Chapter [5] : Christmas Ball, the magic of winter.

Hogwarts : The Magical Tournament

 

« Miyeon said yes! »

Shuhua appears out of nowhere at the Gryffindor’s table with so much excitement, Soyeon is sure her tail would be acting all crazy if she were a dog. The younger girl is looking at her two friends expectantly for a reaction, she doesn’t sit down, she is buzzing with happiness; her uniform skirt going up and down with her. Soyeon puts a protective hand on it, just in case.

« That’s great, Shu! »

« Wow! How did you ask her? »

Shuhua sits down between her friends, Yuqi has already closed her book, knowing she won’t study more anyway, while Soyeon hasn’t even opened one. Shuhua tells them how she got flowers delivered this morning by the owl post, a bouquet of red chrysanthemums-

« Wow, that’s subtle of you. »

« They are Miyeon’s favorite flowers. »

Soyeon smacks Yuqi’s head behind Shuhua’s back. Maybe Shuhua didn’t pick up on the sarcasm but she did. They continue to listen to Shuhua who explains how she gave Miyeon’s rendezvous in the Art Classroom - since no one is around at this time of the day. Shuhua was very nervous. Soyeon felt it from the way she couldn't even properly do the knot of her tie this morning and she had to do it for her and Yuqi – since Yuqi still doesn’t know how to tie it properly and either Shuhua or Soyeon do it for her.

Soyeon and Yuqi have an idea why the whole asking Miyeon to be her date at the ball is such a big deal for the younger girl. Especially knowing Miyeon would drop almost everything she is doing for Shuhua. Ever since they have known Shuhua, Miyeon has been after the younger girl. They don’t really know how they got close, but Shuhua and Miyeon have always been a thing, right from Shuhua’s first year at Hogwarts.

Miyeon, the little princess, and Shuhua, the Muggle-born, are an unexpected duo knowing they don’t share the same house nor are the same year. Yet, it feels like they have known each other from before, but Shuhua told them they met in the Hogwarts Express. Soyeon never had any opinion of Miyeon, she thinks the girl is nice and seems to look out for Shuhua a lot. Especially knowing Shuhua is a Muggle-born, and she still faces mean words despite it being her fifth year.

Soyeon and Yuqi try their best to protect Shuhua as well. They know the younger girl doesn’t like to talk about it and feels guilty when her friends confront those mean people for her. But Yuqi and Soyeon can’t help it, especially when Soyeon knows Shuhua sometimes cries at night because of it. She heard her, but she never dared to tell her about it. She knows Shuhua wouldn’t like it, so she tries to watch over her in secret.

« She didn’t even hesitate when she answered. I was scared someone would have asked her already… but she said she was still looking for a date. »

Shuhua is smiling big. Soyeon smacks Yuqi behind the head again, she doesn’t want the Gryffindor to tell Shuhua that surely Miyeon rejected everyone, waiting for Shuhua to ask her. Soyeon doesn’t know why Miyeon was waiting for Shuhua to ask her and didn’t ask herself but she suspects the princess's way of the girl to be the reason.

« That’s really great, Shu. I am happy Miyeon agreed. »

Soyeon grabs Shuhua’s hand in her and squeezes it three times before letting go. Shuhua knows it meant she is genuinely happy for her, and that she loves her; this is how Soyeon communicates her intimate emotions.

« What about you, guys? Who are you going with? »

« Someone asked me out. »

Yuqi is all proud of her news. Soyeon reaches for Shuhua’s hand again, the younger girl caresses the back of her hand out of habit. Yuqi explains a certain Lucas asked her out for the Ball. Soyeon knows Lucas very well, the boy is part of the Quidditch team as a Catcher. Soyeon thinks he is quite good as a player, and he is an okay person in general. Yet-

« So I will be going with him. »

Shuhua smiles at her friend, she thinks Lucas is a nice guy. When she was a first year, she lost herself and he kindly showed her the way back to the Gryffindor Tower. If you ask Shuhua, and a whole bunch of Gryffindors, Lucas is kind of Yuqi’s male version. Just like the redhead, he is very easygoing, fun to be with, enjoys taking on challenges, and his features are rather on the cute side.

Soyeon doesn’t react, but no one notices since Yuqi and Shuhua start to talk about Lucas. Yuqi explains the champions will open the Ball with a waltz, so she will have to train every night with Lucas so they can dance properly on the night of the Ball. Soyeon starts to gather her stuff with her available hand, then she informs her two friends that she has to go, she kisses Shuhua’s hand and leaves.

 


 

The small Gryffindor takes the direction of the Gryffindor Tower, she takes the secret passage in the trophy's room, reaches Gryffindor's common room without meeting anyone, continues to her room, and drops all of her stuff on her bed. She then quickly goes back to the ground floor and makes her way to the Dungeons. There she walks toward Slytherin’s entrance.

« Lemon meringue pie. »

The passage reveals itself, and she enters without any fear, except a seventh-year twice her size immediately stops her. She tells him she is searching for Soojin, and he tells her that Soojin is never in the common room, so she will have more chances by searching outside. Soyeon tells her it is so cold no one would go out at this temperature.

« Well, you will tell her that when you find her. »

Soyeon groans, she climbs back all the stairs to the ground floor and walks outside by the Training Grounds. Since December is just around the corner, the temperature has dropped considerably. Soyeon feels the cold wind blowing on her legs, as Hogwarts uniform is only made of a skirt, and she didn’t put on any tights today.

She continues to walk until she sees someone flying around the Quidditch Pitch. Obviously, she should have known. She walks around the castle until she reaches the entrance to the Quidditch Tower where she heads to the changing rooms, she takes out her broom and even changes into her Quidditch uniform - she will be less cold this way.

She doesn’t even wait to be outside and exits the changing rooms on her broom. If someone catches her she would be in so much trouble but she doesn’t care. A few seconds later, she is on the Pitch and Soojin notices her immediately. Soyeon points to the bleachers. They land in the same ones and sit down next to each other.

« What can I do for you? »

« Why do you believe I need something from you? »

Soojin shrugs, she looks in front of her at the white sky, it is covered in clouds. Her fingers despite the gloves are starting to feel numb since she has been out for a good hour now. Still, she doesn’t feel like going back inside. She feels like becoming numb as a whole, she doesn’t even want to talk to anyone, but she believes Soyeon would be okay to talk to.

« Do you have a date for the Ball, already? »

« I don’t want to talk about this stupid Ball. »

« Would you be my date? »

« Huh? »

Soojin turns toward Soyeon almost violently. She watches the Gryffindor, actually expecting her to be making fun of her, but the girl is totally serious, looking at her right in the eyes. She is holding into her Quidditch pants very strongly, munching on her bottom lips, trying to find a normal breathing pattern. Soojin needs a few seconds to digest that the girl is serious, and another second to think about an answer.

« … I don’t understand where is that coming from? »

« Just answer. »

« … »

Soojin looks down at her lap. She contemplates the situation for a long moment. There is one person she wanted to go to the Ball with: Shuhua. Unfortunately for her, the girl already found a date, and to Soojin’s bad luck, she witnessed it all happening. She had forgotten a sock in the Prefect's bathroom this morning, unfortunately, to gain the stairs to go back to the ground floor, she had to walk in front of the Art Classroom.

That is when she heard Shuhua’s voice. Her curiosity got the best of her; she heard everything. How Shuhua asked the question, how happily Miyeon agreed, and even how Shuhua laughed and complained about the kisses on her neck tickling her. She left there, she couldn’t handle more, almost crashing herself into the stairs from the speed, fortunately, some Slytherin caught her before she fell down the second floor.

« You do know we have to dance the waltz together, right? »

« Yes. Yuqi told me about it. »

« It means that we will have to rehearse together. A lot. I don’t like doing things halfway. »

« If you agree to be my date, I will do just as you tell me to do without complaining. »

Soojin rolls her eyes. She finds it funny; clearly, there is something Soyeon is after in this whole situation. She isn’t sure, but she believes it has something to do with Yuqi rather than being scared of not finding a date. The Gryffindor is a proud one, she wouldn’t take anyone’s pity, and she would rather make things happen on her own terms.

« I feel like you aren’t giving me a choice. »

« I just want you to answer. »

« I will be your date. »

Soojin stands up, grabs her broom again, and turns to look at Soyeon. Her green eyes are inexpressive, she is masking her pain the best she can, refusing to show any weakness in her person. Still, she feels like it could be nice to be dancing with Soyeon, even if the girl is obviously using her for something else. Her messy hair flies with the wind.

« The rehearsals are after dinner in the Deathday Party Hall. »

Soyeon nods, and she climbs on her broom as well.

« With Mrs. Vera. »

Soojin smirks at the grimace Soyeon does when she hears the name of the teacher. They then decide on a path to fly around the castle. It makes Soyeon feel better and lets her free of worries as she follows Soojin around at full speed. They continue until they feel too cold they can’t even feel their fingers and their toes anymore.

 


 

Soojin doesn’t know how she finds herself in the middle of situations she doesn’t want to be in. Like right now as Minnie is asking out some guy to be her date. The girl is acting cute, using her beautiful eyes to appeal to him. Her voice is higher than usual, and Soojin finds it distasteful how her skirt is even shorter than usual. Minnie has always liked having her skirt shorter than the uniform one but here Soojin believes it is too much.

Soojin ends up seeing the boy Minnie has chosen, he is a Slytherin as well, named Bambam. Soojin knows him well because he is the one who pushed her to pursue Quidditch in her first year even if first years are rarely taken into the Quidditch team. He is also the first friend she made, even if nowadays they don’t talk much to each other, he is always here to help her if she needs it. He never cared about the accident that cause her to get kicked out of the team.

In those times, he was her friend too, he silently sat next to her during meals when everyone else refused to talk to her. Soojin could count on him and Minnie, and she is not surprised to see Minnie choose him out of everyone she could have chosen. Soojin continues her walk back to the Dungeons, trying not to think too much about the things she saw without wanting to.

In the Dungeons, she changes out of her uniform and decides to go for a shower before dinner. She stays under the warm water for a long time, knowing no one will come for a shower just before dinner. When she gets out, her hair is soaked, and more of a mess than usual but she doesn’t have the heart to brush them. Instead, she puts on another uniform, as it isn’t the weekend and she has to wear her uniform every time she is in the common part of the school such as the Great Hall.

 


 

« Hi! »

Soojin turns around, and spots Shuhua, the Gryffindor looks adorable with her little shy smile. She points to the Quad saying quietly to follow her. It is cold there and Soojin’s hair is still wet, Shuhua kindly asks her if it is okay if she makes them dry with a spell. Soojin nods and watches how Shuhua’s golden magic touches her and makes her hair dry.

« I heard you were busy with the rehearsals. I have been waiting for you to hang out on the Quad after dinner. You said you came here often… »

Soojin feels her heart growing in her chest. She tries to act as if it isn’t bothering her. Shuhua next to her is looking at her hands, waiting for Soojin to say something. But the Slytherin doesn’t know what are words right now.

« I don’t want to sound weird, but I have been looking for you around the castle without any luck. I even waited in front of Slytherin Dungeons but- »

« Did someone say something bad to you? »

Shuhua is surprised by Soojin’s sudden concerned tone. The green eyes of the older girl are trying to decipher on Shuhua’s face if something bad happened to her. She knows how Slytherins can be, especially to Gryffindors and even more when the student is a Muggle-born. If anyone did something to Shuhua, Soojin will make sure they will never be able to sleep ever again without fearing for their life.

« No. Nothing bad happened. I just thought it might be too much. I just missed hanging out with you. But I understand, you are busy. »

« Are you free this weekend? »

« Oh… I already have plans with Miyeon, but… we can meet at night. Yuqi, Soyeon, and I discovered something I think you would enjoy. »

Soojin raises an eyebrow at the smile Shuhua tries to hide. The girl bites her bottom lip, and Soojin’s eyes follow the movement intensely.

« You can’t say it to anyone, okay? It is a secret, and if you tell Yuqi or Soyeon I told you, they are going to kill me. You have to promise. »

« I promise. »

« Well, last week, since neither of us could sleep, we decided to go for a walk. We usually go around the castle for a bit, and then we go back to bed. We have our regular itinerary where we know no one will catch us, but this time something was different. We found a new secret passage. »

« A new secret passage? »

« Yes. And it leads to a room we had never seen before. I think you will like it! »

Soojin can’t help her smile, Shuhua is all excited at the idea of showing her. She doesn’t even realize the Gryffindor naturally holds her hand in hers, and she finds her eyes falling on Shuhua’s lips again. Soojin looks away and remembers the information that caught her attention.

« Wait. You said a new secret passage. Does it mean… there are others? »

« Hum! You didn’t know? »

Soojin shakes her head. No, she didn’t know there are secret passages in Hogwarts. And she can’t believe she learns about it in her last year, and from someone younger than her. The Gryffindor smirks at Soojin, it is not a mocking smirk, just an amused one about the situation.

To Soojin’s disappointment, they can’t stay much longer together, and have to go eat dinner. Soojin walks Shuhua to her table before deciding to sit just behind her, this way they aren’t far away from each other, it is Shuhua would suggest the idea. Soojin understands Shuhua missed her.

 


 

Minnie doesn’t understand Soojin. That is what runs through her mind every time they rehearse the waltz. The choreography isn’t difficult in itself, but making it look natural and elegant is something else. The three couples only need one week to remember the entire choreography, and Mrs. Vera is quite impressed by the quality of their performances. The remaining weeks are spent making it perfect, being smoother, and understanding their partner better.

At some point in the choreography, they exchange partners. Soojin finds herself with Bambam - the Slytherin boy teases her every time they are dancing together. Minnie finds herself with Lucas, but they usually don’t talk much as Lucas is very impressed by Minnie. And Yuqi finds herself with Soyeon, there is a weird tension when they dance together, but they refuse to talk about it and act as if everything is fine.

Bambam makes Minnie turn and the girl comes back toward him. They follow the rhythm of the waltz, looking deep into each other eyes. It makes Minnie realizes how better it would have been if she could have chosen Soojin as her partner. Here she sees so much of Bambam, she feels like he is in front of her, and she knows he sees so much in her eyes as well.

« You like her, don’t you? »

« I don’t want to talk about it. »

« She doesn’t like you back. »

Minnie can’t escape Bambam’s grey eyes. Her thoughts are cascading down her eyes and she can’t stop it, she hates it, but she is glad Bambam is the one dancing with her. She has always liked the boy, and she remembers wishing to be a Slytherin as the two persons she had met on the train happened to join this house. Ravenclaw felt lonely at the beginning.

Bambam gives a look in Soojin and Soyeon’s direction, he knows Soojin well enough, and he understands the girl didn’t choose Soyeon because she likes her. His Slytherin mind is more powerful than others think, he teases a lot but observes even more. His eyes follow Soyeon’s, it makes sense now, it is some kind of triangle happening around him.

Minnie likes Soojin, Soyeon likes Yuqi, Yuqi likes Soyeon and Lucas likes Minnie. That Lucas liked Minnie, he knew very much, and so he was very surprised that the Gryffindor didn’t ask Minnie instead of Yuqi, but what does he know about Gryffindor and their stupid logic?

Bambam focuses back on Minnie in his arms, they have been waltzing around the room on a different waltz than the one of the Ball just so they could get smoother with their steps. Minnie is very good at it, and Bambam likes those moments with her, he believes the Ravenclaw is a great wizard and a very good dancer.

« She likes someone else. »

« I know it isn’t Soyeon. Who is it? »

« Shuhua. A Gryffindor. »

« Really? A Gryffindor? That’s unexpected. »

Minnie’s eyes become harder as if she is trying to fight something off. In the end, her brown pupils let themselves be read by Bambam. It tells everything about the pain in the poor girl’s heart, about how much she keeps for herself. Bambam smiles kindly at her, he tries to tell her that right now she can rest on him.

« What about you? Don’t you have someone you like? »

« I have someone I like. She graduated last year. So, for my last year, dancing with the first person I met on the train, I think it is a good ending. »

« You are already so nostalgic, we haven’t even taken the N.E.W.T. »

« Don’t you feel a bit sad that Hogwarts is almost over for us? »

« You speak like Miyeon. »

« Miyeon as in Cho Miyeon? She is my partner in Divination. Lovely girl. I don’t understand why that would be a bad thing. »

Minnie rolls her eyes. Bambam raises an eyebrow, it isn’t the reaction Minnie usually has for others. Actually, it is rare that Minnie even mentions a name outside Soojin’s, she is friends with a lot of people but only cares about a few. Minnie has always been as if she is passing through people, but nothing and no one can reach her.

« So Miyeon. What do you like about her? »

« What do I like? »

« Hum! »

« Well, she is interesting. She is smart, and she likes fashion like me. She is calm, she laughs a lot, and she is… very girly. And obviously, she is pretty. »

« Hum… So Miyeon, why did you not ask her to be your date? I feel like you two would have had a good time. »

« Less chatting more waltzing! »

Minnie smiles at Mrs. Vera, but the second the woman is looking somewhere else, Bambam and her continue their conversation.

« Shuhua is Miyeon’s date. She asked her before I could. »

« Shuhua? The same Shuhua than Soojin’s Shuhua? »

« Yes. How many Shuhuas do you think attend this school? »

Bambam chuckles, Minnie’s sarcasm doesn’t scare him. He thinks for a moment, it annoys him as he can’t put a face on Shuhua’s name. He doesn’t have any memory of ever meeting the girl, and it is weird because he knows almost all of the oldest students. In any case, this Gryffindor girl must be something as she got two girls after her.

« So this Shuhua is stealing all of your girls? »

Minnie glares at him. Bambam chuckles and Mrs. Vera scolds them for their lack of seriousness. The Head of House decides to have the three couples do the whole choreography with the waltz of the Ball. They take their position in the room, each couple coming from a different side of the room. Minnie and Bambam are the first ones to start, then comes Soojin and Soyeon, and finally Yuqi and Lucas. Mrs. Vera wanted it to be in the same order as the one they got chosen by the Goblet of Fire.

Yuqi can’t help watching the Soojin and Soyeon couple. Soojin is leading Soyeon around, the way they are looking into each other eyes when they are face to face is making Yuqi tick. Soyeon trusts Soojin completely, following the Slytherin blindly. It bothers Yuqi how good they are together, how careful Soojin is with her, and how they now exchange knowing smiles when they meet in the castle. It should be her with Soyeon.

Lucas leads Yuqi toward the other couples, they waltz together, and even if they find their steps quite easily around each other, there isn’t any chemistry. Yuqi knew from the beginning it would be the case, Lucas has feelings for someone else he told her, and Yuqi told him she was fine with it. The two Gryffindors have known each other for a while now, and they are comfortable being this close to each other, but unlike the two other couples, something is missing. Bambam and Minnie, and Soojin and Soyeon have managed to create a real connection. The teacher explained it has nothing to do with romantic feelings, but everything to do with what is on their mind as they are dancing. Yuqi has Soyeon in her mind every step she takes, and her energy clashes with Lucas’ who has Minnie in his.

 


 

« Stop doing it. »

« Doing what? »

« You know what. »

« Oh… Looking in your eyes? I am just following Mrs. Vera’s words. »

« Whatever. »

Soojin makes Soyeon turns on herself, they take a step away from each other before coming back closer. Soyeon reads everything in Soojin’s green pupils, she had never realized how clear they are, how easy it is to understand so much about the Slytherin. The girl’s eyes are like an open book, with many chapters to read, and Soyeon can’t help herself. She already knows some of them from their long discussion during Wizard Chess, but right now it is even deeper.

Every time she dives into those emerald eyes, she feels like she is traveling inside so many layers of the Slytherin. When they are dancing, she can feel the girl isn’t with her anymore, her mind is thinking about someone else, and Soyeon has an idea who it might be.

« Are you thinking about someone else when we are dancing? »

« … »

« Your eyes are very expressive. »

« Hum. »

« I know you are reading mine as well. I don’t think it is such a crime. »

« I don’t need to read your eyes to know. Your entire body is talking for you. »

« What do you mean? »

« Girls! »

Soojin’s green eyes express an emotion Soyeon doesn’t know how to read. They don’t talk more, instead, they focus on dancing. Their hour and a half of rehearsal is done, and they all thank Mrs. Vera with a bow as they are all exhausted, after all, they started their days early in the morning and only finish late at night. The exhaustion makes their habits come back, and Mrs. Vera thinks it is very interesting how they all bow out of thankfulness as they are leaving. All of them are very careful to adapt to the custom in England and have deleted bowing in their behavior, except it does come back at times, especially when they are exhausted. Mrs. Vera thinks it is lovely of them.

 


 

« Soojin? »

Shuhua smiles when she feels the girl’s hand on her arm, she guides it down until they are holding each other hand so they don’t lose themselves. Shuhua gave Soojin rendez-vous in the Entrance Hall behind one of the pillars. They now have to go back to the fourth floor where the secret passage is.

Soojin feels a weird kind of electricity running through her body - the sensation starts in the hand Shuhua is holding. She looks down at their joined hands, and she can’t help feeling her heart growing in her chest.

« Be careful on the stairs. »

« Don’t worry, I can see. »

« What do you mean? It is pitch black. »

« Oh… I can see in the dark. »

Shuhua is surprised, she turns to look at Soojin, but she doesn’t see much of the girl. At night, only certain corridors are lit up, but right now they have to be careful in the moving stairs as there is barely any light to see where they are going. Soojin pulls on Shuhua’s hand just before the girl falls. Shuhua asks more questions about Soojin’s eyes; indeed her green eyes are not common for someone with a Korean background. Soojin only says her eyes have always been this way, and she has always been able to see in the dark.

Shuhua stops asking questions when she realizes the topic isn’t one of Soojin’s favorites. They reach the fourth floor without being caught. Shuhua takes the corridor of the library but continues further. She explains it is another way to reach Gryffindor Tower, then she turns left and they are indeed in front of the Gryffindor entrance. Soojin hasn’t been here in years.

Shuhua continues, she then takes a corridor hidden by an illusion behind a door and a wall, and she uses her wand to light up the way. The corridors are smaller than the ones before, and eventually, they reach a room. Shuhua has no idea what is the purpose of this room, but it has windows starting in the middle of the wall and finishing touching the ceiling.

« Close your eyes. »

« What? »

« You have to close your eyes, it is a surprise. »

Soojin does as Shuhua tells her. The Gryffindor gets something out of the bag she had been carrying with her. Soojin hears some noise being made before feeling like something is flying around her. She now feels Shuhua’s presence next to her, the girl takes her hand in hers before telling her to open her eyes slowly. Soojin does just as she says, and opens he eyes big when she sees a sea of fireflies flying around the room.

Tonight is especially dark, making the fireflies even shinier. Shuhua is looking at her with a content smile, very proud of herself. She asks Soojin if she likes it, the Slytherin only nods; it is so beautiful she doesn’t know how to put words to describe what she sees and feels. Shuhua lets go of her hands and turns around. She comes back to Soojin and pulls her with her.

« It is like we have our own night sky. »

« It is beautiful, Shuhua. »

« Wait here. »

Shuhua gets her bag and pulls out a protective carpet, a blanket as well as two pillows from it. She lays them on the floor of the room and tells Soojin to join her. The Slytherin sits down awkwardly, Shuhua pushes her to lie down so they can look at the fireflies as if they were stars.

« Since you like watching the stars so much, and it is so cold outside, I thought it could be a good idea. »

« Thank you. Thank you, Shuhua. »

Soojin feels Shuhua’s hair against her cheek, she moves away but the girl grips her hand and tells her to come closer. They are laying next to each other, the sky of stars shining brightly only for them. Shuhua takes Soojin’s hand to her chest and holds it against her heart. Soojin focuses on the fireflies because she doesn’t know what else to do. Her heart is so big it feels like her chest is going to explode.

They do fall asleep in the room of fireflies. The fireflies find a way to escape, and soon only a few of them are left, keeping the room dark. Shuhua is still holding into Soojin’s hand and Soojin turns in her sleep to face Shuhua.

 


 

Miyeon has never been a big fan of sharing. Especially people she likes. So it is quite a strong emotion she feels when she sees Shuhua in Soojin’s arms. Well, this is what she sees, what is happening is that Shuhua asked Soojin to teach her how to waltz. Soojin refused at the beginning, but she ended up agreeing as she found it hard to resist Shuhua. Here they are on the snowy Training Grounds waltzing together, but Shuhua isn’t very good yet and she keeps messing up her steps.

Miyeon has the unfortunate luck to catch the moment when Shuhua loses her balance and Soojin catches her in her arms. But still, the two look a little bit too comfortable with each other for Miyeon. Shuhua is laughing, and Soojin is holding Shuhua by the hips. Maybe, Miyeon should reflect on what is going on inside her heart, but she chooses to confront the two.

« Shuhua! »

The Gryffindor turns around, gets back on her feet, and greets Miyeon with a smile. But, she doesn’t let go of Soojin, and her hands are still on the girl’s shoulders. Miyeon walks even closer, the snow crips under her feet, but she doesn’t have the time to find it interesting.

« What are you doing in the cold like that? »

« Soojin was showing me how to waltz. Mrs. Vera has been teaching her, and I wanted to know too! »

Miyeon’s eyes go to Soojin. The Slytherin is looking at Shuhua intensely, her green eyes not leaving the younger girl’s face. It bothers Miyeon so much, she wants to pull Shuhua against her. But she knows she is stronger than her pulsations, instead, she keeps on smiling.

« That sounds nice. Maybe Soojin can show me too, this way I can waltz with Shuhua during the Ball. »

« Oh! That would be amazing. Do you mind teaching Miyeon as well? »

Soojin knows she will say “yes” if she looks into the warm brown eyes of the Gryffindor. Instead, she looks at Miyeon, and she feels a chill running up her spine; despite the nice smile the girl is giving her, she feels something is going on but she hasn't grasped it yet. Soojin’s attention is back on Shuhua as she feels the girl’s fingers on her neck.

« So? Are you okay with it, Soojin? »

« Oh… I believe it would be better if you ask someone else, Miyeon. »

Soojin moves her hands from Shuhua’s hips so she is now wrapping her arms around her waist. Miyeon grits her teeth in response, she realizes she hates seeing the two together. She comes closer to them, Shuhua lets go of Soojin and turns around, but Soojin’s arms are still around her waist. Miyeon responds to Shuhua’s words but her attention is fully taken by the two arms locking Shuhua away from her.

Miyeon has never liked Soojin. The first time she saw the girl, it was on the dock to board the Hogwarts Express, her dad told her to not get involved with fishy people. He was talking about Soojin; the girl’s family was well known for its ancestors being Death Eaters and one of her relatives having written a book about the Dark Arts. At this time, Soojin was just a child, but Miyeon followed her dad’s words. Even when Hufflepuff and Slytherin shared a class, Miyeon was careful to never get associated with the girl.

Soojin has always been very aware of Miyeon – just like everyone in Hogwarts – but never gave the girl any attention. Her first three years were spent playing Quidditch, the following two on her studies and the remaining one on Shuhua. Her seventh and last year at Hogwarts is the most interesting one, as she got to make new friends, and even became closer to her long-time crush.

« Hum… Did you need anything else, Miyeonnie? »

« No. It is all fine, see you later, Shu. »

Shuhua turns in Soojin’s arms the second Miyeon leaves. The Slytherin’s gaze goes from Miyeon to Shuhua a few times before finally focusing on the girl in front of her. Her cheeks are red from the cold, and her eyes are shining with the white of the snow reflecting in them, but Soojin’s eyes fall on her lips. She can’t help it, especially when the voice in her head is telling her to do something she will regret.

« Are you cold? »

« We should go warm up. »

Soojin nods, but she doesn’t let go of Shuhua, and the Gryffindor doesn’t make a move to head toward the castle. It lasts for a good minute, and neither of them moves. Soojin looks away, she lets go of Shuhua and they finally walk toward the castle. They spend the entire afternoon in the library, chatting with each other in the farthest corner from the librarian. Shuhua has one of her legs hanging on Soojin’s lap and they try their best to stay as quiet as possible despite Shuhua laughing at her own jokes and Soojin telling her to stay quiet.

 


 

Yuqi is what one would call a “social butterfly”, Minnie would prefer the term “annoying bug”. Ever since they have been chosen as champions for the tournament, Yuqi has been trying to befriend her. The Gryffindor did manage to befriend Soojin – to Minnie’s biggest surprise as she always assumed the Slytherin would rather be left alone. And it seems as if she is now challenging herself into making a friend out of Minnie. Unfortunately, Minnie is not on board with this whole idea of making friends with her rivals.

It doesn’t mean Yuqi will stop trying. It is precisely why Minnie is currently sitting at the Three Broomsticks Inn with an overly excited Gryffindor telling her about the time Soyeon stole ingredients in the Potion classroom to make firecrackers. Minnie would like to have an excuse to leave, but Yuqi is… funny.

And Minnie has been trying her hardest to push her away, but the girl keeps on coming back. So she believed saying “yes” once would maybe make her realize that she isn’t worth being friends with. Except Yuqi is just too hard to ignore. The girl tells the funniest stories – a great change from the usual so-serious Ravenclaws, the arrogant Slytherins, and the goodie-two-shoes Hufflepuffs. The redhead is loud, adventurous, and as many Gryffindors reckless.

Minnie decides to give up and falls for the charm of the Gryffindor faster than she would have thought. They continue their afternoon in Hogsmeade with a shopping session. Neither of them minds the biting cold of winter, and they enter and exit shops at an excited rhythm. Minnie is even locking arms with Yuqi as they make their way back to the castle. They bought some sweets at Honeydukes, some stationaries at Spintwitches Sporting Needs, and some jokes at Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes.

« You know what we should do next time? »

Minnie shakes her head, Yuqi pulls her closer and whispers something so crazy in Minnie’s ear that the Ravenclaw can’t help but open her eyes big. She even agrees to Yuqi’s idea, and they spilt up on the third floor where Minnie makes her way to the Ravenclaw Tower while Yuqi continues to the fourth floor to reach the entrance of the Gryffindor Tower.

Minnie can’t wipe off the smile on her lips, she doesn’t remember the last time she had so much fun with someone. Yuqi is just something else entirely, a crazy mind in such an innocent body, she understands better why Mrs. Vera always seems annoyed when she sees the Gryffindor’s face. In a way, Minnie is grateful the girl almost forced her to be her friend; but in another way, she wonders if it isn’t Yuqi’s plan all along. To befriend everyone into letting her win the tournament. Except Minnie refuses to become soft, if she is capable of fighting off her long-time crush and friend Soojin, it isn’t a friendly Gryffindor who will make her forget her goal.

 


 

The Christmas Ball comes right after the exams of the first semester. On a Thursday, leaving the entire Friday for the students to hang out together before the annual winter break. Everyone above the age of fifteen is invited, but the youngest students have to find themselves a date to enter; Mr. Bancroft only put this rule in place so the youngest wouldn’t make a wild party over the formal event. In the end, most students decide to go to the Ball with a date.

In the Gryffindor’s Tower, there is a room with three overly anxious and excited girls who keep on bumping into each other as they are getting themselves ready. Shuhua’s mom, who is a well-known stylist in the Muggle world, made a dress for her daughter, and one for Miyeon. The younger girl is wearing a white dress, revealing her delicate shoulders thanks to the thin straps. The dress elegantly reaches the floor, and Soyeon styled her dark hair with some white pearls that she made sparkly with a twist of her wand.

« You look like a princess. »

Soyeon and Yuqi are standing behind Shuhua who is facing the mirror. They admire the girl for a long minute before Shuhua starts to feel her cheek turn red; she claps her hands and urges her two friends to get ready for the Ball instead of looking at her like that. Yuqi chuckles and goes to her closet where she pulls out her dress.

Yuqi’s dress is inspired by Qipao with a more evasive silhouette to leave her free of her movements while dancing the waltz. The golden embroideries on the red Qipao are laced with gold making it sparkle when the lights hit it. Only for the night, her usual long orange hair is now black. Shuhua helps her choose a pair of earrings, and corrects her makeup. Yuqi chooses make-up that pushes her Chinese heritage to the light, showing an aspect of herself rarely seen. Soyeon looks at Yuqi from her bed, faking being busy with her own dress. The reality is that she finds Yuqi more beautiful than ever, and her heart is getting too excited for her to focus.

« What are you wearing, Soyeonnie? »

Soyeon looks up, she finds Shuhua in front of her, waiting expectantly for her to reveal her outfit. She has to admit Shuhua is very beautiful in this dress, and the light makeup Yuqi did for her. The small Shuhua she met three years ago has grown up into a gorgeous young woman.

« A dress. »

Shuhua chuckles when she realizes Soyeon must be way more nervous than she lets it show. The younger girl decides to help Soyeon get dressed. Her dress has a similar design to Shuhua’s but the back is laced, and Shuhua spends a good two minutes figuring out what goes where. The royal blue of the dress and the multiple embroideries on the fabric mix perfectly with Soyeon’s pale tone – thanks to the winter season. Shuhua has the idea to make Soyeon’s hair silvery for the night, to which the small Gryffindor agrees. Shuhua adds some blueish highlights before choosing a pair of earrings for her friend. Soyeon doesn’t want to wear a necklace and leaves her neck free of accessories.

« Wow. You look beautiful, Soyeon. »

Yuqi comes close to Soyeon and asks her to turn on herself. Shuhua wonders if they plan out their dress color on purpose as they look very much like Loïs and Clark with this red and blue theme. She knows her friends wouldn’t understand her Muggle reference so she keeps it to herself. Soyeon wants them to take pictures together, using the camera Shuhua keeps with her even at Hogwarts. It is a Muggle one, but it is so old the magic of the castle doesn’t seem to have any effect on it. Shuhua sets it up, and they pose three times together. Shuhua is as always in the middle, squeezed by both Soyeon and Yuqi; she doesn’t have to try very hard to smile as she naturally feels happy between her two friends.

As the time for the Ball is getting closer, Yuqi and Soyeon suddenly start to become more nervous. Shuhua warns them that she will leave the room if they can’t calm down. She eventually does, and Soyeon and Yuqi find themselves alone in the suddenly too-small room.

« She really left. »

« You know she always does as she says she will. »

« … You look really beautiful. »

« Thank you. You don’t look so bad yourself. »

« You should work on your compliment skills more, Soyeonnie. »

« … Are you happy to go to the Ball with Lucas? »

« Well… I know I am not his first choice. And he isn’t mine either, but we are both okay with it, I believe. »

« Who is your first choice? »

Yuqi frowns, she looks at Soyeon as if she is saying the dumbest thing in the world, but the girl isn’t letting go, waiting for an answer.

« You, obviously. You are always my first choice. »

« Oh… »

« I thought you knew. You are my favorite person, Soyeon. You were the first person I was interested in back in the Hogwarts Express, and I asked the Sorting Hat with all my heart to put us both in the same house. »

« You did? »

« Yes! It immediately told me I would be a Gryffindor. But I asked him to change my house if you wouldn’t be in the same one as I was. »

« How could the Sorting Hat know about me? I mean, I was sorted at least twenty students after you. »

« My dad explained to me the Sorting Hat reads all the new students' files to have a general idea about them. Then when it is on your head, it makes its final decision. So, it already knew about you. »

« … The Sorting Hat told me I would be a great Slytherin. »

Yuqi agrees. Soyeon would have done more than well as a Slytherin, and she believes if they hadn’t met on the train, Soyeon would have ended up in Slytherin. But in this version of the story, Yuqi wouldn’t have been friends with Soyeon, and maybe Yuqi wouldn’t have been friends with Shuhua either, and surely Yuqi wouldn’t have participated in the Tournament. She knows, half of her strength comes from the deep and powerful friendship she grew with Soyeon. The small girl always encouraged her, pushed her to go further – most of the time for the worst as it got them in a lot of trouble over the years –, and to believe in herself.

Soyeon has a beautiful fire burning inside her that Yuqi is lucky she is willing to share with her. Their duo is Yuqi's favorite thing about going to Hogwarts, and her friendship with Soyeon is the most beautiful thing she has ever created. She doesn’t want to lose it. Ever.

« I am grateful to be a Gryffindor with you, Yuqi. »

 


 

The entrance of the two Gryffindors makes quite a noise as they get down the Great Staircase. Yuqi is surprised to feel Soyeon’s hand in hers, the way the smaller girl is squeezing her hand tells her everything she needs to know about how anxious she is. She rubs her thumb on the back of her hand, but Soyeon’s grip doesn’t get any looser. Yuqi searches for Shuhua in the crowd of students without managing to spot her.

As they arrive down the stairs, Lucas and Soojin are waiting for them. Lucas’s eyes are reflecting his surprise facing such a different side of Yuqi. He takes her hand gently and puts it on his forearm. As usual, there isn’t much chatting between them. The Gryffindor boy only tells her from the tips of his lips that he finds her pretty before taking the direction of the Great Hall. The entrance has been prohibited to everyone except the three champions. Mrs. Vera is waiting for them with Mr. Bancroft.

Soojin and Soyeon are right behind Yuqi and Lucas. Soojin is not wearing a dress to Soyeon’s surprise. Instead, she has a clear grey suit, with a beautiful and quite revealing bustier top hidden under her jacket. Soyeon wonders where did she find such a thing, to which Soojin answers in Muggle fashion. Her short black hair is for once stylized in a half bun with bangs. Something different from her usual messy hair.

Soojin keeps Soyeon’s hand on her forearm as well and kindly looks at Soyeon as she feels all the nervous energy of the girl. In a way, Soyeon is relieved to know Soojin is her date, the girl has always been quite a chill and unbothered person. She believes there is no one else that could have put up with her over-the-top anxiety.

« Only Minnie is missing. »

« Don’t worry, Bambam and she will be here any minute. »

Yuqi and Lucas join them, as Yuqi believes talking with her friends will calm her down. It is kind of nerve-wracking to tell herself she will soon be dancing in front of a good part of the school a waltz she only learned in a month. She doesn’t want to mess up, and she feels pressured to have so much attention on her while doing something she doesn’t completely have the hang of.

Fortunately, Soojin’s kind green eyes make her calm down. Yuqi reaches for Soojin’s hand with her available hand, the Slytherin doesn’t say anything and lets the girl play with her fingers – as long as it helps her relax. They wait another five minutes before Bambam and Minnie enter the Great Hall.

Lucas lets out an exclamation when he sees the two entering the room. Interestingly enough, Bambam and Minnie are wearing each other’s house colors. Minnie has an elegant green dress while Bambam wears a sapphire blue suit. Together, they look divine. Minnie has stylized her white and black hair in a complex way so her neck is well exposed to reveal her beautiful collarbones, and Bambam has his usual white hair making him look out of this world.

Soojin smiles at her friend, but held by the two anxious Gryffindors, she can’t get to Minnie to compliment her on her looks. Instead, she smiles at her and nods. Minnie’s eyes don’t leave Soojin. She finds her friend gorgeous, and in a way, it makes her crush on the girl even bigger. She always knew Soojin was beautiful, but it is another thing to see her so perfectly dressed and with her makeup properly done.

« Since everyone is here, we can now start the Ball. »

Mr. Bancroft, the Headmaster, leaves the Great Hall by a secret door leading to the Second Hall where the Ball is taking place. Mrs. Vera gives the three couples her last instructions before they direct themselves toward the main entrance of the Second Hall. Minnie and Bambam are the first to enter the room, followed by Soojin and Soyeon, and finally Yuqi and Lucas. The music is already playing as they enter with a well-rehearsed choreography before each couple goes to take their spot in the room.

 


 

« Do you trust me? »

« Hum. »

«Then everything is going to be fine. »

« Hum. »

Soojin tries to make Soyeon look her way but the Gryffindor’s eyes are roaming the room furiously. Soojin squeezes Soyeon’s hip to get her attention on her. The silvered hair girl finally looks her way, and Soojin reads so many worries in her dark pupils, she actually wonders if the girl is going to be okay.

« You look beautiful. And we are going to be okay. »

Soyeon nods, she loses herself in Soojin’s green pupils for a moment. They look calm, inviting, and warm. She takes a deep breath and smiles.

 


 

« Lucas really has the hots for you. »

« I don’t care. »

« Figured seeing the way you looked at Soojin. »

« What does that mean? »

« It means what it means. You were almost drooling over her when you spot her. I understand but have some- Ouch. »

Bambam doesn’t even flinch after the punch Minnie gives him. He continues to smile, his gray eyes full of malice, but Minnie knows better than to take it the wrong way. She takes a breath and quickly looks in Soojin’s direction; the Slytherin girl is chatting with Soyeon, obviously, the small Gryffindor is anxious and Soojin is trying to calm her down.

« Is that why you like her? »

« What? »

« Her kindness. »

« Many people are kind. »

« … Thinking of it, Miyeon as well is particularly kind. »

« What kind of theory- »

« You want kindness, don’t you? »

« Everyone likes kind people. »

It is true, but Miyeon and Soojin are another level of kind. While Soojin shows neutrality in most situations, she shows extreme kindness and compassion to the people she cares about. It goes beyond what most people would expect of her, and Minnie always found it very attractive. Miyeon on the other hand shows kindness to any and everyone, but for the people she actually likes, she cares in such a warm way, Minnie could only feel attracted to her. And maybe this is why she finds herself interested in Miyeon as well despite her heart still balancing feelings for Soojin.

 


 

The waltz starts. Minnie and Bambam are the first ones who start dancing. The chemistry between them is high, and their outfit responds to each other, making them seem like two sides of the same entity. Minnie is light on her steps, Bambam seemingly making her fly around him. Soojin and Soyeon join them. Their chemistry is different but just as enchanting. The two girls are like a match made in heaven, with Soyeon entirely trusting Soojin who makes her turn around her in such a beautiful way it makes some girls' heart flutter.

Yuqi and Lucas are the last ones to join the waltz. Their chemistry seems lacking compared to the two other couples, but still, they excel together. Yuqi is catching a lot of attention in her red Qipao, just like Lucas in his matching Changshan. He and Yuqi are quite a rare sight together despite being part of the same house, and some are telling themselves that the two look unexpectedly good together.

Mrs. Vera is watching from the corner, her eyes leading the couples silently. She is as stressed as them, wanting everything to go well. To her surprise, Yuqi and Lucas seem to have found some kind of connection, and their performance is way better than what they have been doing during the rehearsals. When comes time for the couple to change partners, it is surprising to see how Bambam and Soojin go so well together, Soyeon and Yuqi give the best chemistry out of everyone and Lucas and Minnie lead perfectly the other couple.

The three couples go back to their partner, ending the waltz in a perfect position. Their performance earns them big applause from the students and teachers, it actually surprises everyone to see what they are capable of doing, and how well they did it. The music changes for another lighter dance, and everyone is allowed to join the dance floor. Mrs. Vera told the couples to dance at least three dances together before enjoying their night.

 


 

« Are you searching for someone? »

« Just looking around. »

« Shuhua is wearing a white dress. »

Soojin looks away. Soyeon chuckles at her reaction - the small Gryffindor has figured out her Slytherin friend might have a little something for the younger girl. Soojin continues to dance, her eyes perking up every time she spots something white without much success. Until everyone's attention seems taken by something coming from the main entrance.

It is Miyeon. The Hufflepuff girl makes an entrance out of a movie, appearing late to the Ball, and yet having the entire audience’s attention on her person. Her yellow and sky blue dress reminds of a cozy spring day, her blonde hair is put in a sophisticated bun at the back of her head, and her makeup rather modern makes her pretty eyes stand out. The point of attention however is on her chest where a shiny necklace – her father offered her for her birthday – is resting.

Soojin’s only focus is on the girl standing next to Miyeon. Shuhua, in her way less eye-catching dress, is looking like an angel. Soyeon tells Soojin to close , and the Slytherin feels a sudden blush raising on her cheeks.

The late couple enters further into the room, and Miyeon almost immediately asks Shuhua to dance with her. It is interesting how Miyeon bows so low for Shuhua, and the younger girl tells her she doesn’t have to. The two join the dance floor and are followed by other couples. Soojin and Soyeon continue to dance to the rhythm of the classical music, after all the Christmas Ball is quite a formal event.

 


 

Soyeon eventually leaves Soojin’s arms for Yuqi as the girl comes to them to ask for Soyeon’s hand. Soojin gives Soyeon a knowing look that the younger choose to ignore. Not long after, Soojin spots Minnie and Lucas dancing together, again. Since she is on her own, Soojin decides to go for a drink. It shouldn’t have any alcohol in it as the teachers have been watching the bar so no one tries to spike up the punch.

Soojin is sitting at a table, sipping on her drink, when a girl comes to her. A blonde, with beautiful blue eyes, and quite a y dress, asks Soojin for a dance. The Slytherin agrees. Not because she wants to but because Mrs. Vera told them to refuse no one. So Soojin dances with her, and her eyes fall on Shuhua… and Miyeon. The two seem to have the best fun together. It hurts Soojin that Shuhua didn’t see her waltz nor come to talk to her.

« I think you look very awesome, tonight. »

« Thank you. »

Soojin tries to smile, but she spots Miyeon and Shuhua leaving the dance floor at the same time so her face does something funny instead.

 


 

The two are at the bar, drinking something that isn’t the punch, and Soojin notices how Shuhua frowns – obviously the girl doesn’t drink alcohol.

« Is everything okay? »

« That’s alcohol. »

Miyeon takes the glass from Shuhua’s hand and tastes it. She even finishes it and tells her friend she will get her something soft. Shuhua waits for her to come back, she thanks Miyeon as the girl got her grape juice. Miyeon also brings back a plate of small snacks to share with Shuhua. Miyeon bits into one snack that reveals to be juicier than it looks, and finds herself covered in liquid.

« Do you mind joining me to the bathrooms? »

Shuhua follows her friend, holding hands with their finger interlaced together. They make their way to the ground floor bathroom, where Miyeon re-applies her lipsticks and checks her makeup while Shuhua runs her fingers in her hair a few times.

« Done. Let’s go back. »

The bathrooms are only an excuse. Miyeon pulls Shuhua behind one of the pillars, away from the curious eyes. Shuhua asks what is going on, but she doesn’t finish her sentence when she meets Miyeon’s eyes. Her light brown pupils are looking at Shuhua with something the younger girl always thought she was imagining: attraction.

Miyeon is blocking Shuhua from escaping, and the girl feels the cold of the stones against her back. But she isn’t scared, and she doesn’t want to escape. They look into each other eyes for what seems like an eternity before Miyeon gently starts to caress Shuhua’s cheek, she smiles, leaning closer, her eyes sparkling with excitement and desire. Shuhua puts her hands on Miyeon’s hips, she is worried she might faint if she doesn’t hold onto anything. Miyeon’s hand loses itself behind Shuhua’s head, in her soft hair, and she slowly pulls the girl closer while leaning in, until their lips touch. It sparkles everywhere in Shuhua’s universe, she thinks her world is entirely destroyed and reborn at the same time as she feels Miyeon’s soft lips on hers. It is unlike anything she has ever experienced, she grips Miyeon’s dress around the hips, not wanting to let go.

Miyeon pulls away, her eyes half-hooded as she looks at Shuhua before leaning in again to taste the sweet lips another time. She moves her lips, knowing her lipstick is ruined, but loving the pounding heart in her chest, and the electric energy at the tips of her fingers.

Miyeon knew this line was bound to be crossed one day, and she knew she would be the one crossing it. Still, she was scared Shuhua would reject her because she loves the younger girl so much, and losing her friendship would affect her greatly, so she waited. But tonight, when she saw the Gryffindor waiting for her in front of the Hufflepuff’s Basement, in her angelic white dress, with her innocent smile, she knew she couldn’t resist it.

Shuhua hugs her after their kiss. She lets go and drops her head, Miyeon tells her they don’t have to talk about it now. She just wants to enjoy the night with her, and that is what they do as they go back to the Second Hall. But as soon as they enter, Miyeon is stolen away by some Hufflepuff, and Shuhua by Soyeon.

 


 

« Where is Yuqi? »

« Oh… Okay, let me grab a napkin. »

« What? »

Soyeon tells Shuhua not to move and starts to clean up the corner of her lips. Shuhua realizes and turns red, fortunately for her, Soyeon doesn’t make any comment about it. They decide to go to the dancefloor together, Shuhua is really proud to show Soyeon the little amount of waltzing Soojin taught her. It is while making Soyeon turn on herself, that Shuhhua spots the most unexpected duo: Yuqi and Minnie.

« Since when are Yuqi and Minnie friends? »

« Don’t ask me. Yuqi dropped me for her without any explanation. »

Shuhua chuckles at the dramatic face Soyeon gives her. As usual, Yuqi is animating the celebration, even getting the teachers involved, while Minnie dances with her. Shuhua never thought the Ravenclaw had anything very likable about herself, but then again she never took the time to get to know her. Now that she sees how much fun she seems to have with Yuqi, she believes she might have judged her too quickly.

Shuhua promises Soyeon she won’t drop her like Yuqi did and continues to dance to the rhythm of the music with her friend. It is until, someone comes behind her, and asks her for a dance as the music started to slow down for a more intimate dance. Shuhua turns around, ready to give the person a negative answer, but-

« Soojin. »

« Hi. May I have this dance? »

Shuhua's lips curl in a smile at the sight of the girl. Soyeon slips an “I’ll leave you two.” before walking away from the two girls and toward Yuqi, decided to share this dance with the Gryffindor. Shuhua’s eyes can’t help themselves from going up and down Soojin’s body. The Slytherin has taken off her jacket, revealing her beautiful shoulders and her attractive neckline with the bustier perfectly adjusted to her chest.

« Is that… my mom’s? »

« Oh. Yes, I asked my cousin to order it for me and she made it delivered to Hogwarts. »

Shuhua nods, she did tell Soojin her mom is a stylist, but she didn’t expect the Slytherin to remember so well, nor to go as far as to buy a piece of her mom’s creations. She can’t help but touch it, placing her hand on Soojin’s belly without much thinking. It is indeed from her mom, the fabric is quite unique, and the details are all handmade.

Soojin takes her hand in hers and smoothly guides her toward the dance floor. She puts Shuhua’s hands on her shoulders and wraps hers around the girl’s waist. They are so close, Soojin can smell the grape juice from her breath, and every time she turns her head she smells the soft peachy scent of her skin. Shuhua looks her right in the eyes, her gaze unwavering. Soojin’s green eyes only see Shuhua, she can’t help but squeezes the girl a bit closer to her, and it feels as if they are in their own little world. Nothing but them matters.

It lasts more than one song, and their universe expands beyond the Second Hall. Shuhua steps away from Soojin, she gives her a beautiful smile, her eyes expressing thousands of different things at the same time, Soojin’s green ones understand every single one.

« Come with me. »

« What? But the Ball- »

« It is just for a minute. »

Shuhua rolls her eyes, still, she follows Soojin out of the Second Hall. The Slytherin grabs her jacket before leaving, she leads the younger girl through the Great Entrance and to the Quad. Shuhua chuckles when she sees where they are going, but Soojin seems quite serious about it. They sit next to each other, shoulders touching, and Shuhua even leans her head on Soojin’s shoulder.

« You look the prettiest tonight. »

« You look the most handsome tonight. »

« … I was scared it would look weird if I wasn’t wearing a dress. »

Shuhua reassures her, telling her she looks fantastic in it. They stay in comfortable silence together. Soojin notices Shuhua is getting cold so she puts her jacket around the girl’s shoulders and rubs her back. Shuhua leans even more against her, her forehead now touching Soojin’s neck, she has a full nose of Soojin’s perfume and she feels at peace.

« I saw you waltzing with Soyeon, you two strangely go well together. »

« You think so? »

« Yeah, very much. You were a great match. »

« Better than you and I? »

« … What? »

Shuhua is sure she did not drink any alcohol, so there is no way she is making this up in her head. She sits up properly, leaning away from Soojin now, and she looks longly at the girl. The Slytherin is looking right back at her, her green eyes suddenly so vulnerable, Shuhua notices the glimpse of hope shining in them.

Shuhua feels warm lips on hers, she closes her eyes and lets Soojin cups her cheek. The Slytherin slowly moves her lips against Shuhua’s, experiencing to the fullest the pleasure of sharing such an intense connection with the girl she has had feelings for the past two years. Shuhua opens her lips, as she feels Soojin’s tongue grazing the inside of .

The Slytherin wraps her arm around Shuhua’s waist to bring her closer, Shuhua holds into Soojin’s biceps as the older girl is leaning most of her weight on her small frame. The Gryffindor is trapped between the girl's body and the small wall they have been sitting on a few seconds ago.

« I am sorry- »

Shuhua wraps one arm around Soojin’s neck and brings her lips to hers. She has stopped thinking, deciding to freely lose herself in Soojin. She feels goosebumps as Soojin’s tongue enters , and she doesn’t want the thrilling sensation to stop any time soon.

It is Soojin who decides to pull away. Shuhua gives her a shy smile as they look into each other eyes. She did not plan what happened between them, but she doesn’t regret it either. So, she reluctantly lets go of Soojin, and they stand in a strange silence for a moment.

 


 

Eventually, Shuhua is getting too cold in her thin dress, and they go back to the Second Hall where the music is still playing. A part of the students left somewhere else surely for a secret after party, most of the remaining ones are dancing on the dancefloor and the others are busy at the bar or sitting at tables. Shuhua spots Yuqi and Soyeon chatting with each other at a table; apparently, the two have decided to enjoy each other company than being the center of the party, which is rare.

Miyeon is nowhere to be found, but Shuhua has a few ideas about where she could possibly be. And Minnie is still dancing with Lucas, but the second she spots Soojin entering the room again, she excuses herself to the Gryffindor and walks in Soojin’s direction. Shuhua decides to join Yuqi and Soyeon.

« Shu! Oh… Let me help you, come here. »

Soyeon grabs a napkin and starts to whip the corner of Shuhua's lips for the second time in the night. The younger girl feels her cheeks burning her, she sits down in front of her friend in silence. Maybe she should tell them?