Chapter 5

Hiding the Truth

Jeongwoo found himself hanging out with Seobin more and more as Chanyoung got engrossed into his classes. Jake was even able to get permission for Seobin to spend the night some nights, when Chanyoung had important sessions to attend for a couple days. Allen's dorm wasn't enough for Seobin sometimes, but most of the time he was okay as long as someone checked on him throughout the day.

 

Niki still kept an eye on Chanyoung when he could see him, though it was rare and the only person from his dorms to be able to keep an eye on him was a transfer student named Juho who managed to be in a few of Chanyoung's classes.

 

As far as being alone? No one knew what Chanyoung was up to, and Seobin was worried he was falling into a downward spiral again.

 

“Have you seen- big brother today?” Asked Seobin as he met Jeongwoo in front of the cafe. “Niki says- says he hasn't seen him yet,” he mumbled in explanation. “I checked the bridge and he- he wasn't there today,” he added.

 

Jeongwoo shook his head no, earning a worried sigh from Seobin.

 

“Hopefully someone sees him, I hate to- to see him gone so much,” grumbled Seobin as he went into the cafe with Jeongwoo following after him.

 

“No, Chanyoung didn't stop by today,” greeted Jungwon as Jeongwoo and Seobin walked up to the counter. “Did you see him at the dorms?” He asked.

 

“I saw him for break- breakfast but that's it,” responded Seobin as he shook his head. “Other than that I haven't- seen him,” he added. “He won't- answer his phone either,” he grumbled, checking his phone again to see if Chanyoung messaged him.

 

“He'll come around, I'm sure,” reassured Jungwon as he nodded his head. “Let's get you something to drink okay?” He asked, ringing up their usual orders.

 

Jeongwoo went to pay for it, despite Seobin insisting that he could pay for his own drink. He shook his head at Seobin before walking over to where the drinks were being made.

 

“I could've paid for it,” grumbled Seobin as he joined Jeongwoo near the counter where the drinks were.

 

Jeongwoo shrugged his shoulders, like it wasn't a big deal and went to sit down after Sunghoon passed over their drinks.

 

~

 

Chanyoung eventually appeared at the cafe after a few hours, long after his classes had ended. It was close to dinner time, and he had come looking for Seobin who was playing the coloring game on his phone. “Seobin,” he called softly, forcing a smile when Seobin looked up at him.

 

“Big- big brother!” Shouted Seobin as he got to his feet, phone forgotten on the table as he practically threw himself at Chanyoung, hugging him tightly.

 

Chanyoung let out a bitter laugh, unable to return the hug as he stood there. “I'm sorry, I should've answered your calls,” he sighed, moving away from Seobin who looked up at him. “Can you- can you stay with Jake for a few days?” He asked. “I have another session to get to,” he explained.

 

“Are you- you okay?” Asked Seobin as he looked worried, bottom lip trembling as he tried not to start crying. The sadness was so bad today that Seobin feared the worst, but as far as he could see Chanyoung seemed fine.

 

“I'm okay,” reassured Chanyoung as he nodded. “I just need to get to this session, it's very important,” he explained.

 

“Are you sure you're okay?” Asked Seobin as he wanted to make sure that Chanyoung wasn't just going to this session to try something stupid.

 

“I'm fine,” reassured Chanyoung as he nodded his head.

 

“Last time you- you said that you…" Started Seobin as he shuddered at the thought. “Please- please come back safe?” He asked.

 

“I'll come back safe, don't worry,” reassured Chanyoung as he nodded his head. “Now, we need to head to Jake's, I have an overnight bag for you,” he added.

 

“Okay,” grumbled Seobin as he nodded his head.

 

~

 

Seobin was worried about his brother, and after being dropped off he saw the look on the others faces, and he knew immediately that Chanyoung was not in a good place. He hoped that this session wasn't the last, and after Chanyoung said goodbye Seobin was left to stand in the middle of the entranceway, looking lost.

 

Jeongwoo was the one to approach Seobin, reaching out a hand to let Seobin take if he wanted it.

 

“No- no I'm fine,” grumbled Seobin as he let out a soft sigh, walking around Jeongwoo and to Jeongwoo's room where he would be staying for the duration of his stay.

 

Jeongwoo looked worried as he turned to Jake, who let out a soft sigh.

 

“I'll see if someone can keep an eye on Chanyoung,” reassured Jake before he went to make a couple phone calls.

 

Jeongwoo nodded his head before going to his room and spotting Seobin setting up on the floor with an air mattress that Jeongwoo had gotten for days like today.

 

“I'm- I'm sorry,” mumbled Seobin as he laid down on the mattress with a sigh. “Chanyoung- he- I don't-,” he stuttered, a small whimper escaping him as he curled up into a ball.

 

Jeongwoo went to sit down on the mattress beside Seobin, offering a comforting presence. He would reach out for Seobin, but he knew better than to do so, so he simply sat there and offered as much comfort as he could give while respecting boundaries.

 

Jeongwoo looked up when the door opened, revealing Seoho who walked over and leaned down in front of Seobin.

 

“Jahan is sending someone, okay?” Asked Seoho as Seobin looked up at him. “Everyone could feel the immense sadness coming off him today, so Jahan is sending someone,” he reassured Seobin who nodded at him.

 

“Is- is big brother going to be okay?” Asked Seobin, his voice sounding small as he tried to keep up the facade despite everything screaming at him to just drop it since Chanyoung wasn't there.

 

“I don't know,” replied Seoho, being honest. “But let's hope that we're not too late kiddo,” he added, almost reaching out to tousle Seobin's hair, stopping short when Seobin flinched. He dropped his arm to his side and let out a deep sigh. “Don't think about it kid,” he muttered, trying to find the words that would comfort Seobin. “All we can do, is wait for his return,” he added. “I know that's probably not what you want to hear right now, but it's all we can do, okay?” He asked.

 

“I just want big brother to- to be okay,” grumbled Seobin before he turned over and faced the bottom of Jeongwoo's bed.

 

“I know kiddo, I know,” reminded Seoho as he let out a breath, getting up and turning to Jeongwoo who looked up at him. “I know I don't need to tell you this, but keep him distracted, yeah?” He asked, speaking English now.

 

Jeongwoo nodded his head, trying to show Seoho that he would.

 

“Good,” hummed Seoho before he turned and walked out of the room, closing the door behind him.