ONE: UNUS

The Poisonous Betrothal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I: UNUS

The morning sun shot beams through my glass window, and I winced slightly, as my fingers travelled to the wooden chest, picking another pair of emerald earrings into my small collection.

My maids were outside, bringing my luggage downstairs to the front door. They’ve already polished my face, and I picked the last of my jewels.

My name is Son Naeun, and within the 12 districts of Elantris, I live in district 4 - The district of nature. As the 147th descendant of our gods, I am the eldest daughter of House Natura, governors of our district.

My house posses the ability to manipulate earth and plants. We make flowers and plants to bloom in an instant, manipulate tree branches, control spores and pollen, bring plants back to life and make them sprout seeds and fruits.

After the rebellion 75 years ago, the 12 districts were punished by the capitol to export all their resources. Our district is in charge of providing the capitol’s agriculture roots. From wheat to berries and tea leaves, we give the capitol residents their food. Because of this, even after the rebellion, the capitol had favoured us, allowing us to save some of our exports to feed our district residents.

My father always told us that our district were one of the ‘well-off’ ones, with healthy, well-fed residents who farmed in the fields for day and night. My younger sister couldn’t really get the idea, but I followed my father through other districts to make deals and strengthen relations.

Indeed, we were considered lucky.

Though the districts harvest all of the country's resources, such as coal, textiles, electricity, transportation, grain and livestock, they must export almost all of their resources to serve the Capitol's citizens and their overwhelming greed. As a result, many districts, such as 11 and 12 don't have enough resources to power their own district or enough food to feed their citizens.

Sometimes I questioned the King’s punishments, whether it’s fair to the people or not, but the King is the King, and we were in no position to second thought his decisions.

The figure in my mirror is tall and lean with birdlike features, with an angular face, and pale skin. She looks elegant, refined, and sharply beautiful. Her eyes are a solid deep brown and she has long wavy black hair. My parents’ two daughters were beautiful, but only one would succeed the position of my father, and become the high lady of district 4. The other, will be married off to another district, as part of an alliance. Although I am more experienced and powerful than my sister, I was chosen to be married off.

“Naeun! Are you done with packing?” My mother’s voice pierced through the air.

“Yes, mama! I’m coming!” I shouted, as I stuffed the last of my accessories in the chest box.

Every year, the governors of each region will gather for the annual cabinet meeting in Winter Solstice. This year, it was also the King’s 60th birthday. The monarch and his Queen invited all 12 ministries and their families to attend, and stay until Spring, for the celebrations and festivals.

We will head to the capitol.

My two maids packed some of my luggages, while I skipped down the marble stairs with a bag of my own.

Our estate is palatial, at the far end of a road lined by immaculate hedges. We spot out into a wide square of stone, with the estate house occupying one side, the other filled with charming red brick and white trim, rows of polished windows hung with blooming flower boxes, fluted columns, florid balconies and the largest tree. Branches arc over the pointed roof, growing in conjunction with the structure. Not a twig or leaf out place, perfectly sculpted like a piece of living art.

If you ignore the white sheet of snow fluttering outside the window, you might forget that its winter.

Flowers of every kind dominate our foyer, blooming from crystal vases, painted on the walls, modded on the ceiling, worked in glass in the chandeliers or in stone mosaic on the floor, the smell is intoxicating, calming with every breath.

The walls of the gates were surrounded by special barriers, thorns and vines specially developed by my mother to keep out visitors.

I stepped through the barrier, and took a glance at my home.

My district.

It was deep winter, but our hills were green. Even in winter, we have pine trees, snowdrops, winterberries and hollies that could withstand the cold brisk wind.

Well, the next time I come back, my region would be a colourful blanket of flowers.

After this one last glance, I hopped into my family’s special carriage, more specifically, a very, very large tree bunk.

Inside the tree bunk, my father raised his hands, and the ground shuddered, as roots sprouted from the ground, lifting us in mid-air towards the capital.

……

I only found the truths of winter when we arrived the Capitol. Outside the gates of the palace, a rush of cold blasted onto my face. The hills were blanketed in white and glimmered under the faint sunlight. Barks were empty, with lumps of snow on its edges. I fought the urge to revive the tree to life, and turned to the familiar faces around us.

With a gush of spiralling air, a family dressed in white appeared through the breeze. House Ventus, governors of district 5. My father and the wind lord exchanged warm greetings, while the daughter of House Ventus had her eyes lit up, as she raised her arms to a wave. I return the grin.

“Naeun unnie!” Hayoung took a step forward as we shared a warm embrace. Her scent was a fresh rush of minty, pine breeze.

“Its been a while, Hayoung.” I smiled.

The Oh’s could have arrived sooner, but I was sure they were just late because Hayoung procrastinated.

The sharp screech of a shimmering carriage interrupted our reunion. It’s metal doors swung open, revealing a house suited in velvet and heavy grey armour.

Hayoung gave me a teasing nudge, while I secretly hope I don’t look too disappointed. After all, this shouldn’t be an expression shown when you see your betrothed.

My betrothed, is the eldest Son of the metal house — Viscount Kang Minhyuk from District 6.

Years ago, House Natura has made a deal with their nearby district governors, House metallic, to engage their eldest children in an engagement, in return for a steady and solid alliance.

The Kang’s manipulate and create metal, which is also extremely valuable for us and the capitol.

We need metal to distribute our resources across the regions. Wood and Metal compliment each other, just like how you need axes to cut trees.

Before the betrothal, I’ve wondered what would it be like to marry out of love and live happily ever after.

But fairytales are only fairytales.

In my world, there is no forever, romantic love. Only profit and convenience.

Marriage is something to be exploited, something to take advantage of, especially when my family needs it to survive.

I don’t need romance. The only sort of love that I need and cherish, is the love I share with my family.

My precious family, and my house’s dignity and future.

The only things I vow to protect.

As the lord and his wife exchanged greetings with us, I watch Kang Minhyuk step out of the car, alongside his two younger siblings — Kang Daniel and Kang Seulgi.

I wanted to wave to Seulgi, since it’s been a while we’ve seen each other, but a figure blocked my sight.

“Naeun-ssi.” My betrothed gave a flashing smile.

I tried my best to smile back. “Minhyuk-ssi.” I settle in for a nod.

There was a reason why I keep my walls up from him. The way he looked at me was different from the way my father looked at my mother. It was not a look out of love and appreciation — there was a linger of annoyance and conceit.

Kang Minhyuk doesn’t truly like me.

But, who cares?

I didn’t have any feelings for him to begin with, anyways.

The viscount and I will marry next year. The Kang’s wanted their eldest son to succeed his father’s position as high lord first before marrying me. While marriage is in preparation, the Kang’s promised trade and continuous distribution of metal and support to the Son’s.

“How have you been?” He asked.

“Great. You?”

He nodded. “I was looking forward to seeing you today.” He winked, but I can’t find myself to smile back.

Instead, I drift my glance away briefly, hoping my lack of facial expression wouldn’t be too noticeable.

“It must’ve been cold standing outside. Let’s get back in.” He smiled as we followed the lords inside the palace.

I wasn’t really cold. Thanks to the essence of winter plants inside my blood, I don’t feel cold easily. Obviously, I don’t tell him that, so I just follow him without a word.

I searched for Hayoung, but that girl left me walking alone with my betrothed. I send her a curse inwardly.

“Take care Naeun-ssi, my heart would hurt if you got sick.” He chuckled again as he placed a light touch on my furred shoulders.

I forced another smile as we parted ways to our own courts in the palace.

…...

Dozens of maids, alongside our own, pack our villa as they help us unpack our belongings.

I settled in next to my sister, Saeun on the velvety sofa, munching an apple that appeared magically in my hands. Before I could ask her if she wanted a bite, I found myself drowning into darkness.

 

My mind spirals through this long black tunnel, and then I’m in the palace.

More specifically, I’m in the throne room, watching the King on his golden chair, as he spoke to the 12 lords.

I see a nearby calendar flip its pages against the breeze. February 14th.

“Spring is the perfect time for a new beginning. Am I right, lords?”

They nod their heads and mutter agreements.

“Lords, I would like to find a wife for my Crown Prince. Over all 12 houses, I hope to recruit the best ladies into the palace. They must be coming of age and single - not even betrothed.”

 

The vision fades, and I found myself in the palatial villa again, but my half-eaten apple is in Saeun’s hands.

She took another bite, then said in muffled voice. “Another vision?”

I nod.

I had these visions since childhood, when our older brother died in an accident. My ancestors must have pitied us, or my brother was probably watching us from above, because shortly after his death, I acquired a special ability.

A vision of the future.

It would be an occasional black out for a few seconds, when I would see clips and images of the near future. Usually, it was just small clips of normal life, like seeing my sister stung by a bee. But this time, it was different.

“What did you see this time?” My sister asked as she crunched down another apple.

“The King is selecting one of the ladies to be his son’s wife. A Princess and a future Queen.”

Saeun raised her brows. “Why did you see that?”

I shrugged.

She swept off the crumbs and stood up. “Well, that doesn’t apply to me and you.” It’s true. My sister wasn’t at the age for marriage yet, and I was already betrothed to the Kang’s, so the King’s announcement shouldn’t apply to us. Saeun walked behind sofa to up the stairs.

I watch her move across the room. Suddenly, I was reminded of a vision few months ago. Without sparing another glance at her, I reached for a cherry tomato on our plates. “Watch your step.”

Saeun kept her back against me as she waved her hands and rose up the steps. “Another vision of yours? I don’t believe in—”

She splat on the marbled stairs with her face flat against the cold stones.

I turned back and stifled a laugh. “I told you to be careful.”

……

We travelled through a stretching passage illuminates by skylights, lined by a gallery of statues and paintings dedicated to monarchy. The hall was lined with white lacquered wood, silvers dark gold trim, inlaid with mother of pearl and ruby. The guards and maids bowed their heads as we walked past, until we came across a pair of huge golden doors.

The long ballroom has polished timber arches and brilliant cut-glass windows looking out on the valley as night falls. The fire of sunset sparkles off mirrors that make the space seem grander and bigger. Overhead, cast-iron hoops are set with a thousand candles, flickering with golden flame. The chamber is three stories tall, towering windows of crystal and coloured glass beach one depicting the Color’s of the high houses. The result is a dozen rainbows arcing over a marble floor veined with black granite, each beam of light a prism shifting through the diamond facets of chandeliers worked into trees, birds, sunbeams, constellation, storms, infernos and typhoons.

My sister stifled her widened eyes, as she whispered in my ear. “You can’t see the bruise right?”

I nodded, as we found ourselves in a flock of colors that splits around the Spiral Garden with cold grace. The ballroom fits the entire assembled court, all the lords and ladies with their extended fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter