Power

Cross and Sword
Please log in to read the full chapter

                                                                                         

— The Cross and Sword project arose from the need to expand the Cocoon and regain control over the planet. With population growth projections, in around 150 years, the Cocoon will no longer be functional, even with the maternity control policies we have in place. We need new spaces for housing, agriculture, and livestock, which has led us to draw up a plan for the definitive elimination of the Modified Ones. And it's in this context that we came up with the idea of creating superhumans, beings with the necessary skills to fulfill this goal — Lanna took a few steps to the side and the projection of the PeaceArmy map was replaced by short videos about the nervous system and the human spine in the form of drawings.

— Before you start asking questions, I'll get straight to the point. To acquire the powers I've mentioned, we're going to genetically modify the cells in your body using nano-chips that will attach to neurons and stem cells and cause vital changes to develop Jimin's healing abilities and Jungkook's strength and agility — As soon as she spoke about how the procedure would be carried out, Jimin's heartbeat accelerated and he became restless in his seat. The transformation would follow the same precepts as the virus responsible for creating the Modified Ones.

— I know what's going through your minds. The program was inspired by the Modifieds' nano-chip studies. This time, however, we followed different and safer ethical standards. Thousands of tests were carried out and we mapped out all the possible reactions and consequences that could arise from this procedure. That's why we restricted the test to young people up to the age of 25, where the rates of unwanted side effects were close to zero. Believe me when I say that it would be foolish to think that PeaceArmy would create a threat to itself. We have enough problems as it is and we wouldn't be stupid enough to make the same mistake as our ancestors — Lanna's arguments made sense and, although he was still suspicious, Jimin took a deep breath and controlled some of the nervousness that afflicted him. He squinted at Jungkook and didn't detect any signs of fear or worry on his face.

— Starting with the Sword, Jungkook's body will be worked on so that the cells are more resistant and powerful, capable of storing and releasing an enormous amount of energy. In addition, the neurons will be enhanced to make even faster synapses — the projection on the wall accompanied Lanna's words, showing how the nano-chips would alter the boy's body — This will result in superhuman agility, extraordinary strength and endurance, accelerated regeneration and action and reaction capabilities never seen before. Final tests on a mouse proved that the animal could run 240 kilometers per hour — a video of a rodent running at an abnormal speed was shown in the projection and, for the first time, Jimin felt Jungkook stir in his chair.

— Jimin's body, meanwhile, will be modified so that his cells can multiply to gigantic proportions and have an impressive ability to adapt and transform. His healing power will be conditioned by his blood, so to heal someone, your blood will have to come into contact with that of the other person. From this connection, you will be able to direct your cells to the place you want. They will multiply at an extraordinary rate, replacing the dead or defective ones of the injured individual and transforming themselves into the type needed to keep the organ or tissue functioning, be they epithelial, nerve, muscle, connective tissue, blood, or bone cells. In addition, they will automatically scan the genetic code of whoever they are healing, ensuring that there is no rejection of their powers.

Jimin was impressed by what he could do and imagined the complexity of the knowledge, studies, and the number of resources and tests needed to develop a project of that magnitude. They turned fiction into reality and thought about the smallest details, studying all the possibilities for the human body to react and building a perfect structure for adaptation and multiplication. On the wall in front of them was the wounded arm of a man who, after dropping a drop of blood, stopped bleeding and the wound gradually closed within a minute. There was no trace of the injury, not even a scar where there had once been a deep, wide cut.

— Your cells will also be prepared to fight any viruses, bacteria, fungi, or microorganisms that are present in the wound, destroying them and preventing infection or contamination. In addition, one of the factors that led us to select him for the project was your O- blood type. There will be no resistance to you.

           Nervousness gradually gave way to curiosity. How did the PeaceArmy scientists manage to make this project possible? How far did they go to give human beings powers? How did it feel to possess that power? Was there any limit to what he could do? When could he get out of there and heal his mother?

— The changes in your faces tell me you're not so scared anymore — Lanna paused her speech and approached at a slow pace, stopping a few meters in front of the two of them — Jimin, Jungkook, there's no limit to what you'll be able to do. Never in history has anything like this happened. We can't predict the future that awaits you and how you'll use what you've been given, but do your best to save our species. Free us from the condemnation that has been imposed on us. Be the freedom that every human being has longed for years. And don't let us down. Great expectations, investment, and sweat have been put into this project, so don't make us feel any regrets. From now on, your lives don't belong to you alone and I want you to remember that every day.

 

✧✧✧

 

Jimin stared at the aluminum tray, whose compartments were filled with rice with corn, peas, pieces of dried meat, and boiled potatoes, as he immersed himself in deep and disturbing thoughts. Since leaving the auditorium a few hours ago, he hadn't been able to keep his mind off the Cross and Sword project. Even while he was getting to know his room – a lean, comfortable rectangular room with light green walls and a white ceramic floor, with a single bed on the left side, a matte wooden closet with four sliding doors and six drawers, a small black clock above the door, a desk in front of it and shelves for books and decorations above it – or walking down the stairs to the cafeteria, two floors below the dormitory, the lieutenant colonel's words continued to haunt him.

As if that wasn't enough responsibility, at the end of the project presentation, Lanna told them that the surgery to modify Jimin and Jungkook's bodies would take place that evening. Recovery was expected to take almost three days, in addition to the time they would need to adapt to the skills and perfect them through the constant training already scheduled, so they didn't want to wait any longer.

Jimin protested when he received the news and almost gave up on the project at that moment. Everything was happening too fast. They had barely arrived in the army and were bombarded with information, and invitations to become superhuman and undergo aggressive, life-changing surgery. He hasn’t been able to reduce his stress levels since then. Despite the reassurance of the countless tests they had carried out, Jimin's heart raced every time he imagined himself on a gurney, exposed to procedures he didn't know about, the outcome of which would affect his life forever.

Despite the constant prying eyes he had attracted since arriving at the cafeteria, Jimin's mind was occupied with bubbling thoughts that prevented him from dividing his attention with other things. To hell with people or what they were saying. His life was about to turn upside down and, since he had agreed to the damned project, there was nothing he could do to stop it.

Hunger didn't outweigh fear and so the dish didn't look as attractive as it sounded. The cafeteria emptied as time went by and the whispers of those passing by the long metal table I was at became less frequent. Even though he had chosen the place furthest away from the counters where staff served food and drink, Jimin didn't enjoy the silence he would have liked. Although the space was large, the poor acoustics of the walls and the large number of tables and chairs in the canteen meant that parallel conversations could be heard without much effort.

— Hey cross boy — the sound of the aluminum tray hitting the table brought Jimin back to reality as Tania sat down on the bench in front of him. The cadet he had met as soon as he arrived at PeaceArmy was wearing a wine-red bandana over her hair and the standard army uniform. The crooked smile on her face showed satisfaction at the nickname she had invented — Have they turned you into an ambulance yet?

— Not yet, but they will soon — Jimin turned back to his food, too exhausted to socialize. They both remained silent for a few moments, the atmosphere heavy and dark.

Please log in to read the full chapter