place with Lanna's explanation and Jimin understood the origin of the intensity and proximity of the sounds he had heard a short while ago and the ease with which he could notice the details of things and people. Hearing the words "powers" and "ability" made him think about the life that awaited him, unlike anything he had ever thought of for himself. For the first time, he pondered his mother's reaction when she learned that her son had become a mutant healer responsible for the survival of humanity. He hoped she wouldn't scream or call him irresponsible, unpredictable, crazy, or inconsequential. He already carried those words with him and didn't need someone else to repeat them.

 — Things will be different from now on — Lanna's voice brought him back to reality — You will have to deal with many things and I hope you are ready to accept your position and defend humanity. Don't waste time dwelling on the decision you made days ago. 

— Days? How long was I out?

— Four — the answer took him by surprise and he put his hands to his head and massaged his temples as if the movement would help him absorb the information with less impact.

— Is that normal? Did you foresee this delay? How heavy was this procedure to require four days of semi-consciousness? Are there any other effects I need to know about? — indignation and fear overflowed from the questions that Jimin poured out on Lanna.

— Hey, easy there, kid. You've undergone a huge change; your cells have been modified. We anticipated that it would take a few days for your body to return to normal. Jungkook went through the same things and is also recovering. I even need to visit him — the lieutenant colonel stood up, straightened her uniform, walked towards the door and, before opening it, faced him again.

— Soon someone will update you on training and routine. Until then, take a shower, eat something, and distract your mind — Lanna shifted her gaze to Tania — Cadet, your training starts in a few minutes. Don't be late.

— Yes, ma'am — replied Tania, getting out of bed at the same time as Lanna left them alone. She came over and put her hand on her shoulder, the same affectionate gesture she had made earlier.

— I'm going, Jimin. I'm glad you're okay — Tania left the room, leaving him in the company of the thoughts, feelings, and doubts that filled the atmosphere of the room, as palpable and real as the new reality that had begun.

 

✧✧✧

 

Jimin's drenched hair soaked the floor as he walked down the corridor, leaving a trail of drips that slid down the straight, dark strands. Some of the water was held back by the towel wrapped around his neck or the simple black blouse he was wearing, but it was still possible to follow him just by the marks he left on the tiles. After the conversation with Lanna and Tania, he stayed in the room for a few minutes, pondering what had been said and exploring his heightened senses. He experimented with the limits of his more attentive hearing, searching for sounds and their meanings while admiring the landscape from the window and exploring his sight, which was capable of picking up details that had previously gone unnoticed. He couldn't say that his senses were supernatural, but he was amazed by the differences in how he assimilated things.

Then, when the nausea decided to visit him again, he took a shower to refresh his body and feel the pleasurable sensation of cleansing his soul under the shower, as if he were in a purification ritual in which the water carried his pains, fears, impurities, doubts and fears down the drain. Each of the five floors of the dormitory had a communal bathroom at the end of the corridor, where several square cabins with a beige toilet on the right and a simple shower, a towel rack, and a small shelf on the left were separated by dark acrylic structures, which obscured any view inside the shower. In front, each of the seven sinks, in the same color and material as the toilet, had its small mirror.

As in the corridor of the hospital where he had undergone surgery, the room was too white, except for the dark contrast of the onyx-colored acrylic. Although there were a few urinals on the wall opposite the door, there was no gender distinction in the place, so men and women frequented the same environment. Outside, a guard was on the lookout, ready to intervene if anything happened.

The idea of shar

Please log in to read the full chapter