Heroes?

Cross and Sword
Please log in to read the full chapter

                                                                          

 

On the way to the Operations Center, Jimin and Jungkook were talking about their experiences with cadet training and both told of their discomfort with the excessive attention, recurring comments, and strange looks. When Jimin told him about the applause he received when he showed off his powers, the fighter laughed and revealed that the same had happened to him. He also said that he was training attack and defense formations where he was the center of activity, as well as improving the combat techniques he already knew. Jimin told him about the health protocols that the army was structured for the doctors and that he would be the main player.

The conversation flowed so naturally and warmly that they didn't notice when they approached the venue. The Operational Center was the PeaceArmy's most luxurious and exuberant building. At first glance, the extreme care and security surrounding the cream—colored mansion, whose concrete façade with minimalist plaster finishes was guarded by armed soldiers at every corner, some standing at strategic points and others circulating the vast green area facing the property, was obvious.

The rectangular building had an uncountable number of long, square windows made of furta-colored glass, distributed along the front wall and aligned perfectly horizontally. At the ends, two inverted V-shaped plaster roofs covered semicircular windows and made up spaces that seemed to have been attached to the central structure of the building. In the center, a long column housed the immense glass door that opened inwards and, at the top, the roof was made up of an oval moss—green glazing that closed off the cylindrical base. On the highest part of the building, there was a fence of wavy concrete mini-pillars that established the boundaries of an extensive veranda.

— Wow — Jungkook sighed beside him, amazed by the view. Jimin was also impressed, but he was distracted by the fears that swirled around his thoughts. The structure was the materialization of what he had been trying to avoid ever since he received the invitation to the celebration: being in a place where he would be the center of attention. As much as he had been dealing with this since the moment he was announced as part of the Cross and Sword Project, he still wasn't used to it and didn't know if he ever would be.

— We're in this together, right? — The boy approached and leaned his arm on Jungkook's, who looked back at him with a discreet smile.

— Always — With a nod from Jimin, they both climbed the stone stairs that led to the entrance of the Operations Center and, when they got close enough to hear the sounds of musical instruments and side conversations, they were approached by two armed soldiers.

— Identification, please — demanded the taller of the two. Jimin and Jungkook handed them both their army ID cards and when the soldiers saw the documents, their eyes widened and they stepped aside, opening the door so that they could enter.

— Welcome — commented one of them as they passed through the archway, handing back the documents. The interior of the Operations Center was as luxurious as its façade. The light wooden floor was so polished that it reflected the image of those who passed by. A long red carpet led to the base of the spiral staircase, at the top of which were two plaster columns supporting transparent sconces that illuminated the entire room. On the light walls were different paintings and photographs in gold-colored frames and Jimin wondered if they were made from the precious metal. As they walked up the dark marble staircase, he noticed the gold ornaments on the handrail where they rested their hands to climb safely and the gradual increase in the volume of conversations and music. When they reached the end of the staircase, Jimin needed a moment to absorb what he was seeing.

The ceiling was completely filled with paintings, just like in the Catholic cathedrals that existed before the Awakening. He could recognize babies with angel wings, happy human beings in colorful flower gardens, men riding horses, and some half- people. From there hung a giant crystal chandelier that distributed light throughout the space as it rotated. In the left—hand corner of the room, above a small stage made of dark wood, musicians in suits played a wide variety of instruments, producing a pleasant, spring-like melody.

Next to it, arranged on a rectangular table, were different types of food and drink so beautifully decorated that they looked like decorations. On the other side, a glass fountain with three layers of basins spewed water into the air, which then fell gently down the object. Two marble sculptures near the entrance caught Jimin's eye: one was of Joseph Luden, the founder of the Cocoon. He couldn't identify who was depicted in the other.

Tables covered with white cloths, the edges of which had silver seams that simulated tree leaves, were distributed around the hall. Some people, dressed in elegant suits and wearing eye-catching brooches that denoted their important position in the army hierarchy, were sitting down, while others were standing and talking. When they noticed the two of them standing in the doorway, the whispers and comments intensified, followed by weak and timid applause at first, which soon grew to such proportions that everyone in the hall was on their feet saluting them. Jungkook smiled and waved to the people, friendly and sociable. Jimin stared at the floor and prayed that the moment would pass.

— Jimin. Jungkook — Lanna approached and stopped one of the waiters midway with trays full of pink drinks in glass goblets. She took two glasses and handed them to the two of them when they were close. — Welcome. What do you think of the event?

— We've only just arrived, but I must say I'm impressed. I've never seen anything like it in my life — replied Jungkook. Lanna was wearing a traditional black suit and her braids were arranged like a crown on her head. It was the first time I'd seen her out of her army uniform and the beauty she exuded magnified the power and confidence in her eyes and posture.

— And you, Jimin? — the woman looked at him a little strangely, as if evaluating his behavior and seeking different conclusions from that simple question.

— I'm also surprised by everything you've organized — Jimin couldn't decide if she was satisfied with his answer, but Lanna gave him a simple smile and moved even closer.

