Nightmare - Chan

Play Pretend

The nightmare you had still rattled your core, even as you drove the nearly empty streets in the wee hours of the morning. You couldn’t clearly remember what the dream had been, even though less than ten minutes had passed, but you knew you had one. You could vaguely recall imagines of a dead girl and darkness, looming over you. You could vividly remember the cold, biting fear that forced you awake - body literally shaking from adrenaline as it had been propelled into a state of functioning way before it was ready too. The shrieking of the alarm clock mere seconds later only added to the pounding of your heart and you honestly wished you could stop dreaming. 

It was the third time that week you were awoken before your alarm from a nightmare, making sleep seem almost impossible. Because who would want to go back to sleep after dreams like that. In a way, it was a good thing you had the pleasure (read: torment) of picking up your mom’s boyfriends from work at 4 am. It allowed you to calm down - mostly - and by the time you returned home 45 minutes later, you were feeling tired once more. Yet the moment you stepped foot into your darkroom - illuminated only by your tv playing some random YouTube video - sleep was the furthest thought from your mind as you were greeted with the sight of Chan, sitting crossed-legged on your bed, pillow in his lap. 

His eyes were lidded and it looked like he was dozing and you couldn’t help but giggle at how cute he looked. The noise seemed to rouse him, his sleepy gaze falling over you and he smiled. “You’re back.” You nodded and slipped off your slippers before crawling into bed. Situating yourself, you practically fell into Chan’s open arms, sighing contentedly as your eyes fluttered close. “Missed you.”

“Missed you too.” You whispered softly, smiling. 

“Let’s go back to sleep.” The simple request has you shaking your head quickly and pulling away. For a moment - as you gazed at him - you saw right through him and you struggled to keep a firm grasp on your imagination. A struggle, given how tired your brain was but you were not yet willing to go back to that dreaded darkness and possibly be faced with another nightmare. You didn’t want to suffer through that again alone. You needed Chan. 

His image flickered, much like how light would during a power surge, before solidifying back into the image you had first seen when you got back. “Please no. I don’t want to.” There was fear laced with desperation as you reached out with a shaky hand, grabbing for Chan’s hand. Your fingers skimmed along the back of his hand, tracing the prominent veins there and you were relieved at the smooth warmth under your fingertips. He was real and there and the very familiar feeling of safety and happiness enveloped you. 

“Why baby girl?” His accent was thick - tongue sluggish as he tried to form the proper words but most of it came out as gibberish. Somehow you still managed to understand him and you bit at your bottom lip as you looked away. 

“Had a bad dream.” It was soft whisper, and you were almost afraid Chan hadn’t heard it when he remained silent afterward. Or worse, maybe he had fallen asleep. It’s not like you could blame him, he had been asleep when you left and awake when you got back. You hated that he would always wait up for you when he spent the nights in your bed. He needed sleep as much as you did and you felt guilty for being the reason he lost it. You dared to look up at him, shocked to see his eyes narrowed at you in an intense gaze. You felt shy - small - and you looked away quickly once more. 

He moved, jostling the bed slightly as he grabbed the pillows at the head of the bed. He stacked them carefully at the foot of the bed, moving to lay back against his stack with waiting arms open towards you. “Come here, baby.” He called and you couldn’t help the small smile that crossed your lips as you turned around laid back into his arms, head resting on your pillows. Chan grabbed your blanket, flipping it around and pulling it over your bodies as he cuddled up behind you. One arm slung around your waist while the other rested comfortably underneath you. 

“Now close your eyes. I’ll chase away any bad dreams.” He whispered and you felt so comforted by his words. Coupled with the new position you were laying in, your body was relaxing to the point that your eyelids grew heavy and it was a struggle to keep them open. 

“Channie.” You whispered softly, a giggle leaving you as Chan moved his hand and grabbed yours, lacing your fingers together. 

“Sleep, Y/n.” 

All you could do was nod as your eyes closed and your mind began to drift. You kept Chan in your thoughts and hoped he would chase away any bad dreams that came your way.