Yes or No?

Cross and Sword
Please log in to read the full chapter

 Cocoon Map here.

                                                                  

           Jimin forced himself to look at Lanna and forget that Jungkook was standing next to him and had elected to be part of the same program as him. There were so many things he wanted to ask, especially about what happened after they ran away from the drunken men armed with glass bottles, but the heavy stares they were attracting and the sudden, dangerous proposal forced him to put the subject on the back burner. A few moments ago, he was listening to reports about humanity's past and preparing to receive instructions about his stay at the PeaceArmy. Now, he needed to reflect on something that would change his life forever. 

Jimin was aware of the double jeopardy, due to his ancestry, that awaited him if he agreed to take part in the project. Traumas and fears could resurface to haunt him again. As a child and teenager, what he wanted most was to go unnoticed, to live his life without worrying about the gaze of strangers or the meaning of the whispers that arose when he walked near people. 

For a long time, he hated his ancestry and wanted to be like everyone else. He even questioned his mother about the traits he possessed and whether he could get rid of them. Although he had overcome these issues, Jimin still carried some remnants of the negative experiences he had been through. He would always look for a shadow to camouflage himself or dodge strangers on the sidewalk before the possibility of bumping into them arose. Even on occasions of celebration, like the day he became a doctor, the excessive congratulations from neighbors and acquaintances bothered him. 

Attention, however, was all that was left at that moment. He knew that some of the glances directed at him were prejudiced and intolerant, although most of them reflected curiosity and envy. He was facing something of immeasurable importance, didn't know how to react, and wanted more than ever for his mother to be there to hug and comfort him.

— Feel lucky for the honor you are about to receive if you accept — Lanna broke the cycle of thoughts in which Jimin was immersed and brought him abruptly back to reality. The woman, whose focus shifted between him and Jungkook, longed for their decision, as did the others.

— I accept, ma'am! — Jungkook's quick and confident response echoed through the auditorium — It will be a deep honor to defend humanity — He attracted everyone's attention like a magnet, and the energy emanating from him was evidence that every word expressed true feelings. Lanna nodded, satisfied with Jungkook’s choice, and turned her deep, piercing gaze on Jimin. 

At that moment, he prayed to be into a parallel reality and enjoy a quiet, empty place where he could organize his thoughts, control his emotions and ponder the decision ahead. He wanted time to reflect on each possibility, think about the consequences of each choice, and analyze the cost-benefit of each action. Just as he did when he thought about becoming a doctor, he wanted to walk down the street and process every idea that came along, contemplate them, and understand their meaning. However, Jimin knew that these desires would not be fulfilled.

— Jimin, your choice. We decided to question you in public because we're looking for people who don't think twice before prioritizing the future of humanity over their own — Lanna was still watching him, studying his gestures, the changes in his features, the rhythmic, anxious movements of his trembling legs and the frightened look in his eyes. 

Jimin took a deep breath in an unsuccessful attempt to slow down his heartbeat and reduce the overwhelming sound of his heart in his ears. In the second he had to reflect, he pondered what would happen if he accepted. He imagined that, by being part of the project, he could be relevant enough to ensure a more peaceful future for his mother, guaranteeing easier access to benefits such as housing and medicines. Furthermore, if the promised powers were true – Jimin believed they were – he could rid his mother of the degenerative disease that haunted her. He could shield everyone he loved and ensure that they lived a healthy and fulfilling life.

However, he would be carrying such an overwhelming responsibility that, even without having accepted the offer, he could feel the weight of it on her shoulders. Jimin didn't know if he had the strength and willpower to handle it and perhaps the pressure would be his downfall. If he agreed to be part of the project, he would eliminate any chance of going unnoticed in places and give up the pleasure of anonymity and the shadows, exposing himself to what he had always avoided.

Jimin turned to face Lanna.

— I'm in. I accept — Jimin would do it to survive, to help his mother and his friends, and to carry with him, wherever he was, the irony of fate: those executed on a massive scale by humanity would be the ones to save it from extinction.

 

✧✧✧

 

After a positive response from Jimin and Jungkook, Lanna asked them to sit down and went back to explain, this time focusing on the cadets' routines, the activities that each group, doctors and combatants, would carry out and, with the help of a map projected onto the woman's back, she detailed the location of important spaces in the barracks: the two dormitory buildings, the Training Camp, the Study and Debate Room, the Outpatient Clinic, the Teaching Hospital, the Research and Development Center, the building where the tutors lived, and the Data and Records Center. 

Although the information was important, no one paid any attention to it. Most of the cadets alternated their gazes between the two selected or whispered something to the person next to them. The announcement of the project was impactful enough to dominate everyone's thoughts and plunge Jimin into a deep state of introspection. Lanna's words echoed distantly and emptily, while his mind b

Please log in to read the full chapter