Chapter 5. Cat and mouse

The game of law
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next day I got to work and was the first one there. Lucky me! I have to use this chance while I still have it. I quickly walked over to my desk and began searching the archive to find any additional information. Seems like he has decided to change over to King Cobra. I have never expected him to do something like this but on the other hand, he has always been hungry for money and power. Enjoy it while you still can.

Nana: You are early today! I never expected anyone to arrive here before me. I'm usually always the one that arrives first.

I looked up from my computer when I heard a knock on the door. Nana walked in with a smile on her face. I quickly managed to close all of the relevant windows before she stood by my side.

Jahoon: We have work to do. There are possibly two dangerous killers out in the free. Only by catching them, can the public rest in peace.

Nana: You are really the definition of: the early bird gets the worm. Well, we have to be awake for quite some time today so I will go and get some coffee. Do you want one?

Jahoon: Sure. Just black is fine

Nana: Amazing how you can do that but don't worry, I will get it for you.

Nana winked at me and walked out of the office. I breathed out and was about to continue my search when Yeonhee walked inside. I inhaled sharply as I had to stop my investigation once again.

Yeonhee: Good morning Jahoon! I didn't expect you to arrive this early in the morning!

Jahoon: *Mumble* And neither did I…

Yeonhee: I'm sorry, what did you say?

Jahoon: I don't normally do but when we have such a high profile killer on the loose it's better to start early and catch him so the public can rest assured.

Yeonhee: Now I understand why people respect you a lot. You are cold and tough on the outside but actually really sweet and caring on the inside.

Jahoon: What did you say?

Yeonhee: Nothing! Nothing!

Yeonhee quickly looked away from me and walked over to her desk, where she began working. I shook my head at her and began working myself to find some leads for our case as well as finding a few discreetly for myself. The rest of the girls came to the office one by one. Nana came back with bags of her coffee and snacks for the whole team. After a while, I heard a knock on the door and looked up to see that it was Captain Kwon.

Captain Kwon: How is the investigation going? Do you know that we are the hot topic of the media right now and the worry of the public? That they are worrying about their safety since we haven't caught a possible serial killer on the loose?

Nana: We are doing everything we can right now to ensure the safety of the public. We are turning each and every stone. I promise that we will catch him or her soon.

Captain Kwon: We can all promise, but the important point is whether it's an empty promise or a promise you can fulfill. Also in this line of work, promise means nothing. I need hard evidence, I need it to be done. I need the killer behind bars now!

Jahoon: We will be able to do that if you let us do our job. We know that the public is currently watching us but if you don't let us do our work without disturbance then we won't be able to catch him any sooner.

Captain Kwon: What did you just say?!

Captain Kwon walked close to me and stared or more glared directly into my eyes. I stood my stance with my hands in my pockets and my chest puffed up. I wasn't scared or anything. In fact, I was just speaking the truth. If there aren't any disturbances, you will usually be able to finish your work on time and it's just the same here. I felt the air shift as all of the girls looked at me having a stare-down competition with Captain Kwon. After a few minutes, she backed away and left our office. The girls ran over to me and swarmed themselves around me

Yeonhee: What were you doing?! You could have gotten yourself into trouble!!

Jahoon: I was just speaking the truth. Nothing else.

Nana: But still Jahoon. You shouldn't have said anything like that. Yeonhee is right, you could have gotten yourself into trouble.

Hyejoo: And you definitely have gone on her bad side.

Jahoon: Well that is up to her but again, I was just speaking facts but with you guys gossiping like this just confirm that Captain Kwon's words are right. We should continue and focus on our work so that we can catch the killers.

Everyone: Yes, Ma'am!

Everyone yelled in unison, even Nana. They all returned to their computers and began looking for anything to help our case. I was about to join them when an officer I walked inside our office with a letter and Soojin, the server from Sweet Chick, followed from behind. We all looked at each other confused but didn't say anything.

Nana: What is it that you have there? And what is Miss Seo doing here?

Police officer: We received a letter in the mail addressed to Jahoon and Nana but there is no sign of who the sender is. And Miss Seo came to the station to see you guys.

Soojin: I have something that I would like to talk with you guys about. It's about Mr Cha and the dead body at the back of the bar.

Nana and I looked at each other and nodded. Even though it has only been a few days since we started working with each other, we knew what the other had in mind.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter