7. Freed

A Glimpse of Freedom

It was hours later when they learned what happened to Yeonjun. They have mixed reactions to it.

"We were with a murderer the whole time?" Ryujin was shocked. Who wouldn't?

"Did we just harbour a criminal?" Yeji asked.

"Oh, that's why something seems off. Did he give us his life savings?" Jeno wondered as he reminisced about the night that they spent together.

"Now I know why he gave us his money. But why do I have double the amount that the others have?" Jaemin wondered.

"The best night I had was spent with a person who took another person's life." Winter was disappointed.

They were all miles apart, but they all felt the same emotion. Shock. Except for Beomgyu, who smiled bitterly upon seeing the news. He did it.

The evening after that, Winter went home. She wanted to talk to someone. Winter attempted to dial Jaemin's number. Unfortunately, it was a digit short.

She tried calling the others to ask about it. They did not respond. Some could not even be recognized by the systems. These are sleepy, tired, emotionally unstable, and drunk people who exchanged phone numbers. Entering the wrong number is not unlikely. They have their own lives. Winter reasoned that they were all too busy to answer their phones.

Days pass and Winter finally begins to accept the fact that fate is not on her side and destiny does not exist.

She became frustrated. I guess it was just a one-time thing after all. I don't want to forget about it.

And so she wrote a book about their adventure for one night. She finally overcame her writer's block. She tried to include as many details as she could remember. She does not want to miss a single detail. She does not want to forget.

A year passed, and the book she wrote was finally published. She is now an author. Jaemin has been immortalized in her book as the flower boy she made out with on her vacation.

Years later, she graduated from college. To celebrate, she went on a vacation in another city with her friends. It was actually a "hitting two-birds with a stone" thing. She had another agenda. She planned to use this vacation to gather more ideas to write.

Sure, a spa night with friends would be nice, but Winter thinks it is better to go alone to be able to start writing. I'll just apologize to them and pay for the drinks tomorrow when we stargaze.

It was already seven in the evening when she started wondering. She just goes wherever her feet take her. By around nine, she stumbled upon a club, which she decided to enter.

She ordered a few drinks, got drunk, and then started kissing a stranger. Winter had already done this at her college parties. She dated several people, and had a couple of one-night stands. She is no stranger to dating anymore. She can now write romance stories and even .

She made out with him until he decided to take her to the nearest motel. I'm here for story ideas. Why am I riding a ? They ed, and their story started. It was only the morning after when she realized what she did.

She woke up before the guy she slept with. Suddenly, she got pulled into an embrace by that guy. She's now sober enough to recognize who it was.

"Jaemin."

Coincidentally, Jaemin currently lives in the country where Winter and her friends stay for vacation. Fate is on her side and destiny exists.

Who knows what will happen to them next? Who knows whether they will just treat this as a one-night stand with a person they once liked or whether they will start dating? It is purely up to them.

It was purely a coincidence that they got to meet at that place. After that night, Jaemin was able to find a cheap apartment to stay in. He enrolled himself at the local university and got a part-time job as a research assistant. He occasionally stops by at the motel to go and hang out with Beomgyu. That is, until weeks passed, he felt the absence of Winter and Jeno.

"You should try calling them." Beomgyu told him.

"I don’t want to do it first. He may feel uncomfortable with it. " Jaemin had already told Beomgyu about what happened between him and Jeno that night. " As for Winter, I haven’t got her number. My phone died that day. She got my number, yet she didn’t call me. " Unbeknownst to him, he forgot to enter a single digit that day.

"Wait, I think I have her number." Beomgyu then tried to call her. "Wrong number."

He was disappointed, but he didn’t give up.

"Wait, let’s try calling the others, they might have it."

Unfortunately, none of them answered.

"I guess everyone was too drunk to get everyone’s number that night. Fate is playing on us. "

Without his best friend and the girl she loved, Jaemin fell into a bad circumstance. He went partying left and right, wasted his money on useless things, did not go to his part-time job, and heck, he even tried drugs at one point. He just started drinking his sadness and problems away, but because of this, his problems started multiplying.

Beomgyu tried to check on him as often as possible. Every time they meet, he seems to be in worse condition than before. Until one day, Beomgyu went to his apartment just to find that no one was there. He talked to the landlord, and it turned out Jaemin was evicted because he was unable to pay rent.

Beomgyu searched for him for months and months, offering him to live in his place in exchange for his turning away from his vices. He didn’t find him, though. His eventually gave up his fruitless search and turned to praying for him instead.

Unbeknownst to Beomgyu, Jaemin wandered the streets for a long time. He moved from city to city in the hopes of finding a place to stay. It seems that his eviction finally knocked some sense into him. He felt guilty for wasting Yeonjun’s money. He worked a couple of part-time jobs, and he even got involved with a gang at some point. He tried to gather as much money as he could.

One night, while he was walking home from a late-night shift, a car bumped him. To his surprise, it turns out it was his old friend who bumped him. Jeno. He couldn’t be happier.

"It’s been years. I wondered how you were doing. I went to Beomgyu and asked him about it. Turns out you'd been evicted from your apartment just a few weeks ago. I’ve been looking for you. Now, I was finally able to find you. "

Their friendship got better again. They’ve been on speaking terms ever since. They’ve become comfortable with each other again.

Weeks later, Jeno gave him a job at his company. Nepotism. Jaemin was hesitant, but he eventually agreed, as he realized that it was easier to support himself with the salary from this job. Eventually, he decided to quit his job and move to another city. He still meets up with Jeno pretty often, though. They occasionally have a few drinks or club nights out. Sometimes, they call Beomgyu to hang out with them, or when Jaemin wants to go clubbing alone. Jeno wants to make sure that Jaemin does not drink too much again, or else he will be addicted and make the same mistakes again.

At one point, Jaemin gained the courage to ask him if he had Winter’s number. Hearing her name said by Jaemin does not pain him anymore. He moved on, and found himself a boyfriend.

"I tried calling all of your numbers, but none of you answered. I only saw Beomgyu again after I visited the motel. Oh, and I also have Yeji’s number. We see each other at least once a month, since we’ve become business partners."

They called her, and they were informed that Winter also gave her the wrong number. She ended up calling Ryujin too, but again, Winter was a bit drunk that night to give them the correct number. Jaemin is still saddened by this, but at least Jeno and Beomgyu were by his side more frequently.

After Jeno returned home, he continued studying in business school. Later on, he was given a high position at his family’s company. A similar thing also happened with Yeji. As soon as she returned home, she thought she would be grounded. She is shocked to find out that her parents had a change of heart. The moment Yeji ran away, they realized that they'd been controlling her life for far too long.

In the end, Yeji gained a position at their company after she graduated. She already expected this to happen. What she didn’t expect, though, is that they would not force her to marry another rich guy anymore. Of course, after hearing this, Ryujin immediately comes into her mind.

It’s been years and they’ve just remained friends. They have kept in contact with each other ever since that night. They’ve had coffee together, watched movies together, and gone on vacation together. It was all platonic, though. They seem to be quite satisfied with their current relationship status. Throughout that time, they’ve dated other people, broken up, dated again, and so on and so forth. At one point, Ryujin even dated one of the girls she made out with at Vegas Club that night. They’ve broken up, though.

Currently, both of them are single. Who knows whether they will start dating each other again or move on and find other people.

Ryujin has also become successful. The next day, after she went home, she enrolled herself at the state college. She took up political science. She cut herself off from gang activities. She promised to discipline herself. And she did.

Years later, she became a human rights lawyer. She handled cases, and she won a hundred percent of those. She pushed herself to the limits to be a better person as much as possible.

One day, she was offered to handle a case. Upon hearing what it was, she immediately accepted it without hesitation.

"You didn't tell me that you've become a lawyer." Yeonjun greeted her.

"You didn't tell us that you murdered someone that night either."

"Fair point." He said, then laughed. He is happy that he saw a familiar face again after many years.

Yeonjun's sentence was reduced thanks to Ryujin's help. Aside from that, he is set to be released early for good behavior. Two years passed, and he was finally able to step outside. There he met Ryujin, who immediately went to hug him.

"Congrats!"

"It was all thanks to you."

"No, you also did a good job."

Yeonjun smiled. "I'm finally free. Let's all hang out again. "

Eventually, Yeonjun was able to get hold of all their contacts. It’s been seven years since that night. The second thing he did was to visit the motel after visiting the grave of the person he killed. He asked Ryujin to come along with him, but she wasn’t able to. He walked inside the motel alone, just like that night.

To his surprise, it changed a bit. The 90’s furniture is still present, but it has somehow significantly improved compared to the last time he saw it. The garage still has that blue pick-up truck, although it looks shinier than before.

It turns out that sometime during Jaemin’s disappearance, the owner of this motel died. Having no family and having Beomgyu as his most loyal staff, he decided to give him the motel. That night, the owner died, and Beomgyu swore to himself that he wouldn’t die alone by any means.

Beomgyu then became the new owner of the motel. He got busy, which was one of the reasons why he wasn’t able to search for Jaemin that time. He decided to keep the 90’s aesthetic but advertised the motel as some sort of themed hotel. He marketed it as somewhat of a time capsule from the 90’s for guests who wanted to try and relive the 90’s life. With financial backing from Jeno, it became a success.

With a stable income, he decided it would be his goal to finish his father’s dreams. Chicago Heights will start again. The building will serve again as a place where memorable experiences can be formed.

After learning that Beomgyu wasn’t there, he decided to go to the next place where he might be. Of course, it was the abandoned building where they made memories years ago.

He drove to that place. It still looks the same. It was already seven in the evening when he arrived at that place. The same abandoned building. It was as if nothing had changed. He brought out his new phone and used the flashlight to climb up the stairs. What am I doing? He’s probably not even here. Maybe I just want to reminisce about that day. After around thirty minutes of climbing thirty floors, he finally arrived at the rooftop.

"You’re late." Beomgyu said to him. "You see, Ryujin had this plan that we all should meet-"

He didn’t even let Beomgyu finish talking. He immediately ran to them and hugged them.

That night provided them a glimpse of freedom. They were just a group of strangers searching for freedom, who accidentally met each other at a cheap motel. It was just a short night that changed their lives.

They came searching for freedom, they saw a glimpse of it, chased it, and now they’re free.