Chapter 2 -Prelude to Reunion- (11 years later)

An Angel's Ice Heart {A Fairy Tail Fanfiction}

"Hime-sama? Hime-sama!"  Mel snapped back into reality. 

"Huh? Yes? What is it?" she spoke while catching back up on reality as her eyes widened. 

"Oh jeezs, these days you've been spacing out more and more," Lucinda, the head maid scowled. "What are you always thinking about anyways?"

Mel's eyes returned back to regular size and her face softened. She turned towards the open window. She closed her eyes and let the breeze blow her hair gently. 

"Just reminiscing," she said, voice tender and light. 

Lucinda looked at the young princess, and the creases in her forehead lightened. 

"It has been over a decade now, since you last saw him," she spoke in a kinder tone. 

Mel smiled her forlorn smile. Yes, it has been awhile since she last saw him. But she was okay. They still exchanged letters, once a year, every year on New Years. She wondered what he was doing now. How he was doing. And how he looked. She had a picture of him, about 3 years back. But 3 years could have changed him lots. She imagined him as a young man now. Taller, stronger and manlier than the little boy in her memories. He must've changed as much as she did. 

Princess Melanie Anne Cordelia Aozora was now a sight to behold. She had always been cute, but she was now a refined, beautiful lady. Her silver blue hair now reached her mid-back, lovely straight but wavy near the ends. Her bangs were now sweeped into side bangs for a more mature look as well. Her amethyst eyes were deeper now, slightly in colour, more in depth. She was also now standing at 168 cm and weighed 45 kg. Busty at the chest and slim at the waist. Truly a woman to make other women jealous and make every man want her.  That wasn't the only change either. She had increased in power too. She read about her unusual magic in her mothers diary. She had in fact inherited her -

"Hime-samaaaaa ! Hime-saaaammmmaaa!"

Once again, someone had disturbed her train of thought. 

Mel sighed. "What is it now?"

"The-the ...he.. Marry!" the messenger stammered. 

"Just slow down and speak clearly. I can't understand you otherwise," she encouraged. 

"T-the Earl! He.. The Earl Devereux ! He's here..and.."

"Yes? What about the Earl?"

"He wants to court you!"

"WHAT?" Mel was in disbelief.

She didn't have anything against the Earl, in fact, she liked him as if he were family. But the Earl has never expressed interest in her before. She was just the little kid sister of his good friend. 

"He-he must be joking!"

"Believe me dear, I am not joking," a voice said.

It was a voice she knew well. 

"Earl Devereux..." Mel turned to see the owner of the voice.

Standing there was a handsome man, several years older than her. He had short, spiky red hair and emerald green eyes. He was tall, standing at 185 cm. He looked well. 

"Please, I told you to call me Rhet, many times. " he said cocking his head to one side. 

"Rhet nii-sama.. What's this about a marriage?" 

"Obviously, we are now engaged. "

  "PARDON?"

For the second time, she was flabbergasted. Her brother wouldn't have allowed this! Mel knew Haru didn't like Gray but, he loves her and respected her feelings! How could he have let this happen!

"I'm sorry but there must be some mistake." Mel tried. 

"Oh no! Your older brother even approved, did you not, Haru?" The Earl smiled. 

Haru nii-chan stepped into the room with a steady but noticeably grave face. 

"Nii-chan, tell the Earl that there was some mistake." she pleaded. 

Haru turned his head. 

"Nii-chan?"

"I'm sorry Melanie, but there isn't a mistake."

Mel looked at him with shock. She opened , but nothing came out. Her brows furrowed and her brain churned, but she couldn't utter a word. Haru, seeing her sister with such an expression felt pangs of pain. 

He in a deep breath and asked,  " My old friend, would you mind stepping out for a moment. I would like some time to privately speak with my younger sister."

The Earl shrugged , "No problem! I'll be out in the yard if you need me."

Then, he took off. 

"Lucinda, bring the messenger with you out too?" Haru asked. 

Lucinda hesitated but bowed and did what was instructed.

She strode out, closing the grand door behind her. 

"Melanie.." her brother started. 

Mel just stared at her brother. What did he expect her to say?

"There's a reason why I couldn't refuse."

"And what might that be?" she said, her voice finally returning. 

Haru bent over and whispered into her ear. Mel's face looked like a cartoons. Starting off unimpressed but gradually, her face widened and her expression full of disbelief. 

"No...no way.." she stuttered. 

Her brothers face remained unamused. 

No way. No way. That can't be, she kept thinking. But it was. Her brothers face was proof. She groaned and cupped her face into her hands. 

"Dammit," she thought. "I'm royally screwed. "