Chapter 2

The Chef

Moonbyul knew that the variety program she had agreed to join was created by PD Yoon and it was a competition between teams of a chef and celebrity. She was in a meeting with her management team when PD Yoon called her, requesting a dinner meeting in which she would meet the celeb. The PD said it was to build chemistry between them. Byul agreed to squeezed the meeting between her working hours, the dinner meeting will be held at her restaurant the day after tommorow.

Byul is quite pissed tonight, her maitre'd made a grave mistake of double reservation for the best table in Moonstar, her budding upscale restaurant. She cannot tolerate any mistake at this point because her restaurant is pretty new and she's trying to give the best impression to the patrons. She decided to create a new best table to present to the patron and gives some complimentary dishes. She hopes the patrons are new so they didn't notice the new best table. Basically she was in quite foul mood.

She completely forgotten the dinner meeting with PD Yoon and the celeb until one of the waiter come to her in the busy kitchen in between her shouts of orders. The waiter is confused whether he should wait or just shout. He decided the later.

'Excuse Me Mam!!' When he's not getting Byul attention, he shouted one more time. 'Excuse me Chef Byul!!'
'What do you want?!' Byul shouted her answer. 'Why are you here and not out there?!'
'I'm sorry, but there is someone named PD Yoon waiting for you in VIP room right now. She's been waiting for about an hour and a half.'
'What?! Why you just tell me now?!' Byul pulled out her apron and threw it somewhere near but far from the stove and flames. 'Henry take the floor, I'll be right back.' Byul said to her sous chef.
'Oui Chef.' Henry saluted Byul and started to take over.

'Lead the way.' She asked the waiter. 'Oh, ask for the 1998 Pinot Grigio from Wheein. I need that to soothe the situation.'

'Aye Mam.' The waiter saluted Byul and opened the door to the VIP room.

In there one woman looked pissed off and ready to chew Byul for the long wait.

'I am terribly sorry. I lost track of the time, today was crazy and I don't have any other excuse. So sorry.' Byul bowed to the occupants of the room. She didn't see that there were only two person in the room.

'Ah, our chef.' PD Yoon's voice made Byul rose from her bow and then she saw the most beautiful woman but she was frowning to her. 'It was me that asked you to squeezed us in your packed schedule. I just wanted you to meet each other before everything. Let's have a seat.'

Byul sat down and gazing at the table, the food were untouched.

'Why haven't you had dinner?'
'We were waiting for you to the point I need to ask your staff to find you.' The beautiful woman answered instead.
'I apologized and let me make it up to both of you. Let him take the food back to the kitchen and exchange it.' Byul called the waiter and asked him to clear up the table. She asked him to serve some hors d'ouvres to pair with the Pinot Grigio she ordered before.
'Make a special request to the kitchen, told them it's for Byul.' Byul wrote up some special menus. 'Doyou have any allergies?'
'Not that I know of.' Solar answered cooly.
'I don't.' PD Yoon answered.
'Good, asked Henry to serve them within 20 minutes and have you asked Wheein?'
'Oui Chef, She'll be here in a minute.' The waiter told her and hurriedly took the notes to the kitchen.
'Once again I apologized, I hope the food later suit your taste.'

The waiter came with some petite food and then a beautiful petite woman came up to their room bringing a bottle of wine.

'Good evening ladies, I am Wheein, your sommelier tonight. Our Chef Moon asked me to open this beauty over here. Let me present you 1998 Pinot Grigio. I see that Chef Moon has chosen some hors d'ouvres to pair with this beauty.' Wheein worked to open the wine while talking and presenting the cork to Solar. It is a tradition that the lady in the room will have a sniff to approve the wine. Solar surprised by that action but she took a sniff and nodded. Wheein started to pour the wine into the glasses. 'Enjoy everyone, in case you need another bottle, please do not hesitate to call me. I leave this beauty here in Chef Moon's care. Have a good evening everyone.' With a dramatic salute, Wheein exited the room.

'So, what is the purpose of this meeting PD Yoon?' The beautiful lady gazed to the nervous PD. 'Ah, I forgot to introduce myself, I am Solar.' Her gaze turned to Byul.'

'Ah yes, how rude of me, I am Moon Byul Yi. You can call me Chef Moon, Chef Byul, Byulyi, Byul. Anything that suits you.'

'I am PD Yoon, anyway, this is the first pair meeting I conduct in preparation of the upcoming program. The official shooting might begin in two months. I need that much time because there'll be six pairs to compete. I hope that you guys will get along well and creating great chemistry. I suggest Solar to take a lesson with you Chef ahead of the program so she's capable enought to assist you later.'

'I see your objective PD-nim. I guess that's a great suggestion if it's suit Solar-ssi schedule and time. I am more flexible with my schedule.' Byul told the PD.

'My manager will contact you later to talk about the schedules. Can I have a taste of these?' Solar asked Moonbyul. She's been starving since noon and it irritated her more that she needed to wait for an hour and a half for the Chef.

'Ah of course, let me set it up for you.' Byul started to plate the petite food for Solar while giving explanation about the food. PD Yoon observed their chemistry and smiled while sipping her wine. They are definitely will become new ship.
The food Byul requested finally arrived. She stood up beside the waiter to serve her guests. She gave detailed explanation about the food while serving to them.

'This is Peking Duck served with Hallabong Sauce, Sliced Cucumber and Ginger paste rolled in thin rice paper. The unique taste of hallabong complimented the original taste of the Peking Duck and giving a Korean touch to the Chinese cuisine.' She carved the half duck in front of them and rolled them one by one before serving to their plate.

'Mmmmm...' It's the only sound heard in the room. Both Solar and PD Yoon closed their eyes in order to savour the taste.

'This half duck can serve up to 5 person. In light that there were only three of us here, double the portion.' Byul smiled. Solar and PD Yoon happily received roll after roll that Byul made. Byul even gave a roll to the waiter beside her. The next dish after the Peking Duck meant to be the main.

'That was the entree ladies. Would you like to top up your wine?' Byul motioned the waiter. She observed Solar refused to top up but PD Yoon openly wanted more. "Very well. The next dish is a famous one, individually served is our signature Dolsot Bimbimbap. Made with Hanwoo, organic vegetables and rice. The sauce is in house made personally by me following centuries of Moon Family recipe. The side dishes to complement the bimbimbap are in house made napa cabbage kimchi for extra kick. To clean your palate, I have prepared Tofu Clear Soup. Please enjoy.'

The patrons were very glad they waited and not leaving the place before tasting Moonstar's specialized menus.
'How was it?' Byul genuinely asking their opinion after some minutes.

'This is incredible Chef. I am speechless. I might gain some weight following dinner meeting with other chefs.' PD Yoon told Byul while patting her belly. 'I am in a food coma.'

Byul chuckled. 'I hope you still have some room for dessert.'

'Of course, I would not dare to say no to dessert.' PD Yoon sipped her wine and smiled widely to Byul.

'What about you Solar-ssi? Are the food suit your taste?' Byul turned her gaze to Solar that keep quiet during the meal.

'Yes, they are great. I can't wait to our lessons. I would like to know the process into making such wonderful and delectable dishes.' Solar smiled to Byul, but it lack of sincerity, It feels that she said those out of courtesy. Byul was a little irritated but she kept it to herself thinking maybe Solar still not over her lateness.

"Alright ladies, time for dessert. This is a traditional one but I gave a touch of western. Earl Grey Mint Bingsoo with Injeolmi and Almond Powder. At first it would taste weird but after a few spoon you'll taste goodness.'

Once again, PD Yoon went into oblivion and the first one to finish the dessert. She kept on rambling about how good the food were and she is glad to have Byul in her program.

'I bet you said that to all the chefs later. They all real good one and some are my senior.'

'I know Chef, that's why it's going to be interesting competition no? You have achieved so much more than them, you are well known in culinary world, you have made yourself a brand, a name. Moonstar.'

'Thank you, I guess I have to agree to join forces with you and Solar-ssi.'

'I look forward to our lessons Chef Moon, thank you for the delightful meal tonight. I'm afraid I have to excuse myself. I have a schedule early in the morning.'

'Ah yes, I better get going myself.' PD Yoon stood up and took out her wallet to pay for the meal. Byul hold the PD hand.

'Please, it's in the house.' Byul smiled. 'I look forward to our lesson Solar-ssi and till we meet again PD Yoon. Please do tell your friends about Moonstar yes.'

'Of course...of course...thank you for the treat Chef.' PD Yoon bowed to Byul and about to exit the room when she remembered. 'Solar-ssi, are you driving yourself?'

'Ah, I will wait for my manager to pick me up.' Solar said to PD Yoon and bowed to her. "Take care Yoon PD, till we meet again.'

'Thanks, I'll be in touch.' With that last remark Yoon PD exited the room with a waiter in tow to help her calling a taxi.

Solar sat down again and poured some water. She felt exhausted but at the same time happy because she ate well.
Byul looked at her ith her head tilted.

'Sorry, I'll be waiting for my manager here if that's okay with you.' Solar said to Byul.

'It is more than okay. Take your time, do you want some tea?'

"Am I look troubled? Usually someone offered tea to calm.'

'Ah, you can take it that way too but I suggest tea so you can digest better.' Byul smiled.

'Don't you have kitchen to run?'

'I have. Will you be okay?'

'Why wouldn't I?

'It was a lie wasn't it? You didn't wait for your manager, You
need some time alone.'

'How could you...' Solar stared at Byul in disbelief, how can she predicted it.

'Take your time, if it is okay I can drive you home later after closing.' Byul smiled, she hide her crossing finger behind her back.

'Mmm...I don't want to impose you.'

'You are not, it's a deal then. I'll order chamomile tea and some cookies. Enjoy your time Solar-ssi.' Byul was about to leave the room when she heard a faint but clear voice.

'It's Yongsun, my name is Kim Yongsun. You can call me that.'

'Of course, Kim Yongsun.' The name rolled beautifully on Byul's tongue that she smiled on the way to the chaotic kitchen that waiting for her to straightened.