Chapter [4] : Quidditch brings friends closer. [2/2]

Hogwarts : The Magical Tournament

 

Shuhua is laying in bed. Not her bed. Miyeon’s. Miyeon is next to her, her arm over Shuhua’s stomach and her face buried in her neck. The Gryffindor is awake, looking at the ceiling of the room which reflects the lights of the day already well advanced. They should both be in class but Miyeon refuses to let go of Shuhua. It happens from time to time, the girl knows it is her last year, the last time where she can see Shuhua’s face every day and it breaks her heart at times. Shuhua knows her friend can be melancholic, and she never judges her for that. So she stays in the bed in silence.

Miyeon starts to move, she pulls Shuhua even closer to her. She likes the natural peachy scent of the girl, her soft skin, her cute features, and her sweet voice.

They know at this time, they have missed all of their morning classes. Miyeon doesn’t care, she kisses Shuhua’s neck; making the girl whines.

« I like sleeping with you. »

Shuhua nods, she doesn’t know what to do about her cheeks getting warm and her heart beating a bit faster. It doesn’t worry her, she just wishes she could have a hold over her emotions. They stay there for a moment again. Miyeon puts another kiss on Shuhua’s neck. When they know it is soon to be lunchtime, they decide to get out of bed and take a shower.

Shuhua tells Miyeon she has to go to her room for a Gryffindor’s uniform. Miyeon did try to talk Shuhua into wearing a Hufflepuff uniform but the girl refuses. She has always been a very proud Gryffindor, and she dislikes the idea of wearing another uniform. Miyeon whines, makes cute faces, and kisses all over Shuhua’s face but it doesn’t work.

 


 

Miyeon lets Shuhua go with a pout. She makes her bed, tidies her room, and finishes preparing herself, heading out of Hufflepuff Basement to the Great Hall with the other students. She sits down facing Shuhua, but two tables away from the younger girl. She eats while listening to her friends talking, she says one sentence from time to time, but she never likes talking too much as everyone listens to her words a bit too closely.

Miyeon likes being with Hufflepuffs, they are always friendly, loyal, and honest. This is also why she likes so much to hang out with Shuhua, she is daring and courageous, and she thinks outside the box. She seeks it often, she is scared to be stuck in the things she knows and misses all the other things.

That is why she opens herself up more. It is her last year, she doesn’t have much to lose. So, she has been getting closer to Minnie, but the Ravenclaw is quite the enigma. She is pretty, Miyeon can’t miss it. Pretty, with a bright mind, and never scared of anything. She is always hanging out with Slytherins, especially Soojin. A mystery to Miyeon.

The Ravenclaw girl has dark hair with white locks. They are often braided in some kind of complex pattern. It gets to Miyeon’s curiosity. Minnie’s original style when she isn’t in uniform peaks Miyeon's interest as well, she wears many colors, and the Hufflepuff likes it. To the point that they spent their summer exchanging clothes, trying outfits in each other closets. Miyeon thinks it is interesting.

 


 

While Shuhua is on another date with Soojin, where? Miyeon has no idea. She and Minnie are hanging out at Hogsmeade. It is nice to be with her, the girl has an energy so different from other people. She makes a lot of jokes and teases her a lot too, but Miyeon doesn’t get angry. Instead, she tries to tease Minnie back.

« We should go drink something. »

They head to the Three Broomsticks Inn in Hogsmeade and order some butterbeer. Miyeon is a light head, she knows it is not in her best interest to drink more than one so she sips slowly from her glass. Minnie is better at drinking, and she orders two more butter beers, the strong ones. She likes the dizzy feeling of drinking. Also, it helps her.

Minnie has to admit, outside of her heart beating a bit too loudly for Soojin, she has been looking at Miyeon more often than not. It is different from the other people she has dated because she doesn’t get bored of the girl. She enjoys being with her; the only downside about it is Shuhua. Shuhua, who refuses to stay more than a few minutes in the same room as her, Shuhua, who always pulls Miyeon closer to her when Minnie is too close, Shuhua, who has everyone’s attention on her – Miyeon’s and Soojin’s.

« We should watch tomorrow’s Quidditch match together. »

« Hum… Don’t you want to watch it with Ravenclaws? »

« I want to see it with you. »

Miyeon looks away, Minnie always says those kinds of words while looking deep into her eyes and her cheeks burn her. Minnie often has this effect on her. It is her charm, her voice, her tone, or maybe her attitude. Miyeon isn’t sure.

« … Then, we should do that, maybe. »

 


 

« You aren’t watching the match with us? »

« Miyeon is always welcome to watch it with us, you know that, right, Shu? »

Shuhua chuckles. Yuqi is quite surprised by the news, while Soyeon takes it well - she is always kind to the girl. For her, Shuhua is like a baby sister, and she has to take care of her. Shuhua never asked her such a thing, but she likes the comfort and warmth Soyeon always has for her. So she is never scared, she feels at peace in Gryffindor thanks to the two.

« I am watching it with Soojin. »

« Soojin? »

« Yes, you know the other champion with you and Minnie. »

« Yeah, thank you so much, Shu. It is just that I didn’t see it coming. You two. »

« I am not really surprised. »

« How so? »

« Soojin has been talking about you since the beginning of the year. I think she really likes you. »

« What! »

« She talks about me? »

Soyeon smirks. Shuhua punches her lightly. The three are in their room, sitting together on the floor where they put their covers and pillows. Sometimes they like to sleep together, they usually tell each other stories and confidences, and they sing also. They eat snacks and only fall asleep in the early hours of the morning. Shuhua is always in the middle, cuddled by Soyeon while Yuqi holds her hand on the side. It is different than when she sleeps with Miyeon; she likes it just as much.

« When we play Wizard Chess, she is more talkative than usual. We tell each other everything we think about while we play. It is like therapy. »

« Wizard Chess is like therapy for you? »

« Why are you judging us when you spend all your free time collecting Wizard Cards with Shuhua. You two are even part of the school club. »

« Hey! That’s the most interesting way I found to learn about the wizarding world. Plus, everyone is so nice there. »

« What’s your excuse, Yuqi? »

« I can help Shuhua, and I love collecting cards. »

« Nerd. »

Yuqi throws a pillow in Soyeon’s face and Shuhua joins her. Soyeon laughs, she tries to say it is unfair they are two against one. Yuqi hits Soyeon again, and Shuhua climbs on top of her to tickle her. Soyeon is fighting for her life, trying to escape the evil duo Shuhua and Yuqi form together. They stop when someone knocks on their door telling them to keep it quiet.

« Unfair. »

They are all out of breath. Lying down in the mess they made. They start to laugh again, trying to stay quiet but failing miserably. Shuhua closes her eyes, this is what she loves so much about Hogwarts: the fun, the laughs, the craziness – when it doesn’t become dangerous. They eventually fall asleep and wake up so late that they have to rush to shower and get dressed so they don’t miss the match.

 


 

« I thought you wouldn’t come. »

« I promised! I would never betray a promise. »

Soojin lets a small smile escape her. She looks around, in the bleachers with them is a mix of students from different houses, it is quieter than the one with Ravenclaws and Slytherins. There, the cheering is as always deafening, actually even the bleachers with Gryffindors and Hufflepuff aren’t that quiet. Everyone always gets so excited during the matches.

« So. Who are you rooting for? »

« Gryffindor. »

« Come on… You said you would cheer for Slytherin. »

« You didn’t cheer for Gryffindor last week. »

Soojin looks at Shuhua, the girl is giving her such an intense stare, and she feels her knees becoming weak. There is some amusement, accusation, and teasing in those brown eyes of hers, and Soojin doesn’t know what to say because all she is thinking about is how beautiful Shuhua is.

« Convince me to cheer for Slytherin. »

« I trained them. »

« But… you aren’t part of the team. »

« I know. But I used to, and so I still train them. At least the new recruits and the Seeker. »

Shuhua thinks for a moment. She doesn’t have any memory of Soojin playing Quidditch. Well, she only started to take an interest during her third year as Soyeon had become her friend and had just entered the team but Soojin had already stopped playing.

« You used to play? Why are you not playing anymore then? »

« Hum… I am not very proud of this story. »

« Oh. It is fine, then. You don’t have to. »

Soojin doesn’t talk for a moment, she doesn’t want this silence to be awkward, so she finds something else to talk about. Shuhua is kind, is what Soojin tells herself, she never pressures her to do anything, and seems quite understanding of everything, even if she is curious.

« Were you a Seeker? When you used to play. »

« Yes. »

« So you were the star of your team. Yet… I never knew about it. »

« Then, we should check out the trophies after the match. You’ll see I am not lying to you. »

« Hum… Okay. »

 


 

Shuhua cheers for Slytherin. She gets excited as Ravenclaw and Slytherin keep scoring, catching up with the other score every time. In the end, everything is in the hands of the Seekers. Shuhua gave her pair of binoculars to Soyeon and Yuqi, so she can’t see well what is happening in the air. Soojin is the first one to spot the Golden Snitch she points in its direction for Shuhua to see but the girl doesn’t notice it right away.

The two Seekers are fast in the sky, but Shuhua believes Soyeon is even faster on her broom. They fight for long minutes for the Golden Snitch, pushing each other, and bending their bodies further to catch the little ball. Ravenclaw wins. Only because their Seeker is slightly taller than Slytherin’s. Soojin is disappointed, Shuhua can see it but the Slytherin acts like it isn’t a big deal.

« Come on, it is only the first match of the season. Your team will win its next match. »

Shuhua rubs Soojin’s back, it surprises the girl who isn’t used to physical contact. She enjoys it. She looks at Shuhua, and she feels warmth spreading in her body when the girl smiles at her. She wants to feel even closer to the girl but she doesn’t know how so she stays still and enjoys the rubs on her back.

« Well. Let’s go back to the castle, so you can show me the trophies. »

 


 

They walk back to the castle. Instead of falling the crowd of students to the Great Hall, and other parts of the castle, they head to the trophy's room situated in a corridor next to the Great Stairs. Here, there are a lot of trophies, starting way back from the first years of Hogwart to nowadays. Shuhua is impressed, she never really paid attention to this room, and she realizes how much history is in those showcases.

« Here. In my second year, Slytherin won the Cup. »

Shuhua comes near Soojin. There is a picture of the team this year and Soojin is there. A thirteen years old Soojin, with her broom in hand, is smiling at the camera. She is in the middle with all her teammates around her, and she looks happy. A look that is rarely seen on her face nowadays. The trophy next to the picture is the one she won with her team, there is her name engraved on it as well as all her teammates.

« You look cute. You seem so happy there. »

« And that's the one we won during my third year. »

Shuhua looks at the picture. Soojin is in the middle again, holding the Golden Snitch between her fingers and proudly showing it to the camera with a proud smile. She is in her Quidditch uniform, her hair is longer than today, and again she looks happy. She has obviously matured from the previous year, but she is still the typical fourteen years old.

« You look different here. But still, so happy. »

« Hum. Things were easier back then. »

Shuhua looks at the girl, she isn't sure if she will answer her next question. She decides not to ask her in the end. They leave the trophy's room and walk toward the Quad. There aren’t many people hanging around, so they feel comfortable there. They sit down on a bench, facing each other as they chat. Well, Shuhua is the one who talks the most, but Soojin has been talking more and more as well.

It is dinner time when they realize they have spent their whole afternoon talking with one other. Shuhua is laying on Soojin’s lap as she continues to tell her about her favorite childhood story. Soojin is listening, her fingers lost in Shuhua’s hair. She doesn’t want the moment to finish, but the Gryffindor sits up and complains about how hungry she is so they head to the Great Hall for dinner.

 


 

« A ball? »

Yuqi is looking at Minnie and Soojin sitting on each side of her. The three champions have been called into the Headmaster’s office for an important meeting. However, the subject of the meeting isn’t what they expected.

« It is a tradition to hold a ball during the Triwizard Tournament. »

« If it is a tradition, what can we do about it? »

Soojin recognizes Minnie’s sarcasm. It seems as if Mr. Bancroft doesn’t realize the Ravenclaw is making fun of him. Yuqi picks up on the sarcasm as she is used to Soyeon’s. The Headmaster is very much serious about the whole conversation. They will hold the Christmas Ball, and really Yuqi has nothing against it.

The little trick is that the three champions will open the ball with a dance. A waltz. Yuqi grimaces, she can’t help it. Soojin does not react, as always everything is going on inside her. Minnie seems to totally disapprove of the idea. Yuqi understands it by the way she changes position in her seat.

Mr. Bancroft continues his explanations, and when he is done, the meeting is over. The three champions find themselves alone down the Headmaster Tower, not ready to leave yet. Yuqi is the first to speak, Soojin looks at her but her green eyes express nothing. Minnie is upset, and she leaves them without saying anything. In the end, Yuqi walks back to Gryffindor Tower with Soojin. They talk about the tournament and the clue for the next challenge. Soojin tells her about her theory that the next challenge might be from Gryffindor’s Head of House.

« That’s clever. I didn’t think about that. I understand now why you are the top student. »

« It is Minnie who thought about it. »

« Same. You two are the best wizard around here. »

« You are a great wizard as well, Yuqi. »

« Thank you. I am trying. »

Soojin pinches her lips together to not laugh. The Gryffindor is so interesting, she loves when people compliment her, and she seems always ready to face any challenges. Soojin likes her, and she understands why Shuhua and Soyeon like her so much. She finds it a pity Minnie doesn’t show any interest in the Gryffindor because she is sure they could hit it off.

« Well. I am leaving you here. I have some homework to finish. But we should hang out sometimes, with Soyeon and Shuhua. Huh? »

« Hum. I will think about it. »

Soojin goes down the Great Stairs until she reaches Slytherin’s Dungeons. She goes for her room where she quickly changes into something warmer and gets her broom which she keeps under her bed. She speeds up out of the Dungeons and exits the castle. As she is almost near the Quidditch Pitch, she spots Shuhua. The Gryffindor is jumping around, all excited. Soojin stops to look at her. That is when she sees Miyeon who holds out her hand for Shuhua to follow her. Soojin turns her back and continues toward the Pitch.

 


 

« If I hear the word Ball one more time, I am muting my ears. »

« I don’t think there is a spell for that. »

Minnie looks at Soojin with a frown. The Ravenclaw still hasn’t digested the Christmas Ball the school is organizing in honor of the tournament. It has been announced to the entire school over dinner last night, and ever since everyone has been buzzing about it. Everyone except for Minnie; she thinks it is the total worst to have to dance the waltz in front of everyone.

It means she has to find a partner, and the Headmaster has been clear, they can’t choose a champion. So Minnie can’t choose Soojin, and it is one of the things which annoys her the most. On top of it, they will have waltz lessons every night until the ball so they know how to properly dance during the opening. Mrs. Vera is in charge of it, and Minnie thinks it is terrible as she doesn’t like the woman very much.

Now that the news is broken, she has to find a date for the ball. Minnie knows very well she will have to spend the entire night with the person she will choose, she will also have to rehearse the dance with them and see their face from up close. There is no one - else than Soojin - she wants to do that with. It isn’t that she is shy, it is just that those days, she isn’t in the mood. She wants to focus on the tournament.

It is the truth, she hasn't dated anyone ever since the start of the year. Yes, she had sweet company a few times, but nothing serious, just some fun because this is what she believes she needs. No one has grabbed her attention, no one she wants to be close to, no one she wants to share so much of herself with. Dancing this waltz, trusting someone while they dance together so close to each other, this isn’t something she wants to do with just anyone.

Minnie looks at Soojin next to her. The girl is writing down the lesson, unbothered by the chats behind her, or by her friend’s emotions next to her. Minnie only wishes she could be so unbothered by everything, but she can only pretend. In reality, she cares about everything. She cares that she will always come after Soojin, she cares that Soojin has a crush on Shuhua, she cares that this is her last year at Hogwarts, she cares that she can’t find someone to like that isn’t Soojin; she cares about everything.

« You are thinking too loud, I can’t focus. »

Minnie doesn’t respond, she looks in front of her without focusing on the lesson. She is in her head, chewing the same thoughts again and again, keeping it all for herself, and acting as if she doesn’t care.

« Hey. What’s up with you? »

« Nothing. »

Minnie counts to five in her head, and she turns toward Soojin. She smiles at her friend before changing the subject. Soojin looks at her curiously but doesn’t ask questions, she goes back to the lesson, her plume in her hand again. Minnie decides to follow the class, even if she doesn’t feel like it, she hopes it will make her think about something else for a moment.

 


 

Lunch can’t come fast enough, and Minnie leaves the classroom with Soojin behind her. She tells Soojin they will talk later, having decided she will enjoy her lunch with some boy from Slytherin who has been smiling her way since the beginning of the class. Minnie doesn’t go to the Great Hall. Soojin rolls her eyes and continues to go down to the ground floor.

Yuqi and Soyeon catch her on their way. Yuqi is very enthusiastic in her greeting while Soyeon only gives her a nod. The three chat on their way, well it is mostly Yuqi who always has so much to say. Soojin chuckles alongside Soyeon at the antics of the Gryffindor. She is unique and easy to like.

« Hey. What are you doing this afternoon? Come hang out with us in the Study Area on the fourth floor. »

« We are playing cards with Shuhua. »

« Oh. I will think about it. »

« No. You won’t, you will come. Period. Okay? See you this afternoon then, Soojin. »

Yuqi goes for Gryffindor’s table. Soyeon can’t help but laugh at Soojin’s face. The Slytherin is choked by Yuqi’s tone which lets no place for a negative answer. Soyeon tells her to get used to it, before leaving for her table as well. Soojin goes to sit with her friend at Slytherin’s table, but she can’t help throwing glances in Yuqi and Soyeon’s direction during the whole lunch. It seems as if she has made a friend in Yuqi without realizing it - not that she is complaining.

 


 

Soojin finds the duo Yuqi and Soyeon in the Study Area after her afternoon classes. The two are sitting on each side of the table, with a magazine between them, they look like they are arguing but it isn’t the case, that is how they communicate. Soojin wonders where is Shuhua, she feels like she would be more comfortable if the younger girl is here as well.

« Hi, Soojin! Yuqi told me you would join us today. »

Soojin smiles, she doesn’t even realize she is doing so, and Shuhua raises an eyebrow at the rare sight but doesn’t mention it. She takes Soojin by the elbow and leads her to the table. Shuhua sits next to Soyeon, and Soojin – a bit sad – sits next to Yuqi.

« What are you two looking at? »

« Dresses for the Ball. »

« Oh. I haven’t even thought about it, yet. »

« Well you should, it is in a month. It comes faster than you think, Shu. »

Soojin raises an eyebrow at the way Soyeon addresses Shuhua. It is a tone she has never heard her use before. Clearly, the girl is very protective and lovely to the younger one. It hits her that she never saw the three Gryffindors interact together. It seems as if the dynamic between Yuqi and Soyeon is entirely different from the Soyeon and Shuhua one.

« Do you even have a date? »

« … I haven’t thought of that either. »

« By Merlin’s beard, Shu. What goes on in your brain at times? »

« Hey! Don’t be mean. Well, do you have someone you would like to go with? It doesn’t have to be someone you like, I can be just a friend. Like Yuqi and I. »

Soojin looks at Yuqi who bites her lower lips and seems out of the conversation for a few seconds. She goes back to her cheerful energy quickly, but Soojin noticed the fluctuation. She focuses back on Shuhua who seems deep in thought.

« Well… If I had to choose, I think I would like to go with Miyeon. »

« Why don’t you ask her? »

« I am sure so many people must have asked her already… Plus, isn’t it weird to go with your friend? Isn’t it like a date or something? »

« Are you saying that Soyeon and I are weird? »

« But it isn’t the same… Soyeon and you are like… puzzles pieces, it would be weird if you didn’t go together. »

« What? What do you mean? »

« You two are always together, you are so often together I don’t even think it would be possible for you to have a boyfriend or a girlfriend. They wouldn’t have any space, even I struggle at times. »

« You are very wrong. »

Shuhua rolls her eyes at Yuqi. She doesn’t notice the way Soyeon’s eyes are shaking. The girl who has known Yuqi for longer than Shuhua is very much aware that one of Yuqi’s qualities - and defaults - is that she never backed away from a challenge, and Shuhua just challenged her.

« You know what, I will prove to you that Soyeon and I will go to the Ball with someone else. And you will see that we aren’t always together or weird or whatever you said. »

« That’s not what I said. But fine. Also, you can’t ask me to be your date. »

Yuqi groans, but she accepts the condition. Soyeon is watching the exchange between the two with pure panic in her pupils, yet she doesn’t say anything. Soojin is having fun watching the dynamic between Yuqi and Shuhua. It is a side of the girl she didn’t know about and she wonders what else about her she doesn’t know.

« Oh. Also, I told Miyeon to join us for the card game. I hope it is okay. »

« Obviously, it is fine. You can take the opportunity to ask her. »

Soojin tenses up, she watches how Shuhua bites her lips. Soyeon reacts by putting her hand on the younger girl’s shoulder. Shuhua asks them to not make any comment about the subject, and that she will think about it for now. Soyeon makes Yuqi promise, the girl bows her head to Soyeon and promises seriously that she will not mention the subject.

 


 

« Here is Miyeon. »

« Hi! Long time no see you two. Oh. Hi, Soojin. »

Miyeon greets them all with a smile before taking her spot next to Shuhua. Soojin watches how the Gryffindor squeezes herself close to Miyeon, the older girl even puts her arm around Shuhua’s waist and the younger leans against her.

Yuqi gets her card game out of her pocket and starts to explain the rules to Soojin. Soojin has a hard time following as Shuhua and Miyeon keep exchanging whispers with each other until Soyeon tells them it isn’t polite to do so when other people are around. Soojin tells Yuqi she got most of the game and to start giving out the cards.

Soojin almost groans out loud when Miyeon says she will play with Shuhua. Yuqi and Soyeon don’t make any comments, they don’t even roll their eyes to Soojin’s surprise and she understands this situation often happens. The more they play, the closer Shuhua and Miyeon seem to get and Soojin becomes more irritated with each passing second.

« I won! »

Yuqi puts down her last cards happily. Soyeon and Shuhua groan as they do not like to lose, but Miyeon kisses Shuhua on her temple and tells her to not be so grumpy about it. Soojin puts down her cards. She tells the four girls that she has to go before leaving them and immediately rushes down the stairs to take a breath of fresh air outside.

« ing Hufflepuff! »