Jiyoo ~ Know your worth

My 4am scenarios

3rd POV

In the futuristic world Archipelago, exists four different islands ran by one government. In ranking from the wealthiest of the wealthiest to the poorest of the poorest, the four islands are named: Executive, Upside, Midlevel and Downside.

Kim Yoohyeon was a hotel receptionist for a well-known hotel chain in the Upside. She was lucky securing a job there coming from the Downside. She was hired for her looks, she observed, when she caught the first glimpse of all the other staff. Slim, polite, pretty was all that mattered.

She earned well enough to send money back to her family and keep things afloat, but it scared her a little to know that she could be easily replaced by someone prettier than her. Another strength she had been working to keep her job was learning languages; she is fluent in English, Korean, Chinese and is now learning German. That would give her manager a good reason to keep her than just beauty and no brains.

"Hello Miss, welcome to the Grand Intercontinental Hotel." Yoohyeon greeted a woman with a bow as she strolled up to the counter.

The woman removed her sunglasses, naturally fluffing her hair away from her face. Yoohyeon patiently waits.

"I would like to check-in please." The woman spoke with a friendlier voice than Yoohyeon expected. Most of the customers that came by were...snooty.

"Yes Miss," Yoohyeon clicks away, seeing the woman slide her ID Card onto the table out of her peripheral vision. She typed her name in and confirmed her booking. "Your room is ready at the fourth floor, with room number 422."

She was a tiny bit flustered to see that the woman was already looking at her. The whole time, if she wasn't mistaken. She bows and waits for her reaction.

The woman opens but closes it again. She nods and thanked her quietly before walking away. Yoohyeon tilted her head in slight confusion. Did the woman recognise her or something? That couldn't really be the case...

:

Minji's POV

I scanned my thumb on the door of room 422, quickly shoving my luggage into the hallway. Fatigue simply took over my will to be any more graceful than I had to usually be, in the line of work on Executive. I had some clients to meet on the Upside which I dreaded for a good week. Meetings with them were absolutely pointless; all talk and no action. Only for the papers...well digital papers, in this world.

'She was pretty cute...' The receptionist travels to my mind again, her cute puppy-like face imprinted in my brain. I fall in love easily so this was a sign.

I smirked to myself. Maybe I wouldn't be dreading this trip so much...

3rd POV

Minji rushed back down to the lobby, dressed in a more casual attire; a checkered button-up and navy blue pants. Her eyes darted right to the reception, looking for one particular dark-haired employee.

That same receptionist was not there. She had been replaced by the next shift, Minji guessed.

She pouted on the spot, shifting her weight onto one foot to think of what she could do next. Maybe explore the mall?

"Miss, is there somethting I can assist you with?" A voice spoke behind her. A familiar one, she thought as she turned around.

"Oh," Minji initially replied, finally facing the face she had been looking for. "May I speak to you privately for a moment?" Minji didn't like that they were handful of people roaming around the foyer.

The receptionist nodded, pointing Minji to a adjacent counter next to the main reception, divided by a wall. "Is this suitable Miss?"

"Yes yes," Minji leans on the ledge, "Would you like to go on a date with me?" She smiles but her tone was serious.

The receptionist almost did a double take. 

"Miss, I, as an employee am not allowed to socialise with guests." She smoothly responded in an almost robotic manner.

Minji saw this coming. "If you never knew I was a guest, would that change anything?" She challenged.

Yoohyeon lowered her eyes. "I-i'm from Downside, I don't deserve to socialise with you, Miss." She seemed ashamed.

Minji shook her head with a soft smile. "That doesn't determine your worth, and it certainly doesn't matter to me."

Yoohyeon was a little shocked by her honesty. It was against protocol to say yes, but she had never met anyone so...genuine before and to that, she couldn't say no.

She slowly nods. "O-okay." She blushes lightly when Minji gives her a sunshine smile.

"I'm Kim Minji, what's your name?" 

She hesitated. Minji understood why. 

"Don't worry, you won't get caught." Minji assured, "I won't tell anyone and even if one of us are questioned, I will take full responsibility." Minji truthfully swore.

She takes some times to register Minji's words. "M-my name is Kim Yoohyeon." She relents.

"It's nice to meet you Yoohyeon," Minji gave her a charming eye smile. "Are you free tonight?"

Yoohyeon nods shyly. She couldn't quite believe the situation she was in.

"This is my number," Minji slid her her personal business card. "Call or text me when you're off." She waited for words of approval.

"Miss, are you sure you want to do this?" Yoohyeon questioned with slightly furrowed brows.

Minji leaned a little closer with a smirk, resting her chin on her palm.

"I'm sure if you're sure, Yoohyeon." 

The receptionist blushes again, quickly looking around to see if anyone was listening. No one seemed to be overhearing them.

"I'll contact you Miss." Yoohyeon took the card in her hand, still unable to meet Minji's intense eyes.

"Drop the formalities Yoohyeon, you can call me Minji." She winked before walking away.

Yoohyeon stood there, feet frozen on the spot as she watched Minji disappear into the crowd of people gathering in the lobby for a conference. She blinked the fear away and welcomed the excitement that washed over her when the reality kicked in. She squealed to herself lightly. It had been so long since she felt her heart flutter, the last time when she watched a sappy movie during break time.

Minji's attentive eyes were enough to make her heart flutter.

She didn't stop thinking of her as she got along with her day, always a little taken aback when guests spoke curtly and coldly to her. She was almost spoiled by Minji's kind persona. Either way it was good thing, because she was too stirred by the evening's plan to let usual guests ruin her mood.

Back & Forth POV 

Yoohyeon reluctantly opened the messenger app. 

Minji expectantly waited at the messenger app.

Yoohyeon typed a letter, before deleting it.

Minji saw the status change from online, to typing, then to online again. She smiles.

'What if she was doing this as a joke?' Yoohyeon thought to herself as she figured out what to type in the chat. But she did seem genuine and she was online...

Y: Hello..Minji.

Minji grinned.

M: Hello Yoohyeon, are you finished with your shift?

Y: Yes, I am.

Yoohyeon internally cringed at how awkward she sounded.

Minji chuckles to herself, practically feeling Yoohyeon's slight awkwardness through the screen.

M: Great, shall I meet you by the fountain?

Yoohyeon bit her lower lip out of habit.

Y: Okay.

Minji cheered to herself, jumping off the couch to adjust her appearance before leaving the room.

The gushing water did not alleviate Yoohyeon's nervous drumming fingers, which created an irregular rhythmn against her purse.

She fixed her crop jacket, glancing around the square. She was more than glad Minji had chosen to meet at a spot away from the hotel, but not too far from it either.

As the gentlewoman she was, Minji held a medium-sized bouquet in her arms. She tapped her shoulder with a grin.

Yoohyeon gasps, receiving the bouquet with a natural smile.

"Are these for me?" She questioned, even if she knew who it was for.

Minji plays along. "Yes, my love."

A flustered Yoohyeon wanted to hide her face upon hearing the nickname, using the action of smelling the flowers to hide her tinted cheeks.

"Thank you." She quietly mumbled, and Minji replied with an eye smile.

"Shall we head to the restaurant?" Minji gave her a hand.

Yoohyeon didn't think twice before taking it. "Okay!"

And so they strolled across the square to find an Italian Restaurant, that Minji had chosen. She swung her interlocked hand with Yoohyeon's contendly. She turned to Yoohyeon after a moment.

"Is this alright with you? Is it too much?" She questioned, out of pure concern.

Yoohyeon turned to face her cutely concerned eyes. She smiled a little. "I like it."

Minji squeezes her hand in reply. "Do you like wine Yoohyeon?"

"Hmm," She hugs the flowers. "I can drink some." She replied.

"I take that you're not that much of a drinker?" Minji raised a brow.

Yoohyeon bit her lower lip. "I've never really had the opportunity to try different alcohols...I know the basics. But I definitely can't drink much."

Minji nods understandingly. "No worries. Please let me know if you'd prefer to drink something else." She motions to the restaurant they were going to enter. 

Yoohyeon wanted to reply but gapes at the restaurant's exterior. As someone from Downside, she could only dream of dining at such fine restuarants. It felt almost like a dream to see the luxurious layout in front of her. 

Minji observed her awestruck face, letting her familiarise herself before tugging her into the space of quiet chatter and roaming staff. A jazz band serenaded every guest with easy-going melodies. 

"Woah." It slipped naturally out of Yoohyeon's mouth as her eyes immediately darted to the live band. She came back to reality when she caught Minji talking to the waiter. She suddenly felt very underdressed. A quick smile Minji was enough to put her at ease.

"Let's go." She took Yoohyeon's hand in hers again.

The waiter led them to a hallway and opened the second door on the right for them, bowing respectfully.

"Is this a private room?" Yoohyeon whispered to Minji.

The woman gave her an eye smile. "Yes, this is how I usually dine."

Yoohyeon tilted her head curiously. "May I ask why?"

Minji chuckles. She gives the waiter two curt nods, which meant that he should wait outside. 

"I hate to sound arrogant but there are many businessmen and women that give me attention, initiating conversations and whatnot. Hence I struggle to enjoy a nice, peaceful meal to myself, keeping work out of question." She sounded a little sad, which made Yoohyeon share that emotion.

"Oh..."

"If you don't like the private room we can sit in the dining hall." Minji realised that Yoohyeon might be uncomfortable...

Yoohyeon shook her head. "No, no, this is more than anything I can ask for. I never knew private room existed in restaurants." She glances around again in amazement. "And I appreciate that you take your meals very seriously." She cheekily commented.

Minji nodded, suddenly bearing a serious expression. "Food is my life, I will do anything for food." She suddenly pledged.

Yoohyeon giggled at her seriousness, proceeding to take her seat after Minji, setting her bouquet on a neighbouring bench. 

Minji called the waiter back in who hung their jackets. Their orders were then placed. 

Under the dimmed chandeliers, Yoohyeon found herself attentively listening to the live band that could still be heard clearly. She was also engrossed in analysing the room's interior. It was as if she was in a new world. She hadn't realised that Minji was quietly observing her.

"Do you have any questions for me Yoohyeon?" She prompts.

Yoohyeon thinks about it. She was simply grateful for the opportunity of going out with someone. Something she hadn't done in a while...as well as meeting Minji, who was really kind and generous.

"I saw your business card," She watches as Minji's lips curl into a smile. She smiles easily, Yoohyeon concluded. "Do you really manage Archipelago's Top 10 Artists?" She questions.

Minji nods, there was no hiding that she was a big player in the music industry, as the CEO of one of the world's biggest Record Label. "It's one hell of a job." She dryly replied.

Yoohyeon claps out of awe. She then pouts. "That must be a tough job!"

'Haha it is~" Minji laughs. "But I do enjoy it AND I always get VIP Concert tickets so...should I really be complaining?" She wiggled her brows.

Yoohyeon gasped. "Of course, that's a privelige fans would die for." She grins.

"Are you fan of one among the label?" Minji asks knowingly. Yoohyeon pursed her lips, knowing she was caught.

"I re-realy like Sunmi." She holds her hands under her chin shyly. Minji isn't surprised.

"As expected," Minji grins. "Maybe I should give you a spoiler of her activities..."

Yoohyeon's jaw dropped.

Before she could question on that matter furthur, the waiter came in with plates of piping hot foods and a bucket of chilled wine. The two prepared themselves to dig in.

Scooping a hefty portion of pasta into , Yoohyeon watches in slight disbelief as Mini nearly clears half the plate in one single bite. She looked like she didn't even chew!

"Sorry," Yoohyeon daps her lips with a napkin. "Do you have any appointments after this?" 

Minji perks up, confused. "I don't." She ate a second mouthful with gusto.

Yoohyeon giggles again, taking a seperate napkin to dap the excess cream off of the corners of Minji's mouth. 

"You should eat slowly Minji..." Yoohyeon gently sweeps a spoonful size of pasta into . "Doesn't your back hurt somehow?"

Minji twitches in her seat, feeling a familiar pinch of pain arise in her back. The fact that it came when Yoohyeon mentioned it gained her attention that was just all on the pasta. "Oh yeah I'm feelin' it right now," She grimaces as she retracts her shoulders in a motion of relieving the pain. It prickled deep. Yoohyeon tells her to sip some wine and breathe. "It's gone." She grins happily.

"Fool..." Yoohyeon mutters to herself.

"What did you call me?" Minji narrows her eyes.

"Nothing!" Yoohyeon innocently replied, cleanly finishing off her plate. "The wine is so...smooth." She takes another gulp.

"That's right." Minji finishes her glass to Yoohyeon's surprise.

"I've never met someone as cool as you." Yoohyeon complimented, clinking her half-full glass with Minji's newly refilled glass.

"And I've," Minji started, first sipping the wine. "Never met someone as cute as you Ms Kim." 

Yoohyeon blushes. "You flatter me."

Minji leans forward, bringing their faces a hand's width closer. "If telling the truth flatters you, you'd be easy to tease Ms Kim..." She smirks as Yoohyeon's face stays frozen in front of hers.

Yoohyeon gulps the wine that sat in the back of . Was it the alcohol in her system taking affect or was it a little hot in the room..? The crop she had on suddenly felt a little suffocating.

Due to the resaurants high demand for customers, each customer had a time limit to spend. A time limit of 45 minutes, to Yoohyeon's surprise for the nth time that night. To be fair, Minji ate quickly and the two finished a bottle within 6 glasses...4 of which belonged to Minji.

They were back on the streets in a blink of an eye, hands interlocked naturally. Yoohyeon followed MInji back to the square, knowing that she would have to return to the hotel she was working at. It was weird to think about, but after the dinner, no hard to believe. She had one question hovering on her mind for the longest time though...

"Minji?"

"Yes love?" Minji hummed a recent hit.

Yoohyeon bit her lower lip. "May I know why you asked..me out?"

Minji softly grinned at her. "I fall in love easily."

Yoohyeon's eyes widened. "I- You- Wha-"

"I mean," Minji shrugs. "If a man sees a woman that he is attracted to, he'll make his move right? That's how I am." She clarifies honestly.

Yoohyeon nods robotically, visibly struggling to register Minji's nonchlant words. "Ar-are you saying you're attracted to me?"

"Yes." Minji didn't even hesitate.

"Oh...wow." Yoohyeon replies to no one in particular, saying something as a confirmation that this indeed wasn't a dream.

Minji stopped in her tracks, and Yoohyeon followed suit, whipping round to face her. 

"The fact that you said yes tells me that there's a chance that you're attracted to me too..." Minji takes a bold step forward. 

Yoohyeon tries to avoid her piercing gaze. "I- um-"

Minji shushes her. "There's no need to tell...may I kiss you once?" She smoothly adds.

Yoohyeon squeals inwardly. "Okay."

Minji kisses her cheek. Rather dissapointingly. 

Just before she could turn to walk away, Yoohyeon grabbed her arm. "Wait."

"Hm? You have my number-" 

was muffled when Yoohyeon leaned down to capture her lips passionately. Minji was shocked for a hot minute, but caught pace when she felt Yoohyeon hands rest on her shoulders. Oh she was going for it alright. Minji cupped her cheeks with her hands, a little recklessly running her tongue across Yoohyeon's lower lip. She felt her hands press her collarbones in surprise. The kiss was deepened but lasted mere seconds as they pulled away to breathe.

"You deserve more than a small kiss Minji." Yoohyeon reasoned, face reddening as a post-kiss realisation. "Take it as my thank you for tonight, it really was short and sweet."

Minji grinned widely. "My heart is beating like crazy from what you pulled Yoohyeon." She was glad to hear her giggles again. "Maybe next we can make it long and sweet.." She suggestively teased. 

Yoohyeon almost screamed. "We'll see about that Miss Kim."

Minji smirked. "I'll see you tomorrow Yoohyeon." 

"Oh right, you will." Yoohyeon feigned a heavy sigh, Minji's cheeky smirk imprinted in her brain.

Would she be able to work properly tomorrow after today?