Chapter 11

Hiding the Truth

Niki looked up at Juho who hadn’t said anything after being told the news. “Please say something,” he pleaded, looking lost.

 

“What do you want me to say?” Asked Juho as he let out a soft sigh. “I don’t know what’s going to happen, okay?” He asked. “But we’re all here for you,” he added. “Have you told the others yet?” He asked.

 

“No, we have other priorities,” responded Niki as he shook his head. “I don’t want to burden the others with my problems, not while we’re still trying to figure out Chanyoung’s problem,” he added.

 

“We know Chanyoung’s problem,” reminded Juho as he sighed at Niki. “But you need to tell the others at least, because it’ll be easier on you,” he added. “I think it’s better if you tell the others,” he explained.

 

“Right,” mumbled Niki before he turned and left the room, going to contemplate what he was told.

 

~

 

Jeongwoo met up with Niki a few days later, hearing about his friend needing to talk to him alone. He had an idea of what it had been about, since years of silence let him contemplate and observe everything and everyone. He had learned to be perceptive, quietly judging others from the sidelines.

 

Niki met him at the bridge, leaning against the railing as Jeongwoo walked up to him. “Hey Jeongwoo,” he greeted, giving a small grin in greeting.

 

Jeongwoo grinned in greeting, immediately looking concerned as he took in Niki’s tense posture.

 

"It’s been hard,” grumbled Niki as he let out a sigh. “But I’m okay, don’t worry,” he added. “I just- I found out that I don’t have a soulmate,” he explained.

 

Jeongwoo could only hum, looking sympathetic as he reached out and patted Niki on the shoulder in a comforting way. He hated the fact that he couldn’t speak right now, otherwise he’d try and give vocal reassurances. He just hoped that Niki was able to get comfort from the simple gesture of being patted on the shoulder.

 

“Thank you,” mumbled Niki as he appreciated the gesture. “I know you’re trying to comfort me, so thank you again,” he added. “I do plan on telling Seobin and Jeonggeun later, so don’t say anything in the group chat alright? I already told Juho, as we live in the same dorms, so,” he explained, his voice trailing off as he sighed in resignation.

 

Jeongwoo nodded his head, letting his arm drop to his side as he tried to smile reassuringly. He wasn’t sure what this kind of news would do to Niki, but he would try to be there for his friend.

 

~

 

Seobin, Juho and Niki ended up meeting up back at the house Jeonggeun and Jeongwoo were staying in to have the talk with Seobin and Jeonggeun as Seobin had to spend a few nights with Jeongwoo again after Chanyoung suddenly got busy and had to attend some more sessions.

 

Word had gotten around to everyone who was in the guard at that point, and Jake, Seoho and Yeonjun let them have their peace for the moment as everyone met in the backyard to have a private talk.

 

Jeongwoo and Juho stood with Niki as Niki prepared himself for this talk. Niki was nervous, as he wasn’t sure what the others would think of his situation, and Jeongwoo and Juho weren’t sure of Jeonggeun or Seobin’s reaction to the news.

 

“Well,” started Niki as he let out a soft sigh. “I finally found out about my soulmate mark,” he explained, rubbing the back of his neck with his hand.

 

“What is it?” Asked Jeonggeun as he blinked in wonder.

 

Seobin knew something was up when Juho didn’t immediately say something, instead choosing to shake his head.

 

“You don’t have a soulmate, do you?” Asked Seobin as he finally caught on.

 

“Yes,” responded Niki as he looked down at his feet. “I don’t have a soulmate,” he clarified, looking up to see their reactions.

 

“There’s nothing wrong with that,” remarked Jeonggeun as he tried to be reassuring. “It doesn’t mean anything anyway, who knows your next life will get you a soulmate,” he added.

 

“Yeah!” Exclaimed Seobin as he nodded his head. “There’s nothing wrong with that!” He shouted, running up to Niki and tackling him, giving him a hug. “That means nothing to us,” he stated, speaking quieter as Jake came outside to check on them. “So it’s okay,” he reassured, moving back with a grin.

 

“You have nothing to worry about it seems,” remarked Jake as he walked over, putting his hands in his hoodie pockets. “You should spend the night, if you want,” he added, turning to Niki who blinked at that.

 

“Am I allowed to?” Asked Niki as he turned to Jake.

 

“Sure, you’ll just be staying in Jeongwoo’s room, if that’s alright?” Asked Jake.

 

“Yeah, that’s fine,” responded Niki as he nodded. “As long as there’s room of course,” he added.

 

“There’s lots of room!” Exclaimed Seobin as he looked excited. “It’s really big!” He explained, throwing his arms out to try and emphasize how big Jeongwoo’s room was.

 

“Sadly I must return to the dorms,” sighed Juho as he rubbed the back of his neck with his right hand. “But I’ll let them know you won’t be returning tonight,” he added.

 

“Come by tomorrow for lunch or something, we’ll be here,” reminded Jake as he nodded his head.

 

“Sure, if you’re okay with it?” Asked Juho.

 

“Yeah, no problem,” reassured Jake as he nodded his head.

 

“Cool,” commented Juho as he nodded his head.

 

~

 

Jeongwoo was out getting a drink at the convenience store down the road from the house when someone ran into him, almost knocking him into the drinks if he didn’t quickly stabilize himself, grabbing onto the person who turned to him.

 

I’m sorry, I was running and hiding from my friends,” signed the person as he moved away from Jeongwoo.

 

“What?” Asked Jeongwoo, blinking in surprise at the sound of his own voice coming out of his mouth.

 

The stranger in front of him blinked, his mouth dropping open in surprise as he was now able to hear things, the hum of the fridge next to them startling him as he jumped in surprise before looking around for his phone. He quickly brought out his phone and started typing into it, showing Jeongwoo what he had signed to him.

 

“It’s- okay?” Asked Jeongwoo, testing out his voice and finding it odd that the first language to come out of his mouth was Korean instead of English. “Can you speak too? Or could you not since you couldn’t hear?” He asked.

 

“I- can speak a little bit,” responded the person, slowly testing out the words. “I’m- my name is Junkyu,” he added, looking up at Jeongwoo in awe.

 

“Jeongwoo,” responded Jeongwoo as he nodded his head. “I’m getting a drink before heading home, do you want something too?” He asked.

 

“Ah! Let- let me pay for it, since I nearly knocked you over,” insisted Junkyu as he shook his head. “I can- escape my friends and go with you, if you don’t mind,” he added.

 

“Okay,” sighed Jeongwoo as he nodded, handing his drink to Junkyu who immediately ran to pay for it, with Jeongwoo following after him.

 

“Where- where are you going?” Asked Junkyu after he paid for Jeongwoo’s drink.

 

“I was going home, but let’s just go walk around,” responded Jeongwoo as he took the drink from Junkyu before walking out of the convenience store.

 

Junkyu quickly followed after him, falling into step beside Jeongwoo as they walked in comfortable silence.

 

~

 

Jeongwoo: uh, I have someone with me when we meet at the bridge today

 

Niki: who?

 

Jeonggeun: spill the beans!

 

Seobin: yeah, tell us!

 

Jeongwoo: you'll see

he's a little shy

 

Jeonggeun: interesting

 

“Do you think they'll like me?” Asked Junkyu as he read the chat after Jeongwoo showed him.

 

“I don't know,” replied Jeongwoo, being honest. “I guess we'll see,” he mused, looking thoughtful as he took his phone back and put it in his pocket.

 

As they reached the bridge Jeongwoo spoke up, seeing the others a few feet in front of them. “Just remember, Seobin is only putting up a front, so he may act like a child around you,” he explained.

 

“S-sure,” reassured Junkyu as he nodded his head, the both of them coming to a stop in front of the others.

 

“Finally made it!” Exclaimed Seobin as he ran over to Jeongwoo. “I see you found a friend!” He remarked, turning to Junkyu who sheepishly grinned at him.

 

“I’m- I’m Junkyu,” greeted Junkyu as he nodded his head. “I couldn’t hear before, but I can now,” he explained, motioning to his ear.

 

“Wait! Does that mean?” Asked Seobin as he turned to Jeongwoo who nodded his head.

 

“I can speak now,” responded Jeongwoo as he stumbled backwards, getting tackled by Seobin.

 

“You- I never thought you’d sound like that,” remarked Seobin as he let go of Jeongwoo, stepping back to let the others crowd around them. “Also, I thought that you’d speak English first?” He asked.

 

“I think how it works is that whoever I meet as my soulmate I speak the language they would understand,” mused Jeongwoo as he looked thoughtful. “It’s a good thing Jake and Seungmin taught me Korean while growing up,” he remarked, humming in thought.