FIVE

Set Me Free

“How are you?” Mina asked.

 

They found themselves a table by the window overlooking the street. Nayeon liked a good view when enjoying her drink.

 

“Been alright. I’m back into racing.”

 

“That’s great. Good to know you’re doing something you love.” Mina continued. “And something you’re good at.”

 

Nayeon’s nose wrinkled at the compliment. “What about you?”

 

“I’m back to filming and I wanna film the race.” Mina leaned forward, resting her chin on folded hands. “Would that be okay?”

 

“Filming our race?”

 

“Yeah. I thought I could make a documentary on it. Make us all more famous than we already are.” Mina joked with a light laugh.

 

“Seriously? I mean sure. The girls would love that. You know they would.” Nayeon took a long sip of her drink, eyeing Mina’s outfit again.

 

Mina always had excellent fashion taste.

 

The black leather jacket was a killer. So were the pants she was wearing today. What really tugged Nayeon’s heart strings was Mina’s long dark curly hair. It was something she always loved about the quiet girl.

 

“Think Jihyo will be okay if I come along to the next race?”

 

“They haven’t seen you for ages after you left, Mina. They would love to see you again.” Nayeon says gently, placing her hand over Mina’s.

 

They sat there quietly for a long moment, hands touching and appreciating the silent warmth of each other as they always did. Then Nayeon pulled away, taking up her drink.

 

Mina mirrored Nayeon, taking another sip without glancing up. “I’m sorry I left. It was just overwhelming. You and everyone. The whole circle. It was not my kind of thing.”

 

“It’s okay. We never talked about it. I knew you were feeling… pressured by us at some point to fit in.” Nayeon shared. “And it ate at me when I couldn’t assure you that you were doing fine.”

 

“Nayeon-”

 

“I mean it.”

 

“I’m glad I left though. It was the only way I could properly process my feelings.”

 

“I’m glad you figured it out.” Nayeon nodded, gazing at Mina in the eyes. She realized what she saw in Mina’s eyes now was a different sense of confidence she was carrying. A new strength she had gained.

 

“It’s all good now.” Mina changed the topic after. “So, any plans for today?”

 

“There’s this girl.” Nayeon began and she noticed the change in Mina’s gaze. “I was supposed to bring her car to her after dinner.”

 

“A girl hmm?” Mina teased.

 

“We met on the side of the road. Her engine needed a jump start but I didn’t have a cable.” Nayeon grinned.

 

“I bet she’s pretty.”

 

“Mina.”

 

“Don’t deny it. I know you, Nayeon.” Mina chuckled and then shrugged. “Anyway, when are you meeting the girls? I’ll come along too.”

 

“Yeah sure, come along. Did you change your number?” Nayeon flipped out her phone.

 

Mina made no movement. She casted a meaningful glance at the girl scrolling through her phone. “It’s… the same number as always, Nayeon.”

 

Nayeon nodded, not looking up. “Okay, well I changed mine. Let me send you a text.”