FOUR: QUATTOR

The Poisonous Betrothal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IV: QUATTOR

The warm flames sizzled against the marble fireplace as I slipped into the edges of my blankets. Before I close my eyes, I am travelling through this dark tunnel again.

I wondered what would this vision be. Maybe about Lady Choi again? Or will it be another trip of my sister?

 

I am in the walls of the grand palace. The pine trees outside the windows were new and fresh. 

It was early Winter. 

The golden arches and shimmering chandelier was replaced with broken glass and splattered blood. It was nothing like the ballroom I saw in the Winter Solstice last week. It was torn apart, with flesh and bone lying everywhere, and I see my future self standing up tall amongst the center of tatters.

My future self stood in front of a golden throne. She was wearing a tiara and wore a gown of sparkling red and green, but her hair was dishevelled, the jewel on her head was tilted and she had pale cheeks and sunken eyes.

Next to her was the Crown Prince. With a tear-streaked face, he fell to his knees and opened his mouth for a beg, but he was silenced with a twist on his neck.

The murderer took another step forward.

I see my future self fall to her knees, as she closed her lifeless eyes, as if accepting her dreadful fate. 

Prince Myungsoo raised his arms again, preparing to crush her body, until he emitted an evil laugh. 

He leaned in, and whispered in her ears. 

“Your family makes good food for my vultures.” 

Her black eyes snapped open, and they widened into dark, empty holes. I heard her voice came out as a fierce whisper. “What?”

“I killed them.” 

Before she uttered a word, he clenched his fists, pulling the air out of her lungs, as air wheezed and blood clogged up . Her eyes bulged from the pale face, as she forced out her last breath. 

“W-Why…”

 

“Because you’re on the same boat with my disgusting half-brother, Princess Son.” 

 

My eyes snapped open as I stifled a scream. My hands were trembling and the warm room suddenly turned frozen.

It took decades to calm my thunderous heartbeat. The moon was up, but I could no longer slip back to sleep. Instead, I lit up my scented candles and sat on my table to decipher my new vision. 

From the start of the scene, I was with Prince Kai, and with combined of what Prince Myungsoo called me, I could deduce that…

I became the princess consort. The wife of the Crown Prince Kai, and the future Queen — until Prince Myungsoo came along, planned a revolt against Prince Kai, decided to take the throne for himself and killed us both in the process. Myungsoo also killed my family, eliminating my house. 

But I should be betrothed to Kang Minhyuk, the Metallic House of district 6. How did I end up being Princess? The King wouldn’t choose me if I was betrothed. 

The question lied in the back of my mind for the upcoming next few days. I remain hidden in the dark, as the images of my vision repeated over and over again. My mother noticed the dark circles on my eyes at dinner and muttered words of concern, but I merely forced a smile and shook my head. 

On one early morning, a messenger knocked on the door of our mansion. 

“High Lord, High lady, Lady Son.” The messenger bowed to my parents and I. He was dressed in grey and silver, the formal colour of House Metallic. 

I feel a sense of unease creep up my stomach. 

“After thorough discussion with the family, my young lord, the Viscount Kang Minhyuk has decided to cancel the betrothal between House Metallic and House Natura.” 

The first thing popped in my mind was: What about the deals that Kang’s made with my family? 

The next appeared, was that Kang Minhyuk is a coward. He was cancelling our engagement, but he couldn’t even speak for himself. 

Then, I realised that these were the answers to the fragments of my vision. 

I lowered my head and clenched my fists to the hems of my dress. I bite my lip as hard as possible, as I try to force out as much tears as possible from the rims of my eyelids. 

I hope my eyes looked red enough, because I raise my head and choke back a sob. “W-Why? Did we do anything wrong? Did I do anything wrong?” 

The Messenger dipped his head again. “I’m only under the orders of my young lord.”

I sniffed again as Chorong passed me a handkerchief.

I wiped the warmth around my eyelids as my father opened his mouth. “What about my plans with the High Lord Kang?” His voice was sharp. 

The messenger bowed. “High Lord Son, my young lord has expressed his dearest apologies. He has voiced his gratitude to the Sons, especially Lady Son, however, the Viscount believes that he and the Lady are not suitable for marriage.” 

“Rest assured, high lord, the deal between the two families is still intact, and House Metallic will continue its harmonious relationship with House Natura.”

I kept my eyes on the tiles, but I’ve heard everything I needed to hear. 

My father asked a few more questions, while I wiped the drops of tears on my face. 

The second that the messenger had his footsteps outside the door, my eyes were already dry. 

Our whole family fell into a heated discussion. Why did the Kang’s cancel our betrothal? Despite their promise that our deal is still intact, the cancellation of our engagement seems fishy. 

“They found a better house? But I don’t see any other better option than us.” My mother says. 

“But they’re still keeping the promise with us right? Isn’t it fine then?” Saeun asked.

“That’s what the family says, but you never know. If they can cancel the betrothal, who knows if they’ll cancel our deal later?”

I stand up without a word. I taste iron on the insides of my lip from biting too hard. 

My eyes are cold and sharp as I travel up the marble stairs. In my room, I gathered pieces of scrap paper, along with a pen, as I closed my eyes and regathered my visions.

I remembered the vision I had when we first came to the capitol. The vision about the King choosing his Princess, choosing the wife of his Prince. 

Suddenly, everything made sense. 

I noted down the events that led to my death.

Today: Jan 14. 

Viscount Kang Minhyuk of House Metallic has cancelled our betrothal. 

1 month later: Feb 14.

The King will recruit single ladies into the palace and choose one to become the Crown Prince’s wife. Because my engagement with the Kang’s was cancelled, I was recruited, then chosen by the King. 

Then, approximately 1 year later, right before Crown Prince Kai and I take our thrones, Prince Myungsoo will revolt against us and kill my family in the process. 

I shuddered at my dark future. 

I think back to what Prince Myungsoo said in my ears. “Because you’re on the same boat with my disgusting half-brother, Princess Son.”

That’s true. By appointing the marriage with the Crown Prince, the King has tied House Natura to the side of Prince Kai. 

We tried to maintain neutral for years, knowing that it’s lethal to choose a successor before he goes to the throne, but the King has disrupted our plans. 

Out of all the ladies, all the districts, why did the King choose me to become the future Queen?

I tightened my jaw and gritted my teeth. At this rate, if I don’t find myself another fiancé, I’ll be drawn into the succession mess. I’ll become the Princess, and I’ll get myself and my whole family killed under the hands of Prince Myungsoo.  

To avoid being chosen by the King, I need a fiancé before February 14th. I need to find a house to marry, or at least, a temporary engagement will do. I’ll be betrothed to that man, and then one year later, when war breaks out, I’ll bring my house to escape and hide in district 4, until the new King settles on the throne. 

 

I need a man in one of the districts very soon, but not just any man.

 

One year later, Prince Kai will die under the hands of Prince Myungsoo.

I cannot find a house that supports the Crown Prince, because the evil Prince will surely hunt them down 1 year later. 

But at the same time, I don’t want to marry a house that is on Prince Myungsoo’s side. As much as I know he will become the winner of the succession war, I don’t want to side with my family’s murderer. 

 

To keep myself and my house safe, I could only find a husband that is neutral - someone who does not stand on anyone’s side. 

Finding a suitable man out of the 12 districts is just like looking for a needle in a haystack.

But I have to try.

 

I don’t care if I die under the hands of Prince Myungsoo, but I will not allow my family to become food for vultures.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Taemin

I wake up to the blast of screams and shrieks in my ears.

It’s another night of torture, when I see contorted faces twisted in pain and terror.

Another night of watching those who crumble in my hands.

Sometimes I wonder if the King also has these nightmares too. Does he feel any sort of sympathy or guilt for the things he has done? Does he feel guilty for killing my sister and destroying so many homes?

Before I can even drift back to nightmare-land, the striking pain wakes me up. I stumble again and half-crawl towards the drawer, chugging down another handful of pills that only numbs the pain.

No one knows about the poison I’m suffering from - only Ravi and Jinki.

I wonder if the other lords would still call me the King’s favourites, when they realise who put

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter