Chapter III

The Chef

Byul tried her best to finish her duties as fast as she could, knowing Solar aka Kim Yongsun was waiting for her. When the clock struck 10.00 pm sharp Byul hurriedly showered, changed her chef attire to something more casual, grabbed her things and headed to the VIP Room.

Yongsun enjoyed the tea and cookies Byul ordered before and she was grateful for the alone time Byul gave her. She had a not so good day herself and Byul lateness was the last straw of her patience that day. Her food was the saviour, it was so good. Yongsun had no complaints at all, the food surely lifted her mood tenfold. She knew that her response about her food was insincere that she wanted to make it up to the Chef. That’s why she agreed to be driven home. 

‘Ah, have you waited long?’ Byul’s voice woken Yongsun up from her daydreaming. She didn’t hear the Chef had entered the room.

‘Oh, I didn’t hear you coming. It’s not that long, the tea and cookies are perfect company for the wait. You have to teach me how to make the cookies and where do you buy the tea?’

Byul chuckled and slipped in one of the chairs in front of Yongsun. ‘If you want I can pack some of the cookies and tea for you to take home but that will make less chance to see you, no?’ Byul raised her eyebrows teasing Yongsun.

Yongsun blushed, ‘Yahh…I still see you in lessons.’

Byul smiled sweetly and Yongsun immediately thought of her as a charmer. Someone who enjoys flirting. ‘Anyway, can we go now or do you still have something to finish?’ Yongsun asked Byul while gathering her things.

‘Ah, no, I finished everything.’ In fact Byul asked Henry and Wheein to take over some of her duties so she can drive Yongsun home. Henry and Wheein are already in the front line of getting favors from her as a result of helping her that night. She knew they would use the chance as best as they could.

Byul got up and opened the VIP room door for Yongsun. ‘Thank you.’ Yongsun mumbled and for that she got a dazzling smile from Byul. They walked side by side to the door before Yongsun stopped in front of the cashier and was about to pay for her tea and cookies.

‘What are you doing?’ Byul frowned at Yongsun when she saw her take out a card.

‘Ah, I have to pay for the tea and cookies.’

‘Do you know who you are with right now?’

‘Huh?!’ Yongsun gave Byul a confused look. ‘Of course I know, Chef Moonbyulyi. Why?’

‘And do you know that this particular Chef Moonbyulyi happened to own the restaurant in which you just enjoyed your tea and cookies.’

‘Yes, I am well aware.’

‘Then, why are you trying to pay? It’s in the house. Keep your card.’ Byul pushed Yongsun’s card in her purse. She smiled at the cashier and said, ‘Never take any payment from her, okay. She is Solar, my partner for the upcoming competition.’ The cashier nodded and continued her work.

Yongsun blushed at the word 'partner' and mumbled ‘Thank you, you didn’t have to.’

‘I want to.’ With that remark Byul opened the door to let Yongsun out, then she took her car key from the valet. ‘Thanks Hoon, everything’s good tonight?’ Byul addressed her valet.

‘Everything’s great Boss, enjoy your night.’ Hoon tapped his hat, saluted Moonbyul and opened the car door for Yongsun, after she seated, Byul walked to the driver's side. She asked Yongsun to type in her address in the GPS. She didn't really pay attention to the address but she had a thought of saving it later after dropping Yongsun off.

They rode in silence, the way to Yongsun’s place was quite familiar to Moonbyul, when the GPS directed to take turn on a certain apartment complex, Moonbyul gasped and went to the basement to park her car.

‘I don’t think you can park your car here.’ Yongsun said while looking around. ‘This is a designated car park for residents only.’

‘I know and this is my lot.’ Byul said. Still in shock.

‘Huh? Your lot? As in your parking lot?’

‘Yes, my parking lot.’

‘How come?’ Then realization came through Yongsun’s mind. ‘Are you a resident?’

‘I am. In which tower are you?’

‘Woah…I didn’t expect this. I mean from a lot of apartment complexes, you are living here.’

‘Me neither. Well, I am here for like three months.’ She was still stunned at the fact that they lived in the same complex. ‘What tower are you?’

‘Hmmm, here, this tower, I was wondering how come you know which tower I live in.’ Yongsun unbuckled herself while talking to a stunned Moonbyul. ‘What floor are you?’

