ONE

Set Me Free

 

Desires are the strangest things ever.

 

Nayeon was cruising along a dusty lone road on a breezy morning and at that moment she could not choose which was more attractive. The white Chevrolet clinging to the edge of the burning tarmac or the girl leaning against the car.

 

She decided to pull over. “Hey.”

 

Surprised eyes looked up. “Hi.”

 

“Car trouble?” She squinted in the Sun as she peered out of the winded down window.

 

“Yes!” The girl gently pushed off her car and moved closer, bending down a little. “Do you have a cable to jump start the engine? Someone’s coming but they can only reach in an hour or two. I can’t really wait though.”

 

Nayeon was already stepping out of her car. “Sorry, I don’t have the cable with me right now.”

 

“It’s just I’m in kind of a big rush.”

 

“Yeah?” Nayeon tucked a loose strand of hair behind a ear. She stooped a little to take a closer look at the driver seat of the Chevrolet. She gave a low whistle. “This is one gorgeous car.”

 

“I’d say the same for yours.” The girl grinned despite the situation. “I have a friend who’s into McLarens. She’ll definitely steal yours.”

 

Nayeon found herself chuckling. “The name’s Nayeon. It’s nice to meet you.”

 

“Sana.” The girl extended a hand. She gave Nayeon’s hand a squeeze and held on for a couple seconds longer before letting go. “You sure are the Sunshine to my current demise.”

 

“Tell you what.” Nayeon immediately suggested. “I’ll take you wherever you need to go. You leave your car here. I’ll get someone to pick it up for you right now.”

 

“Really?”

 

Nayeon felt herself smiling at the slight whine in the other’s voice. “Yeah. Don’t worry about it.” She dialed a contact on her phone. “Wanna wait in the car? I won’t take too long.”

 

“Sure.” Sana gladly steps out of the Sun and into the cozy ambience of Nayeon’s car. She leaned back into the seat, eyes fixed on the girl outside on the phone. Thoughts ran through her head.