dimsum (and then some)

who would've thought
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It has been a week. 

 

Minjeong hasn't opened Jimin's gift again for a week. After everyone went home, Minjeong chucked the box on her swivel chair and hasn't touched it since. She tried to forget about it, not give it attention but the big white box sat there like it was taunting her. 

 

If it could talk, Minjeong definitely thinks it would keep telling her to open it again. 

 

But she couldn't bring herself to do it. 

 

It was much too overwhelming — to receive something as big as that. The chips alone were a lot because Minjeong knew how difficult it was to buy them. She tried looking for it before and found the shipping to be too much despite it being from Japan only. 

 

But the tickets! God, those tickets — she doesn't think she deserves to even accept something worth more than her cellphone. 

 

What was Jimin unnie thinking? 

 

Minjeong still finds it hard to believe that Jimin spent so much money on her. They're friends, sure, but they weren't close. Minjeong doesn't want to say that the whole thing makes her uncomfortable but she won't lie that it's making her feel guilty. Guilty because now she feels compelled to do something for Jimin. 

 

In short, she feels indebted.

 

And Minjeong doesn't want to feel that way at all because Minjeong is not dumb. She's not oblivious to what Jimin is trying to say based on the gifts alone. Jimin's intentions are loud and clear. 

 

Which is why Minjeong is left in a conundrum. 

 

She really doesn't know what to do.

 

Every time she comes home from work and plops down on her bed, she catches sight of the box and she just groans every time she sees it.

 

Minjeong has talked to Yizhuo about it, too. She wanted some form of validation about what she feels about the whole thing.

 

Because she felt awful and the guilt was gnawing inside her. 

 

"Look, Minjeong, if you don't want to eat the chips, give them to me. I'll eat it!" Minjeong only glared at her friend, hiding the box behind her. "You can also sell the tickets if it makes you feel really bad." 

 

Minjeong groaned, frustrated because she doesn't want to do that! "That's such a move, Yizhuo. I don't want to do that!" 

 

"Alright, in all seriousness though, you don't have to do anything for Jimin unnie just because she gave you this. You know that right?" Yizhuo advised. "You're not obligated to reciprocate and I'm sure Jimin unnie will understand." 

 

Minjeong sighed. "I know that. But at the same time, I really just feel bad, you know? Because I didn't know she would take the shipping thing seriously! I thought we all knew we were joking around!" Minjeong wailed, voice rising in frustration. "Like, I feel like I led her on thinking that I was feeling something for her because I piggybacked on the joke." 

 

"Okay, Minjeong, it's not your fault that Jimin unnie took it seriously." 

 

"But still —"

 

Yizhuo pinched Minjeong's lips in between her thumb and pointer finger, cutting her off. "Just try it out then. Just feel it out and if there's really nothing then you tell Jimin unnie to stop."

 

"I don't want to be unfair." 

 

"Yeah but I don't think Jimin unnie was being fair either. Whether she knows it or not. Just give it a chance." 

 

And while that has been the topic of her mind lately, Minjeong is faced with another: she actually doesn't know if Jimin unnie is all that interested in her. 

 

Gifts and intentions aside, Jimin has done nothing else to actually show her interest. 

 

Which begs the question of: was she just pressured to act on it because their friends were teasing them? 

 

Because after her birthday, Jimin unnie did not talk to her at all. 

 

As a matter of fact, they don't talk ever. The only time they communicate is when they go out with their friends and that's only because Jimin has to pick her up. 

 

And like fate, Minjeong's phone chimes with a text message from Jimin. 

 

Jimin unnie: hi minjeong, are you going later? Do you want me to pick you up? 

 

Minjeong had totally forgotten about their plans. The group wanted to go get dimsum for dinner. Minjeong wasn't able to reply to the group chat earlier. She also just remembered she had a dentist appointment. 

 

Minjeong: not sure unnie

Minjeong: i have a dentist appt and it's far from the dimsum place 

 

Maybe it would be best if she didn't go. Right now, Minjeong doesn't know how to act around Jimin. They're already awkward around each other but with this whole thing, Minjeong feels like it would just get worse. 

 

And Minjeong really doesn't want to feel this way around Jimin. It just isn't fair that she'd entertain her older friend while feeling grossly guilty, indebted, and confused. 

 

Jimin unnie: oh i see

Jimin unnie: i can still pick you up, minjeong i don't mind

 

Minjeong bit her lip. Jimin unnie is way too nice.

 

Minjeong: u sure unnie?

Minjeong: it's on the other side of town 

 

Jimin unnie: yeah just tell me where you're at

 

Minjeong: okay



Minjeong was right. Things between her and Jimin got progressively awkward — not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter