2/7

the devil in you.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kim Suho introduces himself as a senior detective. His good-looking assistant is a profiler. Chanyeol’s colleagues shake hands as they take their time to know each other.

During this time, Chanyeol only has his eyes transfixed on the demon. Said being’s eyes connect with his and within a split second, the demon’s orbs changes into brief red as he sends a cheeky grin.

Chanyeol orders the rest to leave him and the ‘senior detective’ a moment. The others obey despite the confusion. 

“Why are you here.” 

Junmyeon has the same soft smirk once he is face to face with the human he has taken an interest in, “I told you that I’ll be seeing you again, Prosecutor Park.” Chanyeol recalls their conversation from early morning, “Will you still follow me if I told you my wish.”

Junmyeon does a welcoming gesture with a little bow and with that similar grin etched on his mouth, he says, “I’ll disappear from your life after your wish is granted.”

Chanyeol simply states with no hints of emotion, “Go back to where you came from.”

An eerie chuckle slips Junmyeon’s mouth at that, heading a step closer towards the tall male steadily, “That’s not how a wish works, love.” Chanyeol decides to leave to call back the team.

There is no point in having this conversation any longer.

“You know I can help you,” Junmyeon speaks from where he is, not looking at the male. Chanyeol heeds no attention. “Aren’t you curious about your father’s killer? He’s someone you know very dearly.” Chanyeol turns the doorknob, pushing the door open.

The name leaves Junmyeon’s lips. It is loud and clear. Chanyeol halts taking another step out of the boardroom at once.

He walks back to the police detective after shutting the door close. Chanyeol is right in front of the demon, impassive, “What did you just say.”

Junmyeon calmly repeats the name while his eyes stare into the human’s soul as he sees the past events that happened in Chanyeol’s life. He has the saddest smile on his face after knowing what happened but of course, Chanyeol cannot feel his empathy.

///

The boardroom has a double-sided whiteboard situated behind the team leader’s seat. The long table is occupied by Chanyeol’s teammates with files and papers as well as stationery. They are seven of them in total.

The meeting of the serial murderer has just ended. Everyone has taken their turns to brief the case with Chanyeol being the last one so that all are informed. The door blasts open out of nowhere, startling everyone except for Chanyeol and Junmyeon.

The demon already knows a human is about to barge in. Byun Baekhyun, Chanyeol’s former mentee, intrudes on the meeting without an apology as he rushes to the man himself.

He seems to look upset and the team begins to feel uneasy except for Chanyeol and Junmyeon.

“Why didn’t you count me in?”

Chanyeol is silent, drawing his chair to sit on it before minding his own business. Since no one is aware of Chanyeol’s alexithymia trait, he is labeled as rude or the people from other departments will say, he has no basic etiquette with his colleagues.

Chanyeol is always alone during lunch at the cafeteria due to this. He is straightforward and he does not talk much so they think he is a weirdo. Even in front of the dead bodies of victims, he expresses no remorse.

They have names for him, and the most popular one is known as ‘the devil’ since he shows no mercy. Chanyeol knows the false rumors but he does not care. After all, he cannot feel.

“I asked you a question, Prosecutor Park.”

Chanyeol settles his pen on his book, peering up at the flushed face of Byun Baekhyun.

Noting the tense air the demon, or in his current disguise, the senior detective stretches his arms above his head to draw attention, “Is anyone else hungry? I heard your cafeteria serves good food, Mr Lee. Any recommendations?” 

The young prosecutor stands up while nodding, “You have to try the tonkatsu, Detective Kim. What about you guys?” The rest immediately acknowledge the situation so they agree while getting out of their seats.

Before exiting, they glance at their team leader who is having a staring competition with his former mentee.

The demon listens to their conversation even though he is getting further away from the boardroom.

“Allow me to join the team.”

Chanyeol closes his book, “No.” Byun Baekhyun’s hands turn into fists, “Why can’t I?” Chanyeol looks at him blankly, “There’s no reason.” He heads for the door but the young prosecutor stops him with a grab of his wrist, “Listen here, Chanyeol, your father—”

“I prefer to stick with formalities during work hours, Prosecutor Byun.”

Byun Baekhyun gapes at his former mentor, unable to form a reply. Chanyeol then swings the door open, not looking at his former mentee as he states, “If there’s nothing else, I’ll be leaving.”

Junmyeon’s assistant, Kim Jongin, asks the admins specifically the short one with growing curiosity whether the two of them are a thing in a hushed whisper. The demon chooses to join the conversation since the admins seem to look uncomfortable.

He makes eye contact with one of them for the answer to Kim Jongin’s question. “Let me guess. Our dear team leader turned him down,” Junmyeon turns his head to the short admin, grinning, “Didn’t he?”

The short admin looks like he has seen an unearthly being. He neglects the detective’s gaze instantly and Junmyeon has to hold in a chortle. Humans are so terrible at concealing the truth.

Junmyeon looks at the taller one, the grin still there. Oh Sehun, flustered, nods curtly, “Yes… Everyone in the bureau knows about Prosecutor Byun—”

The short admin nudges his elbow twice into his colleague’s ribs as if in an attempt to stop him from leaking information. “Don’t you worry, Mr Do,” The demon winks, “I won’t tell my pals in the station.”

Do Kyungsoo shies away from the gaze only to peer at Junmyeon’s assistant. The profiler mutters to himself for being left out.

“What happened after that?”

Kim Jongin questions Do Kyungsoo seated in front of him. They have just taken their spot at a table in the cafeteria which is filling up with people.

Junmyeon is seated across from Oh Sehun while the other two prosecutors are also faced with each other, having an empty spot next to Junmyeon for their team leader.

The demon indeed takes Prosecutor Lee’s recommendation of today’s menu and it is quite good.

“Well, um,” The short admin glances at Oh Sehun who is occupied with his meal before staring at the very interested Kim Jongin, “After Prosecutor Byun was successful with his first ever case, he kind of… He confessed to our boss.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter