Suayeon ~ A cute poet

My 4am scenarios

Sua tilted her head inquisitively as she picked up yet another pink-white striped letter on her office table. Handong must have been delivering them early this morning, she thought to herself. 

She shrugged off her blazer and draped it over the back of her chair, wondering what new poem she will be reading today. 

It’s been two weeks since she had been receiving short, romantic poems from a mysterious poet with the initial S. As much as Sua wanted to find it creepy, she found them genuinely written and sweet to read. She got it often enough to make her wonder deeply who the person was, whether man or woman, and whether or not she knew them because it seemed as if they knew her.

None of the poems sent had details related directly to her, most of the rhymes expressing appreciation of her character. Sua was definitely aware that this poet liked her romantically, but she’s never had enough courage to venture out and find who it was.

"Yet another letter?” Minji speaks from her cubicle. Sua swivels around in her chair to face her, letter in hand.

"Yes.” Sua had shared one or two with Minji, who was in total awe of the poet’s beautifully written rhymes. She had persuaded Sua to ask around the office plenty of times.

"You really should find that person. There’s no way it’s someone out of office.” Minji grins almost teasingly. “Who knows, maybe you’ll fall in love with them at first sight.”

Sua punched her shoulder. “This reminds me of secret admirers in high school on Valentine’s day.” She wistfully says.

Minji nods in agreement. “It’s February soon, you never know.” She plays on the theory.

"Hmm…” Sua opens the back flap, fishing the familiar paper out of it’s space. She opened it, noticing Minji’s eyes gazing over to read it too.

 

with disappearing presence

emerged your absence

changing my dark nights 

to neon lights

without you in picture

there is no future

to hear my heartbeat

with a love-written sheet

is all i’ll ever want

for you are my one

~S~

 

"Is it just me or was this cheesier than the previous one?” Minji commented, her pursed lips stifling laughter.

Sua shared a smile and nodded. “But the wording is a lot more…I don't know, it points to clues?” She points to the first line. “I may have appeared in their lives when something else disappeared and they were affected by that?”

“Wow, did it take you that many poems to finally try and decipher them?” Minji laughs this time.

Sua punched her shoulder again, harder this time. Minji yelps. “I’m just saying…”

Where did you keep the rest anyways? In your drawer?” Minji asks, trying to consider Sua’s new theory. 

“Yes but we should get to work. I’ll check them during break time…this new poem has sparked something in me.” Sua re-read the lines again, a stronger curiosity piqued within her. 

At break time Sua collected the other 6 letters from her drawer, which she had received over the course of 3 weeks, two letters every week. They came one two particular days, Mondays & Fridays. Needless to say it wasn't that bothersome for Sua to read them before starting a work week and ending a work week. It was a nice touch to her usual routine, she could admit. 

Minji was out with a client for lunch so Sua was left to decipher the letters alone, which wasn’t that big of a deal. She was certain Minji would spend half the time teasing her instead of helping her. 

Everything about the letters were the same, physically, only the poems differed. Sua didn't have the ability to pick out letters of certain words and mash them together to create one word that could be a clue, or unscramble what could be an anagram of the person’s information. She had time for neither of that, so she decided to simply compare the lines.

The first and second letters were subtle, speaking of her bright aura and attitude. Not much was referenced there. 

The third and fourth were a little more bold, citing hints of romantic attraction starting with a lovely description of her smile and eyes. Sua liked them a lot.

The fifth and sixth were simply blunt, as if the person didn't want to hold back their feelings anymore, pouring their confession in words.

“Why does it feel like you know me yet you don't?” Sua mutters to herself, trying to grasp at something between the lines.

She searches for a potential admirer by pondering about the people she meets frequently at work. In other words, people in her team. 

Minji was definitely out, Sua would know if it was her and she had a crush on someone in another department, an IT engineer called Yoohyeon. Plus the initial used was an S…so Sua liked to assume it was related to a name. Handong was out too, she’s already dating someone at the moment and none of the guys' names in her office started with a letter ‘S’ so Sua crossed them out…that left her with clients. 

Sua clicked through her computer to search for clients that she had or were currently handling. She scrolled through the names in its alphabetic order, first looking for the letter ‘S’ as a first name. 

A few names popped up on the screen, two males and one female. She tried to recall information on those clients. As far as her memory could take her, she came to the conclusion that both of the males were taken, one married and one engaged. Sadly, she couldn't remember much of the one female client. The least she did was find out her name. 

Lee Siyeon, it read. Executive Director of WINGSbistro. Sua’s inner detective picked up on the chain with recognition. That was a bistro she visited occasionally; she liked their fruit teas. But any sliver of progress dissolved when Sua realised that an Executive Director would not be working physically at a bistro. 

“Huh…” Sua frowned in confusion.

She heard the chatter of her colleagues getting back to work, the all-too-familiar chairs creaking filling the air at irregular intervals. Sua swiftly puts the letters away, searching deeper in her files to refresh what she had done with Lee Siyeon. If she wasn't mistaken, their collaboration was established quite a while ago…

WINGSbistro’s overall energy consumption across 50 chains was managed by the company Sua worked at, she researched. She had represented the department of communications, but other than that they came in no other contact. She wondered how this collaboration could have a profound impact on the woman falling in love with her. In her head it didn’t make any sense either.

“Maybe I should visit the bistro soon…” Sua mumbled to herself, catching Minji’s attention. She was just returning to her cubicle.

“Oooh does your secret admirer work there?” Minji questioned knowingly. She leans into the backrest of Sua’s chair with a playful grin.

A fist flies into the air, making contact with Minji’s jaw. “I think not. I don’t have many reliable sources on who the poet may be, but I’m taking my chance with WINGSbistro’s Executive Director Lee Siyeon.” Sua informs her.

Minji’s eyes widen as she drops her head to the side to face Sua. “She must be the one! I remember how much attention she was showering you with at a couple meetings.” Her tone was full of conviction.

“What? Don’t be ridiculous,” Sua pokes her forehead. “Additionally, I haven’t seen her since the last meeting which was a month or so ago.”

“And when did the letters start coming?” Minji asked pointedly, the dots connected for her.

Sua gasps. “Three weeks ago.”

“Sounds like someone fell in love at first sight.” Minji gets off with a sigh. “I wish I could write her romantic letters too…” She trails off dreamily, Sua chuckles.

“You don’t even have the guts to ask her out, Kim Minji is soft!” Sua finally teased in return, earning a pout.

“I don’t even think she’s interested…but if you do find your secret admirer we could go on a double date.” Minji wiggles her eyebrows.

Sua holds back a punch. “In your dreams bunny.”

On the Friday that week, she had managed to find some free time to visit the bistro. The smell of freshly brewed coffee and tea fused in the air was just the calming scent she needed to unwind from the whole week of work.

She received a new letter that morning but to her surprise, it contained no poem, but indications to WINGSbistro. That only convinced Sua to search for the mystery poet in the bistro, simultaneously taking the chance to get her favourite drink.

Roaming her eyes around the cafe, her eyes seeked for the face of the Executive Director Lee Siyeon. Funnily enough, she wasn’t nervous or excited, lying somewhere in the grey area of neutral. However she was indeed extremely curious to know if she was the poet, and the reason why she wrote the poems.

She catches sight of a woman sitting alone, wearing a beige beret and a matching two-piece suit. Sua had to compliment her fashion style, it was gorgeous. She waits for the woman to look up to confirm her face, standing in line to not seem random. 

It is her.

Sua plays it cool, getting her drink first. With a dark red plastic cup in her hand, she walks over to the woman. 

“Hello.” She figured that it would be a simple 'confrontation’ with a former client, or someone who was an acquaintance in professional terms.

The woman looks up, a mild surprise passing through her eyes before it was impressively masked into a neutral face.

“Kim…Sua,” The woman recognised, Sua nodded. “To what do I owe this pleasure?”

Sua took that as an affirmation to sit down. So she did and reached into an inner blazer pocket to retrieve the letters.

“I do not wish to cross any personal boundaries,” Sua started, resting the letters on the table. “Are these letters written by you?” 

Siyeon keeps a poker face, answering her with a single word.

"Yes.” 

Her tone was cool and suave, which was kind of attractive to Sua in some way…as if Siyeon was confident in what she was trying to hint at and was going to be genuine no matter what. 

But on the other side of the table, Sua’s reaction pleasantly surprised Siyeon.

“Oh,” Sua leans forward on her elbows. “I must compliment your poems, they are sweet to read.”

Siyeon was almost a little flustered, for she had expected Sua to respond more..dramatically. “Why thank you.” She smiled a little. 

Sua got down to business. “May I ask for elaboration?”

Siyeon nods. “We met a month ago, in the conference room of your department. I was instantly drawn to you, and the hospitality you had provided for me and my team throughout the project left a touching impression. Your presentations were also clear and precise, something I don't see among companies these days…in a nutshell I fell in love with your refreshing image.” 

She was so nonchalant, which made Sua wonder if she was lying or not. She had never met anyone so easy-going about their feelings.

“Is that really all?” She replied in obvious disbelief. 

Siyeon’s eyes twinkle in amusement. “It’s up to you to believe me. You can trust that I mean it. Really weird and strange you could say, but what isn't weird or strange in this world?” 

Sua considers her words. She did agree. Love could be complex, but simple too. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to explore her love life…

“You’re really cute.” Sua said what her heart expressed. 

Siyeon’s cheeks tint pink. “Thank you.” She mumbles, still a little fazed by Sua’s subtle reaction. 

“You’re lucky I’m a er for cuties.” Sua continued, suggestively, as she stared intently at Siyeon. “Did you have a question in mind when you wrote me directions to the bistro in today’s letter?” She uses a fingertip to slide the letter forward.

Siyeon gulped. She didn't know why she felt so dominated by the woman opposite her. Just like a magnet, she was only getting more strongly attracted to her.

“Uh, I…” Siyeon couldn't find the words to say, Sua’s subtle mannerisms were making her flustered. She regained composure. 

“It would be the greatest pleasure of mine,” Siyeon reached over and gently took her hand into hers. Sua let her do so expectantly. “To take you out on a date sometime.” She drops the line and kisses the back of her hand.

“I accept.” Sua responded with delight. 

Let’s just say it didn't take them long to arrange the following dates.

Their dates passed by in a blur of synchronised laughter, cheesy poetry and clear-sky barbecues. 

On Valentine’s Day, exactly a month later, Sua found the familiar envelope on her desk.

This time, she greeted it with a lovesick smile.

She opened it to read Siyeon’s nostalgic handwriting.

 

Our bond grew strong,

which took my heart along,

In the joy of your laughter,

and the moments thereafter.

I enjoy your presence,

and feel empty in your absence,

So I'll ask you the line,

Will you be mine?

~S~

 

~