five

Strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“What’s gotten into you?” 

 

Taemin flicked his eyes towards the sound of Minho’s voice and towering frame. He was still lying on the mat, thinking when Minho found him. 

 

“Stuff.”

 

“You’re so grumpy, it’s not even noon yet. Is it about your album?”

 

Something about Minho just makes him want to open up, even when they were just rookies. His doting can get stifling at times, but Taemin would be lying if he said he doesn’t need it every once in a while.

 

“No.”

 

Minho occupied the space beside him. He can feel his gaze studying him.

 

“Ah. Don’t tell me it’s another one of those…”

 

Taemin rolled his eyes at the obvious disapproval on Minho’s face. 

 

“Taeminie, you promised us you’d be careful. You’re a grown man, we know we can’t tell you what to do, but it’s not healthy…besides if this leaks out, you know it will be messy.”

 

The older SHINee members never supported his kinks and were vocal about it to this day. There was only one other person who encouraged him to explore in the past, but he’s not here anymore..besides, Taemin doesn’t like thinking about his Jonghun hyung. 

 

Taemin understood their concern but he knows his boundaries…well, most of the time. 

 

Actually, it’s the first time he’s ever been too tempted to try it with someone he works with. A part of him hopes that if he tells Minho about it, he’d talk some sense into him. Because it really doesn’t do him good to mix work and leisure..specially this one. 

 

“What if I tell you it’s someone you know?”

 

Minho’s round eyes got even rounder. Then his face changed from surprise to concern.

 

“It’s Serin, isn’t it?”

 

When Taemin smiled, Minho’s face fell. 

 

“I knew it.”

 

“How so?”

 

“You clearly love pushing her buttons..and the woman is terrified of you. You only do that if you want someone gone..or if you like playing with them.”

 

Playing. Yeah, that’s how he feels..and Serin’s discomfort and the slight intrigue on her face whenever he tries to figure her out piques his interest more and more every time. 

 

“Why do you look so worried?”

 

“Taemin, she’s not a toy, and she’s really nice.”

 

Taemin studied Minho. Could it be….?

“You like her?”

 

“Yes I do. She’s nice and she puts up with you. I’ll be glad to be away knowing there are good people like her around to look out for you.” 

 

“No, hyung. You think she’s pretty, don’t you?” He teased.

 

Minho shook his head at him and scowled, but he didn’t respond.

 

“I think she’s pretty….” He chuckled. “...like how we used to think our teachers were pretty in middle school.” Taemin added. 

 

“Whatever game it is you’re planning, it’s going to be bad, Taemin. Have some boundaries. She works for you.”

 

He felt that that was the end of the conversation for Minho, and he knew when to stop badgering him when he’s annoyed. 

 

The next day, Taemin received news that his show in France is going to be postponed. This could have ruined his day except that he did want to do more stuff in France but the schedule was so sudden, he didn’t have time to plan it. This makes it a very welcome delay. 

 

This time, he can mix business with pleasure…and maybe this will take his mind off Serin and drill sense into him. 

 

**

 

Serin thought she could finally sleep soundly when Manager Euisoo told her France was postponed (she’d been having weird dreams about Taemin’s lips since their last interaction). But her peace of mind didn’t even last for a day because  she’d just received an email from her boss about a list of things he wants done before they leave for Paris in a little over a week. 

 

There’s clothing to buy, hotel rooms to reserve, a document to translate and the same freaking contract she prepares in Korean, English..and this time around, Spanish. 

 

She has a week to get things done and it’s a short window of time given most of the items on her list require coordination with different people. 

 

First off: securing an appointment at an exclusive boutique in Paris called épicé. This one is unlisted and she has zero idea what kinds of clothing they sell but Taemin asked her to book the place for the entire afternoon a day after his show. 

 

“I guess he loves his privacy..” she mumbled as she dialed the boutique’s number. As soon as they found out that it was Monsieur Taemin booking the place, everything went smoothly. Serin was impressed. Her boss is probably one of their VIPs; indeed money and fame has its perks. The woman promised to email her a confirmation of the reserved items, and having a sense of fulfillment, Serin decided to meet up with one of her old university friends who was in Korea for an exchange student program.

 

She took the bus to Hongdae. The streets were already bustling when she arrived at Sticks, a well known bar frequented by young professionals and students. 

 

“Selene!!!!” 

 

She almost didn’t recognize her own name. It’s been so long since she was called by her english name. 

 

“Oh my God, you look so pretty!” Serin shrieked, as soon as she saw Meg.

 

She and Meg met on their first day of Victorian Lit class, and it was love at first Mr. Darcy discussion. 

 

“Shut up, I missed you so much!!!” Meg hugged her tightly.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter