Surprise Engagement

Contract Couple
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Minho-ah, I’m fine... I can walk," Halmeoni Oh Soo Young said with a smile.

"Andwae… You should not strain now." Minho said, "Charming Prince, on your service," he said with a smile as she helped Halmeoni sit in a wheelchair. Halmeoni chuckled at his words. Indeed, Minho is a charming prince with an attractive face and smile, and he is a good and kind-hearted person.

"Where is Kibum-ah?" Halmeoni asked after she sat comfortably in the wheelchair.

"He is still talking with the doctor," Minho said as he moves the wheelchair. "Let’s wait in the car," he said.

"Huh…I’m disturbing you both often. I feel like I’m a burden to all."

"Aniyo…" Minho interrupted her in a louder voice, "Can’t I help my favourite halmeoni?" He asked with a smile.

"Yes, you can," Halmeoni smiled at him.

It was Halmeoni’s checkup day, which is once every two months. But this time they came earlier than the appointment day because Halmeoni gets headaches often, feels weak, and drizzles. This made Kim Kibum worry, so as usual, he called up this one and  only friend Choi Minho to accompany him to the hospital.

Kim Kibum aka Key is a successful fashion designer who works with almost all of the top stars in the country. His Halmeoni is his only family he has; when he was eight, he lost both his parents in a car accident. Kibum used to be a happy kid, but when he realized that he didn’t have a proper family like other kids in the school, he decided to be alone and silent and always be sad about his ill fate. He was brought up by his halmeoni as an organized and disciplined person. His halmeoni wants him to be like old Kibum, who was a happy kid, and she tried to encourage him to be like that, but Kibum prefers to be alone. This is because he was hurt by people’s words around him.

‘His bad luck made him alone without any family,’

Other than Halmeoni, the other person in Kibum’s life is his best friend Choi Minho, who has been with him since middle school. Minho’s appa was a famous football coach who most of the time, travels around the country with his team so his eomma also always accompanied him. This makes Minho stay with a caretaker, but he doesn’t like it. When he met Kibum in his new middle school, Minho for his silence, but Kibum doesn’t care about it. Later, from teasing him for his silence, it turned out to be making him happy and always smiling. This happened when he saw Kibum’s patents didn‘t came for him at the Parents-Teacher Meeting at school just like him; when Minho learned that Kibum lost his parents at a young age, he felt guilty for his acts and tried to stick with Kibum to make him happy. Soon they became close friends: Minho always comes to Kibum's place for a sleepover, and he likes Halmeoni’s cooking. They did schooling together and went to the same college where Kibum opted for the fashion design course, and Minho went to the finance department even though his dream is to become a football player, which their parents oppose, so now he also play for local teams along with his work as a passion.

"Let’s wait for Kibum-ah, Minho," Halmeoni said when Minho asked her to get in the car after they came out of the hospital.

"He is still talking with the doctor, Halmeoni," Minho replied.

Before they could talk, they heard a loud noise near the emergency ward. They saw an average-height girl fighting with the staff.

‘Why can’t you admit this boy?’ The girl shouted at the staff by showing the boy, who was on a stretcher next to her, that he was bleeding with a severe injury on his hand.

‘We don't know who he is. Do you know him?’ The staff asked him.

‘I don’t know, but can’t you do first aid?" the girl shouted.

‘Andwae, till we don’t know who he is, we can’t treat him." That girl looked angrily at the staff. ‘What if he is a criminal?’ the staff asked with his hand on his hip.

‘Does he look like a criminal?" the girl pushed the staff. ‘You are the criminal.’ she pushed the staff again. ‘Criminal who doesn’t treat a patient...’ she shouted.

‘Yah…’ The staff raised their hands to beat the girl, but the girl grabbed his hand and twisted it. ‘Are you going to treat him or should I break your hand?’ she asked. With pain, the staff nodded their head and took the boy inside for treatment.

Minho and Halmeoni were looking at the girl who followed the boy inside the hospital.

"Our Kibum-ah should get a wife like her," Minho said as his eyes were still on the girl until she disappeared.

Halmeoni chuckled. "But Kibum-ah never chose such a girl to date," she said.

‘What are you both talking about?’ Both Minho and Halmeoni turned to Kibum’s voice. Kibum is a lean and tall person with a handsome face and blonde hair, while Minho is slightly taller than Kibum and has a different handsome face, which can be said to have flaming charisma.

"Nothing…" Minho shook his head. "Did you finish talking with the doctor?" he asked.

"Dae" Key gave a curt nod.

"What did the doctor say, Kibum-ah?" Halmeoni asked.

"Let's go home now," he replied, helping Halmeoni get into the car.

Before leaving the place, Halmeoni again turned to the emergency ward to take a look at the girl. Luckily, again, that girl came out, but this time a middle-aged woman cried and thanked her as she was holding that girl’s hands. After a quick word with that woman, that girl leaves the place running. A smile was there on Halmeoni’s face until that girl disappeared at the corner for the entrance.

"What did the doctor tell you, Kibum-ah?" Halmeoni asked again after she sat on her bed.

"Nothing... gave me a new set of tablets," Key replied without looking at her.

As it was a checkup day, both Key and Minho took a day off. While Key was cooking lunch, Halmeoni poked Minho as a signal.

"Halmeoni, who is that Ahjussi you were talking with that day?" Minho started the conversation and also spoke a little louder than usual so that Key, who was in the kitchen, would hear it.

"Who?" Halmeoni pretended to think, "Ah, I got it. He is Halabeoji’s friend's son." Halmeoni also replied in a louder voice like Minho.

"Who is it? Lee Kun Hee Ahjussi?" Key asked Halmeoni as he was doing his work in the kitchen. Minho and Halmeoni smiled at each other after successfully grabbing Key’s attention.

"Oh, you know him then?" Minho asked. But Key didn’t reply; it was usual for Key to remain silent to irritate Minho.

"So why did he come to meet you, Halmeoni?" Minho asked.

"Just a short visit..." Minho and Halmeoni smiled at each other. "He was talking about his daughter's name, Lee Dain." Halmoeni looked for Key’s reaction, but he was doing his work in the kitchen without showing them reaction.

"Really?" Minho said to continue the conversation.

"Dae...she finished her studies in business management...But most importantly, she is beautiful," Halmeoni said in an excited tone.

"Oh, really…Kibum-ah likes beauty with brains.” Minho turned to Key, “Yah Kibum-ah…Hear what Halmeoni is saying." Minho called Key. He came out and stood before them with his hands on his hips. Minho and Halmeoni remained silent.

"Yah…halmeoni…" Minho trailed off his words.

"Stop your cheap act, Minho." Key interrupted him and looked at Halmeoni. "I’m not interested in her, and I’m not going for a blind date again," he said in a firm tone and walked to the kitchen to resume his work. Minho and Halmeoni looked at each other with pouty faces as their plan to arrange a date for Kibum failed.

It was usual for Minho and Halmeoni to set up a girl for Key, but he always found a way to escape. As the only grandson, Halmeoni wants Key to find a girl to fall in love with and get married to her, but surprisingly, Key, with his handsome face, wants to be single. Minho and Key get a lot of date offers for their handsome looks, but Key rejects all those offers while Minho goes for it; in the end, Key makes them break up. Minho and Halmeoni always wonder how come Key, who was working in the fashion industry with a lot of female models, doesn’t end up going out with any of them or liking any of them.

Sometimes Minho teases Key, "Are you sure you are straight?" He asks him in a teasing tone, which results in him getting a smack from Key. Minho and Halmeoni waits for his stone heart to melt in love.

Even though Key avoided the talk of dates and marriage, Minho and Halmeoni didn’t stop; they tried every day to set a date for Key. Lunch was fun-filled with Minho’s fun story, and as it was the day off, Minho stayed at Key’s place till dinner.

"Kibum-ah" Halmeoni's touch on his shoulder made him jolt up. After finishing his kitchen work and making Halmeoni go to sleep, Key was sitting with Halmeoni's medical report on the dining table.

"Halmeoni..." Key looked up and tried to move the file aside, but Halmeoni held it on before he did.

"What is it?" Halmeoni reads the file. Key tries to get it from her, but her hold on the file is strong.

"So..." Halmeoni looked up and said, "It's a tumour." Key bit his lower lip and tried to hold on to the tears in his eyes. "Why are you hiding it? You can tell me..." Halmeoni said it nonchalantly and smiled at him.

Key couldn't hold his tears anymore. From the moment the doctor told him about the disease, he had been holding his tears, but now that he saw Halmeoni's smile, he couldn't hold himself back. He immediately hugged her midriff and started crying, just like a kid. How can he accept the truth so easily because she is his only family?

"Kibum-ah..." Halmeoni tried to pull him away to look at him. "Look at me..." She said and forcefully turned his face to look at her, "Don't cry. Death comes to all...” she said and smiled.

"No halmeoni, not for you. That too, not like this." He said that and hugged her.

"Kibum-ah..." Halmeoni called him in a soft tone, and he looked at her. Halmeoni now sat down next to him. "This tumour is just to bring me death." She said and kept her palm on his left cheek.

"No, no, I won’t let it happen... There will be a way to cure it. Maybe not this doctor. Somebody is good at it. I will find someone to cure it, Halmeoni," he said with determined eyes.

"I'm old, Kibum-ah...It is not a matter of facing death now." Halmeoni said.

Before she could finish her sentence, "Andwae..." Key interfered with her, saying, "No, Halmeoni... You should not... You should not die. Till I live, you also should live...How will I live without you? You are my only home," he cried again. This personality of his was not known to the world; only his halmeoni had seen it; she was his only home after his halabeoji died when Key was 12 years old. So, Halmoeni has seen Key’s smile, tears, anger, disappointment, depression, happiness, success, and failure in his life.

After hearing his words, Halmeoni didn’t talk further; she encouraged him that there would be someone to help him and that his prayers would be answered.

In the morning, Minho was walking to the nearby store to grab some lunch for him before going to his work. Suddenly a girl bumped into him; quickly, he apologised to her and helped her grab her things from the ground.

"I'm sorry," the girl said before leaving the place in a hurry.

That was the moment he saw that girl’s face; it was the same girl he saw in the hospital. Like last time, she was in a hurry. After a moment of thought, he went to find her, but she was gone already.

'Why is she always in a hurry?' Minho thought with a smile.

It's Friday night, Minho and Key go out for a drink. As on Sunday, they accompany Halmeoni to the church; they choose Friday night to relax. When they entered their regular spot, it was a little bit more noisy than usual, and some new people came to celebrate.

Minho and Key sat down at the corner of the tent, as Key always likes to be unnoticed and not disturbed. Till now, Key hasn’t shared Halmeoni’s health condition with Minho; after finding a doctor to treat her, he thought to share it with him. It is probably the first thing he has hidden from Minho in all these years

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter