This Feels Better

Curtain Call

Becky did not know whether she needed to be happy or not, seeing Freen still behaved normally, as if the kiss never happened. The latter casually drove while singing the song played on the radio. Her feelings were like the two-side of a coin. On one side she was disappointed that Freen didn't seem to think about the kiss, let alone talk about it. On another side, she was relieved that Freen still acted normal to her, the latter didn't seem to be awkward or made any distance with her.

 

She also could not understand herself for asking to have sleepover in Freen's place after she shamelessly kiss a person who sisterzoned her. She tried to reason with herself, she might only felt bad for doing such thing to Freen earlier and she wanted to make up by having sleepover in Freen's place. She furrowed her eyebrows and let out a sigh, knowing how ridiculous her reasoning was. Maybe, she wanted to talk it out with Freen to clear the misunderstanding caused by the kiss. She shook her head as she found it also unreasonable. Freen behaved normally, she did not seem like having any misunderstanding.

 

"Seems like you have a lot in your mind?" Freen stole a glance at Becky before putting her gaze back to the road in front of them. "Care to share?" Her voice sounded really sincere and made Becky felt even more guilty.

 

"I am fine, Phi Freen."

 

"But you look like the otherwise." Freen continued her concern. She took one hand off of the steering wheel, and silently took Becky's hand before holding it gingerly. Freen Becky's hand with her thumb before intertwining their fingers together. "You know you can tell anything to your sister, right?"

 

Becky loved the simple gesture. She loved the warmth of Freen's hand in hers. She loved how their fingers intertwined. She loved how sincere Freen voiced out her concern. But she disliked the words that came out from Freen's mouth. For a while there she wanted to shut Freen up. The more she heard the word sister, the more she wished to turn back the time and confessed after she kissed Freen. But she could not turn back time, and she was afraid her confession would part them apart.

 

"I will tell you when I am ready, Phi Freen." She forced a smile on her face and squeezed Freen's hand gently, trying to ensure the older girl.

 

"Ok na ka. Just tell me when you're ready." Freen squeezed back Becky's hand, and didn't let go of it. Her thumb grazed Becky's thumb every once in a while as if she tried to console the untold thoughts Becky had at the moment.

 

All those small acts made Becky's heart clenched. If Freen didn't repeatedly mention that they were sisters, she would already be at the highest sky, knowing that the person she liked a lot did this to console her. She then took her phone with her free hand and opened her instagram. She scroll through the home screen, trying to find something interesting until she found one post tagged by her fan. A post of her kissing scene with Freen for the pilot of this web series. She smiled when she read the caption:

 

"I hardly tell whether it's MonSam or FreenBeck."

 

She always loved it every time the fans shipped her with Freen because she shipped them as well. She then turned to Freen who still held her hand, didn't seem to let go at all. She silently admired the older girl who seemed to have her focus on the road. So, she looked at the busy street of Bangkok, noticing the traffic was as bad as usual.

 

"Aren't you tired, Phi Freen?"

 

Freen stole another glance at Becky and smiled. "Usually it's tiring. But not today because you're here with me." She answered playfully before grinning wide like a kid.

 

"Meh, lame pick up line." Becky playfully stuck out her tongue and pretended to cringe at Freen's answer.

 

"That's not a pick up line though." Freen chuckled before putting her gaze back to road in front of her.

 

Becky tried to keep smiling even though she really didn't like what she just heard.

 

"I really am happy because you're with me." Freen smiled while putting her focus on the road.

 

And Becky's heart felt lighter after hearing that. She mustered up her courage again to play along with the older one.

 

"Why are you happy though? Do you like me, Phi Freen?"

 

Freen nodded without a doubt. "Of course I like you. How can I not like my sister?"

 

Becky's heart sunk hearing the sister word again. She silently blamed herself for mentioning the kiss previously was only sisterly kiss.

 

"You kept calling me sister. I don't like it." She frowned and huffed loudly, trying to draw the line so Freen would not call her sister anymore.

 

"You don't like me calling you sister? What about Nong Becky?"

 

"No." She pouted this time.

 

"Why though?" Freen still held Becky's hand and had her attention to the road ahead.

 

"Because I am not a kid, Phi Freen." She still didn't have the guts to tell the reason. It's because I don't want to be your sister! I wanna be your girlfriend.

 

"But you call me phi." Freen tried to reason.

 

"Yeah, but it doesn't mean you need to call me nong." Becky retorted.

 

Freen chuckled upon hearing the protest from Becky. She tightened their holding hands and raised up their hands before putting the back of Becky's hand to her cheek. "Okay, then how should I address you?"

 

"Just Becky would be fine." Becky could not hold the smile on her face as she felt Freen's smooth cheek against the back of her hand.

 

"You're happy with just that? I thought you're going to ask for something like Becbec or Baby."

 

Becky could feel her face was getting warm at Freen's statement. "Does Phi Freen wants to call me Baby?"

 

Freen only hummed as she stole another glance at Becky. "Is that what you want?"

 

Becky huffed in annoyance, wondering why the girl next to her wouldn't be more straightforward.

 

"I will not call you nong, then." Freen concluded because she got no answer from Becky. "It's okay as long as I don't call you nong, isn't it?"

 

Becky nodded in agreement. "Yes, as long as it's not nong." Will you see me differently if you don't call me nong anymore, Phi Freen?

 

 

 

***

 

 

Freen had washed up and changed her clothes and now she looked at the mirror inside her bathroom. She tried her best not to bring up the kiss Becky gave her earlier today. She was dying to ask Becky whether it was really just a sisterly kiss or more than that. But she managed to hold herself.

 

"Freen, hold yourself. Don't let your hopes go high." She spoke to her own reflection in the mirror, staring straight to the reflection of her own eyes. "Just..." She sighed and closed her eyes for a brief moment before putting on staring contest with herself in the mirror again. "Just be grateful for having the chance to spend time together with her. No need to tell her about your feelings. If she wants to be just sisters, it's fine. If she wants to be clingy, it's also fine. You're happy enough with all that."

 

She nodded at the reflection in the mirror. "Okay, understood. Just enjoy the moment. You can do it, Freen!" She tapped on her shoulder as an effort to sink in the sentences she told herself. She took a deep breath and finally walked out of the bathroom.

 

"Are you sleepy already, Phi Freen?" Becky was already sitting on Freen's bed, wearing her sleepwear, shorts and pink tanktop.

 

Freen smiled and nodded, controlling herself not to put the gaze on the exposed skins. "Yes, a bit. Why? Are you sleepy already?" She walked towards the bed and sat next to Becky.

 

Becky also nodded. "Yes, already." She answered cutely and scoot over giving more space for Freen on the bed. She then lied herself on the bed and turned to Freen, giving a smile to Freen. "Let's sleep, Phi Freen."

 

Freen followed what the former did, laying herself on the bed before turned to Becky, making both of them lied on the bed, face facing each others. "Good night, Becbec."

 

"Good night, Phi Freen." Becky then closed her eyes, still with a smile on her face, making Freen smiled along, thinking how pretty the girl in front of her right now. She scooted closer and silently took Becky's hand to hold it gingerly before closing her eyes. This would be enough. To have her this close and be able to hold her hand is enough for me. I just want to be true to myself and my feelings. No need to ask for a relationship. This is enough.

 

"What are you doing, Phi Freen?"

 

Freen immediately opened her eyes again and looked at the girl in front of her who apparently still had her eyes closed.

 

"I am... holding your hand." She answered without pulling her hand off Becky's.

 

Becky smiled and pulled Freen's hand to circle her waist before she also landed her hands on Freen's waist. She then scooted closer to Freen so they could hug while sleeping. "This feels better." Her smile grew wider.

 

Freen smiled along, the widest smile she had for today as she caressed Becky waist. "Indeed, this feels better."

 

 

***