— The army superiors organized this party because they are hopeful. They've been receiving reports of the progress in the use of your powers and now they see in you something that humanity hasn't experienced for a long time: a possibility. A future. A path to freedom — Jimin's shoulders sagged, feeling the weight of every word the lieutenant colonel said. If he had been nervous before, now he was fighting against himself to remain stable and not give in to anxiety.

— Enjoy the celebration — the woman raised her glass, took a sip of her drink, and held Jimin's analytical gaze for a few seconds before walking away. As soon as she left, numerous superiors surrounded them, eager to meet them and satisfy their curiosities. Questions and comments poured in about their powers, their training, life in the army, the expectations the PeaceArmy had of them, and the feats they were expected to achieve.

At all times, Jungkook was the one who interacted the most with them, laughing at unfunny comments, making people sigh when he told them a story or account of his powers, adding funny phrases that provoked laughter in everyone present, and answering every question with a smile on his face. The group around them grew larger and larger, attracted by Jungkook's socializing skills. Jimin spoke little and when he did, he tried to be brief. Sometimes he would press his sweaty hands together, shake his shoulders, scratch his neck or fidget with his suit. The moment such signs of nervousness appeared, he would stare at the floor, take a deep breath, and try to regain control of himself.

In the course of the conversation, he picked up some important information. Only cadets and 1st rank soldiers – clerks, watchmen, porters, among others – had not been invited; a banquet had been promised to celebrate the evening; and some people were speculating about the Major's appearance. The most important figure in the PeaceArmy was not often seen in public, but since the celebration was taking place in the Major and Deputy Major's home – Jimin also discovered that it was rare for them to hold parties in that hall – they were expected to be present.

After endless minutes in the center of the circle of superiors, Jungkook asked everyone for a minute to get drinks and took Jimin with him.

— Thank you, Jungkook. I can breathe now — they both walked towards the food table and Jimin closed his eyes for a moment and inhaled sharply, feeling the oxygen free of social pressure fill his lungs.

— I've never seen so many people interested in my life. It was strange and fun.

— Fun? I could only think of ways to get out of there.

They stopped when they reached the food and the young man was surprised by the variety of food. Grapes, strawberries, mangoes, apples, bananas, oranges, and other fruits were cut and arranged on an aluminum tray. Cakes of different colors and toppings adorned the table, toast, and pâtés were next to jars of fried shrimp – one of the rarest foods in the Cocoon – as well as a considerable variety of cheeses, grains, breads, cookies, and even colorful macaroons. On the far right, different-shaped jugs held a variety of drinks. The table was so full that there were hardly any empty spaces between the foods.

Jungkook ate a piece of apple and helped himself to a yellowish drink, while Jimin chose a blue macaron and, when he bit into it, felt the flavors of vanilla and clove fill his palate. The sweet was soft and delicious and made him forget, even for a short while, all the tension he had been carrying around with him since he had started getting ready for the party. The fighter nibbled on some fried prawns and, as he chewed, emitted sounds of pleasure and satisfaction.

— Excuse me — said someone behind them, who turned around together. A soldier of medium height, with a thin nose and mouth, wearing a yellow suit, stared at them solemnly — Sorry to interrupt you, but we're going to make an important announcement and we're asking the guests to sit down. Can you join me?

The two looked at each other and before following the man, Jungkook grabbed some more fried prawns and Jimin popped a macaron into his mouth. The soldier led them to one of the tables closest to the stage where the musicians were playing and held out a chair for each of them to sit down. There were three empty seats in addition to the ones they occupied. Jimin and Jungkook stood side by side, talking about the structure of the hall and how many of those foods they didn't know.

The hall was covered in silence after a few minutes, empty of conversation or music, and everyone stared at the entrance. There, two men were surrounded by security guards. One of them was a person with dwarfism, a full beard that covered his neck, dark circles under his small, brown eyes, long, curly brown hair, a large nose, and a closed, concentrated face. The other, next to him, had a mustache over a small mouth, thick eyebrows above round black eyes, straight hair combed back, and a large nose and ears.

There was an atmosphere of respect and suspense around them, and when he looked around the room and strained his eyes to see some people, expression lines appeared between their eyebrows and on their foreheads. They were both wearing identical traditional black suits, except for the insignia they wore on their chests. The smaller of the two, who appeared to be around 35, had a gold medal sewn into a white circle. The tallest, about 50 years old, had a diamond medal in the center of a blue circle.

In a matter of seconds, everyone in the hall stood up and saluted, placing one hand on their chest and the other next to their forehead. It took Jimin and Jungkook a while to grasp the meaning of the brooches and people's reactions, but when it dawned on them, they stood up immediately and followed the gestures of the others. They were in front of the Major and Deputy Major.

— Dismissed — the Major's hoarse, strong voice echoed throughout the hall. Now released, everyone applauded the men as they walked towards the stage where Jimin and Jungkook's table was nearby. The musicians and instruments had disappeared and they handed the man a microphone as soon as he climbed onto the wooden platform.

— Sit down, please — he said and everyone followed the order. Jimin, like the people in his district, knew the Major only from photos, but the features in the pictures were different. In them, he appea

Please log in to read the full chapter