Every Weekend with Your Friends...

Truth Be Told
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And where are we going?” Talia muttered sheepishly, mind reeling from the events of the night as she stared wistfully through the window. Somehow, the typical LA skyline and city lights she had grown so accustomed to were breathtaking—that or she simply didn’t have any left after being captivated by Seungmin for the last few hours. She didn’t care where she was going, as the adrenaline wore off, but she knew that she wanted to be back there. She wanted to be in his presence, stare in awe once more at his powerful performance and have the world once more only to themselves.

            “Dee and Salem told us to meet them at an Airbnb for a little bit of a staycation. They felt so bad for missing your birthday this year, but they’ve been super busy, so we’re throwing this party a bit late. Better late than never, right?” Alex confessed, almost all too easily. While she loathed surprises herself and often forced her friends to tell her what they got for her birthday, she had no qualms about being so mysterious—and mischievous—herself. Yet, while this was not wholly a lie, this was a mere façade, only the next step in the plan. She glanced in the rear-view mirror to Fay who fiddled with the crumpled paper she was still thankful was in her pocket. Alex raised an eyebrow, waiting for her to open it, but like Talia, Fay was much too blinded by the events of the night to think about the next part of the plan. What was a trivial piece of paper compared to the majestic vision of him from the night? Alex sighed softly, trying to distract herself from her own thoughts of Y that were creeping in and out of her mind as she sped down the relatively empty freeway. With no extra time during snapshots, she doubted if Seungmin remembered her in the same way she remembered him. She didn't sense any interaction during the concert. All eyes were on Talia, she felt and Alex’s eyes were certainly on Y. She was more than convinced that she had misconstrued the previous concert and Seungmin’s words. He spoke to her, but tonight made it clear that he was not talking about her. She felt her mind blur like the lights that still kept Talia’s interest, but struggled to stay focused on the lyrics of the album playing the background, anything to keep her mind alive, her heart safe, and the plan in action. “Looks like we were all a bit late on that one, sorry. But the boys definitely made up for it tonight with a show like that. More than enough of a birthday present, if you ask me,” she interrupted the mind-numbing, maddening silence of rejection, cursing herself for treating the boys so casually. They were not friends—yet, nor did she fully expect them to meet them at the hotel. She couldn’t give Talia any reason to suspect anything or anyone.

            “I’m thoroughly convinced that Seungmin was staring at me at least half the show. I’m not usually one to yell out above the crowd because let them speak, but I know he sensed me,” Talia piped up eagerly, almost startling Alex and Fay who were lost in their own separate worlds of suffering. Alex smirked to herself, not out of jealousy, but out of subtle bliss at her friend’s reaction, at her innocent version of romance. She was starting to sound a lot like Fay, acting as if Seungmin were her soulmate, that he could sense her there amongst the hundreds of people in the room. It was a noble idea, one she didn’t want to entertain, being the skeptic that she was. However, she figured, it would be a sight to see if this were true. She would have all the evidence she needed that Seungmin’s heart was only set on Talia, that she had no right to intervene beyond her best efforts for the both of them. If Seungmin could sense Talia, Alex certainly had little to no sense in continuing to delude herself, but it was more comforting this way. “Not even that, but during the fansign, I didn’t know what to say, but when I looked at those soft eyes of his, I melted and I just fell apart, okay? But he didn’t seem to mind. I was really trying to keep it together, but how could I? He also called me cute,” she rambled, her mind clearly speeding faster than Alex was as she neared the exit you were to take.

            “I told you that top was a good idea. It looks best on you and you are adorable,” Alex confirmed truthfully, though she was unsure if Talia could tell that her words held no weight, no emotion, no sense. “It was funny because one of our friends turned around and pointed to tell Tag that I thought he was pretty, so I would say that you’re doing better than me. When I got up to him, he beat me to it and said he thought I was pretty and I couldn’t say anything from there,” she recalled, shaking her head in playful disbelief. “That and Bomin asked if I was nervous. Gee, thanks, I wasn’t until he asked me that!” she huffed. “So, yeah, it’s best to say nothing than for them to beat you at your own game. English? Korean? Spanish? All out the window cause they’re just all too good at this fanservice thing,” she continued, much to Fay and Talia’s amusement. Game. All of this was a game and at this point, Alex didn’t know when she would stop, when she would have sense enough to leave. Yet, she was too committed. Here they were, cruising along the 101 to an Airbnb for a party with men that they essentially gambled on to take a gamble on a gamble of a love story. Here she was, unsure if she should fall apart before being replaced or fade away and let the situation around the corned unfold as it may. She decided on the latter as she rolled up to the driveway of the building. She glanced up to the second floor. All lights were on and she saw people already shuffling about. Her heart sank as she stepped out the door and awaited her friends to do the same. She looked around the block for any other cars. Nothing suspicious. What did she expect? They were still celebrities and with an event this risqué, they had to take every precaution not to draw attention to themselves. She wondered if they were inside yet, but decided to take the chance and create an excuse as it came to her.

            “Looks like a lot of people in there. Let me guess, it’s Ivy, her boyfriend, Dee and Salem’s boyfriends, and who knows who else?” Talia guessed as she dusted off her skirt upon exiting.

            “Of course, I invited some of our friends, too. While this is primarily a birthday party, I did leave out that it was just a party in general. You know how swamped we’ve all been feeling with work and school. It was about time to take a break and maybe drink ourselves into oblivion,” Alex elucidated casually, more than willing to partake in the latter if only to numb the throbbing headache that came from fear of the plan—or herself—falling apart.

            “It doesn’t do us much good to stay out here. I’ve always wanted to meet your roommates since I’m never on that side of town anyway,” Fay cheered, pacing past the two of them who stood in disbelief at her willingness to participate in a social event with people she didn’t know. Her introversion was endearing as it was enigmatic, but they would support her regardless. The promise of liquid courage was always a welcome proposal, for her and Alex both. “Let me just text my parents and tell them I’ll likely be spending the night so they don’t get worried. May as well,” she added, a hint of responsibility masking her true intentions.

            We’re going in now. If you’re on your way, enter when you can. If you’re already here, knock on the door or ring the doorbell in about ten minutes or so. Use your best judgment, I guess.

            “Well, it’s not just one smart one we have to watch out for. It’s two. We were wrong to underestimate either one of them,” Y smirked as he read the group chat to the members within the small van parked a block away.

            “I know it’s not much, but these girls are bolder than we expected. Who do they think they are just bossing us around like that?” Donghyun huffed, though only halfheartedly for he knew, looking around, that their charm and confidence had worked. Here they were, in a rented van parked in a small beachside neighborhood about to enter a party on a whim, a wish, and a love story that was equal parts desperation and equal parts whodunnit.

            “I don’t know why you’re so grumpy. You got an iced Americano out of Y earlier and who knows, there might be a few girls in there who are into the quiet, savage type,” Jangjun teased, a slight hint of envy in his voice.

            “That’s the problem. There might be too many people in there that might pose a threat to us,” Jaehyun pointed out.

            “It’s fine. I’m sure there aren’t that many people and, with your English skills, you’re probably the best one to get yourself—and us—out of trouble,” Tag shrugged nonchalantly.

            “Yeah, it’ll be like KCON 2018 all over again when you were more than excited to say something in English and then you freaked out and handed me the mic anyway. By now, I’m used to saving you guys,” Jaehyun reminisced in jest.

            “He does have a point, though,” Y interjected. “We can’t be too excited. We don’t want to let anything slip,” he warned. “Just act like it’s any other company party,” he suggested.

            “O, let anything slip? Like how you also like one of them,” Bomin quipped shamelessly, glancing at Seungmin for any hint of a reaction. He didn’t know, even as a slight blush crept across Y’s face.

            “O, so you’re a lover boy now, too, hyung? Do tell~” Jangjun chimed playfully, nudging the leader who was now sturdy as a rock in defiance and embarrassment.

            “I didn’t say I liked one of them. That’s not my place. I just said they were interesting is all. There’s a difference. I can’t go around getting tangled up in a love story,” Y defended, afraid to look either Joochan or Seungmin in the eye.

            “O, that’s just like our leader. Always one step ahead and aware of everyone’s feelings,” Joochan asserted confidently. “Seungmin and I, I admit, are already too far gone, so someone has to be the levelheaded one here. Can’t be Tag. He’s too clumsy and much too dramatic. Bomin is baby. Donghyun is too savage. Jibeom hasn’t a clue what’s going on while Jaehyun is the captive audience. And Jangjun is just Jangjun. Y can’t have as much fun as the rest of us in all of this because he’s got to look out for us. We appreciate it, right

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter