Chapter [7] : The fight for the top before the fall.

Hogwarts : The Magical Tournament

 

Hogwarts’ dark and gloomy castle can be seen from the Hogwarts Express, the journey back from the winter break is almost over, and most students have already changed into their uniform, ready to continue their year at the Wizard School of Magic. Excitement from meeting again with fellow classmates and telling each other all about the holidays is filling the train.

Minnie, already in her Ravenclaw uniform, is sharing cauldron cakes with Yuqi. The redhead had bumped into her as she was looking for an empty comportment. She dragged Minnie into her and Soyeon’s compartment; obviously, Soojin joined the party as well. The quiet Slytherin usually likes to spend the trip silently looking at the view, but Yuqi made it impossible for her.

Yuqi and Minnie seem as close as ever, they easily start to joke around and buy a bunch of sweets from the Honeydukes trail that they shared with Soyeon and Soojin. The two new friends are currently playing a game Minnie learned from Soojin’s younger sisters during the holidays. Soyeon quietly watches not feeling like joining them but still curious to know what it is all about.

Minnie’s personality is very surprising, to say the least. The Ravenclaw is rather known for her serious attitude, and playful side in most situations, but it always feels quite controlled. It can be explained by her parents repeating to her, again and again, to not dirty their family name; so Minnie always does her best to be the perfect child her parents want her to be. She stays away from trouble and brings home good grades. Her only slip is her friendship with Soojin. Her parent did not approve of it at the beginning, but they eventually came to understand that the friendly academic rivalry between the two is actually a good thing.

After all, Minnie is always a step behind Soojin when it comes to grades. Soojin is always better than her at everything she tries. The Slytherin is good at Quidditch, good at Wizard Chess, good in every subject, and Mr. Poe’s favorite student. All their teachers like her a lot, despite her burning outbursts of anger. Minnie can see it as well, the ravaging fire inside Soojin that can come out at any trigger; but Minnie has never managed to understand why.

The Magic Tournament is for Minnie a blessing; for once she sees herself surpassing Soojin. It is rare, and she can’t wait for the next challenge to confront once again her long-term rival. Yuqi, who is also one of the champions and for which Minnie has developed a certain liking, is difficult to consider a worthy opponent. The Gryffindor is one year younger than her, and despite her excellent understanding of magic, her skills are far to match hers or Soojin's.

« Soojin and I will go change. »

Minnie nods at the two girls leaving the compartment for the bathroom. She sees through the window Yuqi linking her arm with Soojin while walking with an ever-happy bounce in her steps. To be honest, it still impresses her how easily Yuqi managed to befriend Soojin so easily.

 


 

« So… I got your gift. »

« Did you like it? »

« Yes! It was a very interesting gift. Almost as interesting as Shuhua’s. »

« Oh… What did she offer you? »

Soojin continues to adjust her skirt while pushing the shirt inside the waistline. Yuqi on her side is busy buttoning her shirt correctly; she doesn’t realize how interested Soojin suddenly is in her answer.

« Shuhua got me a microphone. I had never seen such a thing before. You see, it is an object that can project your voice louder! Without any magic! How amazing, right? »

Soojin only nods, not very sure what Yuqi is exactly describing to her. The two of them have always lived in the Wizard world since birth, and the Muggle world is quite the enigma in so many ways. Shuhua is the only one around them that is connected to it and they always find it extra exciting when the younger girl shows them anything coming from the Muggle technology.

« So… My gift only comes second. »

« Yep! It is a good spot second. What about you? Did you like my gift? I thought a lot about what I should get you! »

Yuqi watches Soojin expectantly, big brown eyes full of excitement. Soojin finishes tying her silver and green tie around her neck. She checks herself in the mirror and runs a hand through her short and messy hair before turning to the Gryffindor.

« It was… unique. »

Yuqi got Soojin a cube of stone. Just a cube of stone. Soojin was confused, to say the least. Despite her best efforts, she hasn't managed to understand the hidden meaning of the gesture.

« You will figure it out! »

« … I have to do something with it? »

« Hum… Well… Yeah, something like that. »

Yuqi gives Soojin a mysterious smile before turning around to get her tie. Her vague answer isn't helping Soojin in any way.

« Could you help me tie it? »

« You don’t know how? »

Soojin looks at Yuqi with disbelief as the girl shakes her head. She explains that she never learned how to and that usually Soyeon does it for her. Soojin’s eyes shine with amusement at the image of the all-mighty Gryffindor gently tying Yuqi’s tie every morning.

Soojin makes a knot before pulling on the tail and adjusting it around the redhead's neck. Out of habit she even arranges the collar of her shirt and puts a lock of hair behind her ear. Yuqi finds it fascinating how careful Soojin can be when she cares. A few months ago, she would have never thought of the Slytherin girl that way – so attentive to the people around her.

The duo goes back to their compartment where they find Soyeon and Minnie chatting together. The surprising part about this scene is Soyeon talking rather animately to Minnie; Yuqi knows the small girl has a hard time warming up to new people – even when they are Yuqi’s friends, she will cling to Shuhua if the girl is around or stay quiet while observing.

 


 

Minnie believes this is the most interesting ride to Hogwarts she has ever experienced. She usually spends her time chatting with fellow Ravenclaw, with Soojin silently seated next to her. Or sometimes Soojin and her chat a bit, but the Slytherin doesn’t talk much when she doesn’t feel like it; which can be quite frustrating, but Minnie has come to learn to understand her friend and that the girl won’t change just because she wants her to change.

So for her, this ride is quite the experience. As a whole, Yuqi is quite the experience. The Gryffindor is as lively as her reputation and proves herself to be great entertainment in any situation. Soyeon, on the other hand, is still an enigma for Minnie. An enigma that has had Minnie's interest for a while now. While she has never been interested in anyone – except Soojin – she has been aware of Soyeon for the past years. It is almost impossible not to notice the small Gryffindor, captain of the Quidditch team, and professional troublemaker.

Minnie has witnessed it more times than she can actually remember. Out of her head, there is the time Soyeon sneaked into Ravenclaw’s Tower the night before a game to steal Ravenclaw’s Seeker's lucky socks. The time Soyeon got locked into a cupboard in the Potion classroom for a whole morning and Minnie found her by chance as she was searching for another cauldron. Or the crazy time Soyeon jumped into the freezing Great Lake to get her wand that she had mistakenly dropped in it. But the most memorable is the time Soyeon almost crashed herself at Minnie’s feet after jumping from the second floor to escape Mrs. Vera calling her name; Minnie had managed to throw a spell before the girl could meet with the floor.

Yet, when Soyeon is quiet and relaxed, she looks more adorable than anything; making it difficult to believe she is Mrs. Vera’s biggest nightmare. Minnie knows to not judge a book by its cover, especially as a wizard – things are rarely as they seem.

 


 

The first night back in the Gryffindor Tower is animated; especially in one room where three friends are seeing each other again after two weeks apart. Soyeon is a bit jealous of how easy it is for Yuqi to express how she is feeling; the girl has been nonstop hugging Shuhua and telling her how much she missed her. Soyeon only smiled at Shuhua when she saw her, but the girl seems to have missed her more than usual as she is reluctant to let go of Soyeon once she got to hug her.

The three Gryffindors are currently sitting together on their covers and pillows floor while exchanging about their holidays. Yuqi is very excited and has a whole bag of stories to tell them as she spent the break between London and Beijing with her parents. Soyeon lets them know of her brother's whereabouts, while Shuhua tells them about her time with Miyeon.

Miyeon and her talked a lot the day before everyone came back to Hogwarts. Their time together has been beautiful. After Christmas and after Shuhua decided to change their relationship from friendship to more, Miyeon stopped holding back. Shuhua discovered the amount of love the girl has for her. She already knew Miyeon liked her a bit more than a friend, and she did like Miyeon a bit differently than Yuqi or Soyeon, but unlike Miyeon she never tried to find out much about it.

Shuhua never has been one to ask herself a thousand questions about relationships. Things are simple in her world, and even if things with Miyeon have grown ambiguous through the years as they both grew older, she never thought about the possibility of their friendship evolving. The reality of where they stand now is still very fresh to Shuhua to the point that she isn't sure it is real. But there is one thing she is sure of: she wants to explore more of this with Miyeon.

Miyeon on the other hand is sure that she likes Shuhua with all of her heart and she is ready to give everything to the younger girl. There is nothing more important than Shuhua, and while she tried to control her heart when they were only friends, she no longer does now that they crossed the line. She looks at Shuhua with stars in her eyes, makes her whole day around the girl, and every chance she gets to leave a sweet kiss on the pink lips she leans in.

Shuhua finds this version of Miyeon thrilling. Everything she experiences with the older girl is bigger than it usually is. She already loved to do everything together with Miyeon, but she loves it even more now. But it is when she sleeps in the girl’s arms that she feels the best - when everything is Miyeon around her. And this is what she misses right now as she is stuck between Yuqi and Soyeon.

 


 

« Where are you going? »

« Me? »

« Yes. You, Shuhua. You are the one I am looking at. »

« Ah. Miyeon and I have… something to do together… »

Shuhua chuckles awkwardly before quickly escaping the Great Hall where she has been studying with Yuqi and other Gryffindors. She knows her excuse is weak, but those past few days she has been running out of excuses to tell her friends about her whereabouts. She notices how it annoys them when she suddenly stands up and leaves with little to no explanation. Soyeon asked her if there is something she didn’t tell them, but Shuhua answered everything was fine.

The small Gryffindor asked again when they were only the two of them if things had changed between Miyeon and her or Soojin and her following the Ball. Shuhua told her Miyeon and her talked it out during the holidays and they have decided to stay friends – a lie. As for Soojin, she answered that they didn’t talk it out, that she has been so busy lately that she didn’t find the time– another lie.

Shuhua is busy. Yes. Busy sneaking out every time she gets to meet with Miyeon. They have their usual meeting spots - before getting together. And their new ones, even more secret. Shuhua goes through the trophy's room and enters the secret passage only known by a few to reach the fourth floor quicker. From there she continues her way to the sixth floor to gain the East Wing where a hand suddenly grabs her arm and brings her behind one of the huge suits of armor.

« There is a Prefect walking around. Quiet. »

Shuhua is pressed against Miyeon, the arms of the girl securely around her waist as they are peaking from behind the armor. A Ravenclaw Prefect is walking toward the end of the hall where Shuhua just came from before disappearing around the corner. Shuhua turns in the arms of Miyeon to look at the girl.

« Yuqi wouldn’t let me go. »

« Do you think she knows something? »

Shuhua thinks for a second, but knowing her friend, it is most unlikely; if she had known anything she would have told Shuhua about it. The redhead is incapable of keeping a secret. Shuhua shakes her head for an answer. Miyeon smiles, and she puts a kiss on Shuhua’s forehead – it is easy as she is a bit taller than the younger girl.

« I missed you, today. »

« I didn’t see you at lunch. »

Shuhua bites her bottom lip before answering. She spent her whole lunch with the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. It is well known among her friends that she has never managed to perform well in this class, and since she is passing her O.W.L.s this year, the teacher has been striker with her, keeping her after class until she masters the needed spells. She even comes during the weekends, and she absolutely hates it. Miyeon did propose to teach her, and so did Yuqi and Soyeon. Except none of them managed to get much out of the girl.

« Poor you. »

Shuhua looks at the Hufflepuff with puppy eyes and pouting lips, waiting for the well-deserved sweet kiss she knows Miyeon will give her. The girl lets out a chuckle at Shuhua’s attitude before connecting their lips. As always, Shuhua feels excitement running through her body. She moves her lips against Miyeon’s, wanting more from the kiss. Miyeon opens her lips and Shuhua takes the opportunity to slip her tongue inside.

The Gryffindor is always the most excited of the two as everything is new to her. After their first kiss and their talk, Miyeon understood Shuhua needed to be reassured a lot to completely open herself. Even if they have been friends for years, changing the boundaries of their relationship is a huge step for both of them, especially Shuhua. This is her first time experiencing this new territory; Miyeon guides her the best she can, having been in already a few relationships even if they were only summer things. Being with Shuhua is different in a good way - maybe because she has been yearning for it for a long time.

Miyeon feels Shuhua wrapping her arms around her waist to bring her closer. They pull away from the kiss to breathe, and Miyeon takes the opportunity to kiss Shuhua’s cheek, she leaves a few kisses before aiming for her jaw, she hears soft giggles near her ear, and she continues lower until she reaches the girl’s neck. There, she leaves butterfly-like kisses knowing it makes the girl shiver, Shuhua anchors herself by grasping Miyeon’s waist harder. She continues her trail of kisses, smirking as she can feel the goosebumps on the peach-smelling skin.

« You are shivering. Are you cold? »

Shuhua chuckles at Miyeon’s teasing tone. They look into each other eyes, smiling wildly, feeling happy to be only the two of them. Shuhua’s dark brown eyes dive into the soft brown ones of Miyeon; the Hufflepuff eyes have always been so beautiful to look at, a soft brown coated with sweetness, Shuhua feels safe with the girl.

« Are you still coming over tonight? »

Shuhua thinks for a moment. While Yuqi has been rather busy stressing and worrying about the upcoming second challenge of the tournament, Soyeon on the other hand may have become suspicious of Shuhua’s whereabouts. The younger girl has been leaving her dorm almost every night to sleep in Miyeon’s bed; it is a miracle that she still hasn’t been caught.

« I think Soyeon might be suspicious of something. »

« Would it be a big deal if she knew about us? »

Shuhua sighs, she leans against the wall, her fingers playing with the waistline of Miyeon’s skirt. She knows Soyeon wouldn’t make a big deal out of it, but she would totally tell Yuqi about it and Yuqi would make a big deal out of it. Yuqi thinks of herself as one of Shuhua’s bodyguards, even if she will never admit it. She often complains Soyeon is being too much with the younger girl, but the redhead can be even worse than her. Shuhua would like it if her friend didn’t look after her as if she is some kind of weak being.

« She would tell Yuqi. »

« And Yuqi would make a big deal. I know. »

Miyeon gently caresses Shuhua’s cheek. They already had this discussion and she already told Shuhua she is okay with any decision of the girl as long as she is comfortable. And Shuhua told Miyeon she was more comfortable having their relationship a secret between only the two of them for the moment. The truth is, she might be a little afraid of the potential reaction of some people, those people being Miyeon’s fan club. She is well aware she can be an easy target because of her status already, and having people jealous of her, spying on her, or asking questions about her relationship with Miyeon would not make her life any easier.

« I understand, and I am fine with it. Don’t worry so much about it. It is okay if you don’t come tonight. Okay? »

Miyeon puts a kiss on Shuhua’s nose before going for her lips again.

 


 

« Maybe. And I am stressing the maybe. Maybe you should not drink more coffee. »

Yuqi throws a dark look in direction of Soyeon who immediately puts both of her hands up as if Yuqi could actually kill her if she isn’t more careful. Shuhua who has been even more careful and has decided to seat next to Soyeon pulls the small Gryffindor against her for protection.

The Gryffindor champion has been acting quite aggressively those past few days. Actually ever since she got the news that the second task will be held on one of the empty fields around the school. She got no other explanation from the Headmaster and Mrs. Vera prohibited her from visiting her office. Soyeon and Shuhua have even been avoiding talking about the tournament with the redhead, too scared of her potential reaction.

Unlike Soyeon who manages her stress with physical activities, Yuqi doesn’t manage her stress. Soyeon did try to initiate one of those moments with Yuqi without much success and she has been too scared to try again ever since. Shuhua on her end has stopped her reviewing session with Yuqi in the Great Hall as the girl would aggressively flip the pages of her books and broke her plum twice in the span of one hour.

Now that the day of the second challenge has come, it somehow is even worse. Yuqi is wearing her uniform, with the cloak on, fully in golden yellow and red, and there is a safe space between Yuqi and every other Gryffindor student at the table, clearly showing the current mental stage of the champion: in a need of a space or she will rip someone’s throat.

« I am scared. »

« Don’t worry, the task is in two hours. Our nightmare will be over. »

Soyeon pats Shuhua’s head while side-eyeing the redhead on her left who just crushed her toast in her hand. Really, Yuqi should be kept away from more coffee, but she doesn’t want to risk her life.

 


 

« Hi. »

« Oh. Hi. Soojin. What… are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to prepare for the task? »

Shuhua bits her bottom lip, awkwardly looking around only for her gaze to fall back on Soojin. The Slytherin is wearing her uniform, cloak and all, in the colors of Slytherin. She looks as usual rather relaxed about the upcoming challenge. Unlike Yuqi, it seems as if the tournament is more of a distraction to her than a serious competition. Or maybe the Slytherin is so sure of herself she doesn't feel the need to worry.

« I wanted to talk to you. But… you seemed to have been avoiding me ever since the break… »

« I… No. Not at all. I have been busy. »

Shuhua is only saying half of the truth. On top of being busy, she has been avoiding Soojin; no longer hanging out in the Quad, and always changing direction when she notices Soojin near her.

« Well. None of us is busy right now. So… How have you been doing? »

« Good. Good, what about you? »

« Well… I… Good. If we take out the upcoming challenge. Kinda excited to be honest. »

Soojin lets out a shy chuckle. While the tournament flies above her head, talking to Shuhua always seems to make her nervous. Especially knowing they haven't been talking ever since the Ball. She doesn't know where they stand with each other, and to be honest, she is too scared to ask.

« That’s good. »

« Will you be cheering for me? »

Shuhua decides to finally look at Soojin. Her green eyes are hopeful even if they seem paler than usual, but maybe it is just the light reflecting in them. Shuhua doesn't know how to say no to the girl. There is something about those gorgeous eyes of hers that is hard to resist. She nods a weak yes that Soojin seems to appreciate.

« I… I have to go. Soyeon and Miyeon are waiting for me. »

« Can I just… »

Soojin trails off at the end of her sentence, deciding to act rather than ask for permission. She leans down and puts a quick kiss on Shuhua's pink lips. She smiles shyly, Shuhua swears she saw a dimple on her cheek, and before she can say anything, Soojin walks back toward the castle.

« What the- Oh God. »

Shuhua touches her lips with the tips of her fingers where Soojin’s lips were just a second ago. She doesn't register how it all happened so fast. She didn't even have the time to push Soojin away. She stood there and said nothing as Soojin kissed her. Again.

« Shu! I have been looking for you! Come on. Miyeon is waiting for us in the bleachers already. »

Shuhua takes Soyeon's hand, and they quickly walk through the ground floor toward a door leading directly to the open field in which the second task will take place. Soyeon walks fast for someone of her height and Shuhua has to jog a little to be able to keep up the pace. They reach the bleachers in less than ten minutes. Miyeon immediately waves their way when she sees the two Gryffindors looking for her from the stairs.

Since Miyeon is a Hufflepuff, she has access to the best view to be able to judge the performances of the champions. According to the judges, Minnie is currently leading, followed by Soojin, and Yuqi comes. But the tournament is far from being over, and today the second task will test the three champions once again.

 


 

Miyeon naturally takes Shuhua’s hand in hers and intertwines their fingers. Soyeon is sitting on Shuhua's other side, she is searching for the two pairs of binoculars she remembers having put in her pockets before leaving her room.  She finally finds them and gives one pair to Shuhua. She notices the two girls holding hands but it isn’t anything out of the ordinary.

Shuhua plays with the binoculars in her hand, but her mind is reliving, again and again, the scene with Soojin. She doesn't know if she has to tell Miyeon about it, she hasn't even told the girl about the Ball yet. And frankly, it isn't a conversation she wants to have.

« Minnie talked to me this morning. She seemed very sure of herself. How was Yuqi? »

Shuhua is thankful to be put out of her mind.

« Stressed. »

« Tensed. »

Miyeon chuckles at the way the two Gryffindors describe their friend. She rubs Shuhua’s hand with her thumb, feeling some kind of nervousness in the hold of the younger girl. It seems to work as Shuhua squeezes her hand once in response.

Miyeon’s gaze is focused on the open field in front of them; there is nothing but endless grass, and no one has any idea of what the challenge will be about. There are many rumors about it, but all of them are crazy theories from students.

« Oh! The Headmaster is here. It is going to start soon, then. »

Miyeon pulls Shuhua closer to her as they listen to the Headmaster’s speech explaining the upcoming challenge. She wraps her arm around Shuhua's waist and leaves a kiss on her temple.

This time around, Gryffindor's Head of House, Mrs. Vera has designed the task, and it will be as equally dangerous as the previous one. Mrs. Vera comes to the center of the open field and puts down something impossible to identify from the bleachers on the grass before stepping away. On the count of three and with the help of two other teachers, she points her wand in direction of the center of the field and the teachers start to work their magic.

Shuhua can’t help the stunned expression on her face as she sees the previously tiny object getting bigger and bigger until it becomes so big that it actually reaches above the cloud making its summit impossible to see from the bleachers.

« What is this? »

« The Old Lady Volcano. »

« What does that mean? »

Shuhua looks at Miyeon and Soyeon, waiting for one of the two girls to tell her more about it. Miyeon who has always lived in the wizarding world knows more of the subtleties and specifics of it, but Soyeon’s knowledge of the History of Magic has always fascinated Shuhua; even if the girl often says that she is only interested in Quidditch.

« Volcanoes are magical entities. Not all of them, but some. They are more powerful, and so more dangerous. The Old Lady Volcano is known among wizards for its devastating powers when erupting, capable of explosions as ravaging as some weapons created by some of the most powerful wizards. »

« … Yuqi... Will Yuqi be okay? »

« I doubt it to be the real Old Lady Volcano. Mrs. Vera wouldn’t, not with the audience being this close. »

Shuhua nods, not reassured at all by Miyeon and Soyeon’s explanations. She reaches for Soyeon’s hand, clearly worried for her friend out there. Mr. Bancroft explains the three champions will have to use their skills and knowledge to escalate the volcano until they reach the top. The first one to do so wins the task.

« They can just decide to reduce the size of the volcano. »

Soyeon rolls her eyes at the comment of one of the Hufflepuffs seated behind her. If it needs three adult wizards to put the volcano back to its original size then it isn’t teenagers who will manage to do such a thing.

The small Gryffindor’s eyes aren’t leaving the volcano. If she is being honest with herself, she worries for Yuqi as well. Not because she doesn’t believe in her friend, but because the volcano can be dangerous. She is sure there are deadly traps on the ascension to the top, and she hopes Yuqi will successfully get past all of them. She searches for the three champions as she hear cheering coming from the bleachers and finally she spots them.

 


The volcano is a surprise. Yuqi doesn’t even hear the cheering, she only sees the immense volcano standing in front of her on the previously empty field. She takes a look at Minnie on her left who spin her wand between her fingers before properly anchoring herself in the floor. Soojin on her right seems as relaxed as ever, her wand still in the scabbard around her thigh. Yuqi wonder how the two manages the overwhelming stress and pressure of the tournament. She feels small, weak and powerless.

The start of the challenge takes Yuqi by surprise, she only realizes when she sees Minnie and Soojin getting ride of their cloak in an identical gesture before running in direction of the volcano. The goal is simple: to be the first to reach the top. No other rule.

Yuqi gets ride of her cloak as well, she steps closer to the volcano and immediately feels the overwhelming burning air getting to her. It is almost burning her nostrils, she has to take a few breath to get used to the sensation. While doing so she scans the paths ahed of her, one is going through a vegetation similar to a jungle, another is leading to a cliff which seems impossible to climb, another seems to go down rather than toward the top, and the last one seems to circle the volcano until reaching the top.

Yuqi gives a look at the top of the volcano, but it is hidden by the many clouds which suddenly appeared with the volcano on the previously clear sky. Using an Ascendio to reach the top is more dangerous than clever, as she doesn’t know what awaits her there. Yuqi decides to take the long road, the one going around the volcano as she believes it might be the safest bet right now. She runs, feelings the many pebbles of the dusty path rolling under her boots.

The temperature turns into a veritable bother the longer she runs and the higher she gets. She feels sweat already rolling down her neck, and in annoyed move as she can’t seem to get used to the thick hotness, she gets ride of her shirt finding herself only in her sport bra not even ten minutes into the task.

« Bloody Mrs. Vera. »

Yuqi continues to run up the path, the more she runs the harder it is to breath, and soon she is forged to take another break. Her eyes scan the area around her, the dust of the path are burning her eyes, the blazing air is clouding her lungs and soon she is on her knees gasping for help.

She needs something, anything to stop the burning sensation at every breath she takes. She can’t give up now; Mrs. Vera told them they only had to send a white flashy signal to get out of the task if they encounter any problem, but Yuqi refuses to give up. She keeps on fighting to breath more air, but every breath is making her cough, everything is burning her as if she mistakenly got covered in spicy pepper.

The struggling Gryffindor closes her eyes, trying to think despite the pain, but it doesn’t do anything to make her focus, she opens her eyes again, and she sees a snake head on her wrist; Soojin’s gift. Obviously, she grabs her wand tightly and moves it in a wave shape.

« Aguamenti. »

A small jet of water gets out from the tip of her wand. That not enough. She says it again louder, clearer, and this time a wave of her size washes over her.


 

« Wow! »

Soyeon is on her feet, impressed by the casting abilities of her friend. Shuhua right next to her is gripping Miyeon’s hand tightly in hers as she can’t help but worry for Yuqi. Even if she believes in the redhead's abilities as a wizard, she finds this task crazily perilous.

A volcano? What are Hogwarts' teachers even thinking about when they decide to do such a thing?

« I told you she would be okay, Shu! »

Shuhua doesn’t answer, because the task is far from being over, and as long as Yuqi is out there she will not relax. Miyeon on Shuhua’s side is watching as well but her eyes are on someone else. A certain Ravenclaw has decided to take the most difficult road possible to the top: the cliff.

 


Minnie chose one of the most difficult aspect of Transfiguration by using it on herself and transforming herself in a Salamander. This way it is way easier to escalade the cliff, and even to face the multiple fiery trap of the volcano. The down side is that her life spam is short under this form, and water could be fatal to her. So she does her best to speed run on top of the volcano.

Minnie continues to accent, running as fast as her small legs make it possible. She avoids a rock the size of a ball coming from above, jumps when a burst of burning gas almost makes her lose her grip on the cliff, and speeds up every time she hears weird noises coming from inside the volcano. Under this form, the toxic air doesn’t hit her lungs, nor does the temperature gets to her head.


« Minnie must be confident in her skills. »

Soyeon watches through her binoculars the middle sized salamander climbing the cliff easily. She has to admit the Ravenclaw is impressive. Obviously, being the great wizard that she is, it is normal that she uses her skills, but still Soyeon is impressed. The small Gryffindor isn’t a bad wizard herself but her lack of practice makes her a barely above average student when it comes to actively use her wand. Even Shuhua, who is one year younger than her, is better than her in Transfiguration and Charm – not in Defense Against the Dark Arts because she really at it.

« … Mrs. Vera always said turning oneself into an animal can be impossible to reverse if done badly. »

Shuhua, who listens closely to her teachers when it comes to magic and its numerous possible fails if done wrongly, only sees the very terrible aspect of using such a spell. Despite her good abilities, she knows this is something she would never do, too scared to end up stuck as an animal forever.

« Don’t worry so much, you two. Minnie knows what she is doing. »

Miyeon watches with intensity how the three champions each use their own abilities to the fullest. In a way, she is a little sad to not have been selected, as she would have love to challenge herself against Minnie. On the other side, it is also interesting to watch the three fight for victory. Her brown eyes search for the Slytherin, curious to see how the girl who likes her Shuhua a little too much is doing.


Soojin is not doing well. She chose to take the jungle path, believing that she could use the vegetation to climb the cliff instead of falling the already existing path. So that is what she did, she managed to get herself through half of the jungle by using roots and lianas through her ascension. Except, among the various vegetation, one Devil was lurking and got her.

« ing Devil’s Snare! »

Soojin spits on the disgusting plant constricting her four members and strangling her chest more vigorously every time she makes a move to get out of the multiple tendrils and vines. She knows one way out of it is to relax. Except, right now, she doesn’t fee like relaxing, she feels like destroying everything because she only wants one thing: to get out of it.

She fights more powerfully, pulling and pulling until she almost can’t breath anymore. She tries to bite a tentacles of the plant but it does nothing at all except that she finds herself with a mouth full of sap now. Which makes her even more angry. And one thing that Soojin always does when she is angry: she set everything on fire.

It is something she hasn’t done in a long time, but during her first year at Hogwarts, Soojin got herself into trouble for not being able to manage her anger and putting everything around her on fire when it happened. There were a few occasions. One time after a Quidditch match she lost she burned down all of the hoops on the field and got prohibited to play the following match. Another time, she burned down a book and the table on which it was laying as she couldn’t master a spell quick enough, the librarian banned her from the library for the rest of the year. Another time she burned the entire Slytherin table in the Great Hall as someone took the last bite of one of her favorite desserts, and she had to help the elves for a month in the kitchens.

This time, there wouldn’t be consequences for her actions, so she burned it all, not just the Devil’s Snares. The entire jungle. Until there is nothing else but dust around her, and the terrible smell of conflagration. Once it is done, she looks down at herself, pants and boots capable to resist a fire. That is what Mr. Poe said about those clothes.

Soojin thinks for a moment. Her eyes look at the top of the volcano which is almost visible despite the clouds and smoke around it. She takes a deep breath, and chews on her lips; there is a spell on the tip of her lips, a spell which is Dark Magic and could get her in even bigger trouble than the last one she used. At the same time it could get her at the top if this volcano in no time.

The Slytherin bits her bottom lip even more, but she refuses to get expelled form Hogwarts and keeps the Dark Magic for herself. Instead, she does something she should have done from the very beginning.

« Accio Speedo. »


 

« Why is Soojin raising her hand like this? »

Soyeon changes her focus from Yuqi who is still running up the volcano with a protective water-like barrier that acts as a second skin, to Soojin who is standing in the remains of the burned jungle with her arm up in the air. There aren’t a lot of explanations possible, Soyeon knows that, and she turns in the direction of the castle. Coming from the dungeons at full speed is Soojin's broom.

« Her broom. She is getting her broom. »

« Is that allowed? »

« I guess. »

A broom finally comes to Soojin who grabs it while jumping on it in one easy move - her forgotten Quidditch skills coming back to light. The Slytherin doesn’t waste any time, she flies toward the top, disappearing among the clouds. Soyeon changes her focus on Yuqi, but the girl seems to have disappeared as well.

« Where are they? »

« Minnie was just here a second ago. »

« I lost Yuqi. »

The three spectators as well as the entire audience are searching for one of the three champions but it seems as if all of them are now above the clouds hiding the summit. Shuhua doesn’t feel any kind of relief, she keeps on searching for her friend without any success. Miyeon feels the distress of the younger girl and pulls her against her in the hope to comfort her a little.

 


« Out of my way! »

Yuqi turns around, she sees Soojin coming at full speed on her broom, but the Gryffindor has no intention of letting the girl win. She gets her wand out and throws explosions in Soojin’s face, surprising the girl and making her lose her balance on her broom. Yuqi uses the occasion to aim at the broom, and transforms it in a snake.

Soojin immediately hits the dusty and burning floor of the volcano. But she doesn’t stay on the ground and jumps back on her feet, as soon as she spots the snake, she can’t help herself and uses one of her hidden cards: Parseltongue.

« No way. »

Yuqi murmurs her surprise and watches as Soojin talks to the snake. It doesn’t require a genius to understand she is setting the animal after Yuqi, and the Gryffindor quickly makes the snake disappear with a movement of her wand. There is now only a few meters between Soojin and Yuqi.

They both know the top isn’t very far away from where they are, maybe a few more meters and they will touch their goal. Except they both want to win, Yuqi would hate to share her victory, and Soojin isn’t scared to push Yuqi out of the way.

« You again. »

« I can say the same thing. »

Yuqi is thinking at full speed, trying to find a way to put Soojin out and to reach the top first. The Slytherin still has her wand in a scabbard, apparently not feeling it as an essential part of the task. Yuqi takes it as an advantage and decides to throw a stunning spell at the Slytherin. Except, she manages to roll on the side and gets her wand at the same time. They are now both facing each other with a wand in hand.

« Mean. I thought we were friends. »

« Right now, I want to win. »

Soojin smirks, there is no good intentions in it, and Yuqi knows it very much. She knows Soojin won’t kill her, but the girl will arm her if it is the only possible way to victory. Her next move will be very important, she knows her best bet is surprise, a spell, an idea that Soojin would not see coming. As she is already using some of her concentration to maintain her water-skin barrier around her a powerful attack is out of question. Speaking of it, she truly wonders how Soojin isn’t affected by the dusty and burning air of the volcano at all. The Slytherin is standing in front of her without showing any sign of struggle.

« What- Reparifarge! »

Yuqi quickly turns in the direction Soojin just threw a spell, and gasps when she sees Minnie on all four just a few meters away from her. The Ravenclaw immediately jumps on her feet and arms her wand but Yuqi is quicker to disarm her and catches her wand while doing so – she has gotten very good at this specific spell this last year thanks to the two-week-long intense coaching she did to Shuhua before giving up.

« How- Minnie- You- »

« Give me back my wand. »

« You could use a thank you. »

« Thank you so much, Soojin for un-transfigurating me when I was this close to winning the challenge. »

« You wouldn’t have won. I would have kicked your Salamander's on my way to the top. »

« Your Veela was too busy charming your new friend. »

« What? Veela? »

Soojin gives Minnie a harsh look, which the Ravenclaw almost regrets as she senses herself falling back down to the ground, her knees hurting the hard and dirty ground before her face meets with it too.

« Just enough so you can watch me win. »

Minnie wants to curse the Slytherin, but even with all her willing strength she can’t do much against the spell except wait for it to wear off. Soojin takes off after Yuqi who used the time to run in direction of the top, but Soojin is faster than her and catches up just as they both reach the top at the same time. Soojin jumps over Yuqi, making the Gryffindor meet with the ground and loses her concentration on her water-barrier.

They don’t have the time to kick each other Yuqi feels the ground under her shaking, cracking and finally falling. Soojin and Yuqi exchange a panicked look before starting to scream out of cheer panic- well mostly Yuqi who has most likely burst Soojin’s eardrum. Soojin wishes she had her broom right now, but Yuqi turned it into a snake before making it vanish into thin air.

Yuqi has given up into even trying to remain brave, she is holding Soojin’s arms and screaming her fear away. It stops when they meet water. Yuqi immediately opens her eyes, she tries to breath but the only result is a burning sensation in her nostrils and lungs as she is indeed not a fish. She kicks her feet trying to make her way back to the surface, but something is holding her down. The burning sensation in her lungs, the panic from not being able to breath, and the thing holding her under water are too much.

« Ascendio! »

The charm costs her everything she had left. She doesn’t even control it, she just feels air back in her lungs again, her body naturally coughing away the water, and something moving next to her.


« ing God! Oh my God! Oh my God! Is Yuqi okay? »

Soyeon is as worried as Shuhua but just less vocal about it, and maybe less active about it as well. Shuhua just jumped over the rail of the bleachers landing safely on the grass – a good ten meters down – and is now running toward Yuqi. Soyeon follows her with Miyeon, who is more worried about Shuhua’s lack of thinking in her actions than Yuqi’s well being, just behind her.

Shuhua crosses the field faster than Soyeon has ever seen her run in her life. The moment Yuqi and Soojin reaches the top, the volcano disappeared, and a large pound of water which has been hidden right under it appeared. Turns out, the volcano was never going to erupt in the first place, and while it was still a magical entity, it never was the Old Lady one; it just looked a lot like it. Yuqi and Soojin fell into the pound, and Yuqi managed to get them both out using her last strength. Fortunately, they both landed on a giant waterlily.

Shuhua is quick to use an “Accio” to get the waterlily close to the edge of the pound before getting both Soojin and Yuqi on the ground with Soyeon and Miyeon’s help. Mrs. Vera only manages to get there once they are down, preferring to go down the stairs of the bleachers than jumping over them like the three girls did. Mr. Bancroft arrives a few minutes after to calm down every one and check on the champions.


« You scared us! »

« Shu. Don’t scream at her. »

« I am sorry. You weren’t moving when you got out of the water, and- »

« I am fine. See? The Nurse said I would be out by the end of the day. »

« Hum… »

« You should rather check on Soojin. »

Shuhua turns in direction of the bed Soojin is occupying. A circle of Slytherins is standing next to her, chatting with their champion; a good reason for Shuhua to not go there. The three champions got escorted to the Infirmary shortly after the end of the challenge. Minnie was in the worst condition out of all of them, turns out having her face so close to the ground made her inhale too many dusty particles, and she had to smell some nasty concoction to purge her respiratory system.

Other than that, the three of them had minor injuries on their bodies. Bruises, contusions and cuts that were easy to treat without leaving any permanent scars on them. Yuqi and Soojin did breath some water, but after a some coughing it was sorted out. The Nurse only advocated them to get some rest for the afternoon.

Shuhua has been very worried over Yuqi and didn’t leave the girl’s side the whole time she was sleeping, she can’t help but think those challenges are truly the dumbest but she respects Yuqi for managing to stay alive every time. She ends up falling asleep while holding Yuqi’s hand in hers. Soyeon already left the infirmary as she wanted to give her friend some rest, and ultimately the Infirmary grows silent.


 

Yuqi is only watching over Shuhua, listening to her deep breaths as she sleeps on her lap. She finds it adorable how worried the younger girl got about her. It surprises her. Surely because the girl has been spending less time with her those past weeks and she assumed the younger girl didn't care much about her anymore. She gently caresses the soft locks of the girl, a fond smile gracing her lips.

« Why you smiling like that? You didn’t win. »

Yuqi immediately looks up, she easily finds Soojin who jumps out of her bed despite the Nurse clearly telling her to lie down and rest. She slowly makes her way to Yuqi’s bed, her lungs still hurting from the water she inhaled earlier.

« I believe I was the first one to reach the top. »

Soojin rolls her eyes but doesn’t argue further. She is looking at the sleeping Shuhua on Yuqi's lap, she tries to act as if it doesn't bother her, but it does. Shuhua didn't even check on her at the end of the challenge. She sits down on a chair next to Yuqi's bed. She takes a deep breath before breaking eye contact with Shuhua and looking at Yuqi, instead.

« I must admit you are a great opponent... »

« Are you becoming soft on me, now? »

« ... but not good enough to defeat me. »

« That’s more like you. »

They chuckle together. Yuqi looks at Shuhua's head on her lap, worried she might have woken up the girl. She gently pats the long dark hair of the girl, her wrist catches her attention while doing so.

« I have to thank you. The bracelet really helped me. »

« Oh. Have you figured out how it works? »

« Well. It enhanced water spells, right? »

Soojin’s mouth does something weird before deciding on grinning. Yuqi tries to catch the untold words laying in her green eyes but to no avail. Soojin stays an entire mystery.

« It does. But you haven’t figured out even half of it, yet. »

« Is this some kind of plotting without me? »

Soojin and Yuqi both turn in direction of the new voice. Minnie is walking toward them, but she has to take a break before reaching them as her lungs are making her suffer. Still, she takes the opportunity to look at the scene in front of her; Yuqi is sitting on her bed with Shuhua’s head on her lap and Soojin is in a chair right next to Yuqi with her fingers in Shuhua’s hair. Minnie believes her Slytherin friend is a disaster.

« We didn’t know you were awake. »

Yuqi apologizes and points to an available chair next to Shuhua. Minnie finally manages to make her way to the bed, and sits down next to Shuhua, in front of Soojin. Her eyes immediately question Soojin on what is going on with her hand, and the Slytherin immediately stops on petting Shuhua’s hair.

« So. Which one of you won after joining force to defeat me? »

« Joining force? »

« I was the one who put you down. Yuqi did nothing. »

Yuqi feels the tension rising up between the two friends, and she does her best to put an end to it. It turns out, there is worst than affronting the two on the field: witnessing their bickering which happens to not only be directed at each other but at the other in the room as well.

« Yuqi wouldn’t have won if you had gotten the gut to kick her out of your way. »

« She didn’t won. And you only lost because your idea . »

« Oh, excuse me if I am not burning down to the ground everything in my way. »

« You what? »

« A pitiful Salamander, really? That’s a better idea? »

« It is better than running my way to the top. »

« Hey! »

« You could have killed yourself. You couldn’t even un-transfigure out of it! Are you dumb? »

« Maybe you can’t, but I can. »

« Do you know how ing dangerous it is, Nicha? You could have died! You could have died out there! »

Minnie opens and closes a few times. She swallows the forming knot in , and gets up. She congratulates Yuqi on managing her way to the top, and tells Soojin she will see her later before leaving the infirmary, leaving the Gryffindor clueless. Soojin sighs next to her, she excuses herself and decides to leave as well, leaving Yuqi alone with Shuhua.


 

« I heard everything. »

« I know. Your breathing changed when Minnie came. »

Shuhua sits up, she looks in direction of the entrance of the infirmary before looking at Yuqi again. The redhead seems rather down for someone who potentially won the task. Shuhua squeezes her hand to gain her attention and offers her a smile to which Yuqi is forced to answer. Shuhua is just too adorable to be ignored.

« What happened at the top of the volcano? »

Once the three champions got past the clouds, it was impossible for the spectators to see anything from the bleachers. The volcano suddenly disappearing and the fall of Soojin and Yuqi were quite a shock for the audience.

« … I was only a few meters away from the summit when I heard Soojin behind me. We had a standoff and I really thought she would win. After all, she is a better wizard than I am. »

« Don’t you say that. You are a great wizard. Everyone says so, even Mrs. Vera and she hates you. »

Shuhua frowns, her index finger menacing Yuqi to say the contrary. For her, the Gryffindor is one of the best wizards around the school. Her knowledge of spells and enchantments is almost endless, even if she isn't able to master them all. Shuhua knows Yuqi practices a lot, and the girl is better at theoretical than practical; the tournament is for her a real challenge and Shuhua believes she is doing more than well considering her opponents and the difficulty of the challenges.

« She doesn’t hate me. »

« If she is in a bad mood, there is a 50% chance it is your fault. »

« What are the other 50%? »

« It is Soyeon’s. »

Yuqi lets out a loud laugh. Shuhua isn’t wrong, but neither she nor Soyeon would admit it.

« I thought Soojin would attack me right away. Disarming me or stunning me or... worse. Instead, she attacked a Salamander which was running past me. It turns out, Minnie had changed herself into one. »

« That was such a dangerous strategy! Mrs. Vera always warns us about the consequences of doing so. Soojin was right to turn her back into a human. »

« Well, after Soojin un-transfigured Minnie, I disarmed her, and Soojin stunned her. After that... We ran for the top, but we reached it at the same time. Except... we fell down into the pound. »

Yuqi still hasn't figured out why the volcano disappeared once they reach the top. Once she is out of the Infirmary, she has so many questions to ask Mrs. Vera - hopefully, her ban from her office has been left.

« … It is strange that Soojin didn’t attack you. I mean... She didn’t even hesitate during the first task. She attacked you twice! »

« I know. »

Yuqi thinks for a moment. Thinking about it again, it is unlike Soojin to not fight properly. The Slytherin almost let her win, or maybe it is something else? Minnie did mention something strange.

« Minnie said something about it. Something about a Veela while talking about Soojin. »

Shuhua thinks for a moment, but nothing comes. She is sure that she has heard this word before but could not for the life of her remember what it means. Yuqi who has quite a good memory would have immediately remembered, but she has never encountered it before. The only thing to do is to go to the library.