Chapter Six

Loser at Love

ch. 06 - the date

I was hoping that a dinner date at my favorite restaurant would change the moody atmosphere from before. When he arrived, he was expressionless. When he saw me approach him though, he smiled that smile again. I was happy that it was working. I made a note not to remind him of what happened the last time.
-------
"What would you like to order?" I asked casually, once we sat down at the table and the waiter handed us the menu.
"I really love pasta." He blushed. It was the first time I saw him like this. I grinned widely at him.
"So do I!" I exclaimed.
I decided to order the three cheese lasagna. Talon asked for ravioli.
-------
"This is really good," Talon commented as he took a bite from his plate.
"I know." I agreed, scarfing it down like usual.
"Pig," he smirked. I blushed but tried to frown at him. Instead, it turned into a huge smile.
"You've got something on your teeth..." he mumbled. I blushed again, while Talon let out a hearty laugh.
"So, what were you talking about to Xena before?" Whoops. I let it slipped.
"I mean-- I'm sorry! I didn't mean to remind you about that!" I shouted.
"No, no it's fine. We were just discussing about how we were doing now." Talon took another bite from his plate but now his mood was somber. I let out a sigh. Talon noticed.
"Don't worry about it," he assured. "Thanks for taking me on this date by the way. It's going fantastic." He also added that smile. I grinned at him, already made sure that there was nothing in my teeth.
-------
I had a good rest that night. I was pretty sure Xena's warning was only to scare me. Was she jealous? I decided to set the thought aside. Tomorrow was a Saturday and I had to work again. I didn't want to come to work as the groggy monster.
~~
"Hello Marie!" I greeted my boss with a wide smile and a friendly wave.
"What's gotten into you? Was it some boyfriend of yours?" Marie was a big woman. And she had quite an attitude. But we were friends now. She still had some kindness underneath it all. Basically, what she's saying had a double meaning.
"You're correct." I blushed. Marie smiled a little at me.
"Oh my god! Did Marie just smile??" The rambling fourteen year old, Danny Chek was about it again. And Marie was after him-- again. I laughed and decided to start setting up the register.

----
"We're doing really good today, Marie." Marie nodded, noticing the progress also.
"It's probably that peppy mood of yours. It's getting to everybody." I blushed.
"Is it getting to you too?" I asked.
Marie went back to her station and I could tell that that was a yes.