4. York St.

A Glimpse of Freedom

It was a cold and breezy early morning. The 3 AM air feels different. Now inside their pick-up truck, they roamed the city streets. The city is desolated. Nobody is out at this hour. It looked like something straight from the backrooms.

Their truck is currently on York St., the same street where the bar is located. Beomgyu had been driving for fifteen minutes, yet he was still on the same street. The same street, which felt livelier earlier, with all the mobs chasing them. Now it is empty, eerily empty. As if an apocalypse happened. It was like they were the last humans left.

It is early in the morning. Tired, sleep deprived, drunk, and emotionally exhausted people filled up the rusty blue pick-up truck. Silence filled the air between them. Everyone seems too lazy to talk or even move.

There’s Beomgyu, who’s focused on driving. Yeonjun is plucking random strings from his guitar without the intention of playing music, just for the sake of plucking. He frequently looks out at the window to check if the other clubgoers are still following them.

"So tell me, what happened earlier?" Beomgyu asked him. "Please do not avoid my question."

"They recognized me. They know who I am. "

"What did you do to make them so angry at you?"

"I just did something terrible. Very terrible. You might even see me in the news later. "

"Yeonjun, are you serious right now?"

"Isn’t it obvious? Of course I am. You know, people say that during the early hours of the morning, people don’t often have the energy to lie."

"You’re just ing drunk." Beomgyu cannot seem to believe what Yeonjun told him.

"I might’ve drunk a bit, but I’ve sobered up from all the running earlier. And besides, I wouldn’t lie about things like this. Things like human life. Do you believe in afterlife? "

"You’re talking nonsense. You need to sleep."

"I can’t sleep in situations like this. Or maybe I don’t want to sleep right now. Play some rock music there. I want to liven up the mood. Everyone looks so ing tired. "

"Exactly, that’s why I’m not going to play some music with my phone."

"Just lower the volume so that only both of us can hear."

"Can’t do it right now, I’m driving. Don’t you have a playlist on your phone?"

"I didn’t bring my phone here."

"Fine, just get my phone in my pocket. It has no password, so it will be easy for you. "

He reached for Beomgyu’s pocket. Luckily, the phone is just located in his right pocket, so it was easy for me to get. He then unlocked the phone.

It was not like what Yeonjun expected. The phone’s wallpaper is just the default one. It has minimal apps, no apps for entertainment and games.

"It’s in the music app, the first on the playlist list."

He did what he was told to do.

"Taste." Yeonjun said. "Lucky, I know how to play some of this." He said as he scanned through a playlist full of My Chemical Romance, Green Day, and Panic at the Disco!

"That’s my emo playlist when I was in high school."

"This is still my emo playlist now." Yeonjun said, as he hit shuffle.

Unfortunately, Yeonjun forgot to lower the volume. As a result, the people riding at the back heard it.

"Do you know what’s worth fighting for?" Ryujin sang, which caused Winter, who was sleeping on Jaemin’s shoulder, to wake up.

Yeji shot a glare at Ryujin. The latter did not mind this and continued singing. Yeonjun heard her singing and decided to play along with his guitar.

The chorus hit, and Jeno decided to sing along too. "One, twenty-one guns, lay down your arms, end of the fight."

Yeji also sang along, after hesitating for a bit. She knows this song because it was one of the songs that Ryujin recommended to her. As soon as she sang, Ryujin looked at her for a split second, then went back to looking at the stars.

Even those who were unfamiliar with the song, like Jaemin and Winter, began to bop their heads along to the rhythm. The song was then followed by My Chemical Romance’s I’m Not Okay.

"You know, I’ve wished I had brought my electric guitar for this, but I was in a hurry. I just brought my acoustic, because of its sentimental value. "

As soon as the chorus huts, Ryujin stood up and sang, "I'm not okay!" Of course, she knows the song.

Yeji can't help but feel worried since Ryujin was standing at the back where she could easily fall. She then shakes off her thoughts as she realizes that she is not supposed to care for her.

Maybe it's the alcohol or maybe it's seeing his loved one happily in love with another. Jeno does not know why he feels emotional in this rather upbeat song. Maybe he is not really okay with this.

"Maybe I'm in my emo phase." He muttered something to himself, which was actually loud enough for his seatmate, Yeji, who gave him a confused stare. He then kept his eyes towards Jaemin and Winter, who cuddled as Jaemin pointed out some of the stars in the summer night.

When the bridge starts, Yeonjun suddenly leaned out of the window while raising his guitae and ing screamed, "I MEAN THIS! I'M OKAY!"

He isn't though. The others laughed at him after Beomgyu suddenly pulled him inside.

"This car is so ing old, it lacks seat belts."

"Chill dude. Nothing's going to harm me. I can't die yet. And besides, you also need to set yourself loose. "

"You know what, I love that song. I just can't let the hype get to me because I'm driving this car and the moment I take my hands off the wheel, we're all going to crash and die. Who knows whether we'll be going to heaven or hell."

As soon as Beomgyu said this, the song, Teenager, played next.

"They're going to clean out your looks! With all the lies in the books! To make a citizen out of you!"

Beomgyu can't help but sing along. After all, it was his anthem during his rebellious phase.

"Whatever. I'm going to sing the out. At least we all die listening to this song. " He remarked, making Yeonjun snicker.

A few songs later, they arrive at an abandoned building. It is already 3:30 at this point. Morning is coming soon, and they all haven't slept, except for Winter, who slept soundly on Jaemin's shoulder.

"We're here." Beomgyu said as he stepped out of the truck.

Upon hearing this, Jeno began unlocking the flap of the truck. Ryujin went down first, then headed towards the abandoned building. She is followed by Jaemin, who then assists Winter in getting down. Jeno then went down next. He then looked back at Yeji, who seemed to have difficulty walking due to being wasted earlier. Yeji took his hand, but she actually had another person in my mind who wanted to do it.

They all went inside, only armed with the flashlights on their phones. Beomgyu led them upstairs and through the cracks in the floor.

He felt an odd sense of nostalgia while wandering through the halls of this building again. He is home.

The building that they had entered was an unfinished apartment building. It was aimed to be the tallest building in the whole city, but unfortunately, it was unable to be completed due to the company's declaring bankruptcy. It is still the tallest building in the city, though, despite being uncompleted.

Before the company went bankrupt, they were able to go up to the last floor, which is the 30th floor. That floor was Beomgyu’s favourite since he could see the whole city at height and even a glimpse of the sea. The trek towards the 30th has a lot of risks, though. Due to the building's being unfinished, there are a lot of gaps in the floors. You could fall into one of these, and it could lead you to your certain death. Aside from that, the stairs leading to the 25th floor and above are barely finished. In short, they need to parkour their way up there.

Urban exploring is something that Winter has always wanted to do. She has been watching videos about it on YouTube and other platforms. As someone who is always up for a new experience, she decided to put this on her bucket list, despite knowing the dangers of urban exploration. Many urban explorers have already fallen to their deaths due to accidents like faulty platforms or blind gaps. Winter did not mind the dangers. Alcohol does make a person confident. Instead, she is happy that she is able to experience all of these things with Jaemin.

They’ve sobered up a bit, after a few floors of climbing. They were lucky they were not that drunk compared to earlier, as they were walking through some floors with visible gaps. Beomgyu must be out of his mind for making us climb even though he knows we’re a bit drunk. She thought as Jaemin assisted her through these gaps.

"Thanks, but I can handle myself." Winter played hard to get. "Oh ." She almost tripped, but she was caught by Jaemin, who laughed at her.

"I told you I should just carry you. Come on, just ride on my back. " He said as he hunched over.

"Are you kidding me? We still have twenty floors left. I'll just ride you in bed. Let's meet later at the motel. "

Jaemin’s eyes widened at what she said. His ears began to turn red. He tried to laugh it off, but he just got redder and redder.

"Oh . I said that aloud. " Apparently, there’s still a bit of alcohol left in her system.

"Get a ing room."Ryujin said as she walked past them.

Behind her were Yeji and Jeno, who had been awkwardly trying to keep a distance from the people in front of them.

"You’re jealous." Yeji suddenly said.

"What?"

"Don’t hide it. I know that look. I had the look when some girl talked to Ryujin." She said, then sighed. "I wouldn’t imagine that this day would come. The building at sunrise has a nice atmosphere for break-ups, don’t you think?"

"I can’t say anything about that. It’s your decision after all. "

"Right, why am I consulting a stranger about this? I’m probably drunk. I had quite a lot of drinks earlier, I’m running out of money soon. I kissed tons of men and women, even almost started a fight with someone while my girlfriend was there. Maybe I’m the bad influence after all. I kept on blaming all of these to her, but in the end, I’m also a ty person."

Jeno is just silent. He doesn’t know how to comfort.

"You don’t need to say anything; I just need someone to listen to me. I'm sorry I burdened you by sharing these problems of mine. This used to be Ryujin’s job, but now... I probably burdened her with those at that time. Now I’m doing the same to you. "

"Hey, it’s okay. You can say it to me. I wouldn’t mind. In fact, I actually felt a bit better, since you trusted me with this. "

"Thanks I guess. At least I was able to let some of my feelings out. It’s nice to have someone listening to you. You know, if you want, you can also talk to me about the things that have been weighing you down. If you just want it, I don’t want to force a total stranger to share their burdens with me."

"At this point, I don’t think we’re still a group of strangers anymore… Where did they go?" Jeno asked, upon realizing that they were way behind the others.

"We must hurry." Yeji said as the two of them tried to speedrun their way up the remaining thirteen floors.

Upon reaching the 29th floor, they saw Ryujin waiting for them. The moment Jeno saw her, he knew what was going to happen.

"Jeno..." Ryujin muttered his name.

"Sure." He said as he headed upstairs, leaving Ryujin and Yeji behind to settle their differences.

This marks the beginning of the end of their adventures.