Chapter [8] : Sweet truth, you break my heart.

Hogwarts : The Magical Tournament

 

It turns out that Yuqi and Shuhua don’t find the answer at the library. Soyeon gives it to them as they are eating breakfast at the Gryffindor’s table one morning.

The small Gryffindor is stuffing with pancakes, while Yuqi is taking out the grapes from her fruit salad to give them to Shuhua. The two younger girls spent the past days searching for answers but came out empty handed. It is because Soyeon noticed their obvious annoyance that the two revealed the matter.

« Veela? I know those. Why you wanna know about them? Do we have a paper? I didn’t know, dammit! »

Soyeon gulps down her mouthful of pancakes to not spit more of those around the table as she has so much to say on the subject apparently. Yuqi stops putting more fruit in and Shuhua even changes place to sit next to Soyeon instead of Yuqi.

« We were just wondering about it. »

« … By staying at the library until closing time? That is not just wondering. »

Yuqi and Shuhua exchange a quick look. Soyeon doesn’t let herself be fooled so easily, even at seven in the morning. Shuhua’s face says “we should tell her the truth”, and Yuqi is saying “no, keep lying”. It lasts a few more seconds before Shuhua decides to do as she pleases.

« Yuqi told me that Minnie said Soojin was a Veela. »

« What? It is only seven, Shu. Try to make easy sentences, please. »

« Soojin is a Veela? Or Soojin has a Veela? Well, what does it mean? What is Veela? »

« Oh. Yeah. Soojin is a Veela. You didn’t know? I mean… I thought at least you knew, Yuqi. »

Yuqi squints her eyes at Soyeon; as if she is thinking really really hard, but she already knows that she doesn’t know a thing about Veela.

« Veela are human-like magical beings. Their look and especially their dance are hypnotically seductive to almost all people. They are more often than not described as incredibly beautiful women with white-golden hair and jade like green eyes. It is also said that they have their own kind of magic and do not require a wand. »

« How do you know so much about Veela? »

Soyeon doesn’t answer Yuqi, instead she takes another bite of her pancakes covered in maple syrup. Shuhua is thinking it through, but Yuqi is faster.

« Soojin is a brunette, tho. How can she be a Veela? »

« Soojin is not a pure blood Veela. She isn’t even a half Veela. She is something like a quarter or an eighth Veela. She doesn’t have as much powers as a pure blood Veela. I promise you, Veela are so attractive that it is almost impossible to look away. »

« Soojin is attractive. »

Both Soyeon and Shuhua look at Yuqi. The redhead continues to chew on her fruits, not realizing the reaction of her two friends. She finally looks up after a few seconds and as she meets their gaze, she raises an eyebrow.

« What? What did I say? »

« Nothing. »

« Well. So… Soojin is only a tiny bite Veela, then? »

« Yes. But it still has some consequences. »

« Such as? »

Shuhua is the one pulling the informations out of Soyeon’s nose, now; while Yuqi seems to be reflecting on something Soyeon said. The youngest Gryffindor wants to know more. It is the first time that she hears of such thing, and she never thought it was possible for people to be something else than human. It frightens her to know that Soojin isn’t only human.

« Well… Just like I said, Veela do not require a wand to practice magic. I think you may have noticed the way she always has hers in her scabbard. She rarely uses it, even during the Tournament, did you see how she put the jungle on fire? No wand. »

Shuhua nods, now remembering the episode. Soojin indeed set it all on fire, and as she keeps on searching, she realizes the Slytherin didn’t even once used her wand during the second task. At least she didn’t see her. But Yuqi told them about what happened at the top, and apparently she did get her wand out of the scabbard at some point. Still, it is very much impressive.

« Do you think- »

Yuqi beats Shuhua to it. Again.

« Does this mean she can also use her charms on people? You said her looks could be hypnotic. Is it the case for her? »

Soyeon clears , she even goes as far as drinking her orange juice, staling time. Yuqi on her left is waiting patiently for an answer. The redhead remembers Minnie’s words at the summit, she said Soojin was “charming her new friend”, and she can only assume Minnie was referring to her.

« I… I think she can to some extent. Obviously, unlike a pure Veela, people aren’t looking at her as they are in some kind of trance, but… I think she has some Veela charms. But… You should ask her yourself. »

« You’re right. »

Soyeon doesn’t have the time to stop Yuqi, the girl climbs over the Gryffindor’s table and walks to Soojin at the Slytherin’s table. The girl is eating her breakfast quietly with a couple of fellow Slytherins that she often hangs out with. Yuqi pushes them to be able to sit right next to Soojin.

« Are you a Veela? »

« … Hi, Yuqi. »

Soojin puts down her cup of tea and turns herself entirely to look at the Gryffindor next to her. She can already hear the voices coming from around her; a Gryffindor had the audacity to sit at Slytherin’s table. Soojin chooses to ignore them knowing they wouldn’t dare to do anything about it anyways.

« So are you one or not? »

« I am not a Veela… »

« Oh… But Soyeon said- »

« … but I do have some Veela blood in my veins. »

Soojin’s expression is hard to decipher. Yuqi isn’t very sure if she is angry or challenging her to ask more about her Veela status. The Gryffindor chooses to continue to ask more questions – true to her nature. If Soojin wants her to stop, she will say so herself.

« Is this why you weren’t affected by the volcano? Minnie and I had to find a solution to reach the top but you just walk there as if the air wasn’t burning your lungs. »

Soojin’s green eyes say it all. Yuqi understands Soojin didn’t need to protect herself because she didn’t feel the effect of the volcano to begin with. She isn’t sure if she should be impressed or worried about this new information.

« Are you… Are you using Veela magic on me? »

« Veela magic? »

Soojin seems genuinely confused by the question, still Yuqi needs to know. It so happens that she does like Soojin, and considers her both a friend and a rival. She would have hate to learn the Slytherin cheated her from the very beginning.

« Yes. Did you use your charms on me? »

Soojin takes a long moment to answer. It is an uncomfortable silence that makes Yuqi believes she is right. Soojin did use her charms on her, Soojin cheated her, Soojin has never been real to her, she-

« You mean this? »

Yuqi watches how the green eyes of the girl suddenly glow a beautiful emerald color that shines like a crystal in plain sunlight. Instinctively, she leans toward Soojin, feeling herself drawn toward her, feeling the need to touch her, and to be closer to her. The pull is impossible to resist, all of her body is responding, Soojin looks almost unreal, and it makes her want more of her.

Yuqi gets closer, obeying the strong impulse telling her to get the prize she has always desired. Now that she thinks about it, she has always wanted to feel close to Soojin, being selected as a champion is only an excused to her real goal, and now that-

« What- What- Waw! Wow! »

Soojin’s eyes are back to their usual dark green. Yuqi immediately leans away from Soojin when she realizes how close they are; way too close for it to be comfortable knowing they are only friends. She takes a minute to compose herself, she doesn’t know exactly what happened but she isn’t stupid.

« I think you have your answer. Now, if you would excuse me, I want to finish my breakfast in peace. »


« What happened over there? »

Yuqi takes back her spot next to Soyeon, but her two friends can feel something disturbed her.

« Yuqi? Yuqi? Song Yuqi! »

« I think I need a moment. »

Yuqi stands up, she grabs one last tangerine before walking out of the Great Hall. Soyeon turns toward Shuhua; to be sure she isn’t the only one fining this whole situation weird. This whole interaction with Soojin was strange nonetheless, plus she couldn’t see exactly what happened from where she was sitting and it upsets her.


Soyeon knows things are really not going well when Yuqi doesn’t sit with her for classes the entire day, and decides to eat lunch with another group of friends. Leaving Soyeon alone with Shuhua, not that it is a bad thing in itself.

Soyeon spends the entire dinner looking in Yuqi’s direction but the redhead doesn’t return a single one of her glance, acting as if she did not notice. It annoys Soyeon more than it worries her, she needs to understand what is going on in Yuqi’s brain, what happened with Soojin to put her in this state. Soyeon turns around to look at the Slytherin’s table, she searches for a girl with hair just above her shoulder, and green eyes.

She doesn’t have the time to find her. On her thigh she feels a hand looking for her attention.

« Shuhua? »

« Soyeonnie… I need to tell you something. »

Soojin is easily forgotten. She takes Shuhua’s hand in hers, interlacing their fingers naturally and squeezing three times for comfort. Shuhua’s tone worries her more than her words. She doesn’t want to pressure the younger girl, just to be sure she brings the back of her hand to Shuhua’s forehead. Shuhua gently pushes her hand away.

« What is it, Shu? You can tell me everything. »

Shuhua hasn’t been eating her food. Soyeon curses herself for not realizing. Too busy trying to get answers from Yuqi, she forgot to look after Shuhua. Has she been not eating for a long time? No. She is sure she saw her eating the grapes Yuqi were giving to her this morning. Then, it means something must have happened during the day.

« Shu, did something happen? Talk to me. »

« I am sorry I lied to you. »

Soyeon frowns. She quickly browses the options she can think of without finding any conclusive possibility about Shuhua’s lie.

« Are you sure? »

Shuhua nods, but no more words are coming out of . Soyeon gently rubs her thumb on the back of her hand to encourage her to continue. Shuhua takes a deep breath, she needs to say the words now before it is too late and it eats her all alive. She has been thinking about telling Soyeon ever since Soojin kissed her for the second time.

« I am dating Miyeon. »

Shuhua whispers it close enough to Soyeon’s ear for her to hear despite the noise of the Great Hall. She doesn’t want curious ears to eavesdrop on their conversation even if there is a safe distance between them and the others students since no one really feel comfortable enough to sit close to Soyeon.

« And Soojin kissed me. »

Soyeon’s eyes grow slightly bigger at the second information. She still feels Shuhua’s breath against her neck and assumes the younger girl isn’t done yet.

« I haven’t told Miyeon about it. »

Soyeon turns to look at Shuhua, the girl is looking back at her, waiting for her friend’s reaction. Soyeon would never react archly toward her, she knows but still she is scared to disappoint her friend. Scared Soyeon will be mad at her for not telling her the truth.

« It’s okay, Shu. It is all okay. Let’s talk about it somewhere more discreet. Hum? »

The two Gryffindors don’t wait for the end of the dinner to exit the Great Hall. Shuhua leaves first, Soyeon follows a few minutes later, and they finally sit down comfortably on Soyeon’s bed. Shuhua gladly welcomes Soyeon’s arms around her, she then finds a more comfortable position by laying on Soyeon’s laps.

« I already knew for Miyeon and you. »

« How so? »

Soyeon runs her fingers through Shuhua’s soft and long black hair. Shuhua is focusing on Soyeon’s face waiting for her next words. She feels lighter after telling her friend, but only a bit.

« It has been obvious for a while now that Miyeon likes you. But when we came back from winter break, I could feel that something was different with her. »

« Really? You noticed right away? »

Soyeon chuckles, she looks down to meet with Shuhua’s curious eyes, and smiles.

« No, I didn’t notice anything at the beginning. But after a few days, something caught my attention; she wasn’t entertaining others anymore. »

« What does that mean? »

Shuhua knows, she notices it herself, but it reassures her to hear it from Soyeon. It makes it seem more real to know that it isn’t all in her head.

« Miyeon likes to have people’s attention on her. She likes to know that people find her pretty, find her attractive, find her beautiful. But what she likes the most is to let people believe that they may have a chance with her. Even if she always ends up turning them down. »

Soyeon is telling the truth, Miyeon has always received a lot of attention for her looks and sweet personality. The Hufflepuff often gets asked on dates by both girls and boys, and gets so many love letters for her birthday and Valentines Day that she has given up trying to read them all. Yet, despite all the attention, the girl has never dated anyone at Hogwarts; she always turns down anyone asking her out to be their girlfriend.

« But now, it is different. Obviously, Miyeon still likes the attention but she doesn’t entertain people’s hope anymore. She puts them right back to their place. Just the other day, there was this Slytherin guy who is always after her, she usually lets him carry her books or even put his arm around her shoulders. This time she totally pushed him away. … You get what I am saying? »

Shuhua nods. She wonders if other people picked up on Miyeon’s behavior.

There is a silence which spreads in the room, before Shuhua lets out a long sigh. Soyeon looks down at the girl laying on her lap, her eyebrow is asking what is the matter.

« I am sorry for not telling you about Miyeon and I earlier. »

« It’s fine, Shu. Are you two now officially together? »

Shuhua can’t hide her smile. It marks her cheeks with happy lines and closes her eyes in the form or crescents. Soyeon pokes on of her cheeks finding it adorable how the younger girl reacts to the mention of Miyeon and her being together.

« I take that as a yes. Well, I am happy for you Shu. It’s good that it makes you this happy. Hum? »

« I really like Miyeon. I didn’t know that I liked her so much. It is… all very new. »

« Because you only thought of her as a friend before? »

« Yes. Well… I knew I liked her a bit more than I should… But I never thought one day we would be together. »

Soyeon finds it adorable how innocent Shuhua truly is. She can’t help herself form pinching her cheek.

« Soyeonnie? What should I do about Soojin? »

A worried crease is folding Shuhua’s forehead. Soyeon focuses on making it disappear with the tip of her fingers.

« Well… What happened exactly? »

« I told you. She kissed me. It was… the day of the second task. I ran into her in the Quad, and we talked as usual, and then she kissed me before leaving. »

« … Why didn’t you tell me when I came to get you? »

« I wanted to. But then it would have been weird with Miyeon, don’t you think? »

Soyeon nods pensively. It explains Shuhua stiffs reaction when she grabbed her hand.

« Why did she kiss you? »

« I don’t know. We hadn’t talked since the Ball, and I was avoiding her… I didn’t know what to say after the kiss. Should I tell her I am with Miyeon now? »

« Well, have you told anyone else about you and Miyeon? »

« You are the first one I am telling. I waited so long because I knew you would tell Yuqi, and well… »

Soyeon chuckles, knowing as well that their friend would maybe overact at the news of Miyeon and Shuhua being together. She continues to runs her fingers through Shuhua’s hair, as it seems to soothe the girl.

« Should I tell Miyeon about Soojin? I haven’t even told her that she kissed me at the Ball. Ah! It’s terrible, Soyeonnie. »

Shuhua rolls on the bed away from Soyeon’s touch as she voices out her worries. Now that they are taking a more signifiant shape, she feels even more terrible. She should have told Miyeon right away about what Soojin had done, and she should have told Soojin that she couldn’t kiss her anymore. Not that she ever really could…

« Shu… Shuhua? »

« Miyeon will be hurt if I tell her about Soojin. I don’t want to hurt her. »

« Shu. I am sure Miyeon will understand the situation once you explain it to her. »

Soyeon would bet her right hand on it. The Hufflepuff looks at Shuhua as if she hangs the stars in the sky, and she tends to pass everything to the girl. Soyeon isn’t much worried, but she knows Shuhua always has a hard time voicing out important things, believing the entire world might punish her if she does one wrong thing.

« Come on, Shu. I believe you should tell Miyeon as soon as you can. She will understand that you didn’t do anything wrong. Hum? »

Yes. Shuhua didn’t do anything wrong. Soojin kissed her both times. Right? Soojin stole a kiss from her both time, nothing else happened. She didn’t respond to Soojin’s kiss nor wrapped her arms around her neck when it happened.

Shuhua sighs.


Miyeon takes the news better than Shuhua expected. She needs a moment to compose herself, and seems pensive for a long minute before wrapping the young Gryffindor in her arms. She rests her cheek on top of Shuhua’s head while rubbing her back warmly. Shuhua squeezes herself closer to Miyeon.

« I am glad you told me. »

« The task and all made me forget about it for a while. But… well then I couldn’t stop thinking about it. I felt guilty… »

« It’s okay, Shuhua. Hum? It’s all okay. I will talk to Soojin about it. »

Shuhua tenses up between Miyeon’s arms. For some reasons, she doesn’t feel comfortable at the idea of Miyeon confronting Soojin about the matter. It feels very wrong even.

« Hum… I would prefer if you don’t. »

« You don’t want me to talk to Soojin? »

« I think it is better if I do it. »

Miyeon takes a deep breath, she looks longly at Shuhua, even if she knows the longer she looks at the girl, the most likely she is to do as Shuhua asks her. Eventually, she caves in. But it costs her. She isn’t blind, and she had realized a while ago that the Slytherin has been interested in her Shuhua. She never mentioned it, nor tried to confront the Slytherin, but now she realized she should have.

Soojin tried to took what was hers, and she didn’t like it one bit. But she can’t really do much right now, and she doesn’t want to make Shuhua uncomfortable. So she agrees to let the girl handle it on her own. She only asks Shuhua to tell her when she is done with it.

« Thank you, Miyeonnie. I was scared you would be pissed at me about it. »

« I could never be pissed at you for something you didn’t do. Hum? That would be unfair. »

Miyeon leaves a kiss on top of Shuhua’s head before squeezing the girl against her once again.

« Also… I told Soyeon about us. »

« Oh really? »

Miyeon’s tone is now amused. She lets her fingers play with Shuhua’s hair. So finally the young girl decided to tell her friend about them. She likes it, the idea of making it official for everyone, it would keep some people away from Shuhua.

« It is Soyeonnie who convinced me to tell you. I would have anyway… but it might would have taken more time. »

« I see. Well, I am happy you told Soyeon about us. Did you tell Yuqi as well? »

« Not yet. I know I have to, or she will be really pissed at me. »

Shuhua rests her head on Miyeon’s shoulder. It feels good to be in her arms. Even if they are more than friends now, Miyeon continues to take care of her the same way. Shuhua likes that she can rely on Miyeon the same.

« Are you coming to my room tonight? »

« Hum! I told Soyeon about it. »


Strangely enough, it seems as the news of Shuhua and Soojin having kissed made Miyeon even more eager to spend time with her girlfriend. Because that is what they are now, and Miyeon can’t help but to kiss Shuhua as the girl is spread on her bed with her long dark hair acting as a crown around her face.

« Don’t be so loud. »

Miyeon whispers her words, her breath tickles Shuhua’s jaw, and it makes her move under her girlfriend. The two girls are laying in Miyeon’s bed, still not feeling like sleeping despite having classes in the morning. The game between them is the most interesting when there is no one around, and only the stars are witnessing their discovery of each other.

« It isn’t my fault if my laugh is loud. »

« Always finding excuses. »

Miyeon’s tone is playful, teasing even. She puts down more kisses on Shuhua’s jaw. She likes it, the sharp jaw that never stops moving because the girl always has something to say. Miyeon kisses it longly, she drags her lips down to Shuhua’s ear, she slightly bites the lobe enjoying the reaction Shuhua gives her.

Miyeon searches for Shuhua’s hand, she likes to hold it, they fit well together, it is easy to interlace their fingers. She continues her exploration of Shuhua’s beautiful face. Kissing her temple, going from one to the other, she goes down to her cheeks and kisses them as well. Shuhua asks her to stop, and instead she pokes them with her nose.

« Shhh… Too loud, Shuhua. »

« You are making me laugh. »

Miyeon decides to shut up the younger girl, she kisses her lips, those sweet pink lips that always smile when she is around. She kisses them multiple times, again and again, she doesn’t think she can feel sick of it. It feels too good. Shuhua squeezes her hand, not once but continuously; Miyeon isn’t sure of what it means but it happens sometimes when they are kissing. She feels the girl under her.

« Quiet. »

« Hum… More kisses. »

« You are going to wake up everyone. »

« Just cast a soundproof spell. »

« I don’t have my wand. »

« That’s not true. Why don’t you do it? »

Shuhua starts to pout, which makes Miyeon smile even harder. There is nothing cuter than Shuhua pouting because she doesn’t get what she wants, and she loves seeing it. She puts a kiss on the rosy lips, a second one for good measure. Shuhua doesn’t stop pouting, and Miyeon feels her heart swelling in her chest. The younger girl has quite the effect on her – ever since her fifth year at Hogwarts – Miyeon has been feeling some type of way about her.

Now that it has become more serious, she can’t get enough of the girl. She lets go of Shuhua’s hand and reaches for her wand on her nightstand, she quickly casts her spell, before letting go of the wand. The curtains around Miyeon’s bed are keeping their privacy from others, and with the soundproof spell now, it is impossible to know what is happening in the bed. Except Miyeon’s roommates all know what she has been up to with Shuhua.

« Yeah! Now I can speak as loud as I want. »

« Shhh… Why are you always so loud? »

« Ouch. »

Shuhua pouts again, she feels Miyeon running her fingers on her cheek. It goes from her cheek to her nose, drawing the shape of her jaw, stopping to trace the eyebrows and endlessly taking in the beautiful face.

« You are beautiful. »

« Hum… I know. »

« You are. You are the most beautiful. »

There are other words which want to come out of Miyeon’s mouth at this moment, because her heart feels so heavy in her chest. But she doesn't say them, instead she lays down next to Shuhua and snuggles against her. Shuhua naturally wraps her arm around her and squeezes her closer. They fall asleep together, happy in the other’s arms.


Soyeon bits her lips, clearly focused on the Quidditch player flying on the pitch. Her attentive eyes are making sure the strategy is well understood by everyone and checking the substitutes are keeping their form as well. She is quite the scary Captain even more when she swings her bat next to her as if she is getting ready to strike.

The Gryffindor doesn’t hear the girl sneaking behind her, as she suddenly takes off on her broom to explain a special move to one of her teammates. It is only when she goes back to where she was before that she notices the redhead waiting for her on the grass of the pitch.

« What are you doing here? Lost your way to the library? »

« Nope. I wanted to see you for a bit. »

« You rarely come to the Quidditch pitch unless there is a match. Something important in your mind? »

They still haven’t talked about the Soojin’s incident. Soyeon has been waiting patiently for Yuqi to open up to her about it, but she was soon to run out of patience. Fortunately, the upcoming Quidditch match was keeping her busy.

« I never told you what happened with Soojin. »

« That’s not really the ideal moment, Yuqi. »

« I know. That’s why I wanted to apologize for now. And also ask you if you are available before dinner, so we can talk about it with Shuhua. I asked her already. »

« Hum… Apology accepted. See you at the tower, then. »

Yuqi smiles bigger than she did since the beginning of the week, she even quickly hugs Soyeon before disappearing form the Quidditch pitch. Soyeon rolls her eyes at her friend who is clearly not changing despite the years. To tell the truth, she is glad to know the Yuqi she met six year ago is still the same.

Obviously they both grow up, and are now teenagers. But the most important is that they never forget to apologize to each other, and understands each other even without words. Soyeon knew Yuqi needed her space, and Yuqi knew Soyeon couldn’t continue to ignore the Soojin's accident for long.

« Hey! Keep up! »

Soyeon takes off on her broom, ready to show her Seeker how to properly fly despite the intensive wind. Their training continues for another hour, after which they all hurry under the shower. Soyeon is the last one to leave the pitch as she cleans up behind everyone, and also to enjoy her shower by herself.

The small Captain of Gryffindor Quidditch team knows that she has access to the Prefect’s bathroom with her status, but she finds it easier to shower in the changing room of Gryffindor instead of going all the way to the fifth floor, especially when the stairs do everything to make her path longer.

She walks through the corridors back to the Entrance Hall where some students are hanging out. Despite the cold weather some are courageous enough to have a walk around the castle since this is kind of a lazy afternoon. Soyeon climbs the stairs back to the fourth floor and enters Gryffindor’s Tower with the password.

Some students shyly greets her on her way to her room. It happens that some of them are trying to be closer to her. She notices it happening even since the beginning of the year after her win against Hufflepuff. She answers back, not really minding before taking the stairs.

« What! How have you told Soyeon before telling me! »

« I am sorry. It just happened, I didn’t do it on purpose. Yuqi! »

Soyeon opens the door to her two roommates rolling on the floor. Shuhua is trying to get away from Yuqi as the older girl is avenging herself by tickling Shuhua’s side. Shuhua immediately hides behind Soyeon and Yuqi has to give up since she doesn’t want to risk her life tickling the Quidditch Captain.

« Soyeonnie! Yuqi is- »

« Soyeon, how could you do this to me? I thought we were a team. »

Soyeon chuckles at Yuqi defeated expression. She grabs Shuhua’s hand around her waist and walks in the room before sitting down on the floor of covers and pillows. Shuhua sits right next to her while Yuqi faces the both of them with a pout.

« Why are you making your face ugly like this? »

« I am pouting! Because you betrayed me! »

Soyeon only rolls her eyes. Yuqi eventually calms down, and Soyeon can ask her about what happened with Soojin the other day. Shuhua, sitting right next to Soyeon, becomes even more attentive. She lets go of Soyeon’s arm and focuses entirely on Yuqi’s words.

« Well I asked her if she was a Veela. Like you said Soyeon, she told me she was only part Veela. And so I asked her if she had used her charm on me. She made fun of me for this one at the beginning. »

Soyeon can’t hide her smile, but she doesn’t interrupt Yuqi.

« I asked her again, and then she did something with her eyes. They were a different kind of green. Like they were shining? And I felt strange, like I was impossibly attracted to her. I wanted to feel closer, to touch her, and I don’t know how but she stopped it. It was really strange, I suddenly felt very attracted to her, and I couldn’t look away or thing about anything else but her. »

« That’s the Veela charm. They say in books that it is almost impossible to resist. »

« Well, they are right. I felt like my mind was clouded with only thoughts of her. »

Shuhua tries to visualize what Yuqi is describing to her. But fails to do so. She can pictures Soojin’s peculiar green eyes easily; she likes them so much as they seem to be the most expressive feature of the Slytherin. Yet, she doesn’t remember them shinning in anyway, or feeling overwhelmed by the girl at this intensity.

« But… Hum. I asked her again to do it. »

« What? Really? Why? »

« I just wanted to feel it again. It is… a very unique feeling. »

Soyeon frowns as she notices the light tone of voice of the redhead and the sparkle in her eyes. She regrets ever pushing Yuqi to ask Soojin herself. She wants to curse herself as she knows how Yuqi works; once her curiosity is peaked she will go until the very end to be satisfied.


Soyeon sighs as she sits down next to Shuhua in the bleachers full of Hufflepuff. They are even more excited than during the Tournament and she even gets a few stares from wearing a Gryffindor scarf around her neck. Shuhua told her that it would be better to drop it since they are watching the match in the Hufflepuff bleachers. But Soyeon is stubborn.

Shuhua only rolls her eyes when Soyeon sits down next to her, she is too busy whispering things into Miyeon’s ear. Since the end of January, Shuhua and Miyeon has been showing more and more publicly their relationship. Not that Soyeon has anything to complain about. But she hears things in the corridors of the castle, and she can’t help feeling upset at some of the words she hears.

Miyeon’s arm is around Shuhua’s shoulder, pressing the younger girl against her side before quickly leaving a kiss under her jaw. Shuhua smiles at her girlfriend, completely unaware of the world around her as she is bathing in Miyeon’s warmth.

« You both aware that the match is in front of you, right? »

« Hello, Soyeon. Happy that you joined us. »

« Hum. Would love if you two could keep it light. »

« Why are you so grumpy, Soyeonnie? Isn’t Yuqi with you? »

Shuhua turns to look at Soyeon on her right, clearly not expecting Soyeon’s answer at all. Even Miyeon flinches when she hears it.

« She decided to watch the match with Soojin. »

Apparently the Gryffindor and the Slytherin have been bounding lately. Shuhua believes it is about the Tournament but Soyeon knows there is something else. Yuqi hasn’t been the same ever since she discovered Soojin’s Veela abilities. She dislikes this new found interest for the Slytherin a lot, and she keeps cursing herself for being the one having pushed her in the arms of the girl.

« That’s unexpected. Yuqi always watch the game with us. »

Which is true. But more importantly Miyeon believes it is a good thing that Soojin’s interest is on someone who isn’t her girlfriend. The Hufflepuff quickly takes Shuhua’s attention back to her by squeezing her closer to her chest. Shuhua watches the game halfway on Miyeon’s lap, and Soyeon keeps on rolling her eyes every time she catches the sight of the two.

Hufflepuff Quidditch team fights hard against Slytherin, making the supporters hold their breath until the very end of the game. Slytherin’s team, personally trained by Soojin shows all the talent and qualities of the ex-player. Soyeon appreciates how their strategy evolves during the game, adapting itself to each and every move of the Hufflepuff team.

With her binoculars she searches for Soojin in the bleachers and finds her between Yuqi and Minnie. She is seemingly showing something to Yuqi who appears very interested as she is leaning toward Soojin to hear her better. Soyeon puts her attention back on the game, the sight of the two together is making her rage arise.

Still, she can’t help but to check on Soojin and Yuqi every few minutes. It annoys her more every time she sees them. Yuqi has her hand on Soojin’s forearm at some point and she almost throws her binoculars away. She misses an extraordinary bat movement from one of Hufflepuff’s Beaters, making Shuhua suspicious as she doesn’t hear any commentary from Soyeon next to her.

« Are you not watching the game? George just stopped a goal with a Buldger. That’s one of your movs! »

« Hum. Good. »

Shuhua turns fully toward Soyeon as the answer doesn’t satisfy her. That’s not like her friend at all. The small Gryffindor is a huge fan of Quidditch, she knows all of the teams, and can talk about Quidditch for hours. Shuhua both hates and loves hearing her ramble about players and strategies.

« What’s going on? »

« Nothing. I got something in my eyes and missed it. Can you check if it is gone? »

Miyeon complains when Shuhua leaves her side to inspect Soyeon’s eyes, but quickly shuts up when she feels a kiss on her cheek. Soyeon next to them swears under her breath at the sight but Shuhua acts as if she did not understand anything.

In the end, Hufflepuff wins; only because Slytherin’s Seeker got hit by a Buldger giving Hufflepuff’s the opportunity to catch the Golden Snitch. Soyeon rises with Hufflepuff at the win, and even lets Shuhua and Miyeon hug her out of euphoria. Others students shyly try to get Soyeon to cheer with them and the Gryffindor lets herself into the mood of celebration for a moment. It disappears when she catches Yuqi comforting Soojin.


Soojin lets Yuqi wrap her arms Soojin’s shoulders trying to comfort her about Slytherin losing to Hufflepuff. Minnie next to them finds amusement in her friend’s extreme reaction to Slytherin losing the game. Soojin has always taken Quidditch very seriously, and she knows the girl will most likely whine about it for days. But still, it isn’t as bad as when she used to be part of the team.

The three champions walk back to the castle, Yuqi between the two seventh year is in a rather good mood as they got a the good idea of trying to figure out what would be the next task by using Divination. Minnie is quite skillful at it, and it is even her who proposed the idea; ever since she started Divination in third year she has been showing quite the natural abilities for it.

The trio separates from the crowd of students going back to the castle and uses the Training Grounds to make their way to the higher floors before taking the corridor leading to the North Tower where the Divination classroom is situated. Minnie enters the classroom without hesitation and invites the two other girls to sit down with her at one of the tables.

« Wow! I never went there before! That’s so … interesting? »

Yuqi who has chosen Care of Magical Creatures and Studies of Ancient Runes as electives classes, not finding any interest into Divination, has never set a foot into the classroom before. She can’t help her curious self from looking around, trying to touch everything that tickles her interest. Soojin stops her right before she trips over one of the many carpets laid down on the floor.

« Careful here. »

Yuqi smiles thankfully at the girl who leads her back toward Minnie. The three of them sit down around a round table with a crystal orb in the middle. Yuqi can’t help herself from wanting to touch it, but Minnie slaps her hand away before she does. Soojin hides her amusement behind her hair, but Yuqi notices it anyway.

« Okay. Now, let’s all take a deep breath. »

Minnie breathes in and out before requesting for the three of them to hold hands around the table. Yuqi’s hand is smaller than she expected in her grasp. Soojin’s hand on the contrary is the same as usual, warm, comforting and assured; she wishes she could hold it more often. As the three of them are now connected, Minnie focuses on the crystal orb in front of her.

For a moment, she doesn’t see anything. She tries to relax more, letting the calm be one with her body. Finally she sees it taking form inside the orb, slowly it is appearing to her, more distinct every second, until she sees it.

« The Great Lake. »

« The Great Lake? How do you know it is not just a random lake? »

« I can see the reflection of the castle on the water. »

Minnie focuses again, hoping something else will show up, giving them more clues concerning the third task. She watches for something but she only sees the tranquil water of the lake before the crystal orb becomes unclear and a white fog clouds it. Minnie drops Yuqi and Soojin’s hands.

« I could only see the Great Lake. »

Yuqi leans her chin in her hand, the Gryffindor’s brain is working at full capacity, finding it impossible to leave out something not understood.

« If we think about it… the second task ended with a drop in a pound. Isn’t it quite fitting for the next one to be in a lake? »

« So Ravenclaw, Gryffindor, and now Slytherin? »

Yuqi frowns, she runs a hand through her red locks while trying to make sense of it all. Even if it seems all obvious, she thinks there is a bigger picture they might been missing but she can’t seem to put her finger on it.

« So… The last task would Hufflepuff? »

« That would make a lot of sense since they are the one deciding on the winner. »

Yuqi nods to Minnie’s words. There is a certain joy she fails to hide as she enjoys how her thoughts and Minnie’s keep on rebounding against each other. It is to the point that she almost fails to notice that Soojin has been awfully quiet the whole time. Yuqi turns toward the Slytherin, she searches for her gaze, but the girl seems deep in thoughts.

« The griffin, the volcano and the lake. »

Yuqi tries to understand the point that Soojin is slowly making but she loses her train her thought when she realizes that she is still holding hand with the Slytherin girl. Her gaze falls on their joint hands, Soojin’s thumb is even rubbing the back of her hand but the other girl does not seem to notice what she is doing.

« Hum… Maybe we will have more clue about the last task after we complete the third one. »

Soojin and Yuqi nod at Minnie’s wise words. The Ravenclaw puts an end to the impromptu meeting as she already has plans with some other people. Soojin gives her a look knowing very well what her friend is up to, but Minnie waves it off saying she is only wants to have some fun.

It leaves Yuqi and Soojin alone in the Divination classroom. Yuqi immediately takes back her hand once Minnie is gone. Soojin seems surprised by her action, but it is only because she hadn’t realize until now that they were still holding hands. Soojin looks longly at her own hand before looking up to meet with Yuqi’s eyes.

« You are quite the interesting one, Yuqi. »

Yuqi raises an eyebrow. But Soojin doesn’t provide more to her statement.


Shuhua picks the worst possible day to have a talk with Soojin. The Gryffindor ran into her on her way out of the Gryffindor’s Tower and decided it was now or never. She walked to the girl and asked her it was possible for them to talk for a bit before class. Soojin suggested the disused bathroom of the sixth floor to talk privately as she sensed Shuhua’s nervousness from her unfocused eyes.

Shuhua doesn’t know if it is better to be alone with Soojin in a room than to do this in the corridors where everyone can hear and see them. Still, she has to do it, she knows it is important to make things clear with the Slytherin girl. She takes a deep breath to steady herself, and looks at Soojin who is patiently waiting for her to talk.

Soojin gives her a small smile, encouraging her to say what seems to be troubling her. Shuhua notes how her hair seems for once properly brushed and how her skirt uniform is properly adjusted, she even has a pin attached to her work robe. But it isn’t the point, she has things to say to the girl. Important things.

« Before the second task… you… kissed me, right? Well… you can’t do that like that. »

Soojin is surprised. Not really the conversation she expected to have with Shuhua on Valentine’s Day. If anything, seeing how nervous the girl was, she really thought she had some other news for her.

« I am sorry. I should have asked before kissing you like that. I just thought it would bring me luck. »

Soojin gives Shuhua a shy smile, embarrassed to hear herself say such cheesy things. But it is only Shuhua in front of her, and the Gryffindor isn’t the type to make fun of people. Soojin takes a breath to calm herself down.

« It is fine now. It is just that you can’t do that. It is not okay. »

« Oh… Well, you are right. We haven’t done things properly. We never talked about the Ball. »

Shuhua looks away as the memory of the Ball comes back at full force. The intense feelings which exploded in her stomach, the goosebumps on her skin and the bruised lips. She thought she had forgotten this intense memory, but her cheeks turning to red say the contrary.

« It was a one time thing. »

« One time thing? »

Soojin’s feelings are hurt, she still can see Shuhua’s brown eyes full of stars looking back at her after they kissed. They didn’t talk, but she felt the silent connection between them this night. She walks closer to Shuhua, and cups her cheek to make the girl look at her.

« I felt something when we kissed. It can’t be a one time thing. »

Shuhua would be lying if she says she regrets it, because she doesn’t. But the reality of today is that she is in a relationship with someone else. Someone she likes a lot. Unfortunately, as much as her kiss with Soojin was intense, she can not give her more.

« Shuhua. Don’t lie to me. »

Soojin is face is so close to her, her beautiful green eyes are showing the vulnerability of the girl, and Shuhua doesn’t know how to defend herself. She feels Soojin’s thumb gently caressing her cheek, and she uses all of her willpower not to lean into the touch.

« I am not lying. I don’t regret it. But it can’t happen anymore… because I am dating someone, now. »

Soojin’s green eyes shake out of despair. Shuhua grabs Soojin’s wrist, keeping her hand on her cheek. The Slytherin breathes hard through her nose, the air she is releasing hitting Shuhua’s lips.

« I wanted to tell you without hurting your feelings. »

« Who? Who are you dating? »

« Miyeon. »

Shuhua smiles as she mentions her girlfriend’s name. Soojin only nods, she has heard the rumors about the two being more than friends, but she only thought them to be rumors. Miyeon and Shuhua have always been very close physically and she really thought she had her chances with the young Gryffindor. She should have talked to Shuhua right after the winter break instead of waiting. She should have made her feelings more clear for the girl.

Instead, she waited for a sign from the girl. She just didn’t know what to do, or what to say after they kissed. Even after the winter break, she didn’t try to have a talk with the girl, or anything. Shuhua avoided her, and she didn’t try further. She thought Shuhua needed time to think about it all. Apparently, Shuhua was busy falling in someone else’s arms.

« I see. I… I understand. »

Shuhua feels how disappointed Soojin is, she can’t help it and gently brings her close to her for a hug. She feels Soojin’s arms around her thin frame, and she can’t help the sigh when Soojin’s squeezes her. The Slytherin is actually one to enjoy physical contact more than people would expect. She takes in Shuhua’s peach-like smell before letting go of the girl.

Shuhua doesn’t completely let go of Soojin. She keeps her close enough to feel her breath on her lips as they look in each other eyes. Brown meeting green. Again. Cherry red meeting pink, now. Shuhua closes her eyes she grips Soojin’s white shirt to prevent her from pulling away. Soojin lets her fingers tangle with Shuhua’s black locks.


Minnie opens her eyes in surprise and forces a smile on her lips when she learns Miyeon is now dating Shuhua. Miyeon is so happy to tell her about it. The Ravenclaw believes she should have seen it coming as the Hufflepuff was in such an upbeat mood those last days, but she thought it was thanks to the Quidditch game since Miyeon is a big fan of this sport.

Minnie orders another round of butterbeer for herself; the strongest degree of butterbeer they have at the Three Broomsticks. Miyeon, in front of her, is still telling her about Shuhua and how happy she is to have their relationship become official. The girl seems to be unable to stop smiling, and her soft brown eyes hold a special sparkle that only comes to the light when Shuhua’s name is mentioned.

« I think that’s great, Miyeon. Shuhua is very lucky to have someone as sweet and beautiful as you. »

« Yeah… Shuhua is beautiful and sweet. You are right. »

Minnie sighs, it is painful to realize that she never stood a chance with Miyeon to begin with, and all of their dates in Hogsmeade were only friendly moments for the Hufflepuff. Miyeon always mentions Shuhua here and there in their conversation, and even then, she thought she had her chances. Looking back, Miyeon never gave a single hint that Minnie could expect more with her, and Minnie was a fool for ever believing it.

It isn’t truly her fault if she thought Miyeon could be the one. The girl was pretty and sweet, with just the right amount of teasing when she was in a good mood. She is a skillful wizard with good grades, and Minnie likes how she is never scared to disagree with her. Her eyes can be challenging, and most importantly she knows how to make people do exactly as she wishes. Minnie likes Miyeon for all of those qualities, and she thought that with time maybe some feelings would eventually grow between them.

Except Miyeon always had her heart full with someone else, and Minnie only got interested in Miyeon because she could rival with Soojin on many levels. In the end it has always been bound to fail between them. It doesn’t make it easier for Minnie to accept.

« I think I will head out. See you around, Miyeon. »


Miyeon finds herself alone at the Three Broomsticks, her glass still full of butterbeer. She doesn’t mind being alone for a moment, she knows someone will likely come to her in a few minutes anyway. It doesn’t miss, and a Ravenclaw boy who often gives her long look around the castle takes Minnie’s spot.

« Hi- »

The boy doesn’t have the time to say more, a firm hand grabs his sweater and pulls him out of the booth. Miyeon is now facing a Gryffindor girl with wavy red locks and freckles all over her nose and cheeks. She raises an eyebrow at the brutal show of strength but the girl doesn’t seem impressed.

« It is a serious matter. »

Miyeon nods, finding interesting the flame in the reddish pupils looking intensely at her. She realizes she might have never paid this much attention to the Gryffindor girl before.

« I know about you and Shuhua. I have nothing against it. It is great, Shuhua is happy, you are happy. Amazing. But be careful, Cho Miyeon. If you ever hurt or fail to protect Shuhua, I will find you and no money of you would ever be able to make things right for you ever again. You hear me? I am watching you. »

Miyeon nods to Yuqi’s threat. Her eyes not leaving the pull of fire of the younger girl. It takes her a bit by surprise, she really thought Soyeon would be the one threatening her, but it seems that Yuqi is the one she should be careful of. After all, the young Gryffindor is fighting Hogwarts two best students in a Tournament; she decides to take Yuqi’s words seriously.

« You have my words. I will protect Shuhua, and I will never hurt her. »

« Good. Now… »

Yuqi leans back in the comfortable booth, and an innocent smile lights up her features. Miyeon swallows away what just happened and takes another sip of her butterbeer.

« Did you like your Valentines gift? I helped Shuhua choose it! »

 

 


Hello!

Time sure goes by fast! I didn't realize and it has been a month since I last updated this story. Well, now an update has been made! The truth has come out for those needing it! We can all be happy about Miyeon and Shuhua's relationship! Look at them proudly telling everyone and being adorable together! Aren't they adorable?

And look at Soyeon and Yuqi very happy for their cutest friend! Look at Soojin and Minnie- hum... no. Let's not take them as an example. ... Miyeon and Shuhua, yeah!