nine

Strings
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Can you turn the mic up? I can barely hear myself.” 

Taemin addressed one of the tech guys before stepping onto the stage. The man nodded and he answered with a thumbs up when the volume was adjusted to his liking. 

He stretched a little, emptying his mind, but failing. 

It used to be so easy. 

One look at the busy crowd, as soon as the collective call on his name falls on his ears and as soon as the glare from the stage lights hits him..it worked wonders. 

His mind would be emptied, limbs ready to be taken over by the music.

Same old, same old, but new every single time. Performing, just like making love, makes him forget everything. And it gives him this high, the kind that makes him keep going back. The only difference being, on stage, and in front of his fans, he can be more himself. When critics describe his dancing as raw, emotional and without pretense - he feels an immense sense of joy because at least, in one part of his public life, he’s honest. 

Talent doesn’t lie..and at least that aspect of his career didn’t let him down. 

Everytime he performs he has only one desire: to make people who love him, love him even more…and to make those who don’t..well..to lure them in. 

He’d often say this: once they’re in, they can never leave.

It’s a half joke, but it’s also something he wishes will be true as long as he’s around and still giving his all in this awful industry that takes everything away.

But as he prepared to go on stage, emptying his mind seemed difficult. He’s so distracted. He keeps getting reminded of what he saw a few minutes back while he talked with his manager. 

 

Unknown to Serin, he saw her looking miserable while Bohyun flirted with his new girlfriend. The look in her eyes was what got to him. It’s the same look she had on her face that day in his apartment, when he told her about the fake Goyard purse. It was the look of utter disbelief and self-pity. He hated how familiar it was and how he was able to identify it even after so many years.

 

What didn’t sit well with him was how he saw Serin put a cap on before hiding behind the speakers so she wouldn’t be seen.

 

He didn’t even know that Blackpink were performing. Euisoo told him they were a last minute addition to the lineup, along with iKON.  

 

“Get a grip, Taemin.” He told himself, kicking himself internally for being distracted with something that does not even concern himself. 

 

Soon later, he opened his stage with Want, careful not to look at the area near the speakers on the right side of the stage. He knew Serin was still there, hiding like an idiot and it was surprisingly getting on his nerves. 

 

The crowd went wild when he did the iconic hip movements during Want and he smirked, satisfied. 

 

His performance ended well and he was able to relax as soon as he’s off the stage.

Changed into an oversized hoodie and a pair of jeans, Euisoo told him that the car was ready to take him back to the hotel. He paused, thinking if he should do it, still hesitating. 

“Just a minute..I need to check something.”

Taemin put the hood from his shirt up and put on a mask before weaving his way out to the side of the stage. He thought maybe she’s not there anymore but as expected he saw her cowering beside the huge speaker, hiding.

“Are you an idiot?” He couldn’t help showing the irritation from his voice. Serin jumped when he gripped her arm, leading the way out. 

“Uh…Taemin?”

He bugged his eyes out in impatience and vigorously nodded his head towards the direction of the artist’s exit which Serin didn’t know about. However, she fought him off, adamant to leave the spot she’s in.

“Stop asking questions and follow me.” 

It took three more tries until Serin spoke up. She really didn’t want to leave; small beads of perspiration were also starting to form on the sides of her face. 

“Uh..” 

The woman looked embarrassed…and small, as she tried to explain why she was frozen on the spot. She was unaware that he already knew. Because it was so damn obvious. 
 

“What??” He barked impatiently.

He nearly lost it when Serin rambled on about stuff. She was still trying to explain why she needed to stay. 

It took some more prodding, and a little bit of force. Now he’s tightly gripping her arm and leading her stubborn out of the arena.

When he let her go, she winced. 

“That hurt! What’s wrong with you?”

He scoffed at her attitude. “I should be asking you that question.”

They were glaring at each other when Euisoo arrived. He was going to lead them to Taemin’s car.

“I can ride the shuttle back to the hotel.”

He can’t help but roll his eyes. “It's already left, . Just come and ride with us before I change my mind.”

***

Serin was seething but she can’t do anything about it. The object of her scorn was just in front of her and she was so tempted to punch the back of his head, but her rationality was still intact. 

The events of the past hour were unexpected. She’s not even sure why Taemin was acting specially rotten towards her this evening. Thank God he’s handsome and talented because his stinky attitude is not going to redeem him. 

Oh sure, maybe he’s a good lover but he’s a bad person and he’s so promiscuous it makes her feel sick just looking at him. 

“Serin-ssi..”

It was Euisoo. They’ve arrived at the hotel but she’s so preoccupied with her annoyance that she barely noticed.

As soon as she was out of the vehicle, she walked briskly, not even saying a word. 

Her mom raised her to say thank you, but right now, she can’t trust . She might curse the tall, blonde guy who’s also her boss and biggest pain in the , if she tries to say anything. So she just briefly nodded to Manager Euisoo and went on her way. 

When she was finally inside the elevator, she sighed.

She looked at her arm. There were parts that were a bit red and it hurt a bit when she touched it. Taemin gripped it so hard, it’s almost bruised, and it made her mad. Not just because he had no right to hurt her, but because she hated being pitied. 

Ding.

When the door opened, the cool breeze from the open door to the rooftop bar hit her skin. 

She went up on purpose because she didn’t want to run into her boss, given that their rooms are on the same floor. 

So, drinking it is.

There was an empty table at the corner with a perfect view of the Parisian skyline beckoning to her. And so she sat and looked at the menu, thinking if she should drink. 

Deciding on a bocce ball, she lifted her hand to get the waiter’s attention, but her back stiffened when she heard a familiar voice. 

“Serin?”

Bo Hyun stood in front of her with Jisoo’s arm wrapped around his. She hated the woman’s guts, but my God is she beautiful. So beautiful, it made her unconsciously comb her fingers through her hair to smoothen it. 

“Hey.” She responded cheerfully.

“Unnie..”

Serin tried her best to smile back, but it was so hard. She didn’t expect that it would be. It’s been a few months. It’s not like she still has feelings for her ex. 

Or does she?

“Hi, Jisoo.”

“What brings you here?” 

Serin studied Bo Hyun. It didn’t feel like he was rubbing it in. He seemed friendly, sincere even. Like he was actually glad to see her. Just like that time when he saw her eating alone at the restaurant. 

But she wasn’t glad to see him. It wasn’t good to be reminded that the reason she moved thousands of miles from home decided there’s someone else for him. Not good to be reminded of her wounded pride. Of wasted time and energy. Of lies instead of love.

And it hit her. 

Bo Hyun probably lost all feelings for her a long time ago. Not just this year. It’s impossible to be this cordial and friendly with an ex you cheated on, unless he’s a psycho. 

She decided she didn’t have to deal with this today. She’s had too much stress this entire trip and she’s deciding to just go back to her room. Maybe she’ll just get room service. 

She got up, pushed the seat back and started walking away from the couple. 

“Serin!” 

Try as she might, she couldn’t outrun Bo Hyun who was so much taller. 

“Serin, wait..” 

Bo Hyun was huffing, catching his breath.

“I’m sorry. If we’re bothering you, we can go to another place. You don’t have to leave.”

“It’s fine.”

“No, stay.”

They stood there, looking at each other. 

“I…I’m really glad that you’re doing well, Serin. Didn’t expect to run into you here.”

She caught that. Her ex didn’t expect to see her in such an expensive hotel, buying a drink for herself on a Saturday night. 

“Thanks.”

“I know you’re still mad. I’m really sorry. Jisoo feels bad.”

‘Please.”

“It’s true.”

“It doesn’t matter.”

Serin just stood there and Bo Hyun left. She was so angry, she decided that it’s perfectly acceptable for her to drink whatever she wants. She deserves it. 

She went back to her spot and ordered a cocktail for starters. The bocce ball she wanted to get earlier. It was fruity and refreshing and it made her think about those times when Meg would force her to go out and socialize. 

“I wish you’re here, Meg.” she whispered, sipping her drink.

She ordered another one, this time asking if she could have the version with vodka in it and the waiter smiled. Probably recalling how she asked for “mild” cocktails earlier.

“Change of plans..” she added, with a giggle and the waiter nodded saying he’ll be back with her drink in no time. 

An hour and a half later….

“Mademoiselle, i’m sorry but the bartender told me I should stop giving you drinks.”

“Noooooo….i’m strong…I love drinks! The pink one…the one with strawberries…that one was so delicious!” 

Her vision seemed a little blurry, but she didn’t understand why the waiter was being stubborn. She just wanted the strawberry daiquiri. She needed it because she was so thirsty and sad and angry and the drinks made her feel so happy…why can’t they understand that???

Soon after, a female hotel staff asked for her room number. 

“No..I want drinks pleeaaase..”

“Yes, we will get you drinks if you allow us to help you go back to your room. We just want to make sure you get back safe, mademoiselle.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter