Field Trip - Jeongin

Play Pretend

You giggled as you looked at Jeongin. He was your best friend and partner in crime - the reason your mom still forbids you from fixing yourself breakfast in the morning before school. He weaved himself through the various rows of desks, heading to the door with his hand waving to you. You wanted to follow, but you knew you couldn’t, you were in class. But one look towards the teacher and you found the older woman was fast asleep at her desk. But even with her asleep, one of four classmates might rat you out for leaving during lessons. Yet the silence in the room is all that greets you as you become very aware you are the only other person there. 

Looking back to Jeongin, he’s already out of the room and waiting for you, his smile never faltering. Returning it, you get up and grab your bag, jogging out of the room and over to him. “We’re gonna get into so much trouble.” You giggled and Jeongin laughed a bit too loudly. You brought your hand up, shushing him lightly as you glanced back into the classroom. Your teacher was still asleep thankfully. 

“Sorry. Come on! Let’s go!” Jeongin grabbed your hand and pulled you with him as he started walking. The walls of the school distorted and warped until they melted away completely and you found yourself inside one of your favorite amusement parks. You had never gone without your parents before and the thought sent a rush of excitement through you. All the fun you could have with Jeongin with no parental supervision was going to be amazing!

“What should we go on first?” You asked, clutching his hand tightly as you walked through the crowds of people, taking in the different stalls of food and merchandise you can buy. Screams of riders from the various rollercoasters nearly drowned out your voice as the question hung in the air between you two. 

“Mmm, this one?” Jeongin pointed to a rollercoaster that had several loops and you could feel your stomach dropping. It’s not that you didn’t like rollercoasters, it’s just that you had this fear of heights and the mere sight of the coaster scared you. But you knew if you got in line and onto the ride, your fear would slowly go away. It was strange how it worked that way, but you never questioned it. It was peace of mind, and with it, you nodded. Lacing your fingers with Jeongin, you guided him to the entrance of the coaster and made your way into the line. The queue was short, lacking any sort of fancy displays or lineup like other coasters had (which usually ended up taking you five minutes to walk through).

There were only five people ahead of you, and the wait wasn’t that long before you were climbing into the middle row of seats. Pulling down the coaster harness and locking it in place, you turned to look at Jeongin as best you could over the thick plastic holster. You could see his smiling face staring back at you and you giggled, wiggling in your seat to get comfy as the ride began. Straight and to the point, the coaster began its upwards ascent, teetering at the top for only a second before forward momentum and gravity took over and you came plummeting downwards, your screams the only noise you could hear. 

“Y/n.” You jerk at the sound of your teacher, the rollercoaster falling away into obscurity as you came back to reality. Quickly you looked away from the door of the classroom to face the front. She was standing there, in front of your desk with a frown on her face and you could feel your cheeks heating up in embarrassment. “Sweetheart, it’s time for lunch. Gather your things and go.” Her voice was gentle, and you were glad she wasn’t scolding you for daydreaming in class. Nodding, you quickly packed your notebook into your Pink Hello Kitty backpack and stood. 

“Have a good day, Y/n.” She called as you headed for the door. Stopping, you looked back at her and smiled. 

“You too, Ms.” Polite as always, you quickly exit the classroom and make a beeline for the cafeteria in hopes of meeting up with your friends. You pass by Jeongin in the process, his laughter filling the nearly empty hallways. Glancing back over your shoulder, you send him a playful glare and a mental promise that once you got home and got your homework done, he was going to be in so much trouble.