TWELVE: DUODECIM

The Poisonous Betrothal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

XII: DUODECIM

“Suzy, how about this one?” Nara pointed to another sapphire necklace. “This looks perfect on you!”

Lady Bae stole another glance at the empty barks behind the glittering stalls. For the past twelve minutes and forty-eight seconds, no one noticed the Marquis’s disappearance.

Maybe they just haven’t noticed yet.

Or, maybe the Marquis did something to the crowd, so no one asked yet of his presence.

But Lady Bae isn’t just a nobody in the crowd. Her eyes are always on him, when he nods to a lord, when he curls his lips ever so slightly…

Well, Lady Bae isn’t a creep, but the Marquis has been gone for too long, and she wondered if something went wrong.

Who knows, maybe if Lady Bae catches him feeling unwell and offers tentative care…

Maybe the Marquis might fall for her instead.

“Nara, do you want to come back later?” Lady Bae forced another smile as she darted another gaze to the woods. “I need some fresh air.”

Nara shrugged. “Sure.”

With her arms linked with Nara’s, Lady Bae half-dragged, half-pulled her towards the darkness.

“Suzy, you okay?” Nara asked, while Suzy forced out a smile. “Yes, maybe we could go there—”

A silhouette emerged from the snowy canopy. His footsteps clicked against the blanketed snow, and tips of white flakes tinted the black trench coat as it swayed against the wind. The amethyst brooch on his right glimmered under the faint moonlight.

Her heart fluttered as she stared at the man approaching their way. She was about to curl her lips and raise her hand until…

Until she caught sight of his heartbreakingly handsome face.

 

The Marquis was beaming.

 

His cheekbones rose to the heavens as his lips broadened to the sides of his face.

His eyes had a glimmer that mirrored the sparkling amethyst on his chest.

 

She couldn’t help but to fall into a daze.

She had never, ever, seen him with such an expression — let alone for him to spare a smile. The most that she can make out, was barely a twitch on his lips or a dry chuckle.

But when he caught her sight, his smile vanished as his lips dropped to a flat line.

Lady Bae felt her heart drop as he strode past with a polite nod.

Maybe his smile was too bright that Lady Bae thought she might have a tint of hope, but she found herself reaching out for him.

“Marquis.” She said.

He turned, but the glimmer in his eyes was replaced by a void of darkness.

“I-I’m sorry, my lord…” She gulped. “M-May I ask if you are well?”

“S-Since…” She fought hard to find herself an excuse, “the— the lords… I overheard them worrying of your disappearance.”

She bit her lip. Instead of a smile that she had hoped he could spare, his eyes flashed dangerously before he returned an emotionless gaze towards her.

“I’m fine, Lady Bae. Thank you.” He turned away swiftly and she found herself staring at his silhouette that merged with the blur of colourful lights.

Watching all of this with frosty eyes, a sneer flickered past Lady Kwon’s face. So that’s why she wanted to leave. She smirked. It’s a shame that the daughter of the powerful House Aqua has fallen heads over heels for this man.

Of course, Kwon Nara knew that the Marquis was handsome and a good catch. If the Marquis was still single, Nara would be fine with Suzy’s attempts - but it has been three weeks since the lord had announce his marriage with Lady Son, and it was even blessed by an imperial decree from the King, yet Suzy still had that futile hope in her head.

Nara thought Suzy would be smarter and cooler than this - being the almighty winner - oh, ex-winner of Ms. Elantris, but she was just an insubstantial and superficial lady.

Kwon Nara faked a smile. She was getting tired of this love-sick lady. “Suzy, did you smell it?”

Her voice broke Lady Bae out of her daze. She turned to her. “Hm?”

“When the Marquis walked past —” Nara snickered, “Did you not smell a whiff of flowers?”

Lady Bae froze.

Only one lady possesses the scent of flowers.

Kwon Nara watched in amusement as gruesome colours flickered past Bae Suzy’s face. She was merely teasing the lady, loving to see that pretty face filled with hatred, yet a series of footsteps proved her theory.

Naeun’s palms sank under her clenched fists as she hissed under her breath. She couldn’t believe that she had lost to him — twice, to be exact. She was supposed to be the smarter one, the one who brought her family safe by securing a deal - and a deal with the almighty Marquis. She was the Son Naeun who had everything in her hands and under her control.

Yet she couldn’t control her heart when he leaned in to her lips.

Heat still lingered on her cheeks as she stepped out of the snowy garden. She repeated to herself that once she gets out of here, there’s no way he could take another point. Just because he’s handsome, that doesn’t mean anything — hey, she was even selected as Ms. Elantris — the most beautiful woman on this continent.

There’s no way she would lose to someone like him.

And when she catches the sight of two silhouettes, the flames in her eyes were replaced by softness and her gritted teeth were replaced by a curl on her lips.

The play was back on.

With a tightened jaw, Lady Bae turned her head to the only competitor that she lost to.

The plant sorceress had a faint blush on her cheeks, along with a shy curl and light footsteps. Like the marquis, her coat was also tinted with white flakes, she could even see a faint moist coating her outerwear.

The code was cracked.

 

That was the reason why he had a bright smile on his face.

 

Son Naeun was the reason.

 

Lady Bae felt flames rising up against her chest as she fought down a snarl.

“Lady Bae, Lady Kwon.” Son Naeun smiled politely.

“Lady Son.” Kwon Nara said lightly, but her eyes tinted in mischief. “We just saw the Marquis walked by!”

Naeun flinched deliberately, then faked a smile. “Oh, really?”

While Lady Bae had eyes in blazing heat, Kwon Nara gave Naeun a knowing look. “You weren’t with him?”

Naeun shook her head, yet the curl and a bite of her lips says it all.

Kwon Nara kept the look of amusement on her eyes, while Bae Suzy curled her fists silently.

But Naeun caught sight of the lady’s flaming anger. She smirked inwardly, then raised her hand to place a strand of hair behind her ear.

More specifically, she raised her right hand.

The one with the ring.

Immediately, the purple jewel glistened under the faint moonlight, enough for the two ladies to spot the amethyst that was identical to the brooch on the lord’s right .

Kwon Nara widened her eyes, while Naeun could feel a rise of boiling steam from Bae Suzy.

“Lady Bae, Lady Kwon, I’ll see you two at the banquet.”

……

Tables laden with delicacies line the walls. A huge chandelier hung above the ceiling, while golden candle lights and burgundy rolled napkins sat on the white table sheets. The banquet was held in two different rooms - one for the lords, and one for the ladies. In the capitol, sometimes such separation were made for the lords to extend their deals and political talks. After all, ladies were excluded from governing state affairs.

The Princess took up the head seat, followed by the Duchess and Lady Bae. Following down the long dining table, Naeun and her two friends took their respective seats. Lady Bae was further away from Naeun, but Lady Kwon’s seat was closer, making it easier for the loudmouth to spread the news of her ring.

“Lady Son, what is this ring?” Lady Kwon pointed it out as soon as they seated.

Naeun faked a shy smile - after the ‘interrogation’ from the tea party last time, she is starting to get used to this sort of treatment.

“Isn’t that an amethyst?”

Her loud voice brought the attention of the important figures on the ends of the table.

“Amethyst? That’s the gem for district 12, right?” The Duchess said, while Princess Jennie raised her brows.

Naeun placed her hands respectfully on the table. “Y-Yes, your grace.” She stole a glance before lowering her head.

“I-It’s… the family ring of House Detorquere.”

A deafening silence echoed, then the roar of swoons and squeals and calls followed.

“The Marquis gave you his family ring?”

“It’s an engagement ring? Did he propose?”

“Oh my gosh, the amethyst looks incredible!”

“Isn’t it identical to the high lord’s brooch?”

“Oh my, it suits you a lot, Lady Son!”

Naeun fought down the annoyance in her chest as she addressed each of the ladies’ pestering questions. It was indeed Taemin’s plan, so she had to follow.

“Amethyst also represents February right? That’s so sweet of his lordship to propose this month!”

Naeun had never heard of that, but before she replied, Hayoung added with a gleeful smile.

“Unnie, your birthday is in February!”

Her comment was followed by another series of coos.

“Wow! The family ring is linked to your birthday month — Lady Son, you and the Marquis are really meant to be!”

“And the lord even proposed on your birthday month, this is all too sweet!”

“This must be fate!”

Naeun was slowly getting used to this sort of fawning words. After a week of rest, she dissected the words of the ladies at the tea party. They engulfed her in swoons and praises - partly because her fiance is indeed a good catch, but mainly because she will become the Marchioness.

The Marchioness. The wife of the powerful Marquis.

Who knows, if Naeun says a few nice words about their house to the Marquis, maybe he would send some words to the King, and then their district would have mercy from hell.

In a way, she is more powerful than the Duchess or the Princess - after all, the two royal women does not have any power over politics, neither they have the power to convince the King.

This was the moment when Naeun realised why both the royal women had sent her cold, detached looks.

Because their position is being threatened.

Soon, all the ladies would flood her with more fawning smiles and luxurious gifts than the royals.

