What is Marriage?

Contract Couple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the morning, Key woke up by the walking noise inside the room. It was Eunji who was walking in her side of the room; she already took a bath and got ready, now getting a few things from her unorganized and messy side to pack her shoulder bag. Key wonders and can‘t understand why she woke up so early and already got ready.

'What are you doing so early?' Key‘s words made Eunji stop and look at him, "Are you going anywhere? Where?" He asked her but quickly scolded himself inside for asking about her work; usually he doesn't get involved in whatever she does, but today his curiosity couldn‘t stop him from asking her.

“Huh. Today is our competition day," Eunji said, looking at him. Through his expression, Eunji understood that he had forgotten about the competition and only now realized it. ‘He is my sponsor but doesn't know anything about it. What type of person is he?’ She scolded him in her head.

“Ah, I forgot. What time is it?” He asked as he got up from bed.

"Preliminary rounds start at 9 A.M.”

“Oh, have you prepared well?” Eunji nodded her head. "Then okay," he said as he walked to the restroom.

“At least for a name's sake, can't he wish me?” She murmured with an annoyed face. ‘He never cares about others. Ah, why do I think about him on my big day?’ she thought.

Before she could finish her thought, Key showed up again. "Do you want me to drop you? He asked.

Eunji got shocked by his words, ‘Did he read my mind?’ She thought, “No, I'm going with my friends," she said.

“Okay, then do well. All the best." He said and again walked away to carry on his work.

Halmeoni wished and blessed Eunji before she leaves for the competition; she told Eunji that she would ask Key to drop her off, but Eunji said no because she doesn't want to go with him and wants to be with her friends.

In the evening, when Key came back home, even before he opened the door, he could hear the loud laughter of his halmeoni and Eunji. Slowly, he peeped inside the living room to know what they were doing, but no one was there. Key heard the loud laugh coming from Halmeoni‘s room and was quite surprised that Halmeoni was laughing this loud and he had never seen anything like it before.

"Kibum-ah..." Halmeoni called out in an excited tone when Key slowly pepped his head in. Eunji was near her and looked happy. "Our Eunji-yah got selected," Halmeoni said in an excited tone.

Key didn’t show much expression; he just nodded his head and gave a glance at Eunji, "What shall I do for dinner, Halmeoni?" He asked. His words really made Halmeoni feel bad because he was not excited for the news, and she didn’t fail to notice how disappointed Eunji was. So to make the situation better, Halmeoni turned to Eunji, “It's Eunji’s day, so let's celebrate it. Let it be her choice of dinner." She said, "What do you need for dinner, Eunji-yah? She asked Eunji.

"Halmeoni..." She trailed off her words.

"What? Tell me your choice," she encouraged Eunji.

"After every win, I celebrate with my friends, so can I go out with them?" Eunji asked.

Halmeoni got a good idea, “Yeah, you can...” She turned to Key, who was uninterested in their conversation, “Yah, Kibum-ah, take her to her friends. You also go to celebrate with her." She said.

"Aniyo," both Key and Eunji said at the same time.

Halmeoni chuckled at it. "You both should go together. Go and get ready." She finished with a firm tone.

Both were not interested in going together, and Key thought that after dropping Eunji, he could go out with Minho. But his plan didn’t work, as Minho refused to come out and also asked him to spend time with his wife. On the other side, before Eunji could stop her friends, they asked Key to join them. With a lot of hesitation and no way to go from there, he decided to join them.

Key was so surprised that Eunji still looked fine after four bottles of Soju; he has never seen any girl with such a high drinking tolerance. Eunji’s friends thanked Key for his sponsorship, and they also promised him that they would work hard to give all their best for this competition. Eunji’s friends tried hard to make him comfortable by starting conversations, but he was not comfortable as he doesn’t drink with other people other than Minho.

As they were talking, they heard a new voice say, ‘Yah losers...’ Someone from behind came.

A tall person came there with his set of friends. Key didn’t like them as soon as he saw them because of their rugged looks, bad attitude, and cigarette in their hands. They may be new to Key, but not for Eunji and her friends; as soon as they saw them, they all got annoyed faces.

“Yah, losers. Again, a celebration, huh?” That tall guy laughed at Eunji and her friends, but they didn’t reply to him, "This time, where did you sing? Hotel? Party or in the streets?” He laughed at them, and his friends followed him.

From his words, Key understood that Eunji and her friends have done a few performances in small places and events.

“Yah, this time it is big." Park Jae Beom said.

"Where? In the rest room? He said, and his friends started laughing, “Oh, who is he?” He stoped laughing and asked when he saw Key, "A new loser?” He asked, puffed the cigarette smoke on his face, and laughed at him.

Key got coughes and turned away, “you don't like it?” He asked, puffed the cigarette smoke on Key’s face again, and laughed at him.

"Yah..." Eunji reacted in anger. Key was quick to stop her by grabbing her hand.

"You don’t like it?” The guy asked Eunji. She gave a sharp stare as a reply, "But I like it." He smiled and puffed the smoke again on Key.

"Yah..." Eunji again raised her voice. This time also, Key stopped her, and the guy didn’t fail to notice it.

"Are you getting angry?” He asked Eunji.

“Yah, go away from here before she does something." Yang Yoseob said.

"Wae? What will she do?” He asked Yang Yoseob and laughed, “Okay, I did wrong. You can also do the samething to me." He showed the cigarette to Eunji.

Eunji was thinking as she looks at the cigarette, and Key was watching her for her reaction.

"Wae? You can't do it?” The guy asked, and his friends laughed at her.

"I can do it." Eunji quickly grabbed the cigarette from him, but Key stopped her when she was about to keep it in .

"Yah..." Key got the cigarette from Eunji and threw it away. The guy and his friends started laughing at them.

"Wae?" Eunji shouted at Key angrily.

"We are leaving," Key said, and he grabbed Eunji’s hand and took her away. Eunji was struggling to free himself from Key’s hand, but his grip was strong. As those guys were laughing at them and her friends were watching them in shock, without speaking a word to others, Key took Eunji from there.

Even though she was struggling to remove his hand, Key didn’t consider it and pushed her inside the car and locked at the door. After he entered the car, he asked her to wear the seatbelt, but she didn’t listen to him, so he forced her to wear it. There was a deep silence inside the car. As soon as the car stopped at the parking lot, Eunji got down and walked away without waiting for Key.

There was a silence in the room; unusually, Eunji was sticking to her side of the bed. Key also didn’t talk to her or bother to talk to her.

In the morning, also, Eunji looks angry; like usual, she didn’t go out of the room to check on Halmeoni and Key; instead, she was with her mobile.

"Aren’t you hungry?” Key asked her after he finished his cooking. Eunji didn’t reply and didn’t move her eyes from the mobile. Key left the room without talking to her.

"Are you not going to eat?” Key asked her again after a few minutes, when he came back.

“Dae," she replied without looking at him.

"Halmeoni is waiting for you... I don't want her to wait for anybody, so come out," he said in a firm tone. After a moment of thinking, Eunji got down from the bed and went to the restroom after giving him a sharp stare.

"Yah..." Halmeoni called both Eunji and Key after noticing an awkward silence between them. Both looked at her, "What is going on here? She asked.

“Nothing," Key said and continuing to eat.

"Did you both fight?” Halmeoni asked. Both stopped eating and didn’t reply to her, "So you both fought? Both still remained silent. "Whatever may be the problem, now I want you both to talk and resolve it before coming to my room again," she said, and walked to her room.

Eunji continued her eating. Key was looking at her and waiting for her to talk, but she didn’t bother, so Key started the conversation.

"Are you angry at me?” Key asked. Eunji looked at him, "Say me?” He asked.

"What are you thinking in your mind?” Eunji started angrily with her finger pointing at him, "Why did you do that? Did you forget about our con..?" Key grabbed her pointing finger and stopped her before she could finish the word. Eunji was quick enough to understand his action and gave a glance at Halmeoni’s room before freeing her finger from his hand angrily.

"Who are you to me? Are you trying to take advantage on me? I can do whatever I want to do. You...you can’t stop me...I’m not your slave or anything else. Don't...don’t ever interfere in my issues." She said everything that she wanted to tell him in angry. Without replying to her he leaned back in the chair and looking at her calmly, which made Eunji even more angry, “Talk," she said in frustration.

"What are you?” He asked in a calm tone. Eunji was surprised by his calmness. She thought that he would get angry with her and start an argument, but he is calm.

"What?" She asked with hesitation.

"I asked, what are you?” He again repeated the same words with the same calmness on his face, which surprised her a lot. His calm words made her realize that he wanted to talk.

"Wae?" She asked in a low voice.

"Don’t you have standards? Will you do whatever others ask you to do? Don’t you think?” Eunji doesn't know what to reply, "If a pig crosses your way, will you fight and behave like a pig?” He asked.

"Yah..." She raised her voice for his words.

"Don’t raise your voice. It was like that what you did yesterday?" Key said in a loud voice as he lean forward.

"So I should have let them talk?” She asked in a low voice.

“Yah, Eunji, just remember this...you don’t have to do everything others tell you to do to prove yourself." Eunji didn’t reply to him, "Do you know who will win in a dog and leopard running race?” He asked.

She looked at him. “Huh, leopard," she said in a low voice.

Key shook his head, “Wrong." Eunji looked confused. "Leopard won’t even move its finger in the race because it knows that it is better than those dogs, so it won’t race with a dog that is no match for it.” Eunji hung her head low in guilt. “Eunji,” he called her in a soft voice. She looked at him. “You have a good talent, better than those idiots, so you don't have to do such cheap things to prove them. If you want to prove them, then you will be in a place where you can't hear those idiots.” He finished.

"Dae. I understood," Eunji said in a low voice after a moment of silence.

"And one last thing," Eunji now looked at him curiously, "smoking is really bad for a singer, so don’t do it again. Take care of your health," he said and stood up. “Then, for the next celebration, let me take you to a better place than yours," he said and walked to the kitchen.

Eunji got a smile for his last words, "I’m sorry." Eunji's words made Key stop on his way to the kitchen. Key smiled at her and gave a nod of acceptance.

Eunji initially wanted to fight with him because she thought he was controlling her by using the contract. His calm reply and explanation made her drop her idea. His words were new to her; before, she had never dropped a fight, even though it was an unnecessary one, but today Key taught her why she has to avoid such unnecessary fights. Eunji was quite surprised at herself that she had listened to someone else’s words for the first time patiently other than her father, and she also accepted those words.

Everyone’s eyes went wide as soon as they saw Eunji coming in. "I’m sorry, I’m late," Eunji said. But no one cared about it; they were all waiting for her.

“Yah, Eunji, you came," Kim Ji Eun asked.

"Dae," Eunji said with a smile.

"Yah, what happened yesterday?" Kang Min Hyuk asked.

"Did Key-ssi scold you?" Yang Yoseob asked.

"Is he still angry at us?" Park Jae Beom asked.

"Aniyo...he was good," Eunji asked; all looked at each other with a confused expression. "Were you all waiting to ask this?” She asked them.

"Dae...he was so angry yesterday," Yang Yoseob said.

"He spoke calmly and told me to be good," Eunji said; all again looked at each other. “Okay, leave that; let's go for practice," Eunji said to divert the topic.

After an hour of practice, Eunji sat down with his mobile; Kim Ji Eun sat next to him.

"Yah..." She hit her elbow on Eunji’s elbow to get her attention. “Didn't he really scold you? She asked Eunji.

"Dae...he spoke softly and explained me," Eunji replied.

“Aigo, he is so good," she said. Eunji nodded her head with a smile as she looked at her mobile. "Yah..." Kim Ji Eun came near Eunji and asked,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter