Chapter IV

The Chef

Sunday finally came for the excited Chef Moonbyul. Yongsun and her have been texting non stop to the point she could address Solar as Unnie so she couldn’t wait for their first lesson. As she promised the singer, she made her killer breakfast, fulfilling yet healthy as Solar preferred. The breakfast spread consisted of Doenjang Jjigae with Moon’s signature homemade doenjang paste, assorted homemade Korean banchan, Grilled Mackerel, Mixed Grain Rice. She also brewed Pu Erh Tea instead of coffee as per Solar’s preference. Moonbyul looked at her dining table grinning widely as she put the last touch on her Rolled Eggs. She’s been up very early to prepare breakfast.

 

Moonbyul jogged a little to open her door as the doorbell rang and there she was, the prettiest singer she ever met, standing up in front of her. Solar wore casual shorts and an oversized T-shirt, she had her hair tied loosely yet she looked attractive.

 

‘Hi there! Hope breakfast is ready.’ Solar smiled and Moonbyul stepped aside to let her enter the apartment. ‘Ah, this is Kombucha, hope you like it.’ Solar handed Byul a small tote bag filled with five bottles of kombucha as she wore the house slippers that Byul prepared. ‘Make sure you drink it daily. Tell me if you run out.’

 

‘Ahh…thank you Unnie.’ Byul smiled and walked to her kitchen where she put in the kombucha. Yongsun followed Byul and her eyes widened in shock seeing the dining table.

 

‘Byul-ah!! How many people are you planning to feed? Why are there so many dishes?’

 

‘Unnie…this is not much. I just took some leftovers from the restaurant.’ Byul shyly answered. She hid the fact that she cooked all the dishes from scratch that morning. ‘Have a seat Unnie. I hope you like Korean in the morning.’ Byul started to scoop rice into bowls and handed them to Yongsun.

 

‘Yes, I like Korean food the most. My favorite is Tteokbokki. I eat them often, usually after a tiring day. It’s like my ultimate comfort food.’ Yongsun sat and stared at the dining table. ‘Let’s eat.’

 

‘Let’s eat.’ Byul said as well and waited for Yongsun to taste.

 

‘Hmmmm…Woaahh, this is heaven.’ Yongsun closed her eyes after a spoon of Doenjang Jjigae. ‘How could you make something like this?’ Yongsun took her chopsticks and sampled the banchan. Once again she groaned in pleasure as the food exceeded her standart.

 

Byul could not hide her blushing cheeks and she smiled at the whole Ahh and Hmm from her Unnie. Yongsun ate deliciously, and when she finished, Byul asked some questions.

 

‘So, tell me Unnie, do you know the ingredients in this Doenjang Jjigae?’

 

‘Is this a test Chef?’

 

‘You can call it so.’ Byul nodded her head. ‘I’m waiting for your answer Unnie.’ Byul sipped her tea.

 

‘First, it must be doenjang paste.’ Byul nodded, then Yongsun continued. ‘Some shrimps, tofu, potato, the spiciness comes from green chilli pepper which I don’t know the name of, garlic for sure, onion maybe. Am I right?’

 

‘Yes, those are the ingredients that you can see. There are also some ingredients that you cannot see Unnie. Say the broth. What is it made from? The base I mean.’

 

‘Base? There are bases for broth?’ Yongsun frowned.

 

‘Of course Unnie. The so-called water for soups are different. There is broth and stock. Broth is thicker and the stock is clearer. They can be made from chicken, seafood, vegetables, beef or even mixed.’ Byul started her lesson. Byul had planned to give a lesson to Yongsun unconventionally. She didn’t want to bore Yongsun so she carried the lesson as if they were in a conversation. ‘Korean households have their own recipes for soups. The doenjang jjigae you just ate is my family's signature recipe, I believe your family has one as well.’

 

Yongsun nodded and sipped her tea in understanding. ‘So, what is the base for this doenjang jjigae?’

 

‘Seafood and seaweed. I’ll teach you some other time. It is an advanced lesson Unnie.’ Byul raised her eyebrows teasingly. She stood up and started to clean the table.

 

Yongsun sighed, she felt her Sunday would be spent in Byul’s apartment learning about food. They cleaned the dining table and proceeded to wash the dishes. They talked about their day and many things while washing dishes.

 

‘Unnie, do you know how to fry eggs?’

 

‘Of course, what do you take me as?’

 

‘No offense Unnie, you didn’t know about broth and stock so I assume you are not familiar with the kitchen.’

 

‘I can cook to survive for myself Byul-ah!’ She pouted

 

‘Okay Unnie, you don’t have to yell at me. I’ll set things up for the glorious fried eggs.’ Byul chuckled and set up some eggs, fry pan, oil, spatula, salt and pepper on the kitchen island next to her stove. She also took out an apron for Yongsun. ‘Turn around Unnie.’ Yongsun shyly turned around so Byul could help her by tying the apron. ‘Perfect. Now you are ready to cook me fried eggs.’ 

 

‘How to turn this stove on?’ Yongsun wasn't familiar with Byul’s professional stove. Byul chuckled a little and turned the stove on. She stood beside Yongsun all smiles.

 

‘Ehem, first you turn on the stove. Then put on the pan. After that pour a little oil on the pan. Wait for the oil to be a little hot and crack the egg in. You can crack four eggs in one go.’ Byul raised her eyebrow in question. ‘It’s up to me right?’ 

 

‘Yes,Unnie, it is up to you.’

 

‘Then, put in some salt and pepper as you like. Usually I don’t put them in but because you prepared them so I’ll use them.’ Yongsun sprinkled some salt and pepper on the eggs. ‘If you are skilled enough, you can just flip the pan.’ She continued. 

 

‘Are you sure Unnie?’ Byul got closer to Yongsun, worried she failed in flipping the eggs and hurting herself instead.

 

‘Fortunately, I am skilled enough to flip eggs.’ With that remark Yongsun flipped the eggs and succeeded. She smugly smiled at Byul. ‘I am capable of some things Chef Moon Byulyi. Don’t underestimate me.’ She put the eggs on a plate and presented them to Byul.

 

Byul clapped her hands and laughed out loud. Yongsun succeeded in surprising her and she liked it too much. How adorably smug she was. Byul just wanted to kiss her so badly.