Someone like Lady Bae would hold pride in such a new, powerful position, but for Naeun, it was a burden on her shoulders. After all, she will soon be placed on the same boat as Taemin. If Taemin messes up, or, if Naeun messes up her relationship with ladies — they would both crumble together. Naeun will lose her safest protection, and her safe house would tumble down.

She had to be careful from now on — from every word, every gesture to even a blink of an eye — she could never let her guard down.

At least, till one year later when they divorce.

The ladies say it’s fate, but Naeun only scoffed inwardly.

If fate forced her family to death, forced her to find protection and forced her to become his personal healer, she would’ve cursed fate itself.

The night darkens, and of course, Naeun does not miss Lady Bae’s tightened jaw and forced smiles, but the ladies quickly got distracted by other topics, so Suzy’s pursed lips were soon loosened, and Naeun was no longer the person of spotlight.

……

In the adjacent room, wine glasses were filled, emptied, refilled, then emptied again.

After rounds of alcohol, straightened backs slacked and dry chuckles turned into boisterous laughs.

The two Princes also seemed to have loosened their gazes and postures, but only one person still kept his guard high.

Like the others, Taemin leaned back on his chair and loosened his lips, but that doesn’t mean his mental guard had loosen any further.

He was seated on the seat closest to the Crown Prince, just opposite Prince Myungsoo, with a few more couple crucial lords around him.

He was seated on the ring of fire.

However, just because he has never let his guard down, it doesn’t mean the others haven’t.

A few seats down the table, a young noble had laughed boisterously with blushed cheeks. He had noticed the Marquis seemed to be letting off more smiles.

“Ah, my lord—” A noble of one of the districts hiccuped, “you’re getting the best choice for a wife—”

Others followed the comment, knowing that House Natura is a powerful family and Lady Son being one of the most beautiful ladies amongst the districts.

Seated a few seats beside the young noble, Kang Minhyuk only forced another smile on his lips. The noble told him the exact same words merely two months ago at the opening ceremony. Now, he is directing the words to the Marquis.

Taemin casted a nonchalant gaze towards the drunk noble.

“That face, that body—” He uttered a sound between a laugh and a hiccup. “My lord will get what he wants in bed…”

The whole room fell into a deafening silence. Crown Prince Kai frowned, while Prince Myungsoo raised his brows.

“When you’re done with the experience, make sure to share with us! I—”

 

Suddenly his neck twitched backwards. His laugh turned into a wheeze, then a choke, as he tumbled to the floor. His knees weakened to a kneel as his hands travelled to his hair. His face contorted into a silent scream of agony.

 

The others, who had been watching with disdain and amusement and boredom, now turned to the Marquis. Now possessed a shadow of fear in their eyes as they realised who and what, exactly, sat amongst them.

 

Taemin merely raised his glass to his lips.

Prince Myungsoo’s brows raised further in amusement, while the Crown Prince pursed his lips.

A servant rushed out and collapsed his knees to a kneel for his drunk lord.

The Marquis stood up, ignoring the begging servant. He bowed towards the two princes.

“Your highnesses, please allow me to offer my sincerest apologies.”

Prince Myungsoo raised a sneering curl on his lips, while Prince Kai shook his head.

“Bring that lord out of here.” The Crown Prince commanded, as another couple of servants dragged the tormented noble out of the room.

Taemin kept himself standing as he scanned the silenced crowd.

“I hope I have not interrupted the fruitful evening, lords.”

“Please bear in mind that—” His eyes were void of darkness.

“If anyone disrespects or defames the Marchioness…”

 

His smouldering orbs pierced through each of the trembling souls.

 

“Their minds will shatter and explode in oblivion.”

 

Ignoring the frosty atmosphere, he bowed again to the two princes. “It was my pleasure to be seated alongside your presence. I wish a good evening you, your highnesses.”

~~~~~~~~

Naeun

“If anyone disrespects or defames the Marchioness—”

“Their minds will shatter and explode in oblivion.”

Amongst the soft glow, I watch the silhouettes of candle flames flicker against the swift footsteps.

The last time I heard provocative taunts was from Kang Minhyuk and his fellow lord companion.

This time, I have Taemin on my back. I know this is probably part of his act — but seeing someone acting up for my sake… it does feel sort of— calming.

And the arrival of a rush of warmth to my heart.

I shake that off. It’s just an act, and out of all emotions, I cannot be afford to feel warmth from him. I only let out a scoff for the stupid lord who blurted out such impudent words from his mouth. Serves him right.

“You don’t look happy.” A voice echoed behind me.

“If you’re becoming his wife, you better not act like a mute.” I turn myself around to match Bae Suzy’s intensive stare.

“Who says I’m not happy?” I raise a curl on my lips.

She’s jealous that I’ve taken her title of Ms. Elantris, and I’ve taken

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter