THREE: TRĒS

The Poisonous Betrothal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

III: Trēs

I stay up all night.

Choi Sooyoung drowns.

She is a fire lady, so when she falls into water, it’ll definitely be lethal to her - let alone the frosty cold water in brisk winter.

I close my eyes and try to picture the image in my head again. Where will she drown? It looked like a frozen pond - maybe amongst the hills at the back of palace villas.

The only thing I’m sure - is that her accident looked like something that would happen soon. The weather might warm up slightly, melting the frozen ice on pond surfaces.

Technically, a drowning district 3 lady isn’t really my business. But they are house Ignia who controls fire. Again, they pose as a threat to my family and we must keep ourselves in a friendly relationship with them.

Who knows, if I save Choi Sooyoung’s life and she grants me a favour - maybe she’ll be a good pawn to use later.

A plan formed in my brain, as I blew off my night candles.

……

Next morning, I push open my windows to feel a gush of cold on my face. The valleys were white, and snowflakes fluttered, creating a blanket of feathers. But a streak of sunlight has escaped through the blanket layers.

A curl appeared on my lips. This was the day.

The day I become the heroine of Lady Choi.

I slipped into a teal green, high draped neck dress with dropped shoulders, tie detailed long sleeves and fitted flare skirt. Usually I wouldn’t wear green, since I’ve just worn it last night, but if I was to be Lady Choi’s saviour, it’s better if she recognises me in my house colour.

Just so she knows, that a district 4 girl is the one who saved her life.

Bomi fixed my hair and Chorong tinted up my face. I told them to wear thicker layers when we leave the house. We’ll be out in the cold for a period of time.

I walk down the marble steps, and before I slip on my heeled boots, my mother lifted her gaze up from velvety sofa.

“Where are you going?” She asked, while Bomi wrapped me in a white furry coat.

“Just to meet Hayoung for a walk.” I pretended to be busy with the zipper on my boots.

My mom drifted her eyes back onto her knitting needles. “It’s cold today! Don’t go out too long!”

“I’ll be back soon, mama.” I sent her a wave and stepped into the white paradise.

For the incoming guests of 12 houses, the Queen moved us into Palatine hills, which consists of 12 scattered mansions scattered within valleys. It is just behind the palace, which is perfect for our stay for the upcoming 3 months.

Palatine hills is huge and stretches upon probably more than 12-football fields. Obviously, I don’t know which pond Choi Sooyoung would fall in, but I figured we should start exploring the areas near district 3’s mansion.

The blizzard stopped today, and replacing it, was a tiny streak of sunlight that sent sparkles on the white forest floor.

We slid through pine trees that had white caps on their heads.

Soon, we see district 3’s mansion sits on a slope nearby.

I was wondering if we should go around the corner, but the appearance of a silhouette broke my trail of thoughts.

An orange lady wandered out of the mansion with her maid.

I sent a gesture to Bomi and Chorong. “Let’s go.”

“My lady, what are we doing today?” Bomi asked.

“We’re following her.” I pointed to the figures afar.

Chorong followed me without a word. Bomi looked like she had questions but was smart enough to keep shut. They were my closest maids, who took care of me since when we were both young. Chorong was more quiet and composed, while Bomi is more active and hyper. But they both know what to do when I’m onto serious things.

We track Choi Sooyoung from a distance, as we watch her travel through a grand courtyard in Palatine hills to reach a pond. We sneak through branches and leaves, keeping ourselves under-cover for most of the time.

I feel a trickle of scent in my nose, and I took a glance at the bushes around us.

“Bomi, Chorong, be careful.” I pointed to the plant that looked like a harmless green leaf. “There’s poison ivy around.”

“Yes, my lady.” They replied, while I leaned against a tree bunk amongst the shadows of pine trees.

Bomi couldn’t hide her curiosity for long. “My lady, why are we following her?”

Chorong silenced her with a glare, but I merely raised a cold smile.

“We will be her heroine.”

 

An hour passed, as the cold winds blasted against my eyes. But I was surrounded by furred coat, and the nature element-blood in mine could well-adapt against the harsh winter. Through the dark roots, I watched the orange lady light up a small flame in her hands, warming up her frozen cheeks, then stepped onto the ice of the pond gently. Her maid glanced carefully at the ice, but Lady Choi merely waved her hands. The maid looked again in concern, but she shooed her off.

My eyes hardened at her silhouette.

This was the time.

My nerves prickled but I kept myself still, well-hidden within the shadows of pine trees.

Then, with a flop and a scream, the fire lady was in the water.

My lips raised into a curl. My vision never fails.

 

I feel Bomi’s whisper against my ears. “My lady, are we saving her now?”

I keep myself as still as a rock for another moment.

 

“Heroines don’t make their appearances so soon.” I keep my curl up as Choi Sooyoung flops her arms helplessly.

 

The residential area was huge and stretched up to yards.

This meant, that sometimes, calls can be unheard.

I stayed for another minute, as Choi Sooyoung gobbled gulps of water, and her head sank lower and lower, until the water barely covered her eyes.

I sent a look to Chorong and Bomi, then walked out of the pine trees, just like we were only here for a walk.

I pretend to drift my glance to the raised hands in the middle of the pond.

“Oh my!” A gasp escaped my mouth. “Is someone down the waters?”

“Quickly! Call someone!” I send waves to Bomi and Chorong, who turn their heads to the empty valleys.

Remembering where Lady Choi’s maid disappeared to, Chorong fled to that direction, while I rushed to the sides of the ponds.

“Hey! Please! Hang in there!” I screamed at the dark waters.

I placed my hands on the broken ice, as a wooden bridge forms under my command. It links the ends of the pond to the center, and I sprinted on the platform. “Please hang on!”

My screams reached Lady Choi, as I saw her fingers twitched and her hands flapped harder.

Even with my arms fully stretched, I can’t reach her, but a long twig appeared between my fingers, and I shouted with all my might. “Miss! Grab onto this twig!”

Hearing my voice underwater, Choi Sooyoung desperately pushed herself upwards. A slit appeared through her closed eyelids as she stretched out her hand and clenched onto the twig.

I send a look to Bomi and she helps me pull the lady closer, then hauls her onto our wooden bridge.

“Oh my! It’s Lady Choi!” I fake a gasp. “Are you okay?” I pat her back as she coughed up the water. I removed my own fur coat and placed it around the shivering fire lady.

It took her a while to catch her breath, until I see her pupils matched mine.

She gasped as she took another cough. “L-Lady… Son?”

I nod as I gave out the softest smile I manage, then soothed her back. “Don’t worry Lady Choi, you’re safe now.”

“Take your time to catch your breath.”

A while later, we sat in a gazebo nearby. Lady Choi’s maid was now back, and I made her logs of woods to start a fire. The colour in Sooyoung’s cheeks were coming back as she inhaled the warmth.

“Thank you for saving me, Lady Son.” Sooyoung’s eyes glimmered. “I couldn’t believe what would happen if you weren’t here.” She sniffed and I handed her my handkerchief.

“No worries,” I smile, “I was just nearby for a walk.”

I’ve learned of many things across the years, including how to tell a perfect lie. Lies can be covered and layered over one another, until truth gets hidden deep down the solid cores of earth.

“How did you fall in?” I faked a gaze of concern.

Sooyoung sighed. “I thought the ice was still frozen, so it would make a nice ice-skating arena. I even got my maid to get a pair of ice skates…” She rubbed her hands against the fire. “Turns out the ice has already melted for a bit.” She pursed her lips.

She kept her stare at the sizzling fire. “I’m never going for ice skating ever again.”

She stood up with shaky legs and turned to me. I came forth to hold onto her, but she lowered her head to a bow. “Thank you so much, Lady Son.”

“Please tell me if you need any help. I will remember your kindness and repay you one day.”

I tried to keep my mouth flat as I widened my eyes and waved in denial.

“No, no Lady Choi, it’s my pleasure.”

I hold her back to her seat. Her eyes glowed and I see a shimmering orange warmth in her pupils. My coat was still on her shoulders, but everything went as planned.

Lady Choi will now see Lady Son, the eldest daughter of district 4, her heroine and her star. I haven't thought of what my favour would be, but she will soon be more than happy to repay me with anything she can manage.

 

After all, I saved her life.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The gilded doors opened.

The room was filled with golden embellishment, with a two-story ceiling in fresco and medallion. Despite the marble walls, the room was bleak and cold, and the figure stifled a sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter