00:41:22 06-11-2022

01:59:59 06-11-2022
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kyungsan was bundled up in their car, his overnight bag and bright green sleeping bag in the trunk. Jessica remembered how excited he was when she bought that for him. They had chosen the colour together, saying how he would look like the caterpillar in ‘A Bug’s Life’ once he was swathed in it. He had smiled so happily and brightly that day. Jessica’s heart constricted almost painfully. That had been a year and a half ago.

 

Had she really opted to trade those moments with her wife and son for lonely nights at the office? What in Beelzebub’s name was wrong with her?! She looked in the rear view mirror to see her son looking quietly out the window at the wintery blustering scene outside. She turned up the heat a little more.

 

“Kyunsan-ah…mom is so sorry…I didn’t mean to be so…absent,” she said, glancing at her son’s face as she spoke.

 

“That’s ok, mama said you had to work hard to make sure she and I were well taken care of, and that we were happy,” the boy said sincerely.

 

“Well…are you happy?” Jessica asked hesitantly.

 

“I think so? I don’t think mama is happy though…”

 

That shot through Jessica’s heart.

 

If her nine year old son picked up on the fact that her wife wasn’t happy, and most likely hadn’t been for a while now, then she was the world’s biggest idiot.

 

“We’re going to get mama back, and I’m going to make sure your mama is happy again. I promise.”

 

“Pinky promise?”

 

“Pinky promise.”

 

“Without wax?”

 

“Without wax.”

 

“Ok mom. Let’s find mama.”

 

Jessica looked at the dash on her car.

 

00:41:22 AM.

 

They had been driving around the city for a while now. Jessica was revisiting all their usual haunts, places they had been together on dates and as a family. Places that made her heart twinge as she recalled all those happy memories they had together. Where would Tiffany go to ‘get away from the city for a while

Please log in to read the full chapter