Chapter V

The Chef

Hello, I'm sorry for taking such a long time for update. Work was really insane but finally got some time to chill and continue this story. So, here is one chapter, hope I can post more chapters ahead.

The lessons with Yongsun, Sola’s real name, had taken much of Byul’s free time unconsciously and she almost had no time to spend with her friends. Not that she complained but her friends did to her and nagged her to treat them to a good meal, so she invited them to dinner at her place. She also wanted to introduce Yongsun to them and told them about the upcoming cooking competition. 

 

‘Hi Yong Unnie, are you free the day after tomorrow?’ The reply came quite fast.

 

‘Hi Byul, yeah I’m free. Why? Another lesson?’

 

‘Nope. Let’s have dinner at my place. I invited some of my friends and I’d like you to join us.’

 

‘Ah, Is it OK with them? I don’t want to intrude.’

 

‘You’re not, just come.’

 

‘Okay then, see you then. Have a good day Byul-ah.’

 

‘You too Unnie.’ 

 

Byul’s place was really in chaos that night. Her friends really trashed the place. They came earlier than promised time because they wanted to annoy the chef plus they wanted to play games together. Byul was left in the kitchen with Hyejin, her best friend since college. They studied culinary together, so it was fitting that Hyejin helped Byul prepare dinner.

 

‘Unnie, I heard you rarely come to Hongki Oppa’s Bar nowadays. You almost never missed his Girls Night.Hyejin asked Byul. Usually Byul went to Hongki’s Bar to enjoy some good drinks after work and find some company, preferably woman. Her free time was used to teach Yongsun basic culinary skills nowadays.

 

‘Hmmm, I know right.’ Byul talked while cutting some ingredients. She made Tonkatsu Curry, an easy but hearty meal that would go well with beers. ‘Actually, I wanted to talk about this with you guys. I have less time to hang out nowadays because I’m preparing for a competition. I’ll talk about this more later over dinner.’

 

‘Okay, as long as you don’t neglect us.’ 

 

‘I wouldn’t dare to do that Hyejin-ah. Ah, there’ll be someone joining us for dinner tonight. I bet you know her. She is really famous.’

 

‘Her? She? Yahh!! Unnie!! You’re so obvious.’

 

‘What do you mean?’

 

Hyejin scoffed at Byul before answering her.

 

‘You’re after her right? You’re inviting someone outside our circle. The last time you did that was with YooA and you’ve been with her for about three months at that time. How long is this one already?’

 

‘Yah! That was a long time ago. She is different. We are close but not romantically. She lives three floors above. I’ve known her for about three months now.’

 

Hyejin lifted her brows, as if telling her unnie ‘Told you.’

 

‘We are not in a romantic relationship Hyejin-ah. Don’t get ahead.’ Byul tried to smooth down their conversation.

 

‘Ey Unnie, I know your pattern pretty well.’ Hyejin laughed at her unnie’s blushed face. ‘She’s not yours YET. Let me emphasize on that. I can’t wait to see her. The one that stole Chef Byul’s heart.’ Hyejin laughed out loud and at that time the doorbell rang. They looked at each other and Byul dashed to the door before one of her friends got it.

 

Yongsun was shocked looking at Byul’s living room as she entered the place. She was a regular at Byul’s place lately and she always mesmerized in how neat and clean it was. There wasn’t a single dust on the furniture, she even ran her fingers over some furniture one day out of curiosity. The place was really trash that day.

 

‘Was there a war here?’  Yongsun looked at Byul questioningly. Byul sighed and ran her fingers on her hair in shame.

 

‘These brats are my so-called friends. They decided to come earlier and made this mess. They even emptied my fridge and snacks. They don’t even care if someone is coming.’ Byul shook her head and led Yongsun to her friends. They were busy playing PS5.

 

‘They didn’t eat my chocolate did they?’ Yongsun whispered to Byul.

 

Byul chuckled at her question ‘No Unnie, I saved your chocolate.’ Yongsun sighed in relief. She left some chocolate in Byul’s place to enjoy as a self reward after a grueling lesson with Byul. It’s their habit now, having some sweets at the end of their lesson and talking about what they learnt.

 

‘Guys! Put down the consoles please!’ Byul clapped her hands several times to catch her friends’ attention. ‘Friends, this is Solar. She’ll be joining us for dinner tonight. Solar-ssi, these are my friends. The brown haired one is Kim Seok Jin. The short one is Jung Wheein. The one on the edge is Ahn Hani, The one on white shirt is Sandeul and beside him is Ken. Oh, there is Hyejin in the kitchen. We’ll meet her later.’

 

‘Hello everyone, I am Solar. Good to meet you all.’ Yongsun smiled at them. She appreciated Byul introducing her as Solar, not Yongsun. Hellos were heard from them and Byul led her to the kitchen.

 

‘This is Hyejin. my best friend from college. Jung Wheein is her girlfriend.’ Byul explained to Yongsun as she got ready to give the final touch to the dinner. ‘Hyejin is my assistant tonight.’

 

‘Nice to meet you Solar-ssi. I’m Ahn Hyejin and I’m not related to Ahn Hani but a good friend.’

 

‘Nice to meet you too Hyejin-ssi.’ Yongsun smiled sweetly at Hyejin.Byul sure has some interesting friends. Yongsun smiled as Byul handed her a bottle of water. Her favourite brand and it didn’t escape Hyejin keen eyes.

 

‘Are you ready to talk about whatever you wanted to talk about? I’m starving by the way.’ Hyejin set up the dining table and looked at it with pride and started to call their friends. ‘Wash your damn hands before you sit, the food is a masterpiece.’ Hyein slapped Jin’s hand before she ushered him and the others to wash their hands before dinner. Yongsun chuckled at Hyejin antics and she winked at Byul.

 

‘Glad that I washed my hands before.’  She told Byul and sat herself in between Byul and Hyejin. Byul smiled and patted Yongsun's hand.

 

'Alrighty, now that everyone is seated, I'd like to say a few words before we start dinner.' Byul stood up and spoke as the host. 'The reason why Solar's here is that she and I are…'

 

'Dating.' Ken blurted the word while sipping his beer. Hani smacked his head. 'Please continue.' He told Byul.

 

Byul and Yongsun turned as red as a beet but Byul continued. 'What I'd like to say before that brat intercepted me is that Solar and I will be partners in an upcoming cooking competition. I don't want any unnecessary attention about our relationship that's why I told you about it in advance. We'll be having a presscon on Sat. That's all from me. Anything you want to say unnie?' Byul turned her gaze to Solar who shook her head.

 

'Well, I don't see any problem with that and I'm sure we are all glad that Byul has something to occupy her free time. Cheers!' Sandeul added some words. 

 

'As long as she didn't neglect us like these past weeks.' Hani chipped in.

 

'True.' Wheein agreed. 'Anyway, cheers and let's dig in.' With that, they started the feast. It was loud but fun.

 

'You didn't tell me that the lessons took a lot of your time.' Yong whispered to Byul. 'I feel guilty about your friends. Is that the reason you introduced me? So they don't feel neglected?'

 

'Can we please talk about this later? Let's enjoy the food and company Unnie.' Byul whispered back.