Chapter [9] : Distateful Conversations

Hogwarts : The Magical Tournament

 

« It isn’t the end of magic. Come on, I will help you. »

« Can you? »

« Yeah! »

« I am wondering since you haven’t been around a lot those days. »

« Come on, Soyeon! You know I will always have time for you, right? »

« Hum… »

Inside Soyeon is beaming, Yuqi’s affirmative words making her feel warm inside. Yet, she doesn’t show any of it to her friend and focuses on her half-eaten plate in front of her.

The food seems to taste better than usual, and even the weather seems nicer than yesterday. Actually, ever since their Defense Against the Dark Arts class, where Yuqi and her spent the entire time chatting, and not following the lesson, Soyeon has been feeling on a little cloud of happiness. Even if they ended up having to write two rolls of parchment on the three unforgivable curses because of their behavior.

The thing is, the punishment seems impossible to fit into her schedule when there is a Gryffindor Quidditch match next week. They are affronting Ravenclaw who won their previous match against Slytherin, meaning they can’t afford to lose if they want to win the Cup.

« Don’t you have the Tournament to worry about? »

« Well… We kinda already have this figured out. »

« We? »

« Yes! Soojin, Minnie and I. We know it will happen in the Great Lake. So… There is nothing much we can do about it, you know. »

« Oh. Is that what you have been up to? »

« Kinda. I know you have been busy with Quidditch on your end. This is why I will cheer for you harder than anyone next weekend! »

Soyeon can’t help the blush appearing on her cheeks. The look Yuqi is giving her is so pure and honest, and her smile so bright, she has to look away for a moment. Yuqi slides on the bench even closer to Soyeon and bumps their head against each other.

It surprises their bounding moment when Shuhua lets herself down on the bench on the other side of the table rather than next to them like she usually does. Shuhua doesn’t say a word as she starts to put meat and vegetables in her plate. Soyeon and Yuqi exchange a knowing look.

« Is everything okay, Shuhua? »

« … I got detention. »

« What? »

« How so? »

It comes as a surprise to the two friends as Shuhua isn’t the type of person to get in trouble. Except when she is with Soyeon and Yuqi, in this case she is only guilty of following her troublemaker friends.

« … Oh, well. … I… »

Shuhua starts to play around with her vegetables, her mind searching for the right words, which only make the two other Gryffindors more worried.

« Is this something bad? »

« No, no, no. I… I was just wearing the wrong tie. »

Soyeon raises an eyebrow. It isn’t the kind of mistake that get you detention. But it did happen to Soyeon to loose a few points over a uniform not-properly put on.

« A Prefect caught me before I realized. Now I have to see Mrs. Vera in her office after dinner to explain the situation. »

« Seriously? It isn’t even that big of a deal. »

« That is what I tried to tell the Prefect, but then a Head Boy came and made it worse. »

Soyeon grits her teeth when she connects the dots.

« Let me guess, they were both Slytherin? »

Shuhua nods timidly, making Soyeon even angrier. Her eyes shot toward the Slytherin table. Those evil snakes always find a way to bother Shuhua, especially when she does something wrong, they make it seem even bigger just because it is Shuhua. It doesn’t happen so often as it used to be as Shuhua adapted to most of the rules at Hogwarts and the wizard culture.

« Don’t get involve, it will make it even worse. I will see Mrs. Vera and that’s it. »

« But that is unfair, Shuhua. They are abusing their power. »

« It isn’t that big of a deal, Soyeon. Plus, I am sure Mrs. Vera will understand. »

Soyeon sighs before dropping it like Shuhua asks her. Yuqi who has been quiet until then finally speaks out.

« Can we go back to what tie you were wearing instead of yours? »

Shuhua looks at her food for a moment.

« I mixed up mine and Miyeon’s this morning… I was going to be late for class and in the hurry… It happened. »

It can be understood since Gryffindor’s tie is scarlet and gold and Hufflepuff’s is yellow and black. In her morning haze, Shuhua just grabbed it because it was yellow.

« What did Miyeon and you did last night for you to wake up late? »

Shuhua turns red. Yuqi receives a blow in her ribs from Soyeon for her question.

Soyeon is very protective of Shuhua, and she doesn’t like that Yuqi is embarrassing the younger girl this way. But Yuqi is serious, and there is no trace of playfulness on her face.

« Shuhua will be more careful next time. »

« Miyeon will hear from me next time. She better keep her hands for herself. »

« Yuqi! »

« It wasn’t like that… »

« Oh, it better not be! You are barely fifteen! I swear if I catch this Hufflepuff- »

« Yuqi! Enough! »

Soyeon has her hand over Yuqi’s mouth to stop her from embarrassing Shuhua even more. Shuhua looks anxiously behind her in direction of Miyeon’s table where the girl is sitting between her fellow Hufflepuff friends. Somehow, the older girl looks in Shuhua’s direction at this exact moment and she gives her girlfriend a beautiful smile.

 


 

Shuhua’s day finishes on a sweeter note than it started. Literally. She stabilizes herself on top of Miyeon’s lap by squeezing her thighs so she doesn't fall on the wooden floor of the library. She grips Miyeon’s shoulder harder when she feels her girlfriend’s hands under her skirt and on her thighs. Miyeon’s hands behave, not crawling higher but it is enough to make Shuhua’s skin on fire and accelerate her heartbeat.

Miyeon bites Shuhua’s lower lip, making the girl moan into their kiss. It is almost overwhelming to feel so much of Miyeon against her and she sinks deeper on her lap. She loves their making out session hidden in the library between two gigantic shelves of books.

Shuhua pulls on Miyeon’s hair tie to free her hair and runs her fingers through the soft locks messing them up. Miyeon’s hand under Shuhua’s skirt squeezes her thighs, and Shuhua pulls away from her lips. Miyeon attacks Shuhua’s neck with kisses and small bites.

Shuhua tries to conceal her moan by biting her lips, after all the library is still opened and students are working a few bookshelves away from them. The chair they are using is cracking on beat with Shuhua’s rocking. With her legs spread on each side of Miyeon, her position leaves no doubt on what the two are actually doing.

« Don’t move. I think someone is coming this way. »

Miyeon wraps one arm around Shuhua’s waist to keep her steady as they wait to hear if the footsteps are getting closer or not. Shuhua tries to get off Miyeon’s lap, scared to be caught by the librarian of all people and getting in even more trouble than she already is. Miyeon refuses to let go of her, enjoying too much the weight of Shuhua’s warm body on top of her.

The steps stop before reaching them and Miyeon chuckles against Shuhua’s neck when she sees her girlfriend’s worried face. She puts a quick kiss on the available skin.

« Don’t worry so much. I would have make them forget what they saw, anyway. »

« We should find another spot. I don’t want to be caught by a student or even worse the librarian. »

Shuhua moves off Miyeon’s lap to her girlfriend’s pity. She does her best making herself look proper by putting her shirt back in her skirt and straightening the material of the skirt. Miyeon admires her from her spot, she easily notices her own lipstick stains on her neck and lips. She likes the idea of people knowing Shuhua had an intense make out session.

« I have to borrow a book before leaving, too. Yuqi asked me to bring her an exemplar of “Veelas and Sirens: Sister of a different mother?” »

« Is she researching on the subject? There are better books for human like species. »

Shuhua puts her hair back in order by using the reflection of a nearby window. Miyeon finally decides to help her girlfriend; she just wanted to enjoy the disheveled look on her girlfriend a bit more. Thanks to a light hit of Miyeon’s wand on Shuhua’s clothes and head, the younger girl looks proper again, except for the collar of her shirt where a faint trace of Miyeon’s lipstick can be spotted if you look close enough.

« It is more… curiosity. Ever since we learned Soojin is a Veela, she has been researching the subject. »

« Oh! Really? »

Shuhua’s revelation takes Miyeon by surprise, making her stop in the middle of her steps. Even if the need to make sense of the new information is strong, she uses all of her will power to push it to the side for later.

« Hum… Yuqi told me I should find it over there. Come? »

Shuhua holds out her hand for Miyeon to grab. The cuteness of her girlfriend makes her smile almost automatically. She follows Shuhua around the shelves while rubbing the back of Shuhua’s hand with her thumb and looking at the younger girl with heart eyes as she is searches for the book Yuqi asked for.

Once Shuhua gets the book, Miyeon walks her back to the Gryffindor Tower. She has a hard time letting go of Shuhua and gives her a long last kiss. Now that they have decided to officialize their relationship to everyone, Miyeon never misses an occasion to show affection to her girlfriend in public. Shuhua playfully pushes Miyeon away when she tries to put another kiss on her cheek and a Gryffindor boy run into a wall while watching them.

Unlike what Shuhua expected, the news of Miyeon and her dating didn’t cause the end of her world. It only made people more curious about her. Especially those who have tried their luck with Miyeon in the past and got rejected. They are curious on what Shuhua has that they lack of.

« I will see you after dinner? »

« Hum… Mrs. Vera wants to see me after dinner. We can see each other after classes, tomorrow? I will be in the Study Area with Yuqi and Soyeon. »

Miyeon agrees happily, she leaves one last kiss on Shuhua’s lips and walks back toward the Hufflepuff Basement.

 


 

Shuhua enters the Gryffindor’s common room to find Yuqi and Soyeon talking animatedly next to the fire. She silently hands Yuqi the book she asked for, and Soyeon frowns at the sight but doesn’t comment on it. She would have hoped for Yuqi’s Veela obsession to be over by now, but apparently she is still hooked on the subject.

« You have something on- »

Shuhua quickly pushes Yuqi’s curious hand away from her collar and takes a few steps back. She puts her hair back in place hoping her two friends would stop looking at her this way. She doesn’t know why but she suddenly feels embarrassed that her friends know about her and Miyeon’s activities.

« Miyeon did this? »

Shuhua doesn’t respond, shifting awkwardly in front of her two friends.

« I am going to talk to her. »

« No! You won’t. »

Shuhua’s sudden shout takes Yuqi by surprise.

« Miyeon is my girlfriend, and she isn’t forcing me – if that is what you are worrying about. She never forced me to anything. »

Shuhua’s eyes are wet, threatening to let tears down. Soyeon immediately raises from the couch and guides Shuhua toward their rooms. Yuqi follows them a moment later, knowing Soyeon would come and get her sooner or later.

Shuhua lets her tears fall the second she enters her room. Soyeon is quick to embrace her in a warm hug. She tries to calm down the younger girl, but she stops when Yuqi enters the room.

« Really, Yuqi? Are you proud of yourself? »

« What? I am only looking out for Shuhua. »

« Oh really? That is how you call it? You made her cry! »

« I am sorry. I didn’t mean to make you cry, Shuhua. »

Yuqi approaches Shuhua and Soyeon but Soyeon’s glare stops her on her tracks.

« … Miyeon is older than you, Shuhua. And I know that you really like her, I am not doubting your feelings for her. The thing is I don’t want you to do things you don’t feel comfortable doing. Maybe Miyeon will want things that you don’t feel ready to give her yet, and I don’t want you to feel forced to give it to her. Because she is older. Or because she used to be your friend before you started to date.

You never dated anyone before Miyeon. One month ago, you couldn’t choose between Miyeon and Soojin. You thought you liked them both. I don’t know what decided you but I am scared you two are going too fast together. I just want you to be okay. I don’t want you to get hurt, Shuhua. … I didn’t mean to make you cry, earlier. I am sorry. »

There is a long silence in the room. Yuqi’s words slowly making their way into Shuhua’s heart. The weight of her actions feeling heavier inside her chest, she tries to swallow it all. Her stomach feels fuzzy because of the tempest of emotions happening inside. It seems to calm down when she feels Yuqi hugging her and Soyeon in silence. With her face still hidden in Soyeon’s neck she misses the way her two friends look at each other.

 


 

The situation between Shuhua and Yuqi calms down. To close the chapter, the three roommates sleep all together with Yuqi cuddling against Shuhua the entire night.

Soyeon breathes out the unneeded worry and spends the entire week focused on the upcoming Quidditch match. Yuqi keeps her words, and helps her with her DADA rolls of parchment. Shuhua waits for her in the common room after every Quidditch practices with Chocolate Frogs and tangerines – Soyeon has no idea how she manages to find those tangerines but she is very grateful. And by the blink of an eye they find themselves to be Saturday.

Soyeon and Yuqi’s relationship seems to have shifted so much ever since the beginning of the year, and they no longer seem to dive into the benefit part of their friendship anymore. Instead, Soyeon has found out that drawing random patterns on Shuhua’s skin is greatly helping her relax before the match.

This is why before joining her team in the changing rooms, she goes to find Shuhua and awkwardly reaches out to squeeze her hand, even if what she truly wants is to give a hug to the girl. Fortunately for her, Yuqi squeezes them all in a bone crushing hug while giving her last cheering encouragements to her friend.

It is a confident Soyeon who advances on the pitch, her broom in hand and her teammates behind her. She is confident in her skills, and in her teammates abilities. Their training has been demeaning but she knows it will be effective. Today, they will win this game.

Soyeon can feel the harsh wind of winter already entering in her skin despite her uniform. Her eyes dart toward the bleachers and she easily spots Shuhua and Yuqi holding up a large sign above their head. “Super Soyeon” can be read in scarlet letters. Miyeon is here as well, right next to Shuhua, also helping to hold the sign up. It makes Soyeon feel warmer already.

The referee blows their whistle and Soyeon immediately kicks off the ground on her broom. She is already in place, her bat hanging from her right hand while she maps out the Ravenclaw formation. Their team is mainly composed of last year students and it is almost unfair how good they are. They haven’t lost a single match in four years, and Soyeon can feel the bitterness of the previous year’s lost on her tongue. Gryffindor was only ten points away from winning the Cup.

Her eyes immediately catch the Buldger coming toward her Chaser and she flies right on time to hit it away, but the strength put in the Buldger is so that she is almost scared it will tear off her arms. The cold weather doesn’t make the match any easier, and Gryffindor quickly finds themselves in difficulty. Soyeon has to put so much strength into her bat that she worries she won’t be able to last until the end. Still, she fights like a lion, screaming her orders and encouragement continuously while keeping the Buldger away from her teammates.

« Emma! It is your turn to shine! »

Soyeon has spotted the Golden Snitch, a few seconds before the two Seekers, and it is now a race for victory for the public’s delight.

Soyeon greets her teeth. Her shoulders are killing her, and her bat seems to be as heavy as a tree in her hands. She continues to fly around the pitch, but her speed as decreased significantly since the beginning of the match. She bites her lips almost to the blood when she isn’t fast enough and her Keeper takes a Buldger right on the shoulder.

She searches for the Golden Snitch, hoping Emma is close to catch it, which would make them win the match. At the same moment, a Ravenclaw Beater swings his bat strongly and misses his original aim, only for the Buldger to hit Soyeon right on the head. The already exhausted and small Captain faints on the spot.

« Captain! »

The desperate scream gets Ravenclaw Captain’s attention, who races toward Soyeon and catches her before she can hit the ground. The blow seems to have been so strong the girl passed out on the spot. Fortunately, the Nurse immediately gets to her as they land and she escorts them toward the Hospital Wing of the castle.

The end of the match is pure chaos. Students are screaming to the teachers to end it since both Captain are missing, while others want it to continue until the Golden Snitch is caught since a player is missing on both side anyway. In the end, the Headmaster decides to forfeit the match and orders everyone back to the castle without causing any incident. But it doesn’t go as wanted, and the Head of House have to separate their students into their respective House before escorting them to their common room.

 


 

Yuqi jumps in surprise when she feels a hand around her wrist. She had lost Shuhua in the crowd and has been looking for her ever since but the younger seems to have found her first. The young Gryffindor leads her away from the crowd and into the toilets of the second floor.

« It would be too risky to use the stairs. »

Shuhua opens the windows and climbs over the frame. Yuqi rushes to stop her.

« What are you doing? »

« We have to get to the Hospital Wing! And with the chaos which happened in the bleachers, they won’t let us out of the common room for a while now. I am worried for Soyeonnie, and I know you are too, so let’s go. »

Shuhua starts to climb down the wall of the castle. It is fairly easy as the many architectural decorations make amazing climbing holds. Quickly enough, Shuhua is down in the grass of the clear ground facing the Great Lake.

Yuqi is still at the window of the toilets, hesitating to go down.

« Come on, Yuqi! Before Mrs. Vera starts to search for us. And you know she will! She knows we will look for Soyeon! »

Yuqi nods to herself and climbs the window frame just like Shuhua did. She tells herself that she did so much worse during the Tournament, but here she had her wand in hand, and somehow knowing she had magic to help her is really comforting. She curses herself for not taking her wand with her this morning as she continues her way down the wall.

« You are almost here, Yuqi! Come on! »

Yuqi really admires her friend. Whether or not she has magic to rely on, Shuhua is fearless. After all, the girl has been raised among Muggles, and only practices her magic when she is at Hogwarts. When comes the holidays, she goes back to her Muggle life, and so she sees the world through different eyes than Yuqi or Soyeon.

« You did well! Come on. »

Yuqi doesn’t have the time to enjoy the ground under her feet, Shuhua is already pulling her around the castle while crouching down so they won’t get noticed by the potential teachers and ghosts walking around. The huge windows offering a beautiful view of the immense domain of the school are more of a curse right now, but the two friends have enough experience sneaking around to make their way to the Hospital Wing without too much trouble.

Yuqi almost does the mistake of using the main door, but Shuhua catches her on time and instead pushes them into a closet nearby.

« I can’t see! »

« Quiet! We don’t know if there isn’t someone else than Soyeon inside. »

Yuqi can only nod at her friend’s brilliant observation.

« What are you doing? »

Shuhua is walking around the closet, but Yuqi can’t see what she is doing.

« Searching for a door. »

« A door? »

« Yes. There should be a secret passage somewhere, but I can’t find the door. »

Yuqi scolds herself for underestimating Shuhua, the younger girl is clearly both capable in the Muggle world and in the Wizarding world. She finally finds it, and tells Yuqi to follow her. They walk through a weird smelling corridor, before entering the Infirmary where Soyeon is resting.

They seem to have walk all the other way as they can see in front of them the entrance door usually used. Yuqi spots Ravenclaw’s Captain Remy sitting on the chair near Soyeon’s bed. Mrs. Vera and Mrs. Juny are here as well, and seem to be in a serious conversation, but from where they are standing neither Yuqi nor Shuhua can hear what they are saying.

« Do you think it is serious? »

Yuqi looks at Shuhua next to her, she suddenly seems very worried about their friend as her voice broke at the end of her sentence. Yuqi puts her arm around her shoulders.

« I am sure she will be okay. »

Shuhua nods slowly.

A few minutes later, a Gryffindor Prefect enters the room, he says something to Mrs. Vera who immediately follows him out of the Infirmary. Mrs. Juny exchanges a word with Remy before leaving as well. Yuqi and Shuhua wait a minute before emerging from their hidden spot and walking to Soyeon’s bed.

« I knew you would come. »

Remy chuckles at the guilty smile the two Gryffindors offer him. It is well known that is Soyeon is somewhere, Yuqi is generally not too far away.

« The Nurse gave her some Wizard Form and Strength Potion. She said she will be okay, just a strong blow on the head. It should be painful for a while, but otherwise nothing concerning. »

« Thank you for catching her. »

Remy can’t stop looking at Yuqi. Her brown eyes are so genuinely grateful it is breathtaking. And maybe, he also has a thing for Yuqi to begin with.

« I… I only did the right thing. It wouldn’t have been fair to keep on playing in those conditions. Even if the match has been forfeit… »

Shuhua tells herself that she doesn’t want to be the one announcing to Soyeon the news, she knows the girl will be furious about it.

« Well… I will leave you two to her. … Be careful, the Prefect from earlier told Mrs. Vera you two were missing. »

Yuqi and Shuhua exchange a knowing look before thanking Remy. Shuhua can’t help herself from inspecting Soyeon’s wound. There is a blueish circle on her temple the size of an orange. It looks painful.

« Soyeon is so going to go feral when she learn the match has been forfeit. »

« And you two will come to my office right now! »

The two Gryffindors jump in surprise when they hear their Head of House’s voice behind them. They are screwed.

 


 

The bitter end of the Ravenclaw and Gryffindor Quidditch game is the talk of the school for a good week. But more than that, Soyeon’s burning rage when she discovered the news made everyone even more talkative about it. Some even thought there would be a new match because eventually the Headmaster and Heads of House will have to give up as Soyeon keeps on complaining about it at any given moment of the day. But to no avail.

Soyeon’s wound is quickly a forgotten story and the monotony of the castle life takes the lead on the students’ conversations. Shuhua and Yuqi spent their evenings cleaning the Quidditch changing rooms for a week as a punishment. Mrs. Vera was not pleased to see Shuhua in her office for the second time in a week. The two friends thought they would be able to talk during the time but Mrs. Vera explicitly made them clean different changing rooms, giving Shuhua Slytherin and Hufflepuff and Yuqi Gryffindor and Ravenclaw.

The two suffered back and shoulder pain from all the bending and rubbing they had to do to make it spotless. Shuhua had to pair this punishment with a Saturday lecture from Mrs. Vera about proper uniform etiquette. It lasted the entire morning and when she joined Yuqi and Soyeon for lunch, she felt so exhausted she barely joined the conversation. Miyeon did invite her for a walk around the Great Lake in the afternoon but she declined and spent the afternoon in Gryffindor common room doing her homework with her classmates as they had a particularly difficult papers to hand back on Monday in History of Magic.

In the end, Shuhua spent her entire weekend under a pile of homework. It is only when Yuqi drags her out of the Gryffindor Tower on Sunday evening that she breathes fresh air for the first time in a week. Soyeon is at the Infirmary doing a check up with the Nurse, and Yuqi has apparently exciting news for Shuhua.

« Look! »

Yuqi agitates her right hand in front of her only to form a bubble of water. She continues to turn until the bubble is of the size of a gigantic egg and enters it. She then pokes it with her wand and spreads her arms expectantly while waiting for Shuhua to react.

« How? How did you do that? »

« It is all thanks to this bracelet. »

Yuqi touches her right wrist making a silvery bracelet appears and falls in her hand. She hands it to her friend with a proud grin. Shuhua inspects it for a moment. It looks like a silvery snake, could be mistaken for a real one thanks to the amazing details. Shuhua notes the small writing on the side but fails to read it as the language isn’t one she knows.

« Where did you got it? It looks very expensive. »

Shuhua would know with her mother being a designer, she knows how to identify high quality items, and Yuqi’s bracelet is made of fine material.

« Soojin gifted it to me for Christmas. »

« Did she? »

Shuhua is surprised by the revelation but it is quickly replaced with something else. Why did Yuqi not tell her about it? It is common sense to share with each other what they got for Christmas! Even more such a particular gift.

« So… What do you think? »

« Why didn’t you tell me that Soojin got you something for Christmas? Did you also get her something? »

« Obviously I did. Yet, I wasn’t expecting her to get me something as well. My dad said it was a very interesting magical item. And Soojin said it does more than enhancing water spells. I have been playing with it for a while, and so far this is what I have been able to do. »

Shuhua is speechless.

« You got something for Soojin? But, what did you not tell me about it? »

Yuqi properly looks at Shuhua, and realizes how upset her friend looks.

« Well… »

« Does Soyeon know about it? »

« … »

Shuhua frowns even more, a clear line on her forehead becoming visible. Yuqi stands awkwardly in front of her, her bracelet still in Shuhua’s hands, but she feels it isn’t the right moment to take it back from her friends.

« I know, I should have told Soyeon and you about it when we got back from the break. »

« Why did you not? Is… Is it what you used during the Second Task? »

Yuqi nods. Shuhua looks again at the bracelet laying in the palm of her hand. Soojin took the time to find a nice gift for Yuqi. It is more than a nice gift actually. Which makes it even weirder for Shuhua is that Yuqi fails to mention it until now. As if there is more to it.

« Why are you telling me now about it? »

« I just wanted to share with you my discovery. I am sorry, I forgot to mention it. »

Shuhua hands it back to Yuqi.

« Okay. »

Shuhua smiles at her friend and Yuqi visibly relaxes as she takes the bracelet back in her hand and it almost immediately disappears around her wrist. They change the subject and decide to walk back toward the castle to meet with Soyeon in the Entrance Hall before heading to the dinner.

 


 

Miyeon finds her girlfriend alone in the Quad after lunch on Wednesday afternoon. It has been a while since they had some quality time together. Shuhua has been drowning under her homework, her week of cleaning the Quidditch changing room, and her preparation of the O.W.L. Miyeon has been resting on her end, as she had to face a mountain of homework herself in preparation of her N.E.W.T. and her usual fan-club activities – which were composed of taking pictures, answering questions for different magazines and signing some autographs.

They hold hand while strolling around. The weather has gotten better but the wind is still cold and Shuhua walks close to Miyeon to keep warm.

« How is Soyeon doing? I heard that the Nurse was worried about the pain not fading away. »

« Soyeon is doing okay. It still hurts her a little from time to time. She was more annoyed about the match being forfeit, tho. »

Shuhua catches the sparkling of Miyeon’s eyes at her last sentence. It doesn’t require to be a genius to know what made her suddenly excited. Miyeon is a huge Quidditch fan and she always heavily supports Hufflepuff team during the Inter-House Quidditch Cup.

« I bet you enjoy it. »

« I don’t enjoy that Soyeon got hurt. But yes, I enjoy that Hufflepuff still has a chance to win the Cup. »

Shuhua rolls her eyes. They continue their walk around the ground eve if their afternoon class will start soon, Shuhua chooses to enjoy each second of her time with her girlfriend. A minute before the bell ring, a Ravenclaw Prefect catches them and tells them to hurry up to their classes. Shuhua feels reluctant to let go of Miyeon but still she lets go of her hand as they take the opposite direction.

 


 

Miyeon sits down on the chair of the Charms classroom, then she opens her book at the right section and prepares her quill. The girl next to her seems to be lost in her own thoughts and only notices Miyeon when Mrs. Vera starts her class – meaning it is now too late to change place, even if Soojin would rather die than give Miyeon such pleasure.

« Hi, Soojin. »

Soojin doesn’t bother to respond.

« Long time no see. »

Soojin raises an eyebrow at the sentence. Hufflepuff and Slytherin have Care of Magical Creatures together every Monday, but it doesn’t mean that Miyeon and Soojin ever stand next to each other for the classes they share.

Soojin opens a fresh roll of parchment and soaks the tip of her quill with black ink. Her attention is back on Mrs. Vera’s explanations and she has almost forgotten about Miyeon next to her.

« Minnie told me the next task would be in the Great Lake. Kinda reminds me of an edition the champions had to rescue their loved one at the bottom of the lake. »

« I guess you don’t have to worry then. Shuhua isn’t participating. »

Miyeon smiles. It is exactly where she wanted this conversation to go. She hadn’t forgot about Soojin’s interest in her girlfriend, and after some deep searches about Veelas, she feels that it is the time to confront Soojin about her actions.

« Funny you mention Shuhua. »

Soojin gives a quick look at Miyeon, and the grin on the girl’s lips clearly tells her that she walked right in a trap. Obviously, Miyeon didn’t seat next to her without any reason and the only thing about Soojin that could interest Miyeon is her interest for Shuhua.

« What about your girlfriend? »

Miyeon bites her tongue, she doesn’t like the way Soojin pronounced the word “girlfriend” as if she is mocking her relationship with Shuhua. Which wouldn’t be surprising.

« You seems awfully aware of my personal life. Should I worry? »

« I don’t care about you, Miyeon. I don’t even think about you. »

« That I know. Especially when you are kissing my girlfriend, right? »

Soojin tenses up for a second, but still she continues to write down Mrs. Vera’s lesson. It is a surprise for her that Miyeon knows about it. Still, she wonders how much she knows but she has a feeling she doesn’t know everything. Is it even Shuhua who told her about it?

Soojin believes Miyeon would have been way angrier if someone else would have told her about it. The Hufflepuff wouldn’t have taken well that people knew about her situation. Especially if they had told her about what happened on Valentine’s Day. So Soojin believes she only knows about the two other kisses at top and Shuhua must have told her about it.

Still, why did Miyeon chose to confront her during class? Soojin feels as if Miyeon has something in mind, the Hufflepuff isn’t the type to act recklessly. Despite most beliefs, the girl isn’t only looks; she has a brain and isn’t scared to use it.

« What do you want, Miyeon? I believe you didn’t sit next to me out of affinity. »

« I want you to stay away from my girlfriend. You don’t talk to her. You don’t look at her. You don’t even think about her. »

Soojin looks on her left, Miyeon’s warm brown eyes have nothing inviting about them. Clearly, she hasn’t digested the fact that Soojin of all people had the audacity to kiss her girlfriend. Shuhua asked her to not get involved with Soojin, she refuses to quietly obey even if she knows her girlfriend won’t be about it.

« I don’t know who you think you are, but you are delusional if you think you can threaten me without consequences. »

« I would be very careful if I were you, Seo Soojin. You wouldn’t want to upset the wrong people. »

« I return you the compliment. Would you? »

Mrs. Vera’s Charms lesson is now long forgotten and fortunately for them the woman is took taken into her explanations that she doesn’t notice the two girls menacing to jump at each other throat.

« Stay away from my girlfriend. »

Soojin stares into Miyeon’s eyes for a few second before turning back toward her notes. She has nothing else to say because Shuhua isn’t hers. The Gryffindor made her choice already, and even Soojin’s best arguments won’t make her change her mind apparently.

Soojin’s arguments being the kisses they shared. For her they were real, and charged in strong emotions. Something difficult to just forget in the spam of a few weeks. Despite the urge to shut up Miyeon, Soojin keeps her Valentine kiss with Shuhua to herself. She wants to be better than the Hufflepuff when it comes to Shuhua.

Mrs. Vera takes her out of her thought filled mind.

« Let’s pair up with the person sitting next to you. »

Neither of them make a comment about it.

The exercise is given to them is fairly simple in theory. They were given a large bucket in which they had to start a fire using a Fire-Making Spell and then use the newly learn Extinguishing Spell to put it out. The spell had to be strong enough to extinguish the whole fire, but also perfectly aim not to wet yourself or the people around you.

« I will take care of the fire. You can’t really be trusted with those, can you? »

Miyeon’s eyes glint with malice, making Soojin grit her teeth. Still, the girl refuses to play into Miyeon’s little game. She lets Miyeon pull out her wand and make a fire appear inside the bucket. The Hufflepuff looks expectantly at Soojin, but the Slytherin doesn’t move.

« Aren’t you going to pull out your wand? »

Miyeon gives a look at Soojin’s legs where she keeps her scabbard. Soojin doesn’t make a move for it, instead she stares at the fire burning in the bucket between them, and with a satisfied smile, she extinguishes it.

It leaves Miyeon speechless. Confusion and surprise shine in her brown eyes as she looks at Soojin for answers. It is a common knowledge that the girl is a skillful witch but rare are the one realizing to which extend she can actually control her magic. Miyeon just got a reality check.

« Don’t mess with me, Cho Miyeon. »

Soojin’s voice pull Miyeon out of her stupor.

Soojin stares at the bucket again and a fire fills up the entire bucket. She then looks at Miyeon, waiting for her to use the Extinguishing Spell. The whole time without using her wand a single time, still secured in the scabbard around her thigh. She rarely shows off her skill, but it is the safest option to shut up Miyeon without much consequences right now.

Miyeon moves her wand in front of the bucket without any success. She has to try a few times to extinguish the fire safely with the spell. Soojin doesn’t make a single comment about it. Miyeon makes another fire inside the bucket and Soojin puts it out once again without the use of her wand. They continue their back and forth in silence, Miyeon managing to get the hang of the spell by the end of the lesson.

As they are putting their book and parchment back into their bag, Soojin hears the other girl’s question despite the noise of the other students.

« Did you use your Veela’s magic on Shuhua? »

Soojin turns around, her bag already on her shoulder, and ready to leave. She only has to walk out of the classroom but for some reason she feels very sensitive about the topic, especially when people refers to it as a bad thing. Other Slytherins quickly stopped commenting on her Veela’s heritage once they understood it only means Soojin is more powerful than others, and instead looked at her as a valuable member of their house.

It has never been a secret for Soojin or the other Slytherins, more power is always welcomed.

« Didn’t take you for a racist. Guess it isn’t something your are very vocal about in your interviews. »

« If you think you can use your charms on her without me saying anything, than you have no idea who you are dealing with. You should be ashamed of yourself for taking advantage of her. »

Soojin stares at Miyeon. Her usual bright green eyes are now so dark they look almost black. But Miyeon isn’t so easily impressed, and she isn’t scared of the Slytherin.

« You are everything your name promises you would be. A Seo. »

Miyeon says it with so much disgust in her voice, she might as well have eaten the wrong Every-Flavor Bean.

« Someone who would back away from nothing to get what they want. You used Dark Magic in the past, what would stop you from doing such a thing? Because let’s be realistic. Who would want to be with someone like you? »

« you, Miyeon. »

« You are someone evil and bad to the bone. »

They glare at each other, Soojin gripping her bag strap as hard as possible to prevent herself from doing something she would regret. She knows Miyeon is working her until she snaps, and if she does so, she has more to loose than Miyeon.

The Hufflepuff is right, she used Dark Magic in the past and got expelled from the Quidditch team and she is almost sure if she does anything right now, Miyeon will find a way to make her expel from the Tournament. And Soojin can’t have that happening.

« I refuse to let Shuhua near someone like you. She deserves someone good. »

« Shut up! »

The classroom is now empty, and Soojin’s loud voice makes Mrs. Vera turn in the direction of the two remaining students.

« Miss Seo! »

« I will make you regret it. You will see what it really is to wrong a Seo! »

Mrs. Vera walks to them and stands between the two, hoping to understand what is happening. She knows Soojin rather well, and despite her character, the girl usually aborts a quiet and focused behavior during classes. In the seven years of teaching the Slytherin, she never had any problem with her, and even enjoyed talking with her on certain subject that had picked her interest. It didn’t even surprise her when Soojin got chosen as Slytherin’s champion.

On the other end, Miyeon hasn’t always been a gifted student and has had a difficult time mastering some Charms because of her lack of work during her third and fourth year. Fortunately, her father gave her an ultimatum and asked all of her teachers to inform him if Miyeon didn’t put any effort during her fifth year. Ever since, the girl’s grade have picked up, putting her in the top part of the class.

It has always been clear for Mrs. Vera that Miyeon’s interest isn’t in magic or politics like her father wishes. Mrs. Vera doesn’t doubt the girl will succeed in the future, but she wouldn’t be surprise if she becomes an actress. After all, she is already admires for her looks and even did some publicity spots for “Smooth Miraculous Cream”.

« What is happening girls? »

Neither of them responds.

« Miss Seo, Miss Cho, I would like an answer. What is happening? »

Soojin and Miyeon look at Mrs. Vera, but none of them speak. Still, Mrs. Vera notices how Soojin’s eyes go from an almost black to a lighter green, her body seems to relax as well. Miyeon takes her bag and puts it over her shoulder but Mrs. Vera refuses to let them go until they answer her.

« Nothing. Soojin and I only had a small different. Nothing big. Right? »

Soojin looks at Miyeon. She nods ever so slowly. Mrs. Vera lets the two leave her classroom but before Soojin can walk through the door, she calls for her.

« Yes? »

Soojin meets with the grey and piercing eyes of her teacher.

« I count on you not to get in trouble. I know you have quite the character and I believe this is why you inspire admiration among your peers. I hope I can count on you. »

« I do not inspire admiration. And with all due respect, Mrs. Vera, I do not need your pity. »

Soojin turns around and leaves the classroom.

 


 

Soyeon doesn’t remember a time she felt this way about Quidditch. It is so new to her that she doesn’t really know how to deal with it. Neither Yuqi or Shuhua would understand as they never practiced Quidditch, nor any other sport as far as Soyeon was concerned. She did write a letter to her brother about it, but knowing him, it would surely take a few weeks for her to receive an answer. The only person she believes could help her is Soojin. The only problem is that the Slytherin seems impossible to spot.

Even in the Great Hall during meal time, it seems Soojin never happens to be here when Soyeon is. She has almost given up, but luckily the girl appears at the Wizard’s Chess Club one evening. She is sitting in the corner of the room with a first year Ravenclaw. As Soyeon walks closer, she realizes Soojin is teaching the boy how to play.

The second the boy spots her, he greets her politely and excuses himself as if Soyeon would harm him. Soojin chuckles and tells the boy to come see her later if he needs help. Soyeon takes the place of the Gryffindor boy.

« Didn’t know I was so scary. They are usually more scared of you. »

« Jenny told me it took him a whole month to gather the courage to enter the club. Apparently, knowing you and I were part of it frightened him. »

Jenny, a sixth year Slytherin, is the Head of the Wizard’s Chess Club. Despite being a Slytherin, the club is opened to everyone as long as they like playing Wizard Chess. She organizes tournaments during the year to attract more participants. Soojin and Soyeon are rather close with her since they used to spend most of their evening there.

« He doesn’t seem very wary of you anymore. »

« I don’t know. … Were you looking for me? »

Soyeon nods. Soojin grins, she glances at the board between them and with a look encourages Soyeon to play.

« Something troubling you? … Must be important if you can’t share it with your redhead friend. »

Soyeon looks up, and suddenly she wonders if she really went to seek the right person.

« I thought you were also friend with Yuqi. »

« So it is about her? »

« No. It isn’t about Yuqi. »

« Oh. Well then… Why were you looking for me? »

« I don’t know if I like Quidditch anymore. »

Soojin doesn’t say anything, and there is a long silence between them. They continue to play Chess, taking their time to position their pieces on the board.

« Have you fly ever since the match? »

« No. »

Soojin rolls her eyes. It is obvious to her that Soyeon took very wrongly that the match got forfeit, and has ever since been asking herself if there is a point at playing Quidditch at all when everyone seems not to care about it. The answer is very simple to Soojin.

« Summon your broom. »

« What? »

« Come on. Do it. »

« Right now? »

« Since when do you care about timing? »

Half a minute later, Soyeon and Soojin are racing through the corridors of the sixth floor, they throw themselves into the moving staircase, avoiding students and stairs until they reach the ground and they speed through the Entrance Hall until they are finally out of the castle.

They go for the Lake, and Soyeon lets her hand touch the cold water before flying higher and taking the direction of the path toward Hogsmeade, they continue down until they almost reach Hogsmeade, Soojin proposes to go for a butterbeer and Soyeon agrees. They hide their broom behind a tree and walk to the Three Broomsticks.

They have no right to be at Hogsmeade, and if someone catches them they will be in big trouble, but the tavern is crowded enough for them to just hide themselves in the crowd of customers. Soyeon doesn’t have to say anything, Soojin knows that this ride was exactly what she needed to put her ideas back in order.

Instead, they start to discuss the upcoming third task. Soojin reveals that she finds it a pity that Minnie’s prediction is so vague. On her end, she has been searching past tournaments’ tasks to have an idea of what could wait for them.

« Previous Tournament were much bigger. Other schools would join Hogwarts, and even the Ministry of Magic was involved. Reporters would come as well. I read about one where they had to fight a dragon! It sounds way more thrilling than Hippogriffs. »

« But you did end up with a broken shoulder… »

Soojin waves Soyeon’s comment away.

« I hope Mr. Poe will have something thrilling in store. The volcano was a good idea… I bet Mrs. Vera had a great time making Yuqi suffers for a moment. »

« I bet she wishes I could have been on the volcano as well. »

Soojin laughs. Mrs. Vera has stopped hiding her dislike of the two Gryffindors a long time ago, making it even funnier in Soojin’s eyes.

After finishing their butterbeer, they get their broom back and fly to the castle, avoiding the main entrance and choosing to land near the Quidditch changing room and discretely made their way back to their respective common room. Soyeon has the bad luck of running into Mrs. Juny who immediately walks her way with a deep frown, fortunately Minnie passing through the corridors catches Mrs. Juny before she can get to Soyeon.

The Gryffindor quickly finds an empty classroom and exits through another door into what seemed to be a storage room for cauldron that haven’t be used in ages, she continues through the room until she gets back into the corridors. It seems that she is back on the second floor, and she runs until she reaches the fourth floor and quickly enters the Gryffindor common room.

 

 


Hello!

I think so far it has been the hardest chapter to write. I don't know why, but there was always something wrong with a scene. So, I started to read Harry Potter again and turns out it helps a lot. (Don't worry I borrowed it at the public library and I am currently on the fourth book. How fitting!)

As for the story, I hope I am not deceiving you. I don't really know what kind of idea you got of Miyeon, but I hope you continue to see her as a good person. She only is very defensive of Shuhua because she likes her a lot and she dislikes Soojin a lot. It really triggers her that Soojin (of all people) has an interest in Shuhua. I hope it explains a bit more why Miyeon acted like this. it isn't because she is a bad person but because she feels threatened.

1. Shuhua seems to be interested in Soojin as well. Even if she only acted friendly with Soojin while Miyeon was around.
2. Soojin isn't someone Miyeon can have any influence on. (Soojin's family is as influential as Miyeon's + what matters for Soojin is very different from what matters for Miyeon)
3. Soojin has things that Miyeon doesn't have. (Soojin is a great witch, a great Quidditch player, and very much liked by the staff at Hogwarts because of it.)

As for Yuqi, she is really a protective kind of friend. I don't think she dislikes Miyeon, but she obviously is friends with Shuhua before anything else. While Soyeon stands on the side but is ready to catch Shuhua, Yuqi is the kind to go to war immediately.

Also in a previous chapter, I kinda mentioned that Soyeon has an interest in Shuhua, but I don't think she has feelings for Shuhua the same way Soojin and Miyeon do. It is more an interest in her that could go beyond friendship if there is an opportunity. (Obviously, for Soyeon Shuhua is her friend before anything else.) It is different from her relationship with Yuqi which is just really confusing for both of them actually. I don't think either of them had the courage to put the words out, which could really help them.

Finally, concerning Minnie. I am so very sorry that she barely appears in this chapter. But it doesn't mean that I forgot about her at all!

On this note, see you next update! :)