‘Twentieth. Don’t tell me you are also twentieth.’

Yongsun threw a chuckle, ‘I am not. I’m twenty third.’

‘Ah, I see. I’m still in disbelief that we live so close to each other. PD Yoon will be thrilled knowing this. Come, let me send you to your door.’

‘I am the one that should send you first. Your floor comes before mine. Anyway, thank you for the ride.’

‘Anytime, I don’t mind.’ They walked side by side to enter the complex. The guard greeted both of them. Byul tapped her key card to open the elevator, Yongsun also tapped hers so the elevator could stop at their floor without them pressing the floor. They stopped at the twentieth floor and Byul held the door before stepping out.

‘Can I ask for your number so we can set up a date for your lesson?’ Byul held out her phone so Yongsun could type in her number. Yongsun’s heart skipped a beat when she heard ‘date’ from Byul. She typed in her number and gave the phone back to Byul.‘Thank you. I’ll contact you soon. Have a good night Yongsun-ssi.’

‘Thank you Moonbyul-ssi. Have a good night yourself. See you in our lesson.’

Their gazes lingered to each other, it seemed like they didn’t want to part ways. With that remark Byul completely stepped out from the elevator and waited until it closed perfectly before walking to her door. ‘Ah, I forgot to ask for her apartment number.’ She thought to herself. It was good that she is living near, it made everything easier. 

Yongsun herself was a mess, she released her breath that she didn’t realize holding. ‘What am I thinking? Why has my heart skipped a beat before?’ With a shrug, she entered her apartment.

*************************************************************************************

The days went by without any contact from Moonbyul or Yongsun, both of them were busy people. Yongsun was preparing her comeback so the date will align with the competition. Her company wanted to make the competition as part of her promotion. Moonbyul was busy promoting Moonstar here and there. She became a guest star in some TV shows, as a way to familiarise her existence to people ahead of the competition. Soon, Moonbyul gained a lot of attention from teenagers and young adults, especially women. She was known as a pretty handsome girl crush chef with a bad girl aura that made girls go crazy. Her newfound fame did good to Moonstar, her restaurant, it always packed both for dinners and lunches. People have to make a reservation at least a week before to secure a table there.

It was a terrific day when a text came into Yongsun’s phone. She was all smiles that day, her recordings went well, her schedules not too packed and she’ll have a fan meeting to announce her upcoming comeback that weekend. She is always excited to meet her dear fans, to hear their opinions, their concerns, their praises, their support. She is always thankful to her fans, without them she could not grow into who she is now.

Hello, this is Moonbyul. Sorry for the late text.

I didn’t mean to take this long to contact you.

I hope you haven’t forgotten me.

I would like to set up a date for the lesson we talked about ahead of the competition.

Can you tell me when you are available?

 

Yongsun read that text several times. She smiled to herself before replying.

 

Hi Moonbyul-ssi. It’s good that you finally remember me.

Well, my schedule is quite packed for this week. 

I can squeeze you this Sunday. That is the only day I’m free.

 

The reply came almost instantly.

 

I am not forgetting you. How can I? >_<

Sunday’s great. At what time?

Can I suggest my house?

Since it is well equipped for cooking lessons.

 

Yongsun smiled at her phone, her manager saw that and wondered to herself if something good had happened to Yongsun. ‘Unnie, I don’t have any schedule this Sunday right? I’ll have a lesson with Moonbyul-ssi for the cooking competition.’

Her manager got it, ‘You are free on that day, should I mark the day as scheduled or as a personal day?’ She teased Yongsun. ‘Eyy Unnie, as a personal day would be good. Thank you.’

Her manager chuckled, ‘You got it.’ She jotted it down. Then Yongsun went back to her phone to reply to Moonbyul.

 

Greasy as always.

Your house then, I’ll come at 10:00

It would be great if you could make me breakfast.

Sunday is a lazy day for me but you take that away so be responsible.

 

I am greasy to you only. :D

Don’t worry, you can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at my place.

That’s me being responsible

 

They kept on texting each other for quite some time after that, it only stopped when Byul had to prepare her kitchen and Yongsun had to continue her recording.