prologue

Strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Serin

Serin tried to hold back her tears in an effort to look strong in front of Bo Hyun. This can’t be happening. She didn’t move to Korea and abandon her dreams of studying music in the US just to get dumped.

Five years of her life down the drain. 

Five years which to her meant building a future with the man who was meant to be her first and last. They were talking about where to get married two years ago…what happened? 

“This has to be some sort of a joke, Bo Hyun.” She said, her voice cracking.

“Serin, I don’t want to pretend anymore. It’s been different between us since the past year..I don’t think I feel the same about you. I’m sorry.” 

She looked at his face. His eyes looked sad but apart from that, there was no pain in them. He almost looked bored, like he wanted to get this confrontation over with.

“What about our dreams of building a life here? I moved her for you. We were supposed to be together, reaching for our dreams and supporting each other.”

“I didn’t ask for you to move here.”

His words felt like a knife slowly piercing through her chest. Her words have failed her. Indeed it was her decision; she boldly told her parents that she’s sure that she can build a life with Bo Hyun in Korea. Her mother was specifically adamant, reminding her how tough her family’s finances were back in the 90s and that there are more opportunities for her elsewhere - e.g. the States. There might not be a financial crisis in Korea right now, but suddenly she felt lost. She slowly realized that Bo Hyun made her so confident about moving here. What’s an aspiring music major and literature degree holder going to do here? YG was supposed to be a temporary job..until she earned enough money to study or maybe get a scholarship from one of the local universities. 

Her train of thoughts were interrupted when her phone suddenly rang. It was Minhee, one of her colleagues in YG. 

“Minhee, I’m in the middle of something I’ll call you back.”

“Serin-ah..”

Something about the way she said her name meant trouble. Minhee said she’ll hang up but that she should read the link she sent her. Curious, she immediately clicked on Minhee’s message. The link redirected her to Yonhap News’ page. When she saw Bo Hyun’s face on the page, her brows creased, puzzled.

She looked up, fixing her eyes on the tall, handsome man in front of her. The man she’s known as her boyfriend since she was a freshman in university. Her Bo Hyun, which to everyone else in Korea is a fine specimen of a man and a talented actor. His acting career took off in the last two years and Serin can’t be any prouder. 

But now she finally realized why Bo Hyun is breaking up with her.

Her eyes returned to the Yonhap News’ page which said: Blackpink’s Jisoo and actor Ahn Bo Hyun confirmed that they are in a relationship!

“I seewhy you’ve fallen out of love..” She chuckled darkly, as a tear streaked her left cheek despite her efforts to keep her emotions in check. “At least you have the decency to break up with me just before news of your new relationship comes out.”

Her stomach has turned into giant knots as she remembered even going to YG staff dinners with the two of t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter