22:37:52 05-11-2022

01:59:59 06-11-2022
Please log in to read the full chapter

Saturday, November 5th 2022, 10:37:52 PM.

 

Jessica came home, absolutely exhausted and dead on her feet. Work had been brutal and unforgiving. A couple years back she had delved into launching a start-up company with two other friends. And while the work had been very rewarding, finally creating something of their own from scratch, it had been exceedingly grueling. It took her away from family and friends, and it almost obliterated any semblance of home life she had with Tiffany and their nine year old son, Kyungsan. She missed recitals and school performances, she had to duck out early on her own goddamn birthday to handle a work crisis, she even had to ask Tiffany to postpone their wedding anniversary celebration because they had a deadline coming up. The most Tiffany had seen of her of late was briefly for dinner before Jessica had to shut herself up in her home office to ‘handle ’, grumbling irritably about incompetent idiots and managing bull.

 

Jessica knew it wasn’t fair for her wife and son, knew they were paying the price for her work. And in her gut she knew she had to stop and draw the line. But they were so close to breaking through into the market that if they slowed down and stop now, the three years of work they had worked their fingers to the bone for would evaporate like a wisp of broken hopes and dreams. And Jessica was anything but a quitter. She never knew how to quit. Not when it came to work and not when it came to her relationships. She was always the last man standing, even if it incinerated her and destroyed her in the process. She never knew when to give up. She just didn’t.

 

The blonde dropped her bag onto the bench by the door and sunk down for a moment, trying to gather her wits about her before having to crawl into bed with her wife and explain why she just had to miss another one of her son’s violin recitals.

 

.

 

She was a ty mom.

 

And an even tier wife.

 

She looked at her watch.

 

10:42:31 PM.

 

She shrugged off her peacoat and made to move into the kitchen when the lights in the living room switched on.

 

“Jeezuz ing Christ! Tiffany! You scared the out of me!”

 

The younger woman stood there, impassive, staring coldly into Jessica’s eyes.

 

“You missed Kyungsan’s recital. Again.”

 

“I know! I’m so sorry! B–”

 

“Enough. I’ve had enough of this Jessica. Your son and I are not secondary citizens to your work and nor should we feel like it. If we’ve become so inconvenient for you then maybe we should just get the out!” Tiffany spat out the last part.

 

“W-what, Tiff, no. I know it’s been ty, I know I’ve been ty. But plea

Please log in to read the full chapter