Chapter [6] : The winter break and its fair share of revelations.

Hogwarts : The Magical Tournament

 

« Well done, Shu. Two girls in one night. »

« Yuqi! »

The redhead rolls her eyes and averts Soyeon’s blow on her shoulder by rolling away on their floor of pillows and covers. The Christmas Ball slowly came to an end in the Second Hall, and most students decided to go back to their dorms. The three Gryffindors are part of those students, now lying together in the middle of their room to talk about the night. Shuhua wanted to look for Miyeon, but she wasn’t sure she wanted to deal with the girl who was surely drunk by now.

Minnie and Soojin left the Second Hall together, and Shuhua found herself with no choice but to follow her two friends. As they were changing into their pajamas, Shuhua was still wondering if she should tell them about what happened tonight. She tried two times to start a sentence before giving up. Eventually, as Soyeon was helping her clean her face from the make up she confessed.

The small Gryffindor already knew something had happened, but she wasn’t sure if it was with Miyeon or Soojin; it surprised her when she learned it was both. Yuqi laughed, which Shuhua did see coming, before asking how did she managed to get both girls.

« So. What are you going to do now? »

« … Do I have to do something? »

Yuqi and Soyeon look at each other, but none of them have a solution. Shuhua lies down and closes her eyes. Soyeon and Yuqi continue to exchange heavy look of words; it is so easy for them to understand each other thanks to them spending most of their time together. Soyeon is warning Yuqi to not hurt Shuhua’s feelings with her jokes, while Yuqi is telling Soyeon that Shuhua really did something unbelievable tonight.

« It was my first kiss. »

Yuqi’s eyes grow twice their usual size. Soyeon frowns in her direction wanting the redhead to behave. Shuhua lets out a big sigh, feeling the weight of the confession wear off. Soyeon’s eyes urge Yuqi to say something.

« Was it good? »

« I don’t really know. »

« Was it Miyeon or Soojin? »

Soyeon frowns at Yuqi’s question. Yuqi only shrugs, believing it is a legitimate question to ask. Still Soyeon waits for Shuhua’s answer.

« … It was Miyeon. I… I knew what she was going to do, it is just that she usually stops herself. »

« What do you mean, Shu? »

« Well. It isn’t the first time she was looking at me this way. With so much… attraction. She usually ends up kissing me on the cheek or the nose, or anywhere else. Tonight she kissed me for real. »

Yuqi is no longer joking, Soyeon notices it from the way her eyes shine concern for Shuhua. In those moments, when she sees the redhead caring deeply for the people she loves, Soyeon can’t help but smile discreetly. Yuqi likes to be seen as an easygoing and carefree person, but Soyeon knows there is much more to the girl.

« I thought Miyeon and you were friends. »

« We are. … I think this is why I felt strange after the kiss. Miyeon told me we can talk about it later, but I don’t even know what to expect. »

« How did you end up kissing Soojin after Miyeon? »

Soyeon is grateful Yuqi is never scared to say the words. She knows she have a hard time talking about subjects such as romantic relationship and everything around it. Shuhua takes a deep breath before answering.

« I didn’t. Soojin did. »

« What! She- she kissed you without- »

« I wasn’t against. »

Soyeon takes Shuhua’s hand in hers, she rubs the back of her hand as she listens to the younger girl. Shuhua hasn’t decided to open her eyes yet, feeling it easier to tell everything without facing anyone. Yuqi is looking in front of her, trying to decipher the situation.

« I… I liked it. »

« More than Miyeon’s? »

« I don’t know. I just… I never thought Soojin was interested in me this way. »

« You thought she wanted to be your friend? With those looks she gives you? »

« What! What are you talking about? »

Yuqi groans at Shuhua’s naivety. Soyeon’s gaze meets Shuhua’s. The younger is checking on Soyeon to know if the girl is aware of what Yuqi is saying and she feels almost betrayed when she realizes Soyeon looks like she knows more than she ever told Shuhua. Yuqi clears , gaining the two girls’ attention back.

« I think it is better if you talk about it with them. Plus, I don’t want our last day before the break to be spoiled. »

Shuhua sighs, but doesn’t argue further, she believes it is better to leave it here for now. Soyeon squeezes her hand three times, and Shuhua answers by squeezing three times too.

« Since it has snowed a lot those past days, I thought we could go sledding down the hill. It would be fun, don’t you think? »

« Sure. »

« Come on, Shu. Don’t dwell on it. We won’t see each other for two weeks, we should enjoy our time together. »

« Yeah, yeah. Let’s go sledding. »

Yuqi pats Shuhua’s head before laying down next to her. She takes Shuhua’s hand in hers and the silence quickly envelops the three of them. Yuqi falls asleep fast, her head resting on Shuhua’s shoulder; after all the Gryffindor has been so stressed between the Ball and the exams that her body is just so grateful to finally enjoy some rest without any worries.

It isn’t the case for Shuhua, who can’t find sleep, even if her two friends are peacefully sleeping next to her. She can’t move either as Yuqi’s head is on her shoulder, and Soyeon is snuggled on her other side. Shuhua is still thinking about tonight, about Miyeon, about Soojin, about what Yuqi said. Soojin has been into her since the beginning; she can’t believe it is true, the Slytherin is-

« I can hear you think. »

« Sorry. »

Soyeon moves slightly against Shuhua, but she is careful enough to not wake up Yuqi.

« Is it because of what Yuqi said? »

« … I don’t understand what makes her think Soojin has always been into me. How could I not notice it then? »

« Sometimes, we don’t see things until they are pointed at us. »

Shuhua nods slowly to not wake up Yuqi. Soyeon interlaces her fingers with Shuhua’s. It is something she often does, finding comfort in the warm body of the younger girl; while she never lets herself be so close to Yuqi. It isn’t her fault, she has always found it so comforting and easy to be close to the girl.
 


During the winter break, most students go back to their home to enjoy Christmas with their parents. Yuqi loves it the best as she gets to see all her family, since she generally spends it between Britain and China. Soyeon stays with her family as well, her big brother always has some cool gifts he brings from his travels for her, and she loves all of his new stories. For Shuhua, it is a bit different. Her parents are always very busy and she usually spends her Christmas at Hogwarts.

She never complains about it, actually she enjoys being alone in the huge castle. She spends all of her time reading books, taking long walks around the Great Lake, and stuffing herself with Taiwanese and Korean food. Because those past two years, the Hufflepuff girl has been spending her winter break with Shuhua. Since Miyeon didn’t go home for Christmas and couldn’t enjoy her family homemade food, her parents made it deliver to Hogwarts for their daughter to enjoy. Miyeon also bugged her parents to have deliver some Taiwanese food for Shuhua as well, and they now have their little ritual of spending the winter break together while sharing food from their homeland.

Except this time, things are a little awkward. Shuhua couldn’t stop thinking about what would Miyeon tell her about the Christmas Ball night. And once she has said her goodbye to Soyeon and Yuqi, she finds herself alone in their room up in Gryffindor Tower. Everything has been put in order before the depart of the two girls, and for once she doesn’t feel the happy feeling of having some times for herself.

Shuhua looks by the window where everything is white outside thanks to the constant snowing of these past days. Not many students stayed in Hogwarts this year, and the Hogwarts Express was fuller than usual. Shuhua got a glimpse of Soojin and Minnie boarding together, but the Slytherin didn’t reach to her after the Christmas Ball, and it did upset the younger girl a little more than she told Soyeon and Yuqi.

Shuhua finally decides to exit the Gryffindor Tower after having enough of thinking over and over again the same thoughts. She walks through the fourth floor, and takes the hidden corridors near the Gryffindor’s entrance. There she finds herself in the room she discovered with Soyeon and Yuqi, there is nothing particular in it, it is empty, with big windows on one wall giving a good view on the Great Lake. The Lake is frozen at this time of the year, and Shuhua remembers trying to teach Yuqi how to skate on it during her third year. The redhead was terrible at it, but didn’t give up.

Shuhua continues her exploration of Hogwarts, she walks through the different floors, meeting less than five students, before reaching the Great Hall. At the Hufflepuff table, she finds Miyeon reading a book. She walks up to the girl, and clears before sitting down next to her. Hogwarts regulation is way less strict during the breaks, and Shuhua is free to eat with Miyeon at every meal.

« I was waiting for you. Where were you? »

« I walked Soyeon and Yuqi to the station. »

« Did they leave well? »

Miyeon closes her book, she uncrosses and crosses back her legs in Shuhua’s direction. Her skirt is letting a lot of her long legs visible, and Shuhua can’t help but to glance at it. Miyeon is smiling at her, clearly happy to see the younger girl, while Shuhua is rather anxious about the upcoming conversation.

« So… It is only us two now. »

« Hum. I… The- »

« I know. Don’t worry. I was drunk. »

Shuhua frowns, she knows it isn’t true. Miyeon had barely drank one glass and a half of alcohol when something happened between them. But the Gryffindor doesn’t say anything, she listens to Miyeon telling her how this was just an accident as the power of alcohol got the best of her thinking. Shuhua looks down at her hand, she doesn’t know what she was expecting from her friend. It just hurts her to learn that Miyeon who took away her first kiss did it only because she was under the influence of alcohol.

« Well. What do you want to do? We have all the time in the word. »

Shuhua nods, trying to put on a smile so the girl doesn’t read through her. They spend the afternoon in the Study Area, reading books on their own; Miyeon has her legs over Shuhua’s and from time to time she reaches for Shuhua’s hair and lets her fingers slide through them. Shuhua doesn’t say anything, choosing to focus on her book rather than Miyeon’s distracting movements on her person.


It becomes clearer every passing hour that Shuhua is no longer comfortable with Miyeon’s physical touch on her person. She even leans away at time, and when she jumps away from the girl as the later tried to hug her; Miyeon can no longer ignore it.

« What is wrong with you? »

« Nothing. »

Shuhua is sitting in one of Hufflepuff’s common room armchair. Her usual let down black hair is put up in a bun, and she is wearing her casual baggy clothes. Miyeon had come back from her room with some snacks for them to enjoy while chatting in the common room when she felt the need to hug he adorable girl. Except, Shuhua rejected her.

« Why did you move away from me then? »

« … I don’t know. I just… I don’t know. »

« … Did I do something wrong? »

« No. No, everything is fine. »

« It doesn’t seem like it. »

Miyeon sits down facing Shuhua, with the snacks put in between them. The atmosphere between them is suddenly so heavy they felt it crushing their lungs at each breath. Shuhua is looking down at her hands, while Miyeon is trying to have the girl to look her way. She doesn’t understand why she refuses to communicate with her. It pains her that their usual bounding time doesn’t feel like it used to.

« Is it… Is it about Minnie? »

« Minnie? »

« Yes. You were worried I would spend too much time with her at the beginning of the year. I think I might have forgot about it a little, and I am very sorry. I know you don’t like Minnie very much, but I thought maybe, eventually, you two would get along. »

« Maybe, one day. »

Shuhua would have surely never said those words while believing them at the beginning of the year. Turns out, Minnie isn’t as bad as Shuhua always imagined her to be. After the Ball, Yuqi invited the Ravenclaw to go sledding with them down the hill, and Shuhua witnessed how entertaining the girl could be. Turns out, Yuqi and her have amazing chemistry, and Shuhua and Soyeon laughed until their belly hurt.

« Shuhua… I am sorry. You know you are my favorite person, right? »

Miyeon kneels down in front of Shuhua, she holds her hands in hers, and brings them to to kiss them. Shuhua looks down at the blonde girl. Miyeon has always been so willing to do everything for Shuhua, everything the small Gryffindor asks, or even says she wants, Miyeon finds a way to give it to her.

« Why did you kiss me? »

Shuhua looks at Miyeon right in the eyes. Her dark brown pupils meeting the soft browns of the older girl. Miyeon forgets to breath for a moment, her hold on Shuhua’s hands loosing up before she finds her words.

« I… I told you. I was drunk. »

« You have been drunk before, and yet you didn’t kiss me. »

Miyeon groans, she closes her eyes before opening them again. Shuhua’s eyes don’t leave her face, waiting for the other girl to answer her.

« Shuhua… Why are you making a big fuss about it? I was drunk, and I kissed you. There is no deep explanation to search for. »

« It was my first kiss, Miyeon. »

Miyeon pinches her lips together. She lets go of Shuhua’s hand and sits down on the carpeted floor of the common room. Shuhua’s eyes are holding a sparkle of annoyance Miyeon isn’t used to face. She realizes how important it is for Shuhua, and how she didn’t consider it when she selfishly took what she wanted from the younger girl. Because yes, she wanted to kiss Shuhua at this moment, and while all the other times she refused to act on the urge, this night she did.

« I… I am sorry. Shuhua, I didn’t know. I… Why didn’t you tell me? »

« That isn’t the point. Are you doing this to everyone when you are drunk? »

« What? Shuhua, what are you saying? I… I am not kissing people when I am drunk! I only… I only kissed… you. »

« … »

Miyeon takes a deep breath. Her soft brown eyes scan the room, but there are only two other students, Hufflepuffs busy playing a card game between themselves away from the conversation she is having with Shuhua. Miyeon bits her lips, her eyes expressing an emotion Shuhua isn’t used of seeing on the girl: dread.

« I… I really like you Shuhua. »


Yuqi loves the winter break the most out of all. She spends a few days in London with her parents before traveling to China to meet with her family. The redhead has always lived between the two countries, experiencing the two cultures and languages at the same time. Being an only child, she always finds it the most entertaining when there are a lot of people her age she can play with. Her cousins are the funniest and they spend their time showing off to each other what they learned at their respective school; Hogwarts for Yuqi and Mahoutokoro for her cousins.

Yuqi feels even prouder this year as she can share with everyone how she got chosen to participate in the Magical Tournament organized by her school. Everyone’s attention was on her the whole dinner after hearing the news, and Yuqi couldn’t have feel better, loving the attention on her person.

The night of Christmas, she received an unexpected package from none other than her favorite Slytherin. Soojin has send her a box with a letter attached to it. It is the first gift she opened, clearly never expecting such a gesture form the girl. Soojin wrote her only a few words telling her to rest well during the break and to come back better than ever for the remaining challenges of the tournament. Inside the box she finds a bracelet the shape of a snake. In a way it isn’t so surprising knowing the emblem of the Seo family is a snake as well, and Soojin is a Slytherin.

Yuqi takes it from the box, and inspects it closely, but the second her finger touches it, it slides around her wrist and locks itself around it before seemingly disappearing under her skin. Yuqi caresses the spot where the bracelet is hidden but she can’t feel it. She immediately runs to her parents and asks them about the jewel. After a few minutes, her dad manages to make it appear, and takes it off Yuqi’s wrist.

« Who gave it to you? »

« A friend from Hogwarts. »

« You have a Slytherin friend? »

« Something like that. She is more of a rival. »

« I thought that was Soyeon. »

Yuqi shrugs, not feeling comfortable answering her dad’s comment. The wizard is inspecting the bracelet under the magic of its wand, he is using spells Yuqi has never heard about or read in any book, to figure out what this gift really is. Her dad has always been quite the inspiration for the young wizard. She believes him to be the most powerful wizard alive, and there is no one she admires more than him.

« Seo? You are friend with one of the Seo? »

« You know of them? »

« They are quite the infamous name, Yuqi. This family of wizards has been here for generations, they are powerful, and very influent in the international community. Despite it all, it is hard to forget they affiliation to the Dark Arts. »

« My friend isn’t like her family. »

« I trust your judgement. Still, you should be careful of the Seo. »

« Did you find what this bracelet is about? »

Yuqi’s father nods, he puts down its wand before giving back to Yuqi. The snake bracelet immediately slides back around her wrist and disappear under her skin. Yuqi watches with amazement.

« It is quite a powerful item. Only you can wear it, as you saw it didn’t move when I was holding it. The snake is known to be an aquatic animal, and while you are a Gryffindor, your skills in water based spells can’t be ignored. This bracelet enhances your magic when using those. And I believe it could help you in wet environment. »

Yuqi smiles. Soojin must have remember her stunt using water to propel herself in the air. It is also true that the Gryffindor as always been quite skillful with water related spell, but she didn’t know Soojin is also aware of it. Yuqi can only smile bigger, she caresses the bracelet fondly, and the head of the snake briefly appears.

« To take it off, only use a flick of your wand. I must say, that is quite the gift. Should I worry about this Slytherin person? »

Yuqi’s dad eyes are obviously asking if there is something going on with them. Yuqi blinks for a second, finding it difficult to imagine Soojin having any kind of romantic feelings for her. The Slytherin always looks at her with a smug smile, and she enjoys teasing Yuqi, but she never gives her those long and dreamy look like she does with Shuhua.

« Her name is Seo Soojin, and she is another one of the champions. »


Minnie isn’t a big fan of the Christmas season. Usually it means spending the entire holidays with her parents and her twin brothers. The atmosphere is always very serious, and now that her two brothers have found a partner, she feels left out and bored. No one plays with her, her parents keep telling her to be more responsible, but Minnie does that all year long at Hogwarts, and she has enough.

So she decided to visit her best friend. Seo Soojin. The Slytherin lives in big mansion in the countryside of England. It isn’t very clear what her parents are doing for a job, but they are always quite welcoming of Minnie. The girl suspects it has something to do with the fact that her parents are quite important inside the Magical Ministry of Thailand. Still, she is grateful that they always welcome her.

Soojin is busy taking care of her broom collection when Minnie finds her. The girl is wearing long pants, and an even longer coat while rubbing her broom clean, before coating them with a protective lotion to make them shine. Minnie rolls her eyes, Soojin will never let go of Quidditch, it seems as if she is still part of the Slytherin team.

« Ran away from your family? »

« Supposed your parents wouldn’t mind another guest. »

« Don’t make it a habit. »

Soojin is now cleaning up her atelier. Minnie takes a look at the four brooms. Soojin still has her first ever broom, despite her collection of those getting bigger every year. Minnie wonders why the girl’s parents continue to gift her brooms despite knowing their daughter won’t use them.

« Where are you sisters? »

« Out. They wanted to go shopping. »

« Not you? »

« I already have a gift for everyone. »

« Even for me? »

Soojin turns around; her eyes are asking Minnie if she is being real right now. Minnie chuckles before asking what it is. To no surprise, Soojin gets it out of her pocket and puts it down on the table. Minnie is surprised by the size of the package but doesn’t comment on it.

« Here is yours. »

Minnie pulls out a small package from under her coat and gives it to Soojin. The two friends look at each other with a smile before opening their gift. Minnie’s eyes soften when she sees what her friend got her. It is a photo album, it looks like any book from the outside but when you open it, the pictures are moving, and Minnie finds little comments written by Soojin next to each picture.

« Wow. How is it that you have so many pictures of us? »

Minnie quickly flips through the pages, she can see herself and Soojin growing up. From their first year at Hogwarts, up to as recently as during the Christmas Ball. There was a photographer during the event, and the two friends got their pictures taken together. Minnie has a hard time not tearing up; behind her unbothered and cool image is hidden a sweet and delicate girl. Soojin’s comments next to the pictures make her smile.

Minnie sees one picture of them right in front the Hogwarts Express before boarding. Another one of them happily smiling as Soojin won her Quidditch game, still holding the Golden Snitch and Minnie is next to her with a Slytherin scarf around her neck. One is with Minnie’s brothers and Soojin’s sisters, it is a rare sight; it was the time they spent their summer together in Minnie’s summer house. Minnie’s favorite pictures are the one they take before boarding the Hogwarts Express every year, they each wear their own clothes, and they always look so happy to see each other again for another year.

« … Thank you. »

« I left a few pages empty, so you can add more pictures. »

Soojin smiles, something Minnie is one of the few lucky enough to see. The girl finds it difficult to hold back her tears, especially in these circumstances. Minnie often forgets how much Soojin values her as a friend, and it isn’t because she barely shows it when they are at school that she doesn’t. Soojin might not have romantic feelings for her, but Soojin loves her very much.

« I will only say this now. I hope our friendship continues on for a long time, Nicha. »

Minnie turns around, showing her back to Soojin as she refuses to let tears go down her cheeks. She takes a deep breath before looking at Soojin again.

« So, have you opened my gift? »

Soojin looks at the small package between her hands. She gently opens it, and starts to chuckle when she finds out Minnie’s gift. A Queen piece from a Wizard Chess game. Soojin takes it out, the piece is green, with great details, and even has the Seo’s emblem on it. Soojin inspects it for a moment.

« Where is the rest of the game? »

« Well. They only sold me the Queen. »

« You do realize I cannot play with only a Queen. »

Minnie walks closer to Soojin, she takes the Queen piece from her hand, and with a flick of her wand she changes the piece. It is now a King, with the Yontarak’s family emblem on it, but it remains the same vibrant green. Soojin inspects it again, a bit confused about the gift Minnie chose for her.

« I am a Queen and you are a King. That’s an interesting take on our friendship. »

Soojin plays with the piece between her fingers, before deciding to put it in her pocket. She wonders what Minnie was really thinking about when she chose this gift, but she believes she will eventually find out about it. As for now, she prefers to take it as a lucky charm rather than anything too serious.

« My sisters should be home any minute. Let’s meet them in the living room. »


« Soyeon! There is something in the mail for you! I will open it if you don’t come! »

Soyeon flies back to her house, she goes as far as to fly through the window to catch her mail before her brother can open it for her. Her mother screams her way that there should be no flying inside the house, but Soyeon is already far gone, with her mail under her arm, she finds a good spot on the roof. The small girl has a big smile when she reads the name of her favorite Gryffindor.

« Yuqi… »

The envelope is light, still, the gift is to Soyeon’s taste. Yuqi has offered her a pin, with a lion head for Soyeon to add to her beanie. The girl smiles, already taking off her beanie to pin it on, right next to the Gryffindor one. She puts it back on, and smiles harder when she sees Yuqi joined a letter to it. The redhead always likes to leave Soyeon heartfelt letters around Christmas and her birthday to reassure herself and Soyeon of their sacred friendship.

« So? Your girlfriend sent you a gift? »

« Yuqi isn’t my girlfriend. »

Soyeon’s brother rolls his eyes. In his eyes, the way Soyeon reacts every time the name of Yuqi is mention is more girlfriend like than friendship like. Even though, he got confused when he met with Shuhua and saw how his sister was acting around the younger girl. For a moment, he actually thought Shuhua and her were dating.

« Ah, it’s Shuhua. I forgot. »

« Shuhua isn’t my girlfriend, either. »

« Yet… You like her a lot. »

« Shuhua is my friend. I just take care of her a lot, because she is a Muggle-born. »

« Hum… Is that the only reason? »

« … Leave me alone. »

« Do you have a thing for all of your friends? Keeping your options broad? »

« Leave me alone. I don’t have a thing… for all of my friends. »

« You have a thing for Shuhua and Yuqi, tho. »

Soyeon looks around, the sky is still clear despite the very much cold weather of winter. Soyeon and her brother stay together in silence on the roof of their house. Soyeon chews on her lips, she doesn’t like how her brother can see right through her.

Yes, she has a thing for Yuqi. She always found the redhead beautiful, except she didn’t think much of it until their first kiss just before her Quidditch match. Ever since, she has been noticing how her body has been reacting more and more to the girl. One kiss became two, became three, became five, became fully making out with Yuqi. Every time it happened, it made Soyeon questions so much about herself and her relationship with the redhead; even if she continued to blind herself with the lie that it is only for stress relief.

And yes, she has a thing for Shuhua. The night the three Gryffindors talked for the first time, Soyeon couldn’t help herself from admiring quietly the young girl. With her long dark hair falling on her shoulders, her big dark eyes, and her angelic looks, it was hard for Soyeon to ignore the effect Shuhua had on her. From the very beginning she felt the need to protect her, to be sure nothing would happen to the girl, and that is what she did all those years. Except, she might have left herself carried away, especially as the three of them took the habit of sleeping together from time to time. Soyeon must admit she enjoys more than she lets it show when she gets to sleep all snuggled against Shuhua, with her skin smelling of peach, and her body all soft and warm.

« So you haven’t chosen which one you prefer yet? »

« Shuhua has a thing for someone else, anyway. »

« Oh… Let me guess. Miyeon, isn’t it? »

« Yes… and Soojin. »

« Two girls? Wow, she is just like you, then. »

« … »

« Come on. So those two are your opponents? The Miyeon girl and Soojin? What’s her last name? »

« Seo. Seo Soojin. »

« Seo? As… As the infamous Seo family? »

« Exactly. She is a Slytherin. »

« Not surprising. Is it worrying you that a Seo is after your dear Shuhua? »

« … Soojin isn’t like her family. »

« Hum… The apple never fall far away from the tree. Anyway. Let’s go home before mom gets angry. Come on. »

Soyeon flies down the roof, her brother just behind her. Soyeon throws her broom in the hall before sliding behind the dinner table. Her mom gives her a warning look, but it doesn’t last long. Soyeon loves these moments with her family where the four of them enjoy their meal in the warmth of their house. Her brother is always busy at the other side of the world, but he always makes some times for her.


Shuhua can’t sleep. Her eyes are wide opened, looking at the ceiling of her room; it is unmoving showing the same beams and alcoves as it always does. On her belly is resting Miyeon’s arm, her leg is also throw over Shuhua’s body, and her face is resting in the crook of her neck. The Hufflepuff never had any problem falling asleep at night. Unlike Shuhua, she doesn’t let her thoughts run in circle until she becomes crazy.

The conversation they had in the Hufflepuff’s common room is still playing again and again in Shuhua’s head. Miyeon lied to her, but Shuhua doesn’t understand why; it hurt her to believe that this kiss they shared wasn’t special to Miyeon. And then, the Hufflepuff told her she liked her. Shuhua didn’t understand at first the meaning of the sentence. Until… Until she realized, her friend had feelings for her. And she didn’t know what to say. She still doesn’t.

So that is what she did, she didn’t say anything, she only took Miyeon’s hand in hers before hugging her. They spend the rest of the days in each other arms; Miyeon felt relief to have finally said the truth, Shuhua was confused about it all. She has never been very good with her emotions.

Miyeon told her it was fine if she didn’t answer, all she wanted was for them to continue their friendship and to enjoy the winter break together; it is the most important to her. Shuhua agreed, and thought she could really use Soyeon’s wise thinking for once. Since there is nothing else to do, Shuhua lets herself enjoy the winter break and the Christmas spirit.


Miyeon and her do their usual snowball fight until they finish all wet and dirty, they skate on the frozen lake, they eat the yummy food Miyeon’s parents send them, they had fun trying to make the instruments in the Music Room play music on their own accord but none of them manages to master the spell well enough to have a proper melody, they spend hours reading books, and sleep in the same bed every night.

Shuhua slowly forgets about Miyeon's confession, but she sometimes catch the Hufflepuff girl looking at her lips while she is talking, and she feels conflicting emotions in those instants. It is the fear of seeing their relationship change, and the curiosity of seeing what could happen. It is selfish of her to not choose, but Miyeon doesn’t know how to say no to Shuhua, even when it hurts her heart.

The morning of Christmas, Shuhua and Miyeon wakes up earlier than usual and run to the Christmas tree in the Hufflepuff’s common room to check on what they got. Miyeon quickly takes all of her gifts among the one for the other Hufflepuff before following Shuhua to the Gryffindor Tower. They arrive out of breath in Gryffindor’s common room, and Shuhua can’t help her smile when she finds the amount of presents she got.

Miyeon and her open them together. The two friends are always as excited as children, loving to tear up the wrapping and finding out what they got. Shuhua has a gift from her both her parents, it is an elegant bottle of perfume that she has been begging them to buy her ever since this summer. The Gryffindor happily opens it and takes a good sniff; it is a summer scent and she can’t wait to wear it when winter will be over.

Miyeon’s parents got their only daughter a ring, and a couple of books. Of course, the ring isn’t just a normal one but Miyeon doesn’t take the time to read the note attached to it. Instead her eyes are caught by another gift. It makes her smile when she understands it is from Minnie. The package is as big as her fist, and it makes her curious. Inside, she finds an elephant, a miniature elephant made of sapphire. Miyeon inspects it curiously, wondering why would Minnie offer her such a thing.

On her side, Shuhua finds herself with a completed set of Wizard Card offered by Yuqi and Soyeon. She knows Soyeon has absolutely no interest in those, so she finds the gesture very kind of her. Shuhua looks for another gift, and finds the remaining one being Miyeon’s. She looks at it for a moment, before finally unwrapping it.

« A piece of wood? That’s… original. »

Miyeon turns to Shuhua and she can’t help but to let out a chuckle at the reaction of the girl. She explains this piece of wood is magical, and when two people hold it together, it shows one of their shared memories. If the two holding it together don’t know each other, then it doesn’t show anything – at least that is what Miyeon’s dad told her. Shuhua thanks Miyeon with a light peck on the cheek, but Miyeon turns her head at the exact same moment, making their lips touch.

« I’m sorry- »

Miyeon doesn’t get to finish her sentence. She feels the so-wanted lips on hers, more firmly this time. She feels Shuhua’s hand on her shoulder, keeping her close as if she would pull away from the kiss, but Miyeon doesn’t want to pull away. She gives more of herself to the hungry girl, responding with as much energy as she is giving her through the kiss. Miyeon can feel the sweetness of the candies Shuhua ate while opening the gifts, she loves how it mixes with her taste and lets Shuhua’s tongue explore the inside of .

Shuhua only pulls away when she is out of breath. She doesn’t look at Miyeon right away, but the older girl gently cups her chin and makes her look up. She is looking at Shuhua with nothing but kindness, her soft brown eyes are telling the younger that everything is alright.

« Shuhua, look at me. »

Shuhua timidly smiles at Miyeon. The older girl gently holds Shuhua’s face between her hands, she puts a kiss on her nose, and caresses the healthy cheeks of the younger girl. For long minutes they look at each other, dark pupils meeting soft ones. Eventually, Shuhua closes the gap between them, leaving a small kiss on the pink lips of Miyeon.

« Are you sure? Are you sure this is what you want? »

« Yes. »

« I am okay with us only being friends, Shuhua. You know that, right? »

« Yes. Yes, I know. I know, Miyeonnie. But I am sure of what I want, now. »