Chapter 1 -The first Meeting- (Melanie: 7 years old)

An Angel's Ice Heart {A Fairy Tail Fanfiction}

Huff. Huff. Huff. Got. To. Run. Faster. I can hear them coming. They're catching up. No, damn it. Please someone help. Help.  No way. I can't stop running. But.. I don't have a a choice anymore do I? It's them... Or that cliff. Someone please.. Please help me....

"Hey there little Princess," one of the huge gorillas snarled, " finally tired of running?"

I wanted to scream at them. Fight them. Anything. Why am I so weak? Why?

"Well then, I guess it's time you come with us," the other one thundered.

His eyes squinting and his mouth twisting into a disturbing smile.  He tried to pick me up, but I panicked and bit him. 

He yelped. "You stupid girl!"

He threw me and I landed breath takingly close to the edge of the cliff. The gorillas glared at me. The one I bit held me up by my collar. 

"Can I beat her a bit," he growled, " I need to teach this naughty girl a lesson!"

The other gorilla shrugged and nodded. "As long as she's left alive."

The one holding me barked a sinister laugh then. At that moment, I knew it was over for me. So, I closed my eyes and prayed.  Then I felt like I was falling.  But a pair of warm hands caught me. When I opened my eyes, I saw the gorillas frozen in ice. Holding me was a boy with blue-black hair and eyes. With him, was an adult woman and another boy with lighter hair. 

"Are you okay?" the boy holding me asked.

Before I could answer, I lost consciousness. 

 

Mel woke up to the chirping of the birds. Sunlight was already pouring into her now glistening room. MeI stretched out her arms and yawned. 

"Here's to another beautiful day," She chirped.  

Humming to a melodic tune, She danced around trying to clean up, dress and prepare for the upcoming day as quickly as possible. She didn't want to waste another second. Mel tied up her short silver blue hair into two cute pigtails and smiled at her reflection. 

"Mama, papa, guess what? Today I'm going to play with my new friend !" she sighed to her reflection. 

Mel skipped down the stairs, two at a time and even did a 360 degree turn before landing gracefully. She greeted the chatting maids and the busy servants that helped out in her castle. 

"Out today too, hime-sama?" one of the maids asked with a knowing smile. 

"Mmhmm! " Mel beamed, " today's my first play date with my new friend !"

The maid laughed softly and patted Mel on her head. "You must be very happy hime-sama, he's the only boy your age isn't he?"

"Yeah, yeah! Don't tell onii-chan though okays? Haru-nii doesn't seem to like Gray-chan. I don't get why though. Haru's just being a big meanie."

"Hehe," she laughed, "his majesty might just be jealous, hime-sama. Don't forget to pay attention to him."

"Why would nii-chan be jealous? Jeez, I don't understand big people!" Mel sighed. 

She glanced at the clock.  "Ah! So sorry but I'm LAAAAAATTTEEEE."

She took off in a hurried pace and practically flew away. 

"Our princess is so lively" the maid giggled. 

Mel sprinted down the castle stairs and passed the gate. She made her way down the paved path and through the busy crowd of the market. As always, she smiled at the friendly and familiar faces. She knew every single name and face in her kingdom and was proud of that. But, today was a special day. She didn't have the time to stay and chat. So off she went, continuing at the fastest speed possible. Finally, she reached the forest and carefully made her way to the meeting spot. Mel saw a light and skipped towards it.  Mel stepped into the warm sunlight. She looked around her. The sky was a beautiful blue with fluffy, white clouds moving so ever slowly. The grass at her feet were lush green and gently swaying with the slight breeze. Her eyes checked out the entire clearing, but her friend wasn't to be found. She sighed. Then, she spun around and plopped into the soft grass. Mel closed her eyes and just listened to the sounds of nature. 

"You're late."

Mel's eyes flicked open and found herself looking out at a boy with black hair blue-black eyes. She immediately smiled with recognition. 

"Gray-chan!" she squeeled.

She jumped up and hugged him with her arms around his neck.

Gray smiled at her too. 

"So, you going to tell me what took you so long or what?" he asked, cocking an eyebrow. 

"Just the usual," Mel replied with a secretive smile and wink. 

Gray rolled his eyes and wordlessly took hold of her hand. 

" Whatever," he said, "let's just get to the fun."

Gray led Mel through the clearing and pass the ravine. Holding onto her, he jumped from rock to rock with Mel following. Even though they hadn't really done anything yet, Mel was still smiling like a fool. Just having a friend her age made her happier than anything else. Minutes later, they reached a cave. It was one that Mel had never seen before. 

"What're we going to do here?" she questioned.

"I'm going to show you some amazing things," Gray winked.

Gray covered her eyes and continued to lead Mel into the cave. Mel couldn't hear much, besides their footsteps and a low rumble of a nearby stream. Finally, Gray uncovered her eyes and she was amazed beyond words. 

"This... I.... It's just... So beautiful!" she stammered. 

The inside of the cave was more than beautiful. No words could describe it. Giant crystal pillars shone with the sunlight coming from the open roof  The cave seemed to glisten and sparkle. In the center was a HUGE crystal lacrima surrounded by a small moat. 

"I found this place a while back. I train here." Gray said while smiling up at the crystal lacrima. "I haven't told anyone about this, so this is our little secret!"

Mel was then smiling so brightly that the sun seemed dimmer.

"Wow," she thought, "a secret place shared between friends!"

She had only heard about these things, it was her first experiencing it. 

"I'll show you one more cool thing!" Gray beamed. 

Mel watched Gray as he assumed a new stance. He took in a big breath and readied himself. 

"Ice make Shield!" he shouted.

Mel looked with fascination as cold air filled the surrounding area and a stunning flower-like ice shield appeared. 

"That's so cool!" she gasped with excitement. 

"I know right!" Gray exclaimed with equal the amount of excitement. "My teacher, Ur, taught me this cool magic!"

Mel sighed. "You're so lucky! You're learning all of this amazing stuff while I can't do anything super cool! I don't even know if I could protect my home..."

Mel's eyes dropped and tears started to form. She was remembering the time her parents had died. A mercenary guild had tried to terrorize and steal the kingdom. The late King and Queen fought and destroyed the guild ... But at the cost of their lives. 

"If only I was stronger..." she murmured. 

Gray looked at Mel, wishing he could make her smile again. He thought Mel was really cute when she smiled and laughed. 

"Mel.." he said, softly. "I... How about I help protect your home?" 

"Huh?" Mel looked up again.

"N-no! I-I couldn't ask that of you! It's my responsibility!" she stuttered. 

"Fine. Then, how about I promise to always protect you? I'll make sure you don't ever have to cry again!" Gray proclaimed loudly. 

Mel spoke again, " But you already saved me once! You saved me from those terrible kidnappers when I first met you!"

"Then I'll continue saving you, and protecting you, body and soul!" 

Mel stared at this strong boy. She looked at his shining eyes and large smile. She couldn't help herself. Her face began to soften and she began to chuckle. She really was just so happy. It was all thanks to Gray. She let out a deep sigh and smiled. 

"Thank you, Gray-chan. I'd love that."