eleven

Strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“It’s gonna be fine.” 

Serin didn’t feel encouraged no matter how many times Minho tried to tell her that Taemin might get annoyed but he won’t get angry. 

She waved goodbye and rushed towards the elevator that led to one of the offices where she and Taemin have their classes. 

Taking a few deep breaths, Serin allowed her body to relax.

“Why am I so worried?” she asked herself.

Given that Taemin’s temper can get really dark whenever things don’t go his way, she’d never once been mistreated by her boss. Yet, her heart thumped nervously in her chest despite her efforts to calm herself down. 

She’d been analyzing her own reaction when a voice called out, “I can see you. Come in.”

It was Taemin, probably seeing her shoes through the glass wall which was transparent at the bottom portion. 

When she opened the door, she saw that Taemin was busy typing something on his laptop, not even sparing a glance when he told her that she’s late. 

“I know…I’m sorry. I lost track of time.”

She was wringing her hands, nervous, but she stopped midway when Taemin looked at her squarely. His face looked neutral but there was a tightness in his jaw. She can tell that he was annoyed. But maybe Minho was right, he’ll be fine after a while.

“Let’s start. I need to go to a concept meeting in an hour.”

She apologized multiple times while she got her laptop ready. 

The class was more serious than most. It seemed like Taemin really wanted to absorb the lesson quickly. He even asked about writing tips for an essay. Again, the essays. Those are going to kill her. 

“Well, it differs based on the kind of essay you want to write.”

“I’m writing an essay on the importance of film in education. And I want to write it in english.”

Serin was surprised and a bit impressed. This is a tall order, considering that Taemin’s english is just on the day to day conversation level. But it seems like he was intent on doing the task, so she gave him some pointers. Taemin looked at her, nodding and writing down notes.
 

“Then you can send me your draft as usual.” She ended. 

“Okay. I guess that ends our class today.”

“Yes.” she confirmed, picking up the books on the table and putting them inside her bag.

The room fell silent and she felt that Taemin’s eyes were on her even if she couldn't see them.

And she realized that part of her nerves for today’s class was the fact that it’s their first face to face class since France. Most of the work she’d done for him in the past week was reviewing his workbooks and essays. 

She didn’t want things to be awkward, so she tried to push away  the details of that night, far into the deepest parts of her brain, never to be thought about again.

“I really didn’t like that you’re late today. It shouldn’t happen again.”

She had to look at him because it would be weird if she responded while looking at her shoes. 

“Uh, yes. I’m really sorry. I should probably not schedule gym sessions before our classes.”

Taemin gave her a knowing look that made her feel that he knew that she actually forgot about the class because she was out with friends. Yet he just looked at her without saying anything. 

It felt like forever until he said, “Good.” 

Serin put on her backpack, ready to leave. But her feet just won’t let her. 

That night with Taemin in Paris bugged her. She felt that no matter how evil Taemin might be in her eyes, he didn’t deserve what her clumsy drunken lips spewed out. 

And so she turned around, preparing to apologize again.

When she cleared , Taemin lifted his gaze away from his laptop screen, and directed it towards her. 

“I just wanted to say sorry again for my behavior..uh..that night in Paris. It was unbecoming and unprofessional. I should’ve been more mindful because it was a work trip..and there is no excuse regardless of whatever circumstances that happened. And, uh, I really want to thank you for not firing me or locking me out of the room. For even being there and talking to me even though I’m pretty sure I must’ve been talking gibberish the entire night. Thank you. And about t-the..uhm..” 

Serin couldn’t bring herself to mention the word “kiss” because it sounded surreal. As if saying it would make it true..and the kiss being true means embarrassment of a lifetime. 

She was trying to say it…looking for better words. And Taemin might’ve gotten impatient because he in. 

“The kiss?”

She stared at him. His face wasn’t in a jokey/amused expression. He looked pretty neutral.

“Y-yes. That.”

‘What about it?”

“I’m sorry. And what I said about not liking you, please don’t misinterpret. Uh..I just didn’t think I should do it with someone I’m not even in a relationship with…I just..I don’t have casual flings..”

Serin’s voice sounded smaller and smaller as her sentence ended. It was so hard to find words that she’d think wouldn’t offend. But that’s that. She’s not the type to casually sleep with men. And it’s not like she’s attracted to Taemin…he is attractive, just not the type she’d fall for. 

“Don’t say sorry, I was the one who kissed you. I was also tipsy and it was a lapse in judgment.”

Ouch. Did he just say that kissing her was a bad decision?

“No. I mean, you don’t have to make it as if kissing me was so disgusting.”

Taemin chuckled. “I didn’t say that.”

“Fine. But you’re right..you’re not my type, I’m not your type. So it’s safe to say it will never happen again.”

“Let’s just agree that kissing each other was a bad idea.”

“Agreed.” She said.

“Okay, anything else?”

“No.”

“Alright. You can go.”

She nodded, but turned to look at Taemin again when he said something.

“And, Serin…I think it’s best for the both of us if you don’t walk around acting like I’m gonna bite your head off at any given time. I’m harmless.”

She didn’t expect that. Was her boss trying to build rapport? After months of them barely talking unless it’s work related?

“Uh…what do you mean?”  She didn’t want to admit that being around him makes her nervous. 

“Please. I saw you…were you doing breathing exercises outside, before coming in?”

She bit her lip. 

So he saw her. 

“I was…but to be fair, I thought you were angry.”

“I was.”

“So…my breathing exercises were valid.”

Taemin shook his head, but there was a small smile on his lips. That made Serin feel a little at ease. 

“Whatever…just tell me if something is bugging you. I don’t want people to think I’m mistreating you or forcing you to work or something.”

She stared at him carefully, studying him. She was dying to ask what changed. Why was he being nice? 

Maybe she should just ask. So she did.

“Why are you sudden

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter