Chapter 2

Hiding the Truth

Jeongwoo spent most of the morning at the cafe, keeping Seobin company while he helped Seobin color in pages of the new coloring book.

 

As Niki finished up what work he had for the day he found himself observing the two friends, seeing that something wasn't quite right with them. He decided against saying something, figuring that everyone had their reasons for doing what they do. He didn't miss the look that Seobin gave him, but he chose to ignore it for now.

 

Jeongwoo huffed out a sigh, getting up and going to get another refill, soon coming back with it and sitting down in front of Seobin again.

 

“I think he figured it out,” mumbled Seobin as he picked out a color before continuing to color. “Do you think it's best to become friends with him?” He asked, looking up at Jeongwoo.

 

Jeongwoo shrugged, looking indifferent to the idea. He didn't know Niki, so he wasn't sure if it even was a good idea to make a new friend.

 

“I guess we'll have to ask Jake,” grumbled Seobin before he put the marker down and picked out another color to add to the picture. “Isn't this cool?” He asked, speaking louder and adding a child like tone to his voice. “This- this one has fishys!” He explained, causing Jeongwoo to nod along in agreement as he looked down at the picture being colored.

 

“Sorry, I got caught up in my last class,” explained Chanyoung as he walked over and sat down beside Seobin. “How was the coloring? Did you get any good ones colored in?” He asked.

 

“Mhm!” Responded Seobin as he showed Chanyoung the pages he colored in. “Jeongwoo helped too,” he added, pointing to the ones that Jeongwoo helped color in.

 

“These look nice,” commented Chanyoung as he nodded at the pictures being shown. “You did a good job,” he added, nodding at Seobin's excited squeal.

 

“Thank you, big brother,” Seobin said sincerely, grinning at Chanyoung who smiled back at him.

 

“Jake should be back soon, I managed to run into him on the way over,” reassured Chanyoung as he turned to Jeongwoo. “He needed to make sure he was still good with his classes before heading back,” he added. “Jeonggeun is done for the day I believe, but he's gotta go make sure that his visa is still good,” he added as an afterthought.

 

Jeongwoo nodded his head, understanding what Chanyoung was saying. He knew his visa was good at least, but at some point he would have to return home. For now he would enjoy his time here, wondering when his soulmate would show up. If they ever did.

 

“Sorry, classes were so annoying,” sighed Jake as he entered the cafe, the first of the afternoon crew showing up behind him. He went to get his order before walking over to Jeongwoo's table, sitting beside Jeongwoo with a huff.

 

“Long first day?” Asked Chanyoung as he looked at Jake.

 

“Not only that but I needed to make sure I was registered for all my classes,” mumbled Jake. “So there was a lot of stress there,” he added.

 

“Long time no see, Jake,” greeted Niki as he walked over. “The dorms are different now without you or Heeseung there,” he remarked as he pulled up a chair to sit down.

 

“Jeongwoo really likes chai lattes,” chimed in Seobin as he pointed one of the markers at Jeongwoo. “He got like 10 refills of it,” he added.

 

“Who was making the drink?” Asked Jake as he blinked in surprise.

 

“It was um, the um,” stuttered Seobin as he tried to remember. “The- The sad one,” he blurted out, dropping the marker and covering his mouth. “Sorry,” he apologized, voice muffled by his hands before he dropped them, going back to coloring.

 

“Sunghoon?” Asked Jake as he turned to Jeongwoo.

 

Jeongwoo nodded, confirming who it was before turning to Seobin and shaking his head at him.

 

“Ah, Sunghoon does make good lattes,” mused Jake as he looked thoughtful. “Well, we should get going,” he added, getting up. “Jeonggeun should be home by now, and Seoho is probably awake now from his nap,” he mused, grabbing his drink as Jeongwoo got up. “We'll see you around, Chanyoung, Niki, and Seobin,” he added, waving to them before leaving with Jeongwoo.

 

Seobin watched them go, huffing out a sigh and disguising it as a pout. “I wanted to color with Jeongwoo more,” he whined, looking down at the book.

 

“I'll be sure to ask for him to hang out again, okay?” Asked Chanyoung, smiling a bit when Seobin eagerly nodded. He looked at his phone when it started ringing, shaking his head as he got up. “I need to answer this, I'll be right back, okay?” He asked, walking out of the cafe to answer the phone.

 

“You're not who you act are you?” Asked Niki, getting straight to the point once Chanyoung was outside of earshot.

 

Seobin let out a soft sigh, passing over a marker and the book to continue coloring and letting Niki start coloring part of the picture. “No, I'm not,” he replied, his voice back to normal. “But please keep this secret? There's a reason for it,” he explained.

 

“Does it have anything to do with the sadness I feel coming off him everytime we see each other?” Asked Niki as he picked up the marker and started coloring.

 

“He can't hide that sadness forever,” grumbled Seobin as he concentrated on the picture he was coloring. “But yes,” he eventually replied, taking a breath to steady his nerves. “I didn't think you saw him too often?” He asked.

 

“I don't, but I'm trying to get into the medical program,” explained Niki as he shrugged. “So I'm sure I'll be seeing him a lot more after this,” he added. “He's become famous around campus for his reasons for trying to get into the medical field,” he explained.

 

“You know, he never told me his reasons for getting into the medical program, I hope that he's had a good reason for doing so,” remarked Seobin, looking up when the phone call had finished and Chanyoung reentered the cafe. “Don't color this one red, color this one red!” Exclaimed Seobin, back to using his child like tone as he pointed to the other thing in the picture. “That- That one is supposed to be green,” he whined, passing over the green marker.

 

“Oh, sorry,” apologized Niki as he put the cap back on the red marker and passed it over to Seobin before picking up the green one and starting to color that one in.

 

“Come on,” sighed Chanyoung as he walked over. “We need to get home, and tomorrow's a doctor's appointment so I need to figure out who can take you since I have classes tomorrow,” he added.

 

“Eeeew, doctors,” whined Seobin as he pouted, gathering up his markers and putting them back in the box.

 

“It's just a checkup, Seobin,” reminded Chanyoung. “So it won't take long,” he added.

 

“But I hate doctors,” whined Seobin, shaking his head in defiance.

 

“If you can't find anyone to take him, I wouldn't mind accompanying him,” chimed in Niki as he nodded his head.

 

“Are you sure, I could ask someone at Allen's dorm?” Asked Chanyoung as he looked at Niki.

 

“This may sound weird but I've been here all day and have spoken with your brother and Jeongwoo, I think I can handle him,” explained Niki as he nodded.

 

“Okay, let's meet here tomorrow around 9 am?” Asked Chanyoung. “The doctor's office is just down the road from here so,” he added.

 

“Sure, I can do that,” responded Niki as he nodded.

 

“Okay, let's go Seobin,” reminded Chanyoung as he turned and left, walking out of the cafe a minute later.

 

Seobin looked relieved, grinning at Niki who grinned back at him. “Thank you,” he mumbled, sincerely before getting up and leaving, running after Chanyoung.

 

“What did I get myself into,” mused Niki as he looked thoughtful.