3/7

the devil in you.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The team, some in pairs, revisit and inquire about the victims’ families and witnesses. The last person is their very own team leader. Chanyeol is one of the victims’ families.

He provides an accurate time and date to them on what happened that night to his father once they return to the boardroom.

Mr Park was on the phone with Chanyeol, slightly tipsy but the line was cut off without warning. He managed to trace the call with the help of an emergency helpline.

His father was found dead in an empty alley without a heart. His death was similar to the previous case which was three months ago. It is a continuation of serial murder.

Due to the unfortunate event, Mr Oh handed the case over to another prosecutor and even allowed Chanyeol to have a month off but Chanyeol refused strongly. 

He was persistent to go on with the case so he did but there have been no improvements so the chief closed the case to the public. To dodge suspicion by the sudden news, the chief establishes a new team.

He appointed Chanyeol as the leader to which the others were baffled some irritated.

“There’ll be no difference anyway,” Mr Oh sighs into the phone while rubbing his temple, “I have to disband the team sooner or later. Don’t you worry.”

///

During the lunch break, the demon has an intense gaze on Oh Sehun. The admin seldom takes glances at him and whenever he does, the human will supply a cheerful smile before digging into his meal like a hungry puppy. 

Junmyeon turns his eyes to the team leader who has just taken his seat with his food. Chanyeol did not ask about anything that happened last week. He does not ask anything either, deciding to be quiet for once. 

Just when he is about to ask Do Kyungsoo whether he acknowledges Chanyeol’s blackouts (even though he does not need to since he can read humans’ memories by staring into their souls), he detects the familiar raced footsteps from the other day.

Byun Baekhyun requests Chanyeol to have a private conversation. The team becomes uncomfortable with the prosecutor’s presence except for Chanyeol and Junmyeon. 

Not only that, but their team leader has not even taken a spoonful of his meal yet. Junmyeon cannot do anything about this time. The human has important information to tell Chanyeol.

“This is urgent,” Byun Baekhyun is frustrated that his former mentor is not paying attention, “Your team is bound to be ceased.”

Everyone in the cafeteria halts what they are doing to listen upon hearing this, curious about what he has to say.

Most of the prosecutors in the bureau want the stupid team to disperse. It is unfair to have a weirdo as a team leader.

Moreover, police and prosecutors are not supposed to get along well so the team is just strange for them to accept.

Junmyeon glowers at the pathetic humans who are loaded with envy and greed. He understands it is common among mortals but it is truly sickening. His eyes glow a bright red for a split second towards Prosecutor Choi who is waiting for his food.

He is the one who is fond of making rumors about Chanyeol. Doing a circle with his forefinger under the table, the demon makes a janitor trip and the dirty dishes are splattered all over the prosecutor’s shirt as a result.

The commotion draws everyone’s concentration away from Byun Baekhyun. The cafeteria is back to normal now. Chanyeol does not pay attention to the cursing prosecutor exiting the cafeteria.

He sets the chopsticks neatly on the tray, peering up at his former apprentice with an impassive expression. “He’s right.” Chanyeol hears the demon’s voice in his head just like that night.

He looks at Junmyeon and the demon nods, resuming, “Prosecutor Byun eavesdropped on your chief’s conversation with his senior deputy.”

Chanyeol pushes his meal toward Kim Jongin since he has not touched his food yet. Maybe he’s not heartless as I thought, The profiler only bows his head awkwardly while mumbling thanks.

Do Kyungsoo stifles a giggle a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter