Peace

Cross and Sword
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The kiss began slowly, both still fearful of the other's reaction. The icy wind blew across their bodies, ruffling their hair and clothes, and the only thing keeping them warm were their hearts, whose beats were aligned. Jungkook took the lead and wrapped his arms around Jimin's waist. The kiss intensified into a battle of tongues, where one tried to dominate and subdue the other. The confusing thoughts that had been troubling Jimin's mind faded away and all he could think about were the strong hands that surrounded him and the lips that intermingled. 

Jungkook led him closer to the fence and pressed him against the structure. Their legs wrapped around each other and Jimin squeezed him even tighter around the neck. Their chests were aligned, rising and falling as they kissed even faster. They devoured each other, giving in to their growing libido. Compared to the last time they had kissed, there was something different. In the dark alley, they were seeking only carnal pleasure. There was nothing beyond that. Under the moonlight, which watched them silently, Jimin felt something bubble up inside him. 

The fighter pulled away panting, his cheeks were flushed and he flashed a broad smile as he watched him. Jimin put his hands behind his back and returned the smile, feeling a little awkward. The two stared at each other for a few seconds, until Jungkook interrupted the silence with the sound of a husky, satisfying laugh. 

— What should and shouldn't you say after a kiss?

— If you say it was bad, I'll throw you down — they both laughed and Jungkook moved closer again, close enough for Jimin to feel his breath. 

— I would never say that, because I already knew it was good — he kissed him again and Jimin didn't wait a second to surrender to the connection between them. The touch between their lips was warm and calm at the same time. Fierce and gentle. It quenched desire as much as it increased it. It chased away negative thoughts and attracted new questions. From afar, on a night full of confessions, lips, tongues, and saliva, their bodies were no longer seen as two. They were intertwined, and not just physically.

 

✧✧✧

 

— Isn't it risky for us to stand like this in the hallway? — Jimin commented the moment they stopped kissing. After the engagement in the open area of the Operational Center, the boys returned to the hall and stayed at the party for a few hours, chatting with the guests and enjoying the food. At all times, Jimin and Jungkook exchanged glances and laughed, silently sharing memories of what had happened a short while ago. 

Near the end, the banquet was announced and countless waiters emerged from the entrance, each bringing a daunting array of food and drinks. Four of them were carrying a whole roast boar, so big that they had to walk slowly to avoid knocking it over. All the guests ate and savored the food and there was still a considerable amount of food left over, so abundant was the feast. 

Once the event was over, they said goodbye to a few people who insisted on accompanying them to the entrance of the guesthouse and entered the building towards Jimin's room. As they were about to open the door, Jungkook spun him around and surprised him with a calm, cozy kiss. 

— No one should be awake at this hour — he commented with a playful smile on his face — But I confess we can't risk it — he moved closer and kissed him — Do you have any plans for tomorrow? It's our day off.

Once every two weeks, on Sundays, the members of the army were excused from their activities and could rest and do as they wished. The most common was a trip to Ambar, a small town near the PeaceArmy installations, where the soldiers drank, danced, and partied until the sun came up. Since cadets weren't invited, Jimin thought he'd spend the day in his room, reading and sleeping. 

— I'm going to get some rest. The last few days have been stressful and I need a moment to breathe. Not to mention the fact that Lanna is likely to take a harder line in our training after the comment you made in front of the Major. 

— I didn't mean it. When I noticed, I'd already said it — it was clear to see the embarrassment in Jungkook's expression, which made Jimin laugh. 

— What about you? Did you think of anything? — he asked as he opened the bedroom door. 

— No. I'm deciding, but.... maybe we can see each other tomorrow? — asked the fighter and Jimin noticed, as he turned around, a glint in the boy's eye. Something tingled in his stomach at the question and he felt his cheeks heat up. 

— Of course. I like that idea.

— That's great. See you tomorrow, then. Good night, Jimin — Jungkook seemed to ponder whether or not to do anything, but then smiled and put his hands in his pants pockets. 

— Good night, Jungkook — Jimin walked away, entered the room, and waved goodbye to him. When he closed the door, he ran to the bed and threw himself on it with a silly smile on his face. He was so immersed in the memories of that night, replaying them in his mind and laughing alone when he remembered the kisses and looks, that he was startled by Storm climbing onto the bed and lunging at him, unleashing a wet attack of on his face. Jimin played with the dog for a while – Storm liked to be petted on the belly – and when he got up to take off his suit and be free of his tight clothes, he saw something near the door, on the floor. 

As he got closer, he noticed that it was a small white piece of paper, whose jagged sides showed that it had been torn from a sheet. What intrigued him most was what was written on it: 

 

"Scarce resources, but a bountiful party?"

 

Jimin put the note in his pocket, opened the door, and looked both ways down the corridor for any sign of someone who might have left the note there. Dissatisfied at finding nothing, he left the room and looked for any clues in the corridors of the apartment and outside the building around him. All he encountered was the cold wind as he left the building, the constant sound of crickets, and unanswered questions. 

 

✧✧✧

 

— I can't believe you did that! You, Jimin Park, took the initiative with a kiss? — Tania smiled incredulously. The cafeteria that morning smelled of fried eggs, baked bread, oranges, and coffee. Jimin helped himself to a few pieces of apple, banana, two slices of bread, and strawberry yogurt. Tania, in front of him, enjoyed an improvised bacon and tomato sandwich, as well as a banana cream with oats and walnuts. The friends created a routine of spending the first meal of the day together and always sat at the farthest table to talk in peace. Tânia would arrive first and reserve the space at the intersection between the walls. 

— Yes. I don't know why I did it, but I did. 

— You bastard. Did you come to the army to kiss men? — accused her friend with a mouth full of yogurt. 

— Don't talk like that, I'll feel bad. 

— Bad? You need to enjoy it. Kiss a lot and have too. It'll help with the tension and — she smiled with malice on her lips.

— TANIA — Jimin felt his cheeks flush and stared at the tray of food in an attempt to control his embarrassment. 

— What? I'm just giving you some great advice. If I were in your shoes, I'd have done a lot by now — Jimin put a larger amount of fruit in his mouth to concentrate on chewing and keep away the sinful thoughts that arose in his imagination.

— And after the kiss on the roof? Did you do anything? 

— We went to my room, but before you think anything of it, we didn't do anything. He didn't even come in.

— Slackers. They don't know how to enjoy life. I'll show you how things should be done later — his friend took the pot of banana cream and devoured it in no time. Jimin was about to finish his meal when she asked.

— What about the party? I want details. They're gossiping that the Major showed up. Is that true?

Jimin's thoughts took him back to the night before and the mysterious note that had taken away his sleep. After finding no clues as to who could have put the note in his room, he went back to his room, took off his dressing gown, and tried to sleep. However, the written sentence was still on his mind. "Scarce resources, but a bountiful feast?" These few words were enough for him to spend hours reflecting on what they meant. He was so focused on his anxiogenic emotions and nervousness, and later on, flirting with Jungkook, that he didn't have the space to analyze what was going on around him. 

Rieve was assertive in his speech when he said that the Cross and Sword project's sole purpose was to help humanity in the process of expanding the Cocoon, which was necessary to guarantee basic resources for the population. The previous Major had already concluded that life in the Cocoon was unsustainable and would expire if a solution wasn't found. Even so, no resources were spared to produce an event of that magnitude. Whether it was the energy consumed by the luxurious chandeliers spread across the ceiling or the absurd amount of food being distributed, the celebration was lavish. He spent part of the night reflecting on the times at home, with his mother, when they had to divide the food into equal portions for the week, controlling the quantity so as not to run out.

Jimin could tell that everyone had eaten until they could eat no more. In the depths of the night and his reflections, he concluded that it was strange that no one seemed bothered by the party and he felt very guilty. They were only celebrating something because he and Jungkook were part of the project.

— Jimin?

— Sorry, I was away for a moment. The party was big, they served a lot of food and drink and the Major showed up. He didn't stay long, but he gave a warm and scary speech.

— What's he like? Many people in the Cocoon idolize him, but I see him as a normal man. Full of power in his hands, but a human being like any other. 

— At first, I thought he was a bit too serious. Then, when we talked for a while, he seemed nice — Jimin buried the Major's speech in the back of his mind to drive away the bad thoughts that arose when he remembered his words and the responsibilities they brought. 

Tania seemed satisfied with the information about the celebration and they both finished eating in silence. His friend stretched, yawned, and fixed the red bandana around her hair in a bun. 

— Do you know what you and Jungkook sound like? A poorly written cliché teenage romance where two young people meet in the army and discover love, go on adventures, and end up together forever. 

— Shut up, Tania.

 

✧✧✧

 

Jimin was sitting on his bed, reading one of the chronicles he had brought with him to the army, when he heard two knocks on the door. With the book closed in his hands, he jumped out of bed and opened the door to find Jungkook on the other side. 

— Hey, Jimin — the boy was holding a wooden basket in one hand and had a backpack on his back. He was wearing a black tank top, white shorts, and a necklace with a feather pendant around his neck. Together with his messy hair and cheerful expression, the boy looked like he was about to go on an adventure — I had a plan for our afternoon. 

— Our afternoon? — After breakfast, Jimin returned to his room and stayed there until then, leaving only to have lunch and bring Storm some food. The dog, who was sleeping on the bed, sensed the presence of someone in the room and ran to the door. When he recognized the fighter, he wagged his tail and jumped on the young man's legs.  

— Hey, buddy — the fighter put the basket on the floor and bent down to Storm. Satisfied with the affection, the dog returned to the room and sat on the floor, watching them — I know we haven't planned anything, but I doubt you'll turn down the idea when I tell you what we're going to do. 

— What are we going to do?

— I'm not going to tell you. It's a surprise. 

— You said I wouldn't refuse when you told me the plan. How can I accept this invitation without knowing what it is?

— You'll have to trust me. I promise you won't regret it — the fighter was b with excitement and looked at him with happiness in his eyes, while Jimin pondered whether to give in to his request or stay comfortable in his room. He liked the idea of staying in the safe, warm, and reading—friendly environment he had organized for that afternoon, but Jungkook seemed so enthusiastic about the plan that it would be mean not to please him. When Jimin sighed and nodded, the smile already on his face widened even more. 

— I'll give you 10 minutes to get ready. Make it quick — he said, almost jumping for joy down the corridor. Jimin closed the door and changed, putting on a purple blouse and denim shorts, as well as white shoes and the ring with the sharp hook on the ring finger. Ever since the incident with the wolves, he had always kept it with him. Jimin left the room and, just as he was about to close the door, he was intercepted by Jungkook. 

— The plan also includes Storm's presence. I want to take him with us. 

— Have you gone mad? If anyone sees him, we'll have problems. 

— He can go down through the air intake and we'll find him at the back of the building. 

— What are you up to, Jungkook? Why expose us to this risk?

— Trust me, it'll be worth it — Jimin sighed again and reluctantly returned to his room, crouching down next to the dog.

— I don't know why I'm following the ideas of a madman, but you know what to do — Jimin pointed to the air vent under the bed and, when he understood the message, the dog took off towards the tunnels. When he heard the sound of his paws against the metal gradually diminish, the boys walked towards the back of the lodge. 

When they arrived, they found Storm near the air vent, his tail wagging and his tongue hanging out. Jimin still didn't understand his intelligence and, when doubts arose, he just concluded that the animal had been trained at some point. 

— Now what? What's the next crazy thing you're going to suggest? — asked Jimin as the dog sniffed around in search of something. 

— We're going into the Forest of Constellations — Jungkook didn't give him time to answer or complain, he just turned and walked towards the forest that loomed before them. 

— Are you kidding me? Do you remember what happened the last time we went into this forest? — Jimin asked as soon as he caught up. Storm noticed the boys moving and trotted towards them with a stick in his mouth. 

— Just follow me, Mr. In Charge. 

— Jungkook. I'm serious — Jimin grabbed him by the shoulder, interrupting his walk.

— Can you relax for a moment? I know what I'm doing, Jimin. You reminded me of what happened and I wouldn't be so irresponsible as to put us in danger again. What's going on? Why are you reacting to everything? 

The question hit him like a slap in the face, hard enough to make him take a step back and face the ground. Jimin had received a simple invitation to spend the afternoon with Jungkook and had been overreacting ever since. In parts, there was a justifiable fear, whether it was Storm's exposure or a trip to the forest, but he was too alarmed. Suspicious. And he knew where these feelings came from: the mysterious note. The phrase that had been on his mind all day. At times, Jimin managed to subdue it and let the thoughts around it fade away. At others, however, he immersed himself in the possibilities. Who wrote the note? Who put it in his room? Why send it to him? And what was worse: why did the phrase bother him so much? 

When he noticed Jungkook's worried look, Jimin took a deep breath and concentrated on organizing his thoughts. The boy had prepared something for him, invited him to spend the afternoon together, and there was Jimin, burdening him with his problems. Again. 

— I'm sorry. I had a bad night's sleep — Jimin approached and put one of his hands on the fighter's arm — I trust you. 

Jungkook looked at him for a few seconds, unconvinced by Jimin's response, but gradually gave in to the joy that had infected him before and smiled again. 

— All right, then. Let's hurry, I want to get there soon. 

The adventurous trio entered the Forest of Constellations, Jungkook in the lead and Storm getting distracted at every turn. At times, Jimin lost sight of the dog amidst the full, green bushes, the dry

Please log in to read the full chapter