Reality - Changbin

Play Pretend

You were absolutely devastated as you ran through your bedroom door. Throwing yourself onto your bed, you ignored the pain of your school bag digging into your side as you grabbed one of your ten pillows and hugged it tightly to your body. The laughter of your classmates still ringing in your ears. You honestly had no idea what you did to incite their wrath, but they had decided that today was the day they were going to tease you about the most stupid things. 

You were quiet and usually withdrawn. You had your small group of friends and you were content with them. You never went out of your way to make new friends or even engage in conversation with the students in your classes. You always thought that was fine, it was just who you were. To others you were socially distant which meant you had never interacted with guys - a fact sadly - and that’s why everyone in the class started to tease you about. You were the inexperienced “” but besides that, you were weird because you were closed off and quiet. So why would any guys ever find you interesting or want to date you? Their favorite comments to make were those that said that the only attention a guy would give to you would be out of pity or a dare. 

It hurt you. Mainly because you didn’t want to think so poorly of yourself but you wouldn’t be surprised. You were pretty bad at socializing but you must have done something write because you had your girlfriends and as far as you knew, they hung out with you because they wanted to and not because they pitied you. But the seed of doubt was now planted and you were so desperately trying to not water it. But what absolutely shattered you and sent you home in tears was the fact that you couldn’t defend yourself. You couldn’t tell them that you had nine boys that liked you and had even kissed a few of them because they weren’t...real. And that’s what broke your heart, knowing that those boys that you grew up with weren’t real. 

The pain of that clenched at your heart tighter and you squeezed your pillow as you sobbed loudly into it. Curling into a ball, you managed to kick your bag from your side and let fall to the floor, the thud drowned out at a particular loud wail you let out as you thought about your future and how lonely it would probably be. You’d be alone all your life - no one would ever love you. 

Lost in your crying, you didn’t notice the other presence until you felt lips pressing soft kisses against the back of your neck. You choked on a sob as you struggled to clear your nose and calm your cries in order to speak properly. “What?”

“Why are you crying, Princess?” Changbin’s raspy voice brought a sense of warmth and comfort to you and you could feel yourself melting back against his touch. But the happiness didn’t last long as the reality of the situation came crashing back down and you started crying once more. Changbin’s arms tightened around your waist and pulled you back against his solid chest, brows furrowed with worry. “Y/n what happened?”

You struggled to get out the words, fumbling over your own words as you told Changbin how the kids at school teased you and hurt your feelings. He was silent as he listened, but occasionally he would give your waist a reassuring squeeze. One hand found its way into your hair, carding the strands slowly and the action calmed you down greatly. At least you weren’t gasping for breath as you talk anymore. 

“I just wish you were real.” As the words fell from your lips, you felt Changbin pulling away and it triggered another gut-wrenching sob from you. Even though that’s what you wished, that didn’t mean you didn’t want him the way he was right now. You didn’t want him to leave! You needed him! “C-Changbin.” You cried out brokenly. 

Changbin scrambled as he sat up and gathered you into his arms, pulling you into his lap. He guided your head to rest on his shoulder as the other your side and thigh gently, his body rocking lightly as he hushed you. “I’m right here baby.” He whispered, a low hum leaving him. “Can you feel me?” You have a shaky nod, fingers gripping at his shirt tightly, afraid that at any moment he would disappear like he had done many times before. “Then I am real, Y/n. I’m real to you and that’s all that matters.”

“B-but the other’s-“ Changbin pressed a finger to your lips. Pulling back, you stared up at him with red, watery eyes and was greeted with such soft eyes and a gentle smile. “They can’t see you.”

“People can’t see things that they aren’t willing to see.” He whispered, his smile widening. “You’ve seen us since you were young and you always will.” The reassurance in his voice was all you needed to hear to wipe away any doubt you had. It made you feel better. Because you could feel them, you could see them and that really was all that matters. They were real to you, your escape and your safe place and you were so thankful to have them. 

“I love you.”

“I love you too, Princess.”