how-to videos (and how not to)

who would've thought
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Jimin would like to think she's a fast learner. 

 

She did manage to learn a programming language really quickly when she was in her senior year of high school. It was then that she decided that she wanted to take computer engineering (because she was good at it). 

 

When Aeri told her to talk to Minjeong, she was very much prepared to do it. And she did do it. But it ended so abruptly that Jimin frowned after just texting for five minutes. 

 

Because what do you reply with, that's nice, unnie after texting Minjeong that she was just resting? 

 

Do you laugh? 

 

Do you reroute and find another topic? 

 

Or do you abort the mission? 

 

Jimin aborted the mission. 

 

Her mind buffered upon reading Minjeong's reply, the little workers in her head scrambling to find something (just anything) to keep the conversation going. 

 

But Jimin got stuck.

 

404 error Jimin's brain not found. Unfortunately for her, Jimin cannot just code her way out of an awkward situation. Otherwise, she would have already been firing commands that would for sure work. 

 

Come to think of it, Jimin knows nothing about Minjeong except the fact that they went to the same high school together and that she has a brother. From the little tidbits Jimin had heard here and there, her father used to be a high ranking official in the military. 

 

It's a little intimidating. 

 

And Jimin thought that she couldn't do this alone. She needed a little bit of help to get the ball rolling. Jimin turned to her old friend Google.

 

She's good at researching. 

 

"How do you talk to someone you're interested in?" 

 

Jimin's eyes scanned the results page, clicking on the first article she saw and frowning immediately at the first advice: be confident.

 

Well, . Jimin used half of her confidence already. And quite frankly, she needed to refuel after her failed attempt at making conversation with Minjeong.

 

Annoyed, she exited the page and looked for another article she could read. 

 

Jimin felt a little silly looking up tips. It's embarrassing, she thought, as she fell into a rabbit hole of reels and tiktoks of dating coaches and couples talking about the best way to approach the person you're interested in. 

 

She found them all so useless because it was all about flirting and Jimin doesn't have an iota of flirty DNA in her body. 

 

Plus, Jimin thought that with how she's moving, she probably would not even get to the part where she can actually "bat her eyelashes" at Minjeong to show her that she's interested. 

 

No. Jimin has to get through the awkward phase of texting first. And then maybe, just maybe, ask Minjeong out on a date (just the two of them). 

 

No more group dates. Just Jiminjeong. 

 

And it goes without saying that if her Joohyun unnie would catch her watching these videos, she would not stop teasing her about it and give her unsolicited advice about using her God-given beauty to attract the ladies.

 

Oh, Jimin could only shudder at the thought. 

 

Afraid of being caught, she quickly closed everything and erased her search history (a habit she has started doing since she got her cybersecurity job) before tossing her phone somewhere on the bed.

 

It was hopeless. Good 'ol Google let her down. Most of the stuff were of the heteroual nature, too. She wasn't about to attract some crusty man. 

 

It shouldn't be this hard. Honestly, she has the phone screen acting as a mask to hide her lack of rizz. Goodness, Jimin should have the confidence of a bull behind the screen. But it seems that her inexperience just shows no matter what. 

 

Jimim thinks it's sad that at her tender age, she has had no experience. And it has been a while since she liked someone, too. Not to mention that she's also just figuring out her feelings for Minjeong (and it's quite daunting how fast her feelings for Minjeong have developed). 

 

Giving up, Jimin trudged downstairs where she found her parents in the kitchen — her Appa wiping the plates her Eomma had just washed. 

 

"Appa," Jimin called out. Her father hummed in response but Jimin fell silent for a minute, debating if she should even ask her dad for advice. It all seemed so silly. 

 

"What is it, Jiminie?" Her father asked, voice soft, so contradictory of his towering height and intimidating face. 

 

Well, here goes nothing. 

 

"How did you — what did you do to win eomma over?" She asked, a little shy. 

 

Anyone who would meet Jimin's father would be scared because of the hard lines on his face and the permanent frown his mouth sported. But Jimin only waited for her dad's response in anticipation, looking up at him with her big, curious eyes just like how she was before when she was little. 

 

Chuckling, Jimin's dad finally turned to her, not even surprised by the question. Jimin always asked the most random questions as a child and when she had learned to read, blurted out the most random facts. 

 

"I didn't," he finally replied, smirking as he looked at his wife. "Your eomma did all the work, sweetheart." 

 

Jimin looked at her dad as if she couldn't believe him but he only nodded at her. "It's true, sweetie." 

 

"That's right, Jiminie," her mother confirmed, wiping her hands dry on the towel. "Appa was too shy to ask me out on a date so I got frustrated and did it myself!" 

 

"Hey!" Jimin's dad faked offense but laughed with his wife in the end, recalling how his wife had sent him a message on his beeper in the middle of his exams. He said the date was like a reward for doing so well in his exam. "Anyway, Jiminie, why do you ask?" 

 

"Is it Minjeong?" Jimin's mom grinned. "It's Minjeong right?" 

 

Jimin's face reddened at the mention of the girl's name.

 

"You should invite her over and I'll help you win her ov